Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
So before this thread is closed I have one more thing to say about the main game:

The ripped off the ending for the last loving game. I'm not kidding look:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJfVyvUBp-U&t=415s and https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wXygbdEjbRE#t=351

The secondary male lead leaves; in 4 the parting is amicable with Dante entrusing Nero with Yamato and Nero asking Dante if they'll ever see each other again and in DMC the parting has a clear tension with Vergil spouting off some stupid pseudo-Shakespearean nonsense that no one will ever really say, then the male lead expresses concerns regarding his humanity and is counsoled by the love interest end credits.

It's just loving lazy.

EDIT: New page:

Bumfluff posted:

(Last) Update!
Episode DLC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ofljzAvBJw

We did it in one shot cause I'm going home soon and wouldn't have time to do commentary multiple times. So here it is.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Well, I won't lie, about thirty minutes in, I was browsing the internet and skipped to the last ten minutes. The gameplay looked more interesting at least, but yeah, it's DmC.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
Since you mentioned Watchdogs not living up to the hype I'll leave these links.
http://wccftech.com/e3-2012-graphics-watch-dogs-deliberately-turned-off-pc-next-gen/
http://www.reddit.com/r/watch_dogs/comments/26fji7/get_rid_of_ultrasetting_stuttering_by_adding/

Both of these help the game a lot and turning on the E3 graphics they DISABLED but are still in the game actually seems to make the game run better. The only issue with 'TheWorse' mod right now is that its not strictly finished so he's not made a way to choose which options are on yet meaning you have overwhelming amounts of DOF.

In regards to the game I'm glad your playing it not me. DMC 3 made me want to play it just watching it and how awesome it looked. DMC 4 made me want to play it because Dante. This game just makes me want to slap the people that thought this was a improvement over old Dante.....also the ones that compared him to gay Cowboys when in the picture they used he looks MASSIVELY out of place.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The discussion of DLC=expansion is wrong since there are games that are pre-installed with locked DLC that you have to pay extra to use it. I think Metro LL has Ranger mode behind a paywall, as an example. You can fiddle with the files and unlock it. I go with Money Sink Content.

I don't mind seeing a close-up of Vergil rather than the smile of Dante during those loading scenes.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 18, 2014

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Since you mentioned it, I'll say that I don't think it's fair to call Dead Island: Epidemic a MOBA; the only things it really shares with the genre are quick levels and "ultimate" abilities, it's a lot closer to a normal ARPG otherwise. Heck, one game mode is basically like running quick dungeons in Diablo, and the PVP mode doesn't follow a traditional MOBA structure at all. So, if you haven't gifted that key away or anything, you should maybe give it a go?

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013
With the LP over, I have to say I don't think I've ever seen so little respect given to an OP. Thank you Bumbluff, for showing this game off, and I look forward to following your next LP.

Next-Jin Engine fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jun 18, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
To be fair actually liking the game can act as waving a red cloth on a charging goon.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Like I promised, let me breakdown Vergil's moves and combat in DmC:

quote:

VERGIL'S DOWNFALL

Vergil has enough differences from Dante that make his combat feel a lot more fluid and conducive to combos and good timing. The three most important things about Vergil's style are:

a. Teleportation

Unlike Dante, Vergil dodges through quick teleports, trading directional flexibility and distance for a faster recovery time. His teleport also replaces Dante's Air Hike for the pretty much the same things, except Vergil can teleport straight back down as a "reset" button.

b. Summoned Swords

Vergil also eschews guns, instead summoning ghost swords at his enemies. Fully upgraded, they hit surprisingly hard per sword and can be used mid-combo. They're also pretty OK at being a sort of lock-on, since your current "target" is usually what the swords go towards.

Vergil's Summoned Swords also have a neat trait in DmC: they fill in for Dante's Ophion by letting you teleport enemies to you or vice versa depending on which trigger you hold when firing the swords. This feels much smoother than having Dante go into an animation every time you grapple something, especially you can do it in the middle of a combo. As a bonus, enemies you tag with normal Summoned Swords get impaled with them, which lets you pull/teleport to affected targets instantly.

