Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down
Some images from a project I've been working on for about a year documenting abandoned resorts in Northeastern Pennsylvania. Sorry for any dust etc, some of these are still just rough scans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

Thanks guys! And thanks, Rot, for starting this thread. It's been a really fun project to work on. I'm not really into the whole EXXXTREEM URBEXXXXX scene but I've gotten really into exploring parts of rural Pennsylvania over the last few years. This particular area really stuck for me, it's a shame what's happened to it over the past couple decades.

DJExile posted:

Abandoned resort crew :cool::respek::cool:

That place looks awesome... I'd love to check it out but I don't think I'll be getting there anytime soon haha. Love that Princess Di photo, so cool!

I generally don't take any poo poo from places I explore but I do have a bunch of old postcards, brochures etc that I've found. I love seeing what they looked like in their heyday, some of them were pretty loving nice! One even had its own airplane landing strip.

voodoorootbeer posted:

srsly if you have a flickr or tumblr or something post it so we can follow

I probably should but I really don't... I'll probably just keep posting stuff here though

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

Spedman posted:

Please do, that set was amazing.

Have you thought about putting a book together?

Yup, I'm beginning to work on it now. It's going to be photos interspersed with the aforementioned brochures, found photos and some interesting documents/letters. Hoping to have it done by the spring, I'll post a link here when it's finished for sure.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

Norrskensren posted:

Tactical Sandals, please make a tumblr and don't forget to tell us when you publish this in book form. I move around too much to ever feel that coffee table books are worth the investment but I'd buy yours.

I love abandoned houses but I'm also scared of being prosecuted for trespassing.

Heilanstalt Teupitz was built in the small town of Teupitz, southeast of Berlin, the early 1900s as a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients. It's a large complex comprising several buildings. Once tuberculosis came increasingly under control, Teupitz instead became a mental hospital. During WWI it was used as a military hospital and after that it again reverted to being a mental hospital. During the interwar period the hospital housed one Paul Gösch, a so called "sensitive type" and an artist of some renown. The rise of NSDAP and the outbreak of WWII did not pass by Teupitz unnoticed as many of its patients were selected for the Nazi euthanasia program - among them Paul Gösch.

After 1945 Teupitz was located in DDR. The German sensitive types moved out and the Russian military moved in - and stayed until 1994. It continued to be used as a hospital, though I'm not quite sure whether it was for the mentally ill or just a standard military hospital. While exploring we found a dark basement that was used as an animal stall - for cows, most likely. So at least the admitted always had fresh milk...

IMG_9741 by norrskensren

IMG_9753 by norrskensren

IMG_9757 by norrskensren

IMG_9760 by norrskensren

IMG_9770 by norrskensren

IMG_9802 by norrskensren

IMG_9826 by norrskensren

IMG_9842 by norrskensren

IMG_9706 by norrskensren

These are amazing! I love seeing places like this that haven't suffered from tons of vandalism. I've never been to Europe but I'd love to take a trip soon and just do tons of exploring. I've seen lots of photos of some incredible abandoned structures over there, like crazy French mansions and poo poo. If you haven't seen it already, check out fuckyeahabandonedplaces.tumblr.com. They get some pretty rad stuff submitted sometimes.

Here are some photos from a former "farm school" (ie reform school) for girls located outside of Philadelphia. Built in the early 1900's, it almost resembles a small college campus except for, well, all the barred windows (inside as well as outside) and vaguely prisonlike living quarters. It closed in 2001 due to financial issues, while researching articles on it there were often comments from former residents that actually recalled their time there rather fondly. We found a lot of records there of girls sent to the school that resided right in the neighborhood we live in now in South Philly.

• Locked thread