Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenby
Apr 26, 2012

To answer some stuff I saw in this thread:

- Nation transferring does not mean the characters actually transfer it just means you can pay to switch to a different nation and start over with new characters. Your previous characters remain frozen until you switch back to the original nation. You can do this for free during breaks between map wins and new accounts are free, so it's kinda pointless to pay.

- If the CSR person says they're not doing Sony transfers right now, then he's probably right. There's no CS Dept., it's just three dudes (Fodder, Half-Hitch, and Hamled) who run the company so it's unlikely you're talking to an uniformed flunky. They were manually transferring accounts for awhile and hopefully they'll do it again in the future, but they've been in panic mode lately trying to do redo the website, account system and stuff.

- The final cash model will be 20% completely free ships, 60% partner ships (meaning the builder must buy the recipe but no impact on the end buyer), and 20% premium ships. They had a big post on this on the forums but of course that's gone now. I really don't mind it and find I pay way less buying recipes then I did paying for a bunch of accounts. Unfortunately, as they continue to phase out free ships with every patch, the community flips out and acts like the new business model is a complete shock to them. The community for this game is the absolute worst btw.

- People say buccs are the pirate econ class, but honestly there's no pirate econ class. Buccs can't use advanced recipes or advanced structures and none of the pirates give a rat's rear end about keeping infrastructure levels high so good luck competing. In fact, the only good infrastructure ports like La Isabela are kept up by french alts because they are convenient for us. Plus, the general layout of rat ports sucks for econ. Oh, and they literally never updated careening camps. They were really cool in the beginning and pirates could throw together decent ships just using PVE salvage, but they never added a single new recipe so they are completely useless nowadays.

- The accuracy changes will heavily effect falloff. The new graphs they showed have a really, really steep falloff. You're pretty much in range or you're not. Part two of the accuracy changes is that you will be able to install custom guns in each gun port. So instead of nats = range and rats = useless in pb's, people can fit their ships with whatever range & lb guns they want. In the short term, I don't really know how much help just the falloff change will give rats. I guess it will at least prevent us nats from cheesing our range to 80 billion miles and still getting 70% accuracy with those dumb fishing mods.

Speaking of mods, there are cargo expanders in the Po8 seasonal shop. 25% increased cargohold and you can fit two. If you're at all interested in econ and have money, you should definitely get some before they're gone.

[edit] Forgot to add, civilian ships have been out of the game for a long time unfortunately so if you're playing something other than brit or rat you have to hope someone was kind enough to put a couple starter ships on the market. If not, sink your current ship until you get an improved fallback ship. They thought they were clever by removing civilian ships so new ship builders could enter the market but they forgot that starter ships are produced at a loss since your sale price is hard capped by the amount of cash a new player has and the starter quest rewards have never been updated to reflect the current economy. So yeah... another great FLS plan.

Kenby fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Dec 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenby
Apr 26, 2012

Third World Reggin posted:

By the looks of who is on it they don't have any artist or any of the old website art assets saved. So yah, integration to steam is a bit different than web design.

The funny thing is that they claimed to be working on a new website in addition to the account system last summer, but I suppose they were mostly blowing smoke.

The worst part is the forums being gone. Eight years of walkthroughs, guides, and random information that you aren't going to be able to find anywhere else.

Kenby
Apr 26, 2012

I rolled a pirate a couple nights ago on Antigua after quitting for six months and the rats had a full waiting list for a port battle. Pretty sure this game is the cockroach of MMO's.

I can't create a society because all my old sub accounts are locked French, but if anyone wants to play I'm Kenby Kenbus ingame.

• Locked thread