Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

daert1 posted:

Michigan has some unique seals and flags

Michigan's state flag is bog standard, but I like it
s.

My favorite part of the Michigan flag is the correct use of a Latin irregular verb. "We shall defend"

Which is, to say "gently caress off Canada, just try to invade, we dare you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Speleothing posted:

My favorite part of the Michigan flag is the correct use of a Latin irregular verb. "We shall defend"

Which is, to say "gently caress off Ohio, just try to invade, we dare you."

Fixed that for you.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

blunt for century posted:

I really really like the Maryland state flag

This flag looks like two reasonably good flags that have nothing to do with each other got mashed together.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Phlegmish posted:

This flag looks like two reasonably good flags that have nothing to do with each other got mashed together.

Amusingly, that's exactly what happened.

Wikipedia posted:

The Maryland colony was founded by Cecilius Calvert, second baron and Lord Baltimore, (1605-1675), which was granted to him as George's son and heir by King Charles I, hence the use of his family's coat of arms in the flag. At first, only the gold and black Calvert arms were associated with Maryland, being reintroduced in 1854.[2] The red and white colored arms of the Crossland family, which belonged to the family of Calvert's (Lord Baltimore's) paternal grandmother, gained popularity during the American Civil War, during which Maryland remained with the Union despite a large proportion of the citizenry's support for the Confederacy, especially in the central City of Baltimore and the counties of the southern part of the state and the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay. Those Marylanders who supported the Confederacy, many of whom fought in the Army of Northern Virginia of General Robert E. Lee, adopted the Crossland banner, which was red and white with the bottony (trefoil) cross [2] (seen as "secession colors") and often used a metal bottony cross pinned to their gray uniforms or caps (kepis).[citation needed]. The black and gold (yellow) colors with the chevron design of the Calvert family were used in the flags and devices and uniform pins of the Union Army regiments in the northern Army of the Potomac.

After the war, Marylanders who had fought on either side of the conflict returned to their state in need of reconciliation. The present design, which incorporates both of the coats of arms used by George Calvert, began appearing. At first, the Crossland coat of arms was put in the upper-left corner, but this was supposedly swapped with the Union's Calvert arms because of the Union victory.[citation needed]

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Is there a master list of municipal flags in the US? I've got a feeling Wikipedia's isn't exhaustive.

Here is a great video about the design of municipal flags.

http://99percentinvisible.org/news/99-invisible-at-ted/

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Alouicious posted:

best part of the maryland flag is Under Armor's attempts at turning it into a football uniform for the University of Maryland, all of whom's attempts are AMAZING SUCCESSES

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but that is a loving cool uniform.

It's like dazzle camo but for football! :buddy:

e. even the gloves have it!

blunt for century has a new favorite as of 21:11 on May 21, 2015

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alouicious posted:

best part of the maryland flag is Under Armor's attempts at turning it into a football uniform for the University of Maryland, all of whom's attempts are AMAZING SUCCESSES

He looks like a knight with cool-rear end shoulder armor. :buddy:

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Here's my home town's:

I remember posting this in a different thread and getting the response "that pig just loving loves pretzels :3:"

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Well, who doesn't?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

blunt for century posted:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but that is a loving cool uniform.

It's like dazzle camo but for football! :buddy:

e. even the gloves have it!

I am never being sarcastic about my love of Maryland's football uniforms

Alaois has a new favorite as of 20:35 on Jun 1, 2015

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

This one also means it's illegal under the patriot act to tackle him.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Alouicious posted:

I am never being sarcastic about my love of Maryland's football uniforms

Needs more skulls, purity seals

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Needs more skulls, purity seals

I was gonna make that joke. :argh:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Can someone tell me, I thought it was the case that there are no 'family' coat of arms, all coats of arms were awarded to specific individuals, and are not passed down to their sons or other descendants. Hence why all the 'Discover your noble coat of arms $9.99' websites are full of poo poo.

Arms are usually passed down from father to eldest son with modified versions for other members of the family. However, if you are the descendant of a family that has arms, in a line that is actually eligible to receive the coat of arms, you probably already know and don't need a website to tell you.

