Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I've been trying to decide on a coat of arms for myself for a while now, so I thought I'd post my ideas in the thread.

About a year and a half ago I started after reading a couple books and speaking to my grandparents about my family history. Originally in England my paternal family worked as groundskeepers and dug graves, and my maternal grandfather's device is a bee, so I came up with this:

Or and Argent = rays of sunlight shining down on the earth, which has a skull (which I planned on coining "Yorick") in base.

I know about the rule of metal, but from what I've read that really only applies to metal-on-metal, rather than side-by-side, and I was able to find a few historical examples similar to what I have here. My problem with this design was that skulls are kind of "Ed Hardy", so I then moved on to this:

Which I like, but doesn't have much meaning aside from being a teacher (billets = letters, education).

My latest attempts are these two (sorry for the rough designs):

Bees, grandfather, Lion, England

and:

Lion changed to Sealion to represent my living on the ocean.

I like them all, and have yet to make a decision despite thinking about it for some time :(

Edit: I've also considered just doing a murrey/arget stripe design, as it's simple and I don't believe it's been done before:

Murrey is more burgundy in Canada for some reason iirc.

Professor Shark has a new favorite as of 20:40 on Dec 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Argent and Or: I'll double check which armorial I know one of them is in, but I must have deleted the other few examples I found.

They're all pretty much bendy/bends/ per fess.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It turns out I was thinking of the Bellenville Armorial and after flipping through about half of it I cannot tell if knights just didn't care about tincture/ metal rules or if the heralds were just being lazy/ never got around to finishing:

Bonus Chicken-Head Knight:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

A few more, divided between or/argent tangent and bizzare and awful looking stuff:

I'm coming more and more around to the conclusion that the or/argent thing wasn't followed in a lot of cases (at least according to this armorial) by those who supposedly needed it the most, which makes me question the existence of the "rule" today.

Professor Shark has a new favorite as of 14:17 on Dec 31, 2013

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Weird stuff:

Professor Shark has a new favorite as of 14:23 on Dec 31, 2013

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

E4C85D38 posted:

Information

Thanks for this!

E4C85D38 posted:

"Azure, [however you'd blazon the woman's head] a bordure checky argent and gules" is not a violation because a charge of a metal and a color may be placed on either.

This was just supposed to be a "what?" example, I had no problem with the tincture aspect.

E4C85D38 posted:

Upper left: It took me a bit to figure out what the gently caress is going on here. It appears to be something like "Gules, fretty azure semé of [charge I don't recognize] argent", or maybe some ordinary variation applied to the fretty.

Isn't this just vair?

E4C85D38 posted:

I don't know what the gently caress.

Flying fish? It showed up a couple of times in the armorial.

E4C85D38 posted:

This is awesome.

It is, plus it's 3D, which I haven't seen before.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Updating this to include the coat of arms that I've chosen for myself:

Murrey, semy bees or

What another heraldist did up using the common purple/red mixture for Murrey:

I changed it to what Canadian heraldry depict Murrey as:

He revised it to what a design program calls "maroon":

I think that the bees from the stock images he used look too much like horseflies (Interesting Fact: Pope Urban VIII's family coat of arms originally was 3 horseflies, but as the family became "more noble" the charges did too, and so the flies were upgraded to bees), but it was nice of him to whip up.

I like it, and I'm glad that taking a step back from the process helped me to cement my ideas. This thread got me back to thinking about it, so thanks!

Professor Shark has a new favorite as of 21:19 on Sep 26, 2014

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Professor Shark has a new favorite as of 21:24 on Feb 16, 2014

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

There was another one that had a "label" on it, denoting the son-and-heir of the guy with the underwear on his shield. So that no one gets confused and thinks that HE is Sir Underwear, Sr.

Also that horse is more anatomically accurate than most charges.

NSFW

Professor Shark has a new favorite as of 22:11 on Feb 16, 2014

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

http://www.kb.nl/bladerboek/wapenboek/browse/book.html

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Le0 posted:

Flag chat yey!

Here are all the Swiss Cantons flags. I like them because I think most of them are quite unique. Best one being mine of course, Neuchâtel.

