Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

The flag of Belgium, the world's only one whose actual dimensions are 13:15, and nobody knows why. Also, it's not some jumbled version of Germany's flag, because the 'yellow' in Germany's flag is supposed to be gold.

I like how soothing this design is.

Flag of my home town.

Also, I tried but somehow failed to upload Prussia's flag. I've always liked its nice combination of no-nonsense (black and white, predominantly) and assorted eagle badassery. For additional radness, Prussia's motto was 'Suus cuique', which means 'Each to his own', representing the state's ideal that as long as you paid your taxes and contributed to society in some way, they didn't care for your ethnicity, religion, or whatever, which was quite progressive in its day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Huh, why is the cross tilted to one side on top of Hungary's shield?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Falukorv posted:

Or Leon (in Spain) being named after the latin legio (legion) because it was founded by Roman legionaires.

That doesn't seem right to me. The Latin for 'lion' is 'leo' and IIRC in turn derived from Greek, while the Latin for 'legion' is 'legio'. The two words don't have a common origin.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

I don't really understand how they would be racist in a Sardinian/Corsican context, unless there's a sizable black minority present on those islands, or a shameful imperial past I'm unaware of?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

BgRdMchne posted:

Sorry. You're right. Looking at it from a local perspective, there is nothing wrong with blackamoor art or Zwarte Piet or lawn jockeys.

I was thinking there might have been another reason to put an entirely black face onto a flag other than racism or imperialism, cool your jets bro.

• Locked thread