Much like his past incarnation, Vergil can burn Devil Trigger meter for a special attack with his Summoned Swords:

i. Blistering Swords

Vergil summons six swords beside him, which lock-on to a target and eventually fire off at the enemy. Not really that useful, but it does look cool. You can also fire them off manually by mashing Square.

ii. Storm Swords

Same as Blistering except the swords surround the enemy. A bit more useful since they'll launch their target when they hit.

iii. Spiral Swords

The classic move that defines Dante Must Die difficulty fights with Vergil in DMC3, Vergil's swords form a "shield" around him that'll stunlock chaff mobs like a motherfucker and rack damage on bigger targets. Spiral Swords costs more DT energy in DmC than in DMC3, but it lasts much longer so it's a decent trade-off.

c. Just Frames

Probably one of the biggest reasons why I legitimately like this DLC, Vergil's charged moves have Just Frames, which means letting go of the attack button at the right time gives the move invincibility frames, modifies some of its properties, and gives a huge boost to damage. It adds an element of skill to the combo system that was mostly absent in the main campaign, and is effective and stylish to boot.

I'll put up the second part later, since I gotta relax after work, heh.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jun 18, 2014

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Bumfluff posted:

(Last) Update!
Episode DLC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ofljzAvBJw

We did it in one shot cause I'm going home soon and wouldn't have time to do commentary multiple times. So here it is.

Do you get a style boost for allowing Vergil to sheathe his sword after a combo?

EDIT
Also thanks for the LP, gently caress Yeah.

Brutakas fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 18, 2014

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Vergil's moveset was actually pretty good once you unlock everything, the problem is that it's building off the DmC combat engine which is just not that great for in depth mechanics. It's fine for playing the game on the normal difficulty, but once they ratchet up the enemy AI and bring it more color coded enemies, all the problems become really obvious. The inability to lock on, the 30 FPS, and just the general clunky feel of Unreal really bring down the experience.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Part deux:

quote:

VERGIL'S DOWNFALL

It's a shame that Vergil doesn't have more than one (two?) weapons, but his moveset is potent enough on its own when it comes to killing demons. I'll be listing down particularly useful or notable moves, so don't expect a frame-by-frame analysis of Vergil's launcher or whatever :v:

NEUTRAL

Basic melee combo (YYY/YYpauseYYY)

Nothing special about his standard combo, though his YYY chain is pretty much taken directly from DMC3. The pause combo also stacks more hits, though it's not really that good since damage matters more than the number of hits in this game. Fortunately, the Y-chains can be easily cancelled into...

Judgement Cut/Perfect Slice (Charged Y, Just Frame)

A signature move of Vergil, though while the DMC3 version fired off murderous black holes that wreck unflincheable or immobile enemies, the DmC version conjures a big lightning vortex that's perfect for swarms of light enemies. It also charges pretty fast, and as a bonus Vergil actually slashes in front of him when he does the move unlike DMC3, knocking light enemies into the danger zone. JFing this move increases the damage and number of hits dealt.

ANGEL

Rapid Slash (L2+Y)

Another of Vergil's signature moves, he dashes forward in a blur, leaving blade trails behind him that will stunlock light enemies for a bit. It's a great escape move since you get invincibility frames during the dash, though it's also good for rushing into enemy swarms, especially with Spiral Swords active.

One thing different from the DMC3 version is that Vergil will turn back and face the direction he came from after finishing the move.

Flare/Rising Star/Solar Flare (L2+B, Charged L2+B, Just Frame)

Flare is a quick spin move that'll hit everything around you, and while charging it into Rising Star will combo light enemies up into the air. Solar Flare does the same thing as Rising Star except with invulnerability frames, more damage, and the ability to launch heavy enemies into the air. Yes, that includes Tyrants and Bruisers. Unfortunately, it doesn't do as much damage as its Demon equivalent.

