Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I wonder what's with the black and white and ermine motif here. These elements are usually associated with Brittany, and it's on damned near every flag here.

The modern Breton flag, designed to look similar to the US and Greek flags which were considered symbols of democracy in the 1920s when it was designed.

The flag of the province of Brittany after annexation by the French in 1532

Coat of arms of the Dukes of Brittany after the early 1300s

I'm not sure when they decided to create flags for the departments (equivalent to US counties) but they're all pretty terrible except one.

Loire Atlantique has the Loire river running through it.

Morbihan is bordered on the south by the Atlantic ocean

Côtes d'Armor has the Channel to its north.

Ille et Vilaine has the Ille and Vilaine rivers running through it

Finisterre has the flags of Kerne and Leon either holding hands or doing a double bro-fist. During the Revolution the state re-organized everything into departments, Kerne and Leon were two ancient Breton counties that were consolidated into one French department.

Flag of Kerne

Flag of Leon

I've always thought the flag of the city of Vannes was cute, a little ermine wearing a cape with ermines on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I don't recall when I first saw it but I really like this proposed Michigan flag.

quote:

The symbolism should be fairly apparent: green is for the verdant land of Michigan, with vast forests, fields and prairies. The two stars stand for the two peninsulas which constitute Michigan. Five stripes represent the five Great Lakes, the other distinctive geographical feature of the State. They are in blue and white, representing of course blue water and white wave caps, or white as the color of water in ice and snow form.

While Lake Ontario does not in fact abut Michigan, the State remains recognized as the "Great Lakes State." The fifth stripe could alternatively be said to represent Lake St. Clair, however, keep in mind that geographical non-adjacency was no obstacle to Lake Ontario's depiction on Michigan's State quarter.

And if you want a bland city crest, check out my hometown. If there's a city flag I can't find a picture on Google.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Surely there has to be a flag flying you could get a picture of during the upcoming Scottish Festival (which I've been to far too many times)?

I would but I moved very far away several years ago. I do miss the Highland Festival, I haven't in town for it in since 2008 or 2009 :smith:

Here's my current city's flag, which isn't that exciting but has a happy looking sheep which is pretty cool.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Speleothing posted:

My favorite part of the Michigan flag is the correct use of a Latin irregular verb. "We shall defend"

Which is, to say "gently caress off Ohio, just try to invade, we dare you."

Fixed that for you.

• Locked thread