Is it Canton or Canting? I think a Canton is the "badge" part of a shield, like the blue-with-stars part of the US flag...

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canton_%28heraldry%29

I didn't realize that it meant "corner", which applies to the Swiss map, you're right

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think that's some sort of famous knot, it's used pretty frequently in heraldry as a badge for families from a region in England... I cannot remember.

Edit: The Stafford badge

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Hey, I'm sure you aren't aware of this, but this is actually a very, VERY controversial flag and terrible symbol of the Nazi Party.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Here's the Brisbane flag. It took me ages to figure out what is was for after I saw it for the first time outside city hall.

Every time I check out this page I scroll past this flag and I dig it more and more. The 6 panel design can look p good:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Scrollin through an armorial, heraldry has the most bizarre poo poo in it:

:stonk:

No Sir Underwear yet, I'll look over the last half of it tomorrow (750+ pages in total, these things were crazy!).

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I thought this one was kind of cool, brothers/ cousins I assume

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Kidney Stone posted:

12072009014 by vexborg, on Flickr

This is the coat of arms from my wife family, her maiden name was Günther, and the family was granted the coat of arms from Axel Gustafsson Oxenstierna af Södermöre as a reward for good service in the Battle of Lützen in 1632 during the Thirty Years' War.

Still hoping to find a colour version of the coat of arms.

Your wife may or may not be eligible for those arms unless you can trace her from being a direct descendent, consistently the offspring of each first-born son or daughters (I think daughters juts kept their father's arms?), of whoever the arms were granted to.

That would be quite the task and it's pretty unlikely their hers.

Professor Shark has a new favorite as of 18:25 on Nov 11, 2014

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

In the mean time I asked about it on a heraldry site, they might be able to find an armorial that would either have a full color version or a description.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Kidney Stone posted:

That would be pretty cool if they could - we'd be thankful! :)

Someone found an entry in Rietstap's Armorial General:

=
De sable au lion d'or tenant une fleur de lis d'argent, or a black background with a gold lion holding a white fleur-de-lis

They suggest contacting Swedish Heraldry societies/ authorities to confirm that this is in fact the correct Guenther!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Kidney Stone posted:

Ok, that's actually quite helpful - I've taken contact to Svenska Heraldiska Föreningen, hopefully they'll be able to help us out?

By the way, how come you know so much about heraldry?

Not sure, I just became very interested in it when I read about it. Vanity probably plays a role in there too :)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Andrew Stewart Jamieson, who I believe is now retired from heraldry, is my all time favorite heraldic artist:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My home province has a pretty badass coat of arms:

Nova Scotia (New Scotland, hence the simple reversal of color from the Scottish flag and plopping the Scottish coat of arms down inescutcheon (shield in the middle of a shield))

This was the original coat of arms when the province was founded, but apparently people simply forgot about it and eventually the government made up their own and used this visual monstrosity:

It was used for a long time, but thankfully someone rediscovered the original arms.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Hogge Wild posted:

Hah, "Don't fear the Reaper".

What does the motto say?

According to Wiki "One [hand] defends and the [hand] other conquers"

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Tuskin38 posted:

Nova Scotia Bros

:hfive:

Here is the CoA for the Nova Scotia Tattoo, a Scottish dance event that occurs yearly:

It has the NS colors, I think it looks pretty cool

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Military heraldry could be so much better if they invested in an actual herald every once in a while

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

:eyepop: that crest

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Randoms, may be repeats:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think the term is "portrait heraldry", but there was a period where heraldry went through a really, really ugly phase.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Two modern, not very classic designs that I really like despite it:

It's all about that white/gold red/blue combination

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Admiral Bosch posted:

I've always liked my surname's coat of arms(not that I am in any way calling it my personal arms), just because it seems so different from all the other European heraldry designs. I kinda want to get a tattoo of it, but I'm afraid people would mistake it for a neo-Nazi rune design or something.

That's a "fret", it's actually not too uncommon and looks good:

There's also "fretty", which is a series of frets:

I plan on using fretty in some capacity when I design a coat of arms for my partner, as a cant on her name.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Night of A Monkey Holding An Apple

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

(testicles)

• Locked thread