Orbit (Aerial L2+Y)

Vergil does an aerial version of Flare; unfortunately, he does it at an angle so you can't actually hit every enemy around you after a successful AoE launcher. Looks cool though.

Aerial Flush (Aerial L2+B)

Vergil tosses a heavier Summoned Sword at an enemy in front of and below him. You'll recognize it as one of his moves during his boss fight, though it's not really effective despite doing splash damage.

DEMON

Melee chain (R2+B x3)

I'll be honest, this is Vergil's worst move. Really slow, does garbage damage, and its only redeeming trait is that it can break shields. Too bad the next move does that and a LOT more...

Volcano/Atomic (Charged R2+B, Just Frame)

You know how Trinity Smash and Buy-in were Dante's gamebreakers? This is Vergil's. A raw Volcano will stagger light enemies, charging it will launch lights and stagger heavies, but pulling off an Atomic will launch anything the drat game can throw at you. Furthermore, it is Vergil's single most-damaging move, and the launch gives you more than enough time to charge another Atomic, meaning that you can pretty much kill anything in the game by spamming Atomics over and over. Once you get this, consider Solar Flare obsolete.

To be fair, it's more difficult to do than a Demon Dodge + Trinity Smash + DT, so at least it doesn't feel as cheesy.

Killer Bee It's STARFALL :argh: (Aerial R2+Y)

Another signature move of Vergil, though it suffers a lot from the lack of lock-on. Basically, Vergil divekicks a motherfucker, which makes it excellent for jump-cancel + Enemy Step shenanigans. Unfortunately, the soft-lock in DmC isn't always reliable so you might end up divekicking towards the wrong enemy/into the void in the middle of a fight, which really sucks for an action game. It's a shame, because Killer Bee hits pretty hard.

I've seen some videos where players use a sword pull to maintain lock-on, so it's kick -> jump-cancel + shoot sword -> pull + kick -> repeat. It works, but goddamn is that some inelegant poo poo.

Drive/Stomp (R2+B, R2+B after Drive)

Drive/Stomp is a pretty neat pair of moves, wherein Vergil slashes an enemy down to the ground and follows up with an AoE ground-pound a la Eryx. Its unique property is that the higher you are when you do Stomp, the more damage you do, so you can do an extended air combo with Vergil's Aerial Rave + pulls, Enemy Step off the dude to get more elevation, Trick Up to get even MORE elevation, then do Drive -> Stomp for some big damage. Stylish and effective!

DEVIL TRIGGER: DOPPELGANGER

While not as game-breaking as Dante's DT, Doppelganger works perfectly well for getting more hits and doing twice as much damage. Basically, just like his bossfight, Vergil summons his shadow which does everything he does. By playing around with the D-pad, you can add a delay to your moves, so you can set up some sick combos with enough creativity and timing. Even without that, you still have what's essentially double damage, which really helps with Vergil's relatively low damage output compared to Dante.

And done! Thanks for the LP, Bumfluff and Chaostime!

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 18, 2014

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Next-Jin Engine posted:

With the LP over, I have to say I don't think I've ever seen so little respect given to an OP. Thank you Bumbluff, for showing this game off, and I look forward to following your next LP.

Y'know, you're right. Just because the game isn't particularly worth talking about, doesn't mean I can't wish the LPers well after they've suffered through it. So, thanks Bumfluff and Chaostime for putting up with the artistic vision of DmC to deliver it to us with commentary worth listening to.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
See, that DLC is a drat sight better than pretty much everything we got in the main game.

Thanks a whole bunch for doing this LP for us, Bumfluff.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It sounds like if they'd made Dante's move set more like Virgil's with the things like Just Frames and more fluidity the gameplay would be significantly improved.

It's like, on the one hand you have Dante with his slow rear end clumsy but fully fleshed out moveset and then you have Virgil with his tight, fast, flexibile but totally unfinished moveset.

