Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Terry Pratchett's love of puns, bad latin, wordplay and heraldry from the novel Men at Arms, all combine together in his actual coat of arms;

quote:

"Illustrated left are the Armorial Bearings granted to Sir Terence David John PRATCHETT of Broad Chalke, Wiltshire, Knight, OBE by Letters Patent of Garter and Clarenceux Kings of Arms dated 28 April 2010.

The Arms are blazoned: Sable an ankh between four Roundels in saltire each issuing Argent.

The Crest is Upon a Helm with a Wreath Argent and Sable On Water Barry wavy Sable Argent and Sable an Owl affronty wings displayed and inverted Or supporting thereby two closed Books erect Gules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

C.P.A.N. posted:

The original state flag of Oklahoma:

Guess which number state it is. Go on, guess.

Fun part is they changed it because red with a big star looked too communist.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My home province has a pretty badass coat of arms:

Nova Scotia (New Scotland, hence the simple reversal of color from the Scottish flag and plopping the Scottish coat of arms down inescutcheon (shield in the middle of a shield))

This was the original coat of arms when the province was founded, but apparently people simply forgot about it and eventually the government made up their own and used this visual monstrosity:

It was used for a long time, but thankfully someone rediscovered the original arms.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Total Meatlove posted:

Terry Pratchett's love of puns, bad latin, wordplay and heraldry from the novel Men at Arms, all combine together in his actual coat of arms;

Hah, "Don't fear the Reaper".

Professor Shark posted:

Nova Scotia (New Scotland, hence the simple reversal of color from the Scottish flag and plopping the Scottish coat of arms down inescutcheon (shield in the middle of a shield))

This was the original coat of arms when the province was founded, but apparently people simply forgot about it and eventually the government made up their own and used this visual monstrosity:

It was used for a long time, but thankfully someone rediscovered the original arms.

What does the motto say?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

This is Glasgow's Coat of Arms.

It goes along with a really depressing poem.

There's the tree that never grew,
There's the bird that never flew,
There's the fish that never swam,
There's the bell that never rang.

They actually all relate to miracles that St. Mungo (the guy at the top) performed.

What
I thought st. Mungo was invented by J.K. Rowling.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Hogge Wild posted:

Hah, "Don't fear the Reaper".

What does the motto say?

According to Wiki "One [hand] defends and the [hand] other conquers"

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

Professor Shark posted:

Nova Scotia Bros

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Tuskin38 posted:

Nova Scotia Bros

:hfive:

Here is the CoA for the Nova Scotia Tattoo, a Scottish dance event that occurs yearly:

It has the NS colors, I think it looks pretty cool

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Appropriate poem since Glasgow is apparently a very unhealthy city. Like Stephen King's Derry if it was real and in Scotland.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Glasgow used to be the heroin capital of Europe and the murder capital of western Europe. They were also voted the friendliest city in Europe around the same time.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

That is a beret flash. Basically a background to either a unit crest or an officer's rank insignia so it's supposed to be non-cluttered.

This is what is pinned on it on an enlisted beret

My old unit beret flash looked like this

Pretty meh I know. This however is the crest.

Army Institute of Heraldry posted:

Quarterly Azure (Blue) and Vert (Green), between in the first and fourth quarters a radiant sun of twelve points and a mullet Argent, a lightning flash couped bendsinisterwise Gules fimbriated Or.

Symbolism: The colors blue, white, red and green represent four of the original six combat teams of the 5307th Composite Unit (Provisional), commonly referred to as Merrill's Marauders, which were identified by color. To avoid confusion, the other two colors, khaki and orange, were not represented in the design, however, khaki was represented by the color of the uniform worn by US forces in the China-Burma-India Theater during World War II. The unit's close cooperation with the Chinese forces in the China-Burma-India Theater is represented by the sun symbol from the Chinese flag. The white star represents the Star of Burma, the country in which the Marauders campaigned during World War II. The lightning bolt is symbolic of the strike characteristics of the Marauders' behind-the-line activities.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Military heraldry could be so much better if they invested in an actual herald every once in a while

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That's what what 37Fs are for.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That's what what 37Fs are for.

37F makes for a pretty funny GIS. Turntables, asian bikini babes, and a few soldiers for good measure :v:

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Glasgow used to be the heroin capital of Europe...

