Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

One Swell Foop posted:

The flag of British Columbia is a garish, horrible mess:

That's a partial knock-off of the flag for this Pacific island nation known as Kiribati:

quote:

Scotland's coat of arms has the motto "Nemo me impune lacessit", which translates to "No-one threatens us with impunity", or more loosely, "Come and have a go if yeh think yeh're fookin' hard enough".

Yeah, that sounds like something Scotland would have as a motto.

To get back on topic: I've been looking at flags from Pacific Island nations, a lot of which use stars to represent the many islands scattered across the Pacific or the Union Jack to represent that they were once owned by or had a connection with the United Kingdom, especially true in the case of Australia. The one for Papua New Guinea (an island nation bordering Indonesia to the east; capital is Port Moresby) has an interesting history. The flag is only 42 years old. It was designed by a fifteen-year-old girl named Susan Huhume in 1971.

Oh, and that furry-looking butterfly is actually a bird of paradise.

Penny Paper has a new favorite as of 22:16 on Dec 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

7c Nickel posted:

This is not a flag. It's the logo for some sort of prescription cream.

That's considered high praise in Utah.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

carry on then posted:

Grew up here and the flags are about the only redeeming quality.

Also that Provo flag is amazing because there's no way it wasn't made in PowerPoint.

I was thinking it was made on Word 2003 (because I actually remember doing stuff like that when I was first taught Microsoft Word in school).

Penny Paper has a new favorite as of 07:05 on Dec 15, 2013

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

magic pantaloons posted:

Is it sad that I prefer this fictional Australian flag from the Simpsons than the actual one?

No, it's evidence that The Simpsons (when it was good) has the power to influence pop culture and world culture, much like any other form of media.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Glasgow used to be the heroin capital of Europe...

So there is some truth to Trainspotting!

• Locked thread