Goddamnit DmC :negative:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
See, I will say this for Ninja Theory: for all of their needless antagonizing of the old guard they DID listen to the fans. They tweaked the scoring system, dialed back Dante from his pure grunge aesthetic to a compromise, and the Vergil DLC shows that they are starting to really get some of the nuances of the older games and are willing to learn from their mistakes (see the lack of colour-coded enemies as an example). If they make a sequel I honestly think it would be an honest-to-God good game instead of just sort of mediocre (provided they locked Taneem in a shed whenever they had to do PR. Or just worked on it without him knowing, ideally).Of course that will never happen thanks to the ridiculously bungled and no doubt expensive pre-release farce that this game had, but credit where it is due; if they swallowed their pride and fixed up some technical aspects like Lock-on and taunting and maybe keep Vergil's one weapon with three stances thing (and then have that with two or three weapons- Devil May Cry 1 and 4 got away with only two and three weapons and I think it was to their benefit) and made a story with a healthy respect with the previous games but a desire to be its own thing it could be great. :unsmith:

For my other two wishes I would like a puppy and a career as a best-selling novelist.

e: that said, let me talk about my favourite mistep with the writing in the dlc (since the others are moot to talk about being so self evident- the hell was up with Hollow Vergil anyway? Did Vergil outevil his evil self? Did he eat some shlub demon, since the other hollows were clearly trying to screw with him? If it is his evil self, why did subjugating him make him more evil?); it's hinted that Eva is the real deal when Vergil meets her and needlessly tells her how incredibly evil he is despite the fact that he didn't actually kill Dante and blah blah blah. However, I do like how in the depths of him being an evil sadistic prick he still saves her from eternal torment, basically doing the most heroic thing that he did in the base game (or that Dante did, frankly).

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 18, 2014

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Neruz posted:

It's like, on the one hand you have Dante with his slow rear end clumsy but fully fleshed out moveset and then you have Virgil with his tight, fast, flexibile but totally unfinished moveset.

They actually expanded on his moveset somewhat (at least in regards to what he does in DMC3), even if only to accomadate the angel/demon stuff. They did quite a good job at carrying over pretty much all his moves; it's that he lacks the precision needed to make them on the same level.

Not that this is a complaint, more than an observation, they made his moves more "showey" as opposed to his more focused utilitarian style from DMC3.

Talking about the story is pointless really; same problems as the main game - a confusing clusterfuck of random poo poo happening with no rhyme or reason. With the added downside of not being able to fight boss-Kat and Dante.

Thanks for the LP, Bumfluff and Chaostime! It's been some entertaining commentary.

[e]:

ManlyGrunting posted:

See, I will say this for Ninja Theory: for all of their needless antagonizing of the old guard they DID listen to the fans. They tweaked the scoring system, dialed back Dante from his pure grunge aesthetic to a compromise, and the Vergil DLC shows that they are starting to really get some of the nuances of the older games and are willing to learn from their mistakes (see the lack of colour-coded enemies as an example).

Yeah, that's true. But it does sorta show just how pointless the reboot (and giving it to another dev) was in the first place, if they're essentially going "Hey look! We listened! We can make it almost as good as the regular games, by minimising our inclusions, and copying from the standard series!".

But c'est la vie.

[e2]: Minor trivia (though those that played the other DMCs will know it) Vergil's "Power...I need more power" line is, what he says in DMC3. It pretty much sums him up in that game.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 18, 2014

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'm sure the current superpower social media network of Twitter will keep humanity safe once Dante goes back to not giving a poo poo about anything. But I can only imagine what sort of horrible sequel Ninja Theory could have written for a continuation of DmC. Filled with moments of absolute heartless player dissonance to the background slaughter of mankind ripped right out of God of War, while you save maybe 3 important characters through out the WAR AGAINST THE DEMONS storyline.