So there is some truth to Trainspotting!

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

Penny Paper posted:

So there is some truth to Trainspotting!

Trainspotting is set in Edinburgh.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

:eyepop: that crest

TurboTax
Oct 9, 2012
I like Palau's a lot:

Also, the very basic flags of the UAE's emirates:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Thread bump! I just stumbled upon the crest for the Guangzhou Evergrande football team, and it's pretty great.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
If we're bumpin' here's the coat of arms off Dubioza's latest album:

I love it! It represents ex-Yu.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Randoms, may be repeats:

sout
Apr 24, 2014

You got it!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mikl posted:

Thread bump! I just stumbled upon the crest for the Guangzhou Evergrande football team, and it's pretty great.

For some reason this just makes me think of that doofy almost-crest from Megaforce with DEEDS NOT WORDS written over it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think the term is "portrait heraldry", but there was a period where heraldry went through a really, really ugly phase.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This is meant to look like a dude just out of the shower right?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Two modern, not very classic designs that I really like despite it:

It's all about that white/gold red/blue combination

canis minor
May 4, 2011

This thread got me interested in coats of arms from my voivodeship - enjoy!

and the most derp unicorn

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Bojack Uniman

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

daert1
Nov 11, 2012

I have seen things that you people cannot imagine,
Thunt crying on an unposted blog,
An otter drawn by a madman,
A she-beast screeching on the moon in June,
All lost, like GeoCities in rain
time to die
:suicide:
Michigan has some unique seals and flags

Houghton Michigan is an old mining town and has a ferry to Isle Royal National Park, the seal is bland as poo poo

They should just replace the tree with a pot leaf, it would be more accurate

Detroit has a pretty cool flag though, and the motto gives good insight into the mindset of Detroiters

Grand Rapids, where all eagles are equal

Grand Rapids's flag is fairly abstract

City of Holland has no idea where the motto starts or ends

My hometown, guess what the seal symbolizes

Michigan's state flag is bog standard, but I like it

unfortunately, we have a lot of bronies.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I don't recall when I first saw it but I really like this proposed Michigan flag.

quote:

The symbolism should be fairly apparent: green is for the verdant land of Michigan, with vast forests, fields and prairies. The two stars stand for the two peninsulas which constitute Michigan. Five stripes represent the five Great Lakes, the other distinctive geographical feature of the State. They are in blue and white, representing of course blue water and white wave caps, or white as the color of water in ice and snow form.

While Lake Ontario does not in fact abut Michigan, the State remains recognized as the "Great Lakes State." The fifth stripe could alternatively be said to represent Lake St. Clair, however, keep in mind that geographical non-adjacency was no obstacle to Lake Ontario's depiction on Michigan's State quarter.

And if you want a bland city crest, check out my hometown. If there's a city flag I can't find a picture on Google.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
I kinda like

e: also kinda funny
Vršac

Kikinda

I accidentally came across this wiki which is a real pro click if you're looking for civic heraldry.

SaltyJesus has a new favorite as of 22:47 on May 18, 2015

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

daert1 posted:

Grand Rapids's flag is fairly abstract

Alien PAC-MAN on a rampage?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Soviet Commubot posted:

And if you want a bland city crest, check out my hometown. If there's a city flag I can't find a picture on Google.

Surely there has to be a flag flying you could get a picture of during the upcoming Scottish Festival (which I've been to far too many times)?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Der Kyhe posted:

Alien PAC-MAN on a rampage?

You know how a lot of cities have animals or famous historical figures that serve as a mascot or symbol for the city?

Grand Rapids gets this statue instead.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Surely there has to be a flag flying you could get a picture of during the upcoming Scottish Festival (which I've been to far too many times)?

I would but I moved very far away several years ago. I do miss the Highland Festival, I haven't in town for it in since 2008 or 2009 :smith:

Here's my current city's flag, which isn't that exciting but has a happy looking sheep which is pretty cool.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

I really really like the Maryland state flag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

blunt for century posted:

I really really like the Maryland state flag

best part of the maryland flag is Under Armor's attempts at turning it into a football uniform for the University of Maryland, all of whom's attempts are AMAZING SUCCESSES

• Locked thread