Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

StoneOfShame posted:

Just out of seeing this in one sitting with an interval, which I will say is certainly the way to see it.

I've probably just seen the same one (in the UK at a bunch of cinemas played back to back).

I enjoyed it, but I didn't find it at all shocking and I completely agree about the "Negro" stuff and a big chunk of dialogue spread over the film was very much just Trier using Joe as a self insert. Still even with that, it was good. Skaarsgard as the voice of the audience was a really cool trick and it brought me into the film a lot more.

The ending completely ruined it though. I understand they're saying 'nobody can control their urges and she is wrong to think she can' but gently caress that, he's represented us for the whole film and I didn't want him to try and rape her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Skeesix posted:

Also, I don't think I've seen it mentioned in any reviews, but on the train in the first part of the movie, Joe very obviously rapes the guy going home to his wife, right?

Pretty much. There's a lot of contraversial stuff in the film that reviews never seem to mention, I find it quite weird.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Am I the only one that thought Shia LeBeouf sounded way more natural with a British accent than his normal American accent? :stare: It weirded me out every time he spoke because he honest to god sounded like a more cultured version of himself and now I feel like I'll never be able to take him seriously when I hear him speak in his normal accent again (not that I ever have).

Have you never heard anyone from the UK speak? All the reviews here mention how his accent is completely and utterly terrible, switching around from sort of londonish to Australian then a bit Irish and everything in between. In some ways it has spoiled the movie in the UK altogether because the reviews harp on about it so much.
After his performance here I feel like he shouldn't be given a part in any other movie ever.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

TrixRabbi posted:

Did anybody else absolutely hate the ending? If the film had literally cut to black one minute before the actual ending it would have been astoundingly better.

Lots of us earlier up the thread when the film came out did. People have said that it's Lars saying "Stellen represents the audience and really you've just come to watch sex, so that's what he wants too" but it doesn't fit for me enough and it honestly ruined a lot of the film.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

acephalousuniverse posted:

There's a huge discussion about how no one can escape their sexuality and the entire movie is about how civilization is basically a pretension. Like the entire movie telegraphs that moment and when it happens it feels more inevitable than anything, I have no idea how it could come out of nowhere for you unless you were taking everything he said at face value and not thinking about what was going on.

You just expect better. It's too predictable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

superjew posted:

I would have liked it better if the guy in front of me didn't laugh heartily at Seligman's line before he gets shot. It twisted the moment for me. Our community theater put it on in two parts separated by a week; is this how it's meant to be viewed? I really would have preferred the full movie with an intermission. It was hard for me to remember details from part I that would have made the ending a little less shocking for me.

I watched it as a long film with an intermission, I can't really see it working otherwise.

• Locked thread