Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Vanquish did it best by making the all the bosses HUGE but also fast motherfuckers.
The Rival fight, which is also a 2 on 1 fight against you, is also the final boss.

What Im saying is Vanquish is an awesome game and does many things right that Platinum should reproduce in their other games.
Namely Bosses and the non-stop action.

Because Vanquish Bosses are loving amazing.

Dude, Vanquish has a button specifically to smoke a cigarette. That's how goddamn cool it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
The one (of many) things I don't understand is: what's the point of the hashtag wars at the end? All right, so "we have awoken", whatever that means; that doesn't change the fact that there was a literal Hell portal in the city, that there are literal demons running around and able to easily kill people, that the vast majority of people (I think) are addicted to Slurm, that one person was controlling the world through debt, that the loving city is razed. Also Vergil's anonymous crusade is all but destroyed and he himself fucks off (to become Nelo Angelo, I assume). But who cares, people have awoken!

Also the Mundus fight is atrociuos, and Vergil fight is a snore fest - he's slow, he's weak, and at the end he becomes a gimmick boss, which is just a travesty.

And Kat's being lauded by Dante for her accomplishments is really jarring, because the game wants to be "realistic" and "cool anime" at the same time, so we get the scenes of Kat being indispensible for breaking in a corporate building and drawing up a plan of attack for two superpowered half demons, one of which can teleport at will. Good thing Kat was here, what'd they do without her :ohdear:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Aah!~

Someone actually approved that recording and said "Alright, people, that's a wrap".

Also, the obligatory "This game is poo poo". Ugh.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 17, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I assume the little twitter thing was supposed to be telling us that Limbo has manifested into reality worldwide and demons are now everywhere; intercepting 'we killed the bad guy so now everything is good again right?' I think Virgil broke the planet.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

What a thoroughly unpleasant game. I shudder to think what NT would do if they got their hands on Bayonetta.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

yoshesque posted:

What a thoroughly unpleasant game. I shudder to think what NT would do if they got their hands on Bayonetta.

And now I've got this image planted into my mind. Thanks, yoshesque.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

bewilderment posted:

Uh, yeah, it was clear from the start that that was the case. There was even that silly sex scene where she has to readjust her face onto her skull afterwards, since it had gotten loose.
But why, when demons have no trouble hulking out at will and not become balloons when they revert?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

yoshesque posted:

If it was to work out like this one, they'd probably start by telling fans that they were pigs for liking Bayonetta[the character] and how the new version is gonna be a ~Strong Female Character~ now. Everyone'll constantly call her a slut at all times, even while in the middle of doing favors for them like pulling them out of a burning car or saving them from demons.

I think it's actually be kinda fun to think of ways to completely fun games.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I flinched irl when I read a rumor that NT was gonna do an Okami reboot.

Never happened to me before or since.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

SSNeoman posted:

You can bet they would have ruined the charm of it. Luckily, I don't think we have to worry about any more NT reboots of Capcom properties. It's unlikely Capcom is going to be willing to work with them again, and besides, Capcom is doing a good enough job ruining its franchises by itself. :v:
---

Reminds me of the "What if NT rebooted" images, I saw floating round:

And someone did some texture edits in-game, à la the Spanish mod:

There was a lot of mickey taking also, in the aftermath of the game, regarding both the low sales, and when Tameem Antonides (which they mispelt) appeared promoting something at a dev conference, with a shaven head:

---

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 17, 2014

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oh my god, it's beautiful. :allears:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

SSNeoman posted:

Do not do that to me man, I was eating when I read that and drat near choked.

I never realized he slicked his hair back ala Virgil while going into Dark Slayer Style.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Kurieg posted:

Do not do that to me man, I was eating when I read that and drat near choked.

I never realized he slicked his hair back ala Virgil while going into Dark Slayer Style.

It's a drat shame it doesn't actually change his hair. That would have been awesome.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Since we've completed the game (Pretty much) I've been watching Accounting's LP of the other DMC games, and it's like how hard is it to make a smug guy who isn't just "gently caress you!"&*Finger*. Like being cocky isn't hard to write or even smug isn't hard to write.

Edit: I should point out the original Dante has been written this way. Just a smug dude who doesn't just try to be edgy by being crude.

