Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LoadCapacity
Apr 23, 2002

Binary Logic posted:

Another reason I like Nymphomaniac. Due to the subject matter, the storytelling style and the casual pace, this movie had me reflecting back on relationships and some of the women I've known or known about, throughout the years.

While I can enjoy big budget action flicks too, it was a nice change to have a movie get me musing about the past in that manner.
PRECISELY why I want to see this...well, there are other reasons as well, of course. And am I the only one who really loved Dancer in the Dark, despite falling asleep and dream-watching it a few times before actually sitting, conscious, through its entirety? Good Lord I can't wait until a few more hours have passed, so that I can make a deposit and rent it on Amazon... I only realized it was available online earlier tonight, after this Mormonville town's stores are all shut down. :ohdear:

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's kind of brilliant, this movie is effectively critic-proof because any negative review can just be dismissed as something something puritans.

My thoughts echoed this, the moment I first heard about this movie on a radio station driving through the middle of nowheresville, Wyoming... clever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LoadCapacity
Apr 23, 2002

Skeesix posted:

Part of my doom view of the movie may be that I work in math and I found the mathematical allusions to be particularly cringe-worthy.

Agreed, completely agreed -__-

[rantvent]I spent an hour entering my card information and ordering, re-entering my name and address & ordering again, and again...to no avail. Wouldn't play, no matter how many times I tried all of the things that the tech support robots will tell you from "is your computer plugged in?" to making sure that every piece of pertinent information is entered correctly, case sensitive, and that your name, address & apartment number are correct and match that of the information the bank has in their system...rebooted, re-logged in. I've been (pathetically) teaching myself programming languages since age nine, bought my first .com at age eleven... and began online shopping somewhere in that time frame, some twenty years ago, so goodness, I should be able to handle a flipping online transaction?! Anyway. I received several "your order didn't work" bullshit emails from amazon and gave up, turning to google. I searched "watch Nymph()maniac" and perhaps the second result down...clicked on a link and bam, free viewing. Sweet. Thoroughly enjoyed Part II of the movie, realizing that it had its faults, as you folks have discussed... attended to some parental duties after my hedonist two hours of movie viewing with headphones (big no-no as a parent, but it's the first time I've done so in months, perhaps years, so I'm forgiving myself)... now back to finding Part I, because Joe's soul tree is all twisted and beautiful, and I need to see its roots... so I begrudgingly head back to amazon, because this same website doesn't have part I. So yeah, I deposited $15 to ensure there would be sufficient funds for part two. Check Amazon out...Now it shows that my order is complete... For part two?! What the poo poo is this? It was easier to watch it free that screw around with running off to the bank to deposit just enough $, the 9.99 one (I'm broke okay; single mom, student, living off of student loans and the graces of God & whatnot) now... I want to watch part I, and I'm thinking... sweet, it's only 6.99, let's give this another shot. No go, because whilst watching the first portion too incredibly effortlessly (and illegally? unintendedly so, of course...), the stupid charge finally goes through and eats the $ up so that I don't have 6.99 left to order part one. Off I go, to the bank...to deposit $5, making my balance $10. Let's hope this works :([/ventrant]

Anyway, I loved it, really did... Not very familiar with the director; so shoot me. I live in nowheresville, Utah at the moment, and have 50 hours of poo poo to do in a 24 hour day, pretty consistently. Ahhh, life choices. Anywho, I LOVED Dancer in the Dark... then again one of my all-time favorite movies is A Life Less Ordinary, which nobody likes. I often toy with the idea that anyone who actually ENJOYS that movie with me is the person I'll end up with. So far everyone I've introduced to it vehemently hated it... I mean, with a passion... so what does that tell you? The only other person who I've enjoyed it with is my younger sister, when we were children... and ending up with her is all sorts of wrong.

So I am now on a quest to, somewhere along with school & parent life, fit in a relentless and obsessive quest to track down and watch all of his films.

On a different note, I developed a definite newfound respect for Shia Won'tevenbutcherhislasname... in searching for a decent trailer for this, I stumbled upon an official looking pile of cast interviews, thoroughly enjoying his & "Joe's" actress... she's impressive. I enjoyed this movie in part due to her very authentic self-portrayal, throwing bits of herself into her character... Did anyone else want to give her a big fist in the air, or hug, for ripping up her speech to the "SEX ADDICT" group therapy session?! WE ARE NOT THE SAME, I AM A NYMPHOMANIAC, NOT A SEX ADDICT... however she put it. I for one, having much personal experience with group therapy sessions, was very pleased with this scene.

Off to obtain Part I... and everything else Von Trier has done...

• Locked thread