Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zipline
May 9, 2013
Dis game mane, dis game. Although I didn't find the swashbuckling to be as bad as OP made it out to be, he's right that the best part is the ship combat. I mean, wow, it's like you're really in the 17th century. Being in a big fleet battle is unlike anything else I've ever played. Do you know where we go to get tactics to beat rival nations? Wikipedia articles on Admiral Nelson and the Battle of Trafalgar. It's insane, it felt so realistic. I might just come back...

EDIT:

Third World Reggin posted:

We are about to set up a society of some sort as Pirates. I am not saying you have to play pirates, but it is easy to get ships.
It's been so long since I've played that I don't remember, but do you have to be a pirate to join the society? IIRC I am a Spaniard. I did the enforced transfer thing back when they emailed me but I haven't logged in to check since.

Zipline fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zipline
May 9, 2013

Sucks to hear you can't migrate any more but I understand why.
I don't. What's their reasoning? Archonex, what exactly did they tell you? I'm assuming you went to customer service, do you think they'd be open to wheedling? Maybe explaining more in-depth just how much money/time you gave them? It sounds like other people interested in playing this game are on the fence about it because they might not be able to transfer, so your answers could shift a lot of people one way or the other.

Zipline
May 9, 2013
I just checked and I do have a Spaniard, level 29, on Antigua. Also a freetrader but he's like 15. I guess I'll just have to settle for hunting the goon menace instead of joining it.

Zipline
May 9, 2013
I've been tinkering around on my Spaniard (Emiliano Dez, HMU yo) and it seems like there's really only one powerful Spanish clan, Los Tiburones de Vera Cruz, and unless we got a ton more goons involved it probably wouldn't be worth the effort or money to get our own going. It might be easier to set up a Teamspeak or Ventrillo server and just communicate that way.

Zipline
May 9, 2013

Iron Leg posted:

Glad you thought so! I was the lead designer for a while and I worked pretty hard to make it less realistic and more actually interesting to play. There were some sticks in the mud about that bullshit and as far as I heard most of it got reverted or changed, especially the big stuff like the SOL removal. Which is pretty stupid if that's the case, because it just means they don't really understand how the game works. I'd love to get my regular characters back and go sailing with some goons again.
A goon was lead designer on PotBS? It makes so much more sense now. You did good work, mate. Normally I'd side with the historical sticklers on issues like that but you're definitely right here, it's not the kind of game that requires intense realism. Not to say that it's a fantasy game, but in gameplay mechanics some leeway would be essential.

Just asked in chat and apparently building first rates have been back for about a year now. Pirates still only go up to second rate.
Spanish are looking pretty good now, eh? Did they mention how common First Rates are now? They were removed for a reason, I'm curious if they've found a way to balance them. One of my chief memories of port battles was everyone scattering when a First Rate sailed into view

Zipline
May 9, 2013
Somehow "Terror" isn't the first thing that pops into my head when I see a big yellow ship.

The economy is based on time, yes? I realize I must have a ton of manhours saved up on whatever economic buildings I had years ago. Now to just find them.

EDIT: Also, Iron Leg, I have to ask. How much of this game is directly inspired by Sid Meier's Pirates! ?

Zipline
May 9, 2013
What are you hoping future patches change?

And yes, there are a few goons playing Spain, but only a handful. PotBS has yet to really take off again, so until that happens we're all kind of scattered.

Zipline
May 9, 2013
The ship combat in this is really very good. Comparing it to something like Assassin's Creed IV just really boggles the mind, this is so intuitive. Have the devs posted much about how they're coming with Steam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zipline
May 9, 2013
The cannon update is live! Read about it here:
https://portalus-games.squarespace.com/news/2014/2/3/cannon-changes-part-1
What are your impressions, guys?

• Locked thread