Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Whale Punk? Might have to play that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
The main difference between the old DMC games and this one is that the old ones had a protagonist that uses a guitar to shoot bats while power sliding around a room and playing power chords so hard and fast that they could electrocute things, while this new one has an axe that he hits people with.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Cyra posted:

Overall I liked this game and was pretty down with the reboot, even if it was obnoxious in some places. It still felt suitably DMC and some of Dante's one liners got some good reactions from me. I particularly liked how demons in this were represented as extremely vile and vulgar beings. The gameplay was fun as hell and some of the limbo stages were truly great. This is a better follow-up than DMC 4 was, hands down.

The boss fights own, too.

What DMC4 lacked in unique assets, with it being horribly rushed, it made up for in sheer quality as far as gameplay went. Nero was pretty good for a character with locked load out, but the Dante gameplay was head and shoulders above even Devil May Cry 3 with the ability to switch style on the fly in conjunction with on the fly weapon switching. DMC 4 is a weak game as far as level design goes and it's a DMC game so story is paper thin but it's probably the best DMC on a gameplay level, and for many DMC fans, that's the only reason to play. If you're looking to play DMC for a while, you can't do much better than loading up DMC4, going into Bloody Palace and just playing. It's a better game than this one is, but DMC 3 is better than both as the whole package.

Chaostime
Jan 3, 2008

Kurt Cobain's biggest phobia was bears in pools.

Nihilarian posted:

Yup, Whale Punk.

Tiriganiaq
Feb 21, 2012
It's just too perfect that the big leader of the anonymous rebellion wears a fedora and turtleneck. I know that NT were being sincere but it just fits so well that Virgil is a giant goon. He has a katana as well.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Tiriganiaq posted:

It's just too perfect that the big leader of the anonymous rebellion wears a fedora and turtleneck. I know that NT were being sincere but it just fits so well that Virgil is a giant goon. He has a katana as well.

Well, to be fair, his original incarnation had it too. And I don't care what anyone thinks, that quick-draw style will always be cool forever, especially when the dude draws so fast the blade doesn't even come out!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

*Getting Goth-Axe* "Hell Yeah" :geno:

The weapon acquisitions in this game leave a lot to be desired. Part of the fun was watching how Dante played with them, or how they attacked him or whatever. This one is just "I got a weapon, I guess."

The damage difference between the angel and demons weapons is kinda crappy; the other games don't really have that - the player is pretty much able to use whatever weapon they choose, and deal fairly consistant damage. In this one, it boils down to "Use Axe = win", because the scythe does so little damage.

Sparda was absolutely pussified from the other games. The backstory in the other games is that he served Mundus, eventually turning on him, to fight for the humans, and singlehandedly defeated both Mundus and his armies, alone. He manages to seal away both his powers and the demon world, eventually falling in love with a regular human, Eve, and fathering Dante and Vergil.

He's also a giant bug thing. And when he's not a giant bug, he's some swank dude with a monocle.

In this one? He bumps uglies with some angel tart (FORBBIDDEN LURVE!), does gently caress all for seven or so years, dumps Dante off at an orphanage, and then goes to Mundus' BDSM-dimension to be tortured by gimps for eternity.

He's also somebody's out-of-shape, balding father, which isn't nearly as interesting as a giant demon-bug.
---

Vergil's redesign is...interesting. As I said before, Capcom told NT not to rehash classic Dante's design, but for Vergil, it seems that kept some of his more familiar elements:

* The butt-cape/jacket thing
* Slicked-back hair
* Older style of dress than Dante
* More ornate details on clothes, etc.

It's somewhat similar to Vergil's original design from DMC1, back when it was going to be RE4.

Of course, Classic Vergil doesn't have that goonish hat, either.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 1, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I like the Vergil redesign. It's noticeably different from the original design while still being recognizable as the character. He even has the same slicked back hairstyle.

Except for the fedora. That combined with the katana just make him look like he argues about Neon Genesis Evangelion when he's not killing demons.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Okay then, now we are formal introduced to Vergil and Kat. The biggest problem with Virgil is that he is now basically Morpheous from the Matrix, no really, they even wear similar sweaters at one point. I'll get to Kat later.