Zain fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 17, 2014

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Pesky Splinter posted:

There was a lot of mickey taking also, in the aftermath of the game, regarding both the low sales, and when Tameem Antonides (which they mispelt) appeared promoting something at a dev conference, with a shaven head:

He really does look like an emaciated Dante.

I see him and I want to give him a pizza.

(speakin'a pizzas)

wiki posted:

Dante has a fondness for pizza, and while he complains about olives, he always ends up with them on his pizza. His liking for pizza was added because the director believes that pizza is the "best food ever". In the animated series, he is also shown to favor strawberry sundaes as well as pizza with it being pointed out on several occasions that those two foods are all he eats. He has a habit of getting roaring drunk; in the first volume of the manga, he mentions getting so drunk that he proposed to a mop.

I wanna see drunken Dante now.
Really how can you see a character like this and say 'Why yes making him gritty and moody totally is in the spirit of the character'.

He's a superpowered goon.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

So earlier, someone mentioned that Vergil only had a halfcoat. Looking at him, it reminds me of the Swordmasters from Path of Radiance, but it's a tiny bit shorter.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Really how can you see a character like this and say 'Why yes making him gritty and moody totally is in the spirit of the character'.

He's a superpowered goon.

That's the point, Capcom thought Dante was too old and doesn't appeal to teens anymore. Nevermind the fact that the people who actually play DMC games are weeaboos who liked the old Dante.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
The old Dante is the class clown just trying to have a good time and is cool only when no one is looking. The new Dante seems to be more the class bully who thinks that the things he does are grown up and cool.
Because there was little going on in the final fight, I started to look at Dante's fighting style and Is Dante suppose to be left-handed? Things like the way the sword is sheathed, his trillion stab, and the way he controls the axe are all the lefty versions of the moves.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

His office is littered with JD bottles in DMC4. Dude's been battling some serious demons. :v:

Major_JF posted:

Because there was little going on in the final fight, I started to look at Dante's fighting style and Is Dante suppose to be left-handed? Things like the way the sword is sheathed, his trillion stab, and the way he controls the axe are all the lefty versions of the moves.

Perhaps the mocap actor is left-handed?
Nero swings and sweeps with his left, though that's because his other hand is the Devil Bringer.

And not that it makes any difference, but the original Ebony and Ivory guns were designed with ejection ports for the proper handedness (Ebony for left-handed use, Ivory for right).

[e]:

GilliamYaeger posted:

That reminds me of something...

Haha!
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 17, 2014

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 17, 2014

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
DmC was a dumb game that was obsolete the moment it came out and cast aside when Metal Gear Rising landed, and Cromartie High is a wonderful series.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
That Cromartie High edit is the thing I never knew I always wanted.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That really is just the tits.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

tlarn posted:

DmC was a dumb game that was obsolete the moment it came out and cast aside when Metal Gear Rising landed, and Cromartie High is a wonderful series.

Playing MGR, by the time I finished Chapter 0 I had a huge grin on my face and had forgotten all about this awful game. It's like DmC detox.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

notZaar posted:

Playing MGR, by the time I finished Chapter 0 I had a huge grin on my face and had forgotten all about this awful game. It's like DmC detox.
I went and watched that LP thanks to this thread.

Thank you, thread.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

GilliamYaeger posted:

This is the post that I've always wanted. I love me some Cro High and it works perfectly.

Chaostime
Jan 3, 2008

Kurt Cobain's biggest phobia was bears in pools.

GilliamYaeger posted:

This.
This is loving glorious!

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
How great would it be if they turned into their DmC 1 Devil Trigger forms when they both go Trigger in the final Vergil/Dante fight. Because their old Trigger forms are loving gross weird demon things. I'd have loved to hear all the fighting for humans poo poo coming from a bug-monster.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hmm.

Well.

I was going to go off on a tear about Virgil, but it actually makes sense? A little?

I mean, okay, so now the demons have been exposed, and they're all over the world doing whatever they want, and only Virgil's small cadre even knows they existed and how to fight them.

If you're assuming Virgil only started this thing to dethrone Mundus and take his place, that state of affairs is a much more palatable outcome than if he actually had noble intentions and swerved at the last second.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
One of my favourite thing about DmC:Devil May Cry is that Trophies are mostly references to older games and Dante's one-liners. However, nowadays Trophy list are translated and the previous games were not, so translating the Trophy list actually makes the references worthless :v:

Are you going to LP the Vergil's DLC? Supposedly it's quite good, but I'm a cheap bastard and don't want to start spending any money on the game now.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Szurumbur posted:

Supposedly it's quite good, but I'm a cheap bastard and don't want to start spending any money on the game now.