As for the Virgil DLC, its still too little too late in trying to shake up what they made with a slightly different playstyle. The new addition of uncolored animated storyboard art makes it look incredibly unfinished. Like they didn't have the money to use the same graphics system for everything yet managed to at least animate the parts that are player controlled. Which fits with an outside narrative that this is a slightly bitter/humble moment of NT playing a swan song for DmC, but god help the people who try to make sense of Virgil's "corruption" into an even bigger rear end in a top hat that totally into leading demons now.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Let me get this straight. So he was confronted to how much of a dick he's been and so his thought here is "I'll be more of a dick!" That's pretty deep characterization right there. I mean like I can believe someone becoming more of a dick, but when they're shown how much in the wrong they've been and just decide well I'll just be more of one isn't really convincing at all. It wouldn't be so bad as to show his own concern over the whole ordeal when originally confronted with it.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Vergil already wears a stupid fedora, it doesn't surprise me that he also falls into the geek fallacy of doubling down on his rear end in a top hat-ness and selfishness when confronted with it.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

notZaar posted:

Vergil already wears a stupid fedora, it doesn't surprise me that he also falls into the geek fallacy of doubling down on his rear end in a top hat-ness and selfishness when confronted with it.

But like I might of miss understood it when I saw it, but it looked like he legit regretted being an rear end in a top hat at first then it seems like the switch happened at no reason.

Chaostime
Jan 3, 2008

Kurt Cobain's biggest phobia was bears in pools.
Whelp, It's certainly been a ride. And I'm so loving done with this game its not even funny, and I didn't even play it.

Thanks Marc "Insert Middle Name" Wesley for putting up with that crap so that I could make fun of your gameplay abilities and talk about random crap with you.

I wonder what we'll do next...

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
You could do DMC3 to see how it's done right.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

You know that wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen, like Bumfluff said it is boring to watch but I imagine it being fun to play. I do also like parts of the art style and also that terrible writing was terribly entertaining to me. The Succubus and Dante screaming "gently caress you" back and forth is still the funniest thing I've seen in gaming. :allears:

I never played a Devil May Cry game so I have no emotional attachment to the series, I guess that's why I have wrong opinions about it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
As other people have said, it's not that it's a bad game, but the DMC name immediately compares it to the some of the absolute best games in the genre, and DmC just doesn't hold up.

Presumably they wanted more people who hadn't played Devil May Cry to play this, in which case why the hell did they call it Devil May Cry?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Wait, you don't get to fight Dante?

Why the hell not?

Mister Xenophobe
Feb 2, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

Wait, you don't get to fight Dante?

Why the hell not?

It's a bad game. C'mon, start paying attention.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Play DMC4 if you want to fight Dante (twice even). He is hard as hell.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Mister Xenophobe posted:

It's a bad game. C'mon, start paying attention.

I think the proper answer is gently caress YOU.

Mister Xenophobe
Feb 2, 2008

Iretep posted:

I think the proper answer is gently caress YOU.

gently caress YOU!

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Mister Xenophobe posted:

gently caress YOU!

gently caress YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
From when Steam introduced tagging:

This resulted in a brief moment where gently caress you was a genre(top left):

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

"Not Metal Gear Rising" should be its own genre. :allears:

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013
Here are the best two tags currently up:

Next-Jin Engine fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 26, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Steam tags are pretty great, while I understand why they moderate them to make sure that vulgar tags don't hang around I do kind of wish they'd leave the occasional one around for funsies.

Best thing about steam tags tho is they are usually actually accurate, or at least funny.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They do have issues with tags hurting the diva devs feelings and other weird censorship.

There was a mad burn in the Splatterhouse thread where Rick and West exchanged gently caress yous. I thought of this discussion.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Scalding Coffee posted:

They do have issues with tags hurting the diva devs feelings and other weird censorship.

As far as I am concerned this is A Good Thing. Diva devs need to be exposed to reality every once in awhile so they don't end up like Mecron and become immune to reality due to having their head shoved so far up their own rear end that they can see out their mouth.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Aw. I was expecting a mirror final boss fight against Dante. I suppose Hollow Virgil fills that role, but ehhhhhhh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

Aw. I was expecting a mirror final boss fight against Dante. I suppose Hollow Virgil fills that role, but ehhhhhhh.

DmC: ehhhhhhh

• Locked thread