Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Just out of seeing this in one sitting with an interval, which I will say is certainly the way to see it. Overall I thought it was very good, in a lot of ways its probably Von Trier's easiest film, the first part was a lot funnier than I expected it to be the Mrs H chapter was really good in this regard, the second part was a
lot closer to the dark film I was expecting the scene with her getting the forty lashes was quite disturbing, the end took me by surprise and was both a shock as well as putting the rest of the film in quite a different light.

Skeesix posted:

Gainsbourg's character has a scene with two black guys. Come to think of it that scene was pretty racially bad as well. They didn't speak english and in order to set it up she asked an interpreter who was "familiar with the African Languages." Apparently they were brothers who got into an argument in the middle of it. Meanwhile, their erect dicks are wagging back and forth in front of her face and it's pretty clearly played for laughs. Like most of the theatre was guffawing. She tells Skarsgaard's character about it and says that "Anyone who says they are not attracted to negros is lying, but that at the end of the day they've never satisfied her." Skarsgaard's character protests that you shouldn't use that word and Gainsbourg's character suddenly becomes a von Trier self-insert ( :rimshot: ) who says that whenever you restrict yourself from using a word blah blah blah you've heard this a million times.

I also only brought up the Danish word "Neger" because the subtitles directly translated "negro" to that word and maybe he thinks that since the word isn't literally "friend of the family" then it's not so bad. Others have expressed a similar inclination: http://cphpost.dk/news/mp-black-people-should-be-called-neger.8407.html

edit: Regarding that last part, I don't know if it was clear but I didn't mean it to be a defense of von Trier. Merely a guess as to why von Trier is spouting the same crap we've been hearing from racists in America for the last X years.

Yeah this scene struck me as a bit dodgy especially with the line about calling a spade a spade, the use of the word spade left me a bit uncomfortable in regards to the discussion that was being had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Taear posted:

I've probably just seen the same one (in the UK at a bunch of cinemas played back to back).

I enjoyed it, but I didn't find it at all shocking and I completely agree about the "Negro" stuff and a big chunk of dialogue spread over the film was very much just Trier using Joe as a self insert. Still even with that, it was good. Skaarsgard as the voice of the audience was a really cool trick and it brought me into the film a lot more.

The ending completely ruined it though. I understand they're saying 'nobody can control their urges and she is wrong to think she can' but gently caress that, he's represented us for the whole film and I didn't want him to try and rape her.

Yup the same showing, I was up at one in Birmingham it really made we want to go the cinema the main showing was in it looks like a great cinema.

I'm still not sure what to think about the ending at all when I said it put the film in a different light I mean it suggests he was never really sympathetic towards Joe, he was just acting like that to hear her story and get off on it, is this suggesting that perhaps we the audience are not sympathetic to her either and just want to see the sex scenes? Considering how little sex there was and how much less shocking it was compared to what the marketing suggested it could lead to an assessment that perhaps this is the point of the film, a comment on him being viewed as a 'shocking' film maker rather than just a good film maker. I'm just musing a bit here, I think I need to think about it all a bit more.

• Locked thread