And now then I would like to point out a plot hole that sums up what's the biggest problem that people have with Mangy Crackhead:

This will come up later but it's worth mentioning now because it's actually more relevant. SO Mundus doesn't know about Vergil who has created an organization to overthrow him but he instantly knows about Mangy Crackhead who has just been as far as we know been doing nothing with his life. The reason for this is because Mangy Crackhead is because he is a Mary Sue. Further proof of this is that besides the fact that he looks like Tameem and more importantly he's the Only One who can do these Dangerous jobs for the order. Now Dante also had some of the Mary Sue traits but that was mostly avoided because the old game were a lot more self aware and there were other character who were just tough as he was. I'll talk more about that when I talk about all the little things that bother me about Kat.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I think it's also the only time (barring maybe one cutscene in DMC3) where you can look at Dante and Vergil and go 'oh yeah, they are brothers, aren't they'.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I think it's also the only time (barring maybe one cutscene in DMC3) where you can look at Dante and Vergil and go 'oh yeah, they are brothers, aren't they'.

Wait, what do you mean? They got the Cain and Abel thing going on and they're twins to boot.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Nihilarian posted:

Dishonored is a fantastic game and "whalepunk" is a fantastic description for it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Everything about new Vergil is infinitely superior to new Dante*. The hairstyle is a bit horrible and the less said about the fedora the better, but all in all, he's not highly repulsive visually.

*Actually, they have the same punchable face, so they tie there.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I don't really get the hate for DMC4. I was pessimistic about Nero going into it, but his gameplay is arguably even more technical. People like to hate on the "backtracking", and while it's obvious they were reusing level assets to save time and money they did a really good job pulling it off with Dante.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

George posted:

I don't really get the hate for DMC4. I was pessimistic about Nero going into it, but his gameplay is arguably even more technical. People like to hate on the "backtracking", and while it's obvious they were reusing level assets to save time and money they did a really good job pulling it off with Dante.

DMC4 just feels like half a game, with the Dante-only part missing. Yeah, you play as him backtracking, but he really needed his own campaign to make the most out of his expanded playstyle, some unique bosses, new locations, etc. There's a big difference between reusing assests, and literally "go through all of the previous levels, but now in reverse". There's also a problem in that you basically have to relearn how to play the game half-way through when the character switch happens. And then another ten levels later, you've got to do the same again, and relearn how to play Nero.

Nero was pretty fun to play as, the Devil Bringer and Exceed System made him feel different from Dante, which was pretty nice. I think they could have given him another weapon, maybe, for variety (like the Yamato, which he gets, but can't use outside of DT).

Storywise...yeah, it's okay. The few problems I have with it are that Trish does gently caress all and Lady does even less; both just exist in DMC4 for the single purpose of wobbling their tits over the screen. They could have been made as unlockable characters or something.

To me, DMC4 just feels half-baked - it feels like if they had more time or money, they could have made it so much better than it was - don't get me wrong, the combat is top notch - but everything else could have been improved in someway.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

toasterwarrior posted:

Wait, what do you mean? They got the Cain and Abel thing going on and they're twins to boot.

It might just be me, but going by their in-game models or concept art, they don't especially look like each other. This is the first time they've actually looked like twins to me.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dante and Vergil used the same face model in DMC3 and they do here too.
The hair goes a long way to differentiate the two in Devil May Cry 3.

A similar thing is used to good effect in Metal Gear Solid 2.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I didn't care for the Exceed system but Devil Bringer loving ruled... against normal enemies. It felt kinda worthless or forced against bosses, but against normal enemies it gave a great sense of rhythm to fights.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Aurain posted:

Dante and Vergil used the same face model in DMC3 and they do here too.
The hair goes a long way to differentiate the two in Devil May Cry 3.

:eng101:
DMC3

DmC

I've noticed there is a slight difference to both the Vergils' eyes, though in DmC's case, that may just be the expressions on the model itself.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
With the ps2 graphics they sure LOOK the same with their hair down, at any rate.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pesky Splinter posted:

I've noticed there is a slight difference to both the Vergils' eyes, though in DmC's case, that may just be the expressions on the model itself.

The source images seem to be slightly off scale in-comparison to each other, which may explain that a little too. You should do an Old Dante/New Dante one to see what sort of monstrosity we get.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

darealkooky posted:

With the ps2 graphics they sure LOOK the same with their hair down, at any rate.

Yeah, when they were doing the whole fighting in the rain thing you could really see it. And also the whole Jackpot cutscene reinforced it like a hammer to the skull.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Aurain posted:

The source images seem to be slightly off scale in-comparison to each other, which may explain that a little too. You should do an Old Dante/New Dante one to see what sort of monstrosity we get.

Especially for you:

Best one I could find of DMC4 Dante looking ahead.