Have you played DMC3: Special Edition, or the HD collection with Vergil in it? The DLC gameplay is basically that, but lacking any of the precision.

It's "good", by virtue of not being utterly broken like the main game combat (it's much better than the main game's combat), but it suffers heavily from sloppy moves, and the lack of control on some of the others.
On the plus side though, it doesn't have that colour-coded enemy poo poo going on.

The worst crime of all, however, is that they misnamed Vergil's dive-kick, Starfall, as Dante's Killer-Bee :supaburn:

The story carries on DmC:Devil may Cry's low standards, but with added horrible artwork cutscenes, in place of the potato-people mo-cap used previously.

Quality!

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 30, 2014

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I should've qualified that it's supposedly quite good "for a DmC:Devil May Cry DLC", I wouldn't think that it's as good as the Vergil in DMC 3

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Mkay, this is a bit of a complete derail, but somewhere in there (I forget which episode) someone mentions a castle-tending MMO. I couldn't make out the name. Anyone?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Samizdata posted:

Mkay, this is a bit of a complete derail, but somewhere in there (I forget which episode) someone mentions a castle-tending MMO. I couldn't make out the name. Anyone?

I think it was Ubisoft's Mighty Quest For Epic Loot. It looks kind of interesting but I'm never going to find out because gently caress Uplay.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

I think it was Ubisoft's Mighty Quest For Epic Loot. It looks kind of interesting but I'm never going to find out because gently caress Uplay.

Dunno. Got gently caress all experience with Uplay. Ubisoft generally doesn't make a whole lot that grabs my attention.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Pesky Splinter posted:

Have you played DMC3: Special Edition, or the HD collection with Vergil in it? The DLC gameplay is basically that, but lacking any of the precision.

It's "good", by virtue of not being utterly broken like the main game combat (it's much better than the main game's combat), but it suffers heavily from sloppy moves, and the lack of control on some of the others.
On the plus side though, it doesn't have that colour-coded enemy poo poo going on.

The worst crime of all, however, is that they misnamed Vergil's dive-kick, Starfall, as Dante's Killer-Bee :supaburn:

Naw, the worst crime of all is how poorly they pace out giving you new moves- you don't get any shoulder button stuff for the first mission which gives you all of eight moves to work with, you only get the heavy attacks at the beginning of the third (of six, one of which is just a boss fight) mission and the devil trigger at the beginning of the final one. I know these games tend to be more rewarding on subsequent playthroughs once your skill and tool set can match higher difficulties, but this is an extreme version. It's like how Dante got so many tools way too late in DMC4, but without the sheer complexity of the character that made it justifiable.

Also I'm just glad Killer Bee exists at all, it was sorely missed in the main campaign. Why grapple to an enemy when you can dive kick them? Especially in 3 when you could resemble a looney tunes sketch by jumping off their heads repeatedly.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
You guys planning on covering the DLC as well?

Bumfluff
Jun 19, 2008

Bumfluff!
It's me, Mabel!
I'm looking at you through the av!
Right here!
This is my voice!
I'm talking to you from inside!

Oh yeah, we did say we were going to do that. I should probably buy that. Sorry, lots of exam and end of academic year stuff and I mostly forgot about this and other stuff.

Chris is also super busy right now so don't know how long it'll be til we get time to commentate though.

Chaostime
Jan 3, 2008

Kurt Cobain's biggest phobia was bears in pools.

Bumfluff posted:

Oh yeah, we did say we were going to do that. I should probably buy that. Sorry, lots of exam and end of academic year stuff and I mostly forgot about this and other stuff.

Chris is also super busy right now so don't know how long it'll be til we get time to commentate though.

gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumfluff
Jun 19, 2008

Bumfluff!
It's me, Mabel!
I'm looking at you through the av!
Right here!
This is my voice!
I'm talking to you from inside!

(Last) Update!
Episode DLC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ofljzAvBJw

We did it in one shot cause I'm going home soon and wouldn't have time to do commentary multiple times. So here it is.

• Locked thread