E: The Netherlands should bring back the orange stripe in the flag. If you don't like the connotations, hang Geert Wilders, opening the trap door at the same moment you hoist the new flag.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 03:59 on Jun 2, 2015

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

The Confederacy was a vile institution that existed entirely to preserve the practice of owning other human beings as property. The biggest group of traitors in American history should by no means be celebrated or apologized for.

But goddamn, they knew how to make a great flag*. I don't know who originally designed it, but man, I wish a Northerner had come up with the idea first. :sigh:

*not gonna post it in this thread for the same reason I wouldn't post a swastika. This link just goes to a picture of the flag in question, if for some reason you've lived under a rock for the last 150 years.

EDIT: Like, I can't emphasize enough how terrible the Confederacy was and why this flag is a symbol of misguided nationalism at the very best. It just happens to be a really, really solid design.

ninjahedgehog has a new favorite as of 03:16 on Jun 23, 2015

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Take the stars off and you have the flag of Novorossiya, so you can endorse naked Russian imperialism and propaganda rather than slavery and hideous, lingering bigotry.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

StandardVC10 posted:

Take the stars off and you have the flag of Novorossiya, so you can endorse naked Russian imperialism and propaganda rather than slavery and hideous, lingering bigotry.

The background is a different colour.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
So you just like the St. Andrew's Cross?

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I've always liked my surname's coat of arms(not that I am in any way calling it my personal arms), just because it seems so different from all the other European heraldry designs. I kinda want to get a tattoo of it, but I'm afraid people would mistake it for a neo-Nazi rune design or something.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Admiral Bosch posted:

I've always liked my surname's coat of arms(not that I am in any way calling it my personal arms), just because it seems so different from all the other European heraldry designs. I kinda want to get a tattoo of it, but I'm afraid people would mistake it for a neo-Nazi rune design or something.

That's a "fret", it's actually not too uncommon and looks good:

There's also "fretty", which is a series of frets:

I plan on using fretty in some capacity when I design a coat of arms for my partner, as a cant on her name.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Night of A Monkey Holding An Apple

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Why is he holding a hops flower emitting an explosive fart?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Woolie Wool posted:

Why is he holding a hops flower emitting an explosive fart?

Maybe its an artichoke. Not sure that explains it any better, but who knows.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ninjahedgehog posted:

*not gonna post it in this thread for the same reason I wouldn't post a swastika. This link just goes to a picture of the flag in question, if for some reason you've lived under a rock for the last 150 years.

EDIT: Like, I can't emphasize enough how terrible the Confederacy was and why this flag is a symbol of misguided nationalism at the very best. It just happens to be a really, really solid design.

It's okay dude, we get it, no one is going to tar and feather you for wrongthink.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

It's okay dude, we get it, no one is going to tar and feather you for wrongthink.

speak for yourself, if I see any incorrect opinions about flags or otherwise I will flay the poster alive.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

(testicles)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

BBJoey posted:

speak for yourself, if I see any incorrect opinions about flags or otherwise I will flay the poster alive.

A heavily stylized and stereotypical Something Awful forums poster being flayed alive for a bad post sounds like a perfect nonsensical heraldric device.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I was always fond of this:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Is that James Bond's from whatever that movie was?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Sure is! The motto means "The World Is Not Enough".

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

James Bond is from Ulster?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

That lion's looking a little emaciated too, could use a sausage

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

James Bond is from Ulster?

That particular red hand appears to be suffering from some sort of tissue or bone disorder. Perhaps Celtic hand for maximum irony.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The Red Hand of Ulster is a right hand, while the hand on Bond's heraldry is a left hand.

Bond's ancestry is from Scotland, but he grew up in Pet Bottom in Kent.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
A good and interesting TED talk about city flags

reposting, probably:

Zheleznogorsk

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

My municipal crest, for the city of Örebro, looks like this:

It's a displayed, wings inverted, eagle sable sinister, armed tenné.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Heraldry Nerd: Indeed? *Patronizing and really rude chuckle*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It could be sanguine, but I felt it was too light. That's why I said tenné.

E: Originally, I wrote or. So I was even more wrong before!

• Locked thread