Now in .gif form! :pseudo:

actual one here.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 29, 2013

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

Never played any DMC, watching to see what so many people got mad about. I can certainly see people not liking the main character being an archetypal handsome douche bag. The idea that the president can hand over the worlds debt is laughable. His origin story is the same as the plot to Little Nicky. Its pretty much a 13 year olds definition of cool but isn't that the joke? The dude lives in a trailer at a carnival, and his brother wears a fedora, and his obviously future girlfriend is a Wiccan. All kind of losers.

Other than that, it seems pretty okay? Visually it has a cool aesthetic, and the combat looks pretty solid. Dark Souls is my untouchable holiest of holies game though, so if they announced they were doing a bunch of weird poo poo to it, I can see myself being pretty upset. I will assume its like that.

Good LP so far though.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx

Addict posted:

Its pretty much a 13 year olds definition of cool but isn't that the joke? The dude lives in a trailer at a carnival, and his brother wears a fedora, and his obviously future girlfriend is a Wiccan.

The issue is that it's not a joke. The writers were dead serious with this meant to be cool from all the pre-release interviews and the way the developers have talked about the game.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Addict posted:

His origin story is the same as the plot to Little Nicky.

Someone really needs to redub this game with Dante as Nicky and Vergil as Adrian, now. Switching between angel/devil weapons should play a sound clip of "release the good.../release the eeevil..." et cetera et cetera.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Chickenfrogman posted:

The issue is that it's not a joke. The writers were dead serious with this meant to be cool from all the pre-release interviews and the way the developers have talked about the game.

I don't know what's scarier. The idea that they might have been actively malicious in trolling the poo poo out of everyone if this was a joke, or the idea that they think this unlikable douchebag is actually cool.

I mean seriously, Dante in this is this gigantic unlikable douchebag with no apparent redeeming qualities. I don't know how every single writer, voice actor, executive, or anyone with any influence at all didn't catch this and go "wait a minute, our main character is literally so unlikable that people are probably cheering for the blatantly evil demons."

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
One thing that I really like about this game is how it does the writing on the wall thing like splinter cell conviction.

lostsomething
Jul 29, 2013
On the note of differences between Sparda in the original series and this one it's almost as if Ninja Theory didn't get the memo on their own changes to the story. Sparda being a big thing makes sense in the original - he's the literal savior of the human race and there's a certain mystique in what became of him afterwards is left deliberately vague. Here though? He's the guy who got completely and utterly p0wned by Mundus and that after he spent years trying to hide from him to be with his Happy Little Family. He ought to be the punchline to every demon joke yet for some reason they all treat him mention as if he were his DMC self.

Pesky Splinter posted:

To me, DMC4 just feels half-baked - it feels like if they had more time or money, they could have made it so much better than it was - don't get me wrong, the combat is top notch - but everything else could have been improved in someway.

I always kind of figured that's exactly what it was. They got about half-way through making the game when word from up high came that the game needed to be out in like the next month with the mass reversing of levels, reuse of bosses, and dropped story threads (Gloria) being the natural result.

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

Granted I have no idea where this is going, but if they keep it pretty tongue in cheek I can appreciate whats going on. Even if the developers have a totally 100% serious attitude, it becomes bad movie good, where its fun to laugh at how clever they think they are. Maybe this shtick wears out and becomes grating, but it seems pretty purposefully ironic right now.

I watched the zero punctuation review, and apparently there is a sequence where you run though CNN/MSNBC type logos which I cant wait to see. I don't think any game doing that is taking itself 100% seriously. At least it seems like the art team was having some fun.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

MJ12 posted:

I mean seriously, Dante in this is this gigantic unlikable douchebag with no apparent redeeming qualities. I don't know how every single writer, voice actor, executive, or anyone with any influence at all didn't catch this and go "wait a minute, our main character is literally so unlikable that people are probably cheering for the blatantly evil demons."

It's painfully Obvious that Alex Garland played a less significant role in this game. It's astound how bad this game's story is especially when you compair it to Ninja Theory's previous game Enslaved. A significant part of that I think can be attributed to Alex Garland. He's a drat good writer, last year's Dredd, 28 Days Later, Sunshine it's all miles better than this crap. It's honestly baffiling that Mangy Crackhead's characterization managed to get past him. I suppose though he had a lot of other projects on his plate at the time though. But really I think that Tameem just threw a bitchfit and Alex had been drinking the previous night and just didn't want to deal with it that day.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Addict posted:

Other than that, it seems pretty okay? Visually it has a cool aesthetic, and the combat looks pretty solid. Dark Souls is my untouchable holiest of holies game though, so if they announced they were doing a bunch of weird poo poo to it, I can see myself being pretty upset. I will assume its like that.

