Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

SALT CURES HAM posted:

They make the O a vagina, cause Lars is so fuckin edgy guys.
I don't know that it's intended to be edgy, it's just funny given the subject matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Skeesix posted:

Also, I don't think I've seen it mentioned in any reviews, but on the train in the first part of the movie, Joe very obviously rapes the guy going home to his wife, right?
Yeah. Also, in retrospect, Seligman's dismissal of that rape and framing of it as not only morally OK but even positive ("relieving" the man) should have been a giant flag to me as to Seligman's nature. Before seeing Part II I just waived his reaction to that story off, vacillating between thinking that Seligman was either (1) sperging out and failing to understand what Joe was trying to tell him, or (2) concealing his judgment in an effort to avoid reinforcing her self-loathing.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Seconding the Cronenberg Crash, even if I do wish it had a little more humor about it.
There's a perverse joy/joy in perversion that didn't translate well from Ballard's writing to the film, but Crash is definitely worth watching for anyone who finds Nymphomaniac interesting (my primary complaint with Crash the movie is that its mood is clinical and detached, while the book is nauseatingly insistent about the liberating potentials of shared paraphilias; the film treats the sexual practices of the characters as strange, the book indicts the reader's hangups).

• Locked thread