Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

Continuing the slightly creepy Dutch theme: The 'Bloedvlag' (Bloodflag) of the Dutch navy, raised when poo poo was on, no quarter given etc.

Though I love the slightly cheeky design, the armored Moor/Saracen striking from the fog of war, it is of course a horrible symbol as thousands were about to die in unimaginable carnage every time it was raised.

The flag was last flown in the early days of WWII during the disastrous last engagement of the surface fleet in the Java Sea vs glorious Nippon. The surviving submarines flew these Jolly Rogers with markings for each kill. Sailing the Pacific and the Atlantic taking potshots at everything that wasn't allied, they must have been some of the last ever state sanctioned privateers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

Peanut President posted:

Reminds me of the Bedford Flag which (allegedly) flew at the Battle of Concord, 1775.

Huh, that can't be a coincidence, how curious. The wiki page doesn't mention it, but I wager the banner must have been a copy of the Dutch Republic's bloodflag. That one had been in use from sometime around the late 1580-1590's. Or maybe the design predates both uses?

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

Amateurs,

:black101: CoA and flag of lovely Dutch municipality Haaksbergen.

• Locked thread