You can break it down into three areas people take issue with; the pre-release media/PR/etc - which could be summed up as "These gently caress-wits have no idea what they're doing" - the story (early stages yet so...), and the gameplay itself.

The story and pre-release stuff is ignorable, the gameplay isn't. It's not up to the same standard of the other games; if you've never played another DMC, it's hard to see what the fuss is about, which is understandable. It boils down to; much looser controls, less moves spread over more buttons, a myriad of balance issues, overall lower difficulty, unaggressive AI, and poo poo-tastic bosses.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

MJ12 posted:

I don't know what's scarier. The idea that they might have been actively malicious in trolling the poo poo out of everyone if this was a joke, or the idea that they think this unlikable douchebag is actually cool.

They were convinced by five words repeated over and over "Kratos from God of War". Ninja Theory as a studio was downright desperate to create the next God of War franchise from Heavenly Sword to Enslaved to DmC they repeatedly tried to tap that market and in my opinion failed.

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

I wouldn't say they failed.

Make a game with a completely unlikeable rear end in a top hat as a main character, add in shallow combat with enemies that seem to do nothing but stand around all day, waiting for you to kill them.

Sounds pretty much like God of War to me.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

David D. Davidson posted:

It's painfully Obvious that Alex Garland played a less significant role in this game.

I'm pretty sure his role as story supervisor extended to "Yep, that's a story. Cheque please."

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Addict posted:

Obviously DMC was never a DS style of game, but this holds up. Imagine that Dark Souls 2 comes out and it plays like Dragon's Dogma.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Isn't there a story about Garland and Tameem working on Enslaved, and Tameem writing a scene where the main character kills some innocent dude because it's COOL and EDGY and BADASS, and Garland just went 'no, it's retarded.'

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

George posted:

Obviously DMC was never a DS style of game, but this holds up. Imagine that Dark Souls 2 comes out and it plays like Dragon's Dogma.

I'd quite enjoy that, to be honest. I love Souls as it is too, though.
That example is taking something great and inserting something different but also pretty great.

Imagine Devil May Cry coming out and it playing like Heavenly Sword.

Oh, wait.

Endorph posted:

Isn't there a story about Garland and Tameem working on Enslaved, and Tameem writing a scene where the main character kills some innocent dude because it's COOL and EDGY and BADASS, and Garland just went 'no, it's retarded.'

http://www.edge-online.com/features/interview-alex-garland-part-two/

2nd Paragraph under the photo of Halo is the relevant one.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Sue posted:

I wouldn't say they failed.

Make a game with a completely unlikeable rear end in a top hat as a main character, add in shallow combat with enemies that seem to do nothing but stand around all day, waiting for you to kill them.

Sounds pretty much like God of War to me.

Kratos's thing is that he's pretty much straight-up villainous. He's allowed to be an rear end in a top hat because you get the feeling that you're actually playing the bad guy. Dante is just a gigantic douche, because he acts like a huge rear end in a top hat but never really turns up the Atrocitron meter, know what I'm saying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

MJ12 posted:

Back in enslaved, during a design meeting they planned a sequence in the beginning where Monkey would see a Prisoner dangling and holding on for dear life and Monkey would kick him to his death. They thought this was cool. ONE PERSON said "No that just makes him an rear end in a top hat, that's not cool!"

Now granted, I've read Journey to the West, and Sun Wukong was always kind of a prick and full of himself. But that was the point of the character. The arrogant Monkey King learning discipline and eventually ascending as a Bodhisattva. And most importantly Wukong wasn't just an rear end in a top hat for no reason, it was an arrogant "I'm better than you" mindset, he didn't just randomly see people in trouble and kill them. He sure as hell acted like a prick to pretty much everyone, especially when he thought he was being treated as less than he was (The Great Sage equal to Heaven).

But enough about Enslaved. Basically what I'm saying is basically the same thing happened. The created an utterly unlikable dickhead, and no one was there to say "This is an utterly unlikable dickhead"

MJ12 posted:

Kratos's thing is that he's pretty much straight-up villainous. He's allowed to be an rear end in a top hat because you get the feeling that you're actually playing the bad guy. Dante is just a gigantic douche, because he acts like a huge rear end in a top hat but never really turns up the Atrocitron meter, know what I'm saying?

Kratos thing was also the whole Greek Tragedy, well meaning intentions utterly corrupted till everyone's hosed. Kratos started understandable and by the end was as terrible as the people he was fighting, if not worse. Donte starts a prick and ENDS a prick.

• Locked thread