Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Sign me up for an ICSA. I'm going to do the thing I mentioned in chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
How long does one wait after voting ends of the previous ICSA to start the next one?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I'll take the next ICSA.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Someone should make a nicsa challenge. A $20 meal for 4. 3 courses, of your choosing. Don’t count oil, salt, pepper, or spices. The based on your honesty rule should be that it has to be oil, salt, pepper, or spices that you already own.

I can sort out a week of groceries on $20, so I’d be curious to know what people would come up with for a fancier meal for guests with a more generous budget. Don’t have the budget or the time to run it, but I think it’d be fun to see what we all come up with.

Re: different standards of living. I’m aware that some places have significantly more expensive food. It’s less of a hard limit where everyone shows their literal amount of money spent. I think a good barometer would be “or whatever is the equivalent of getting a fast food for 4 at the cheapest fast food place near you, with no fancy extras.”

It’s less about the literal amount of money, and more about challenging folk to cook on a budget. Near me, I can get a good falafel sandwich with some sides for a fiver. As it’s a nicsa, I think we can trust folk to be honest.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
That was the idea. Basically, I’ve had weeks where I had spices, I had salt, I had oil. But company was coming over, and I needed to run down the shops, but I only had a $20 bill in my pocket, zero time to get to the ATM, and the goddamned store had a hosed up credit card machine. I’d go by full package cost because I don’t want the basic spices one normally has on hand to be part of that.

Again, it’s a nicsa, and I think most of us in here are just in search of a good time more than cut throat winning, so I’d trust someone if they said, for example, that they do indeed keep cardamom on hand. Because no matter how poor I’ve been, I’ve always had at least a few whole nutmegs, and a fair few cardamom pods knocking about. And every Iranian person, no matter how poor, will always have saffron on hand.