Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
Just going off of what I've seen of Von Trier's films, I'm making the assumption that the majority if not all of the sex in this film is not going to be touching upon the intimacy associated with the act. When I hear the term Nymphomaniac i've always associated it with addiction, and nothing rational or positive ever comes of that. I used to have a hard time understanding the concept of sex addiction, but after going through some drug related hell, I can guess that people that suffer from it are not having the time of their lives. If anyone can take sex and make you believe that it can be as horrifying an addiction as heroin, I think Von Trier can pull it off. After seeing Antichrist, I'm starting to think that Nymphomaniac will do for sex what Requiem for a Dream did for drugs, and then some.

I could be wrong. The term Nympho isn't a scientific term, and has no measure to decide what is too much sex drive and what isn't I guess this could be a film about how awesome sex is and how wrong it is to judge people for having a lot of it. I doubt it though, Lars is a grim fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Except this film already exists and is called "Shame". I'm not saying your theory couldn't be right, but I kind of have to think that Lars is going to give us something we're not really going to expect.

I completely forgot about shame.

• Locked thread