Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Wait how do the asm.js/wasm teams do it in their demos then? I thought they had really smooth complex games running on js, although maybe WebGL does it in a better way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy
asm.js is a different beast entirely. GC is disabled, there is no access to the DOM, no dynamic type guards, no (auto-)boxed values, plus everything defined in asm.js has a more or less clear compilation path to machine code.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Hmm, maybe I should have watched the video rather than being an internet person and commenting on something without knowing anything about it.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I don't really get the gmail being slow thing. Do people really find it that bad aside from startup time? I have a laptop that is a few years old and I've never felt weird about its performance. Come to think of it I don't really have many issues with most sites' performance aside from startup time.

edit: I've also never run in to any bugs :confused:

edit: The video is weird since it briefly goes in to "Node.js sucks and is bad and also performance on web stuff is horrible" but then also kind of goes in to a different direction of people not caring about quality in software, which is somewhat tangential. He doesn't really address core problems with Node.js, he says Gmail is bad and also Node.js is bad, but the things he brings up about Gmail aren't really about the stack it's running off of (which is probably python on the backend and some bizarro Google framework like GWT still on the front-end) aside from the front-end performance, which I haven't really had issues with but still a valid concern.

Analytic Engine posted:

Here's a video trashing Node and webdev by Casey Muratori, a guy who contributed to the game The Witness, wrote very popular graphics rendering code, and is making the C++ Handmade Hero project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6azav9sXK_4

I do webdev and data visualization for tech-focused-but-not-really-tech companies, and I'm worried that guys like this have the right idea and I'm wasting my career on garbage software.

He's also kind of trashing....most software in general. He doesn't really point to anything js specific but also goes on to say that low software quality is a tradeoff and makes sense for a lot of people, and hell most jobs you're working on will probably fit that bill.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 25, 2016

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Game development is an entirely different world and culture, and sometimes it's cryptic or frustrating to deal with. People are expected to know the math, know the tricks, and learn what a lot of tricky code is doing, all inline.

In any modern engine, your audio code or your physics code is likely going to be large amounts of SIMD, optimized to hell and back. I haven't seen one good JS port of a physics engine that doesn't have a giant GC pause after a few frames because every collision generates 200 different objects for the colliding pairs.

JIT behavior and performance is unpredictable and undebuggable, and there's no constant set of best practices for how to make your code faster on modern JITs -- there are loads of "magic tricks" which have broken when e.g. Crankshaft comes out and completely blows up by doing a full-hot-compile mid-frame.

So, to game developers and demoscene people like Casey and Jonathan Blow, the fact that JS is finally now getting SIMD support in 2016, and it's still really basic MMX poo poo, is laughable. It's amateur hour. JS still doesn't have real large integers (you have to emulate it with pairs of 32-bit numbers)??? How do you build anything with real precision? (answer: you just don't, everything eventually breaks given too large of a number)

Emscripten throws the entire thing out and goes "let's emulate the C runtime heap by having a giant loving Uint8Array which we can address", which, hey, it works. You don't get GC pauses, you just get a giant 100MB constant overhead and hope you don't run out.

And this is just JS. Let's not get started about how the web platform is complete horseshit where we have five different ways of drawing basic shapes, with different semantics between them, undefined and strange amounts of feature overlap, and of course none of them cooperate in any way.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I don't use npm, so I don't know the workflow or why people aren't putting their dependencies under source control, but some developer flipped his lid:

quote:

Koçulu did not take the decision well. "I know you for years and would never imagine you siding with corporate patent lawyers threatening open source contributors," he wrote back. Disillusioned, Koçulu demanded, "I want all my modules to be deleted including my account, along with this package. I don’t wanna be a part of NPM anymore. If you don’t do it, let me know how do it quickly. I think I have the right of deleting all my stuff from NPM."

Which caused a 2 hour period where apparently "thousands" of devs had all their poo poo broken. Hah, I say, serves you all right.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Suspicious Dish posted:

So, to game developers and demoscene people like Casey and Jonathan Blow, the fact that JS is finally now getting SIMD support in 2016, and it's still really basic MMX poo poo, is laughable. It's amateur hour.

Thanks SD, this viewpoint is really interesting and I never hear it from webdev & dataviz circles. Are there serious debates on this stuff or weighing of concerns amongst architects and seniors at Goog/etc?

To crosspost from YOSPOS, Jon Blow gave a lecture on why webdev "sucks" and how SV is wasting their developer talent. It's pretty inflammatory and not what you usually hear from the mouths of millionaire SV tech people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k56wra39lwA

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 25, 2016

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
I get that game dev consumes single machine resources and requires realtime guarantees that no other branch of software dev really needs, but holy lol if you honestly say they don't output some genuinely buggy poo poo.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
To be fair to garbage collection, gc delays with a continuous collector aren't really any worse or less predictable than the delays you get doing manual heap allocation. There's a reason you don't do heap allocation in the hot path! The fundamental difference is that most gc-ed languages encourage you to allocate short-lived objects in the shared heap and let the garbage collector handle it, while in C you can place those objects on the stack for effectively zero-cost allocation and deallocation.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

piratepilates posted:

If you weren't doing viz then what would you be doing instead, and what makes you think that'll be better or less of a pain in the rear end than what you're doing right now?

I still want to do dataviz but I've been focused on D3 and JS libraries. Some visualizations are not feasible with that (1000s of nodes, 60fps interactive perspective changes, etc) and would require C++, but I want to stay with JS for everything to maximize the compound-interest-learning effect.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

FamDav posted:

He has some valid points but you can tell his personal definition of quality is heavily informed by the stuff that he works on. His negativity towards garbage collectors and his implication that c means high quality are questionable.

garbage collectors are not necessarily bad but if you can have a better system (like ARC) then you should use that

C only implies high quality because many of the remaining people who still insist on using C know how to eke out some semblance of quality

even then, modern C has some surprising edge cases to people who have been using it for a very long time and still (quite incorrectly) see it as a fairly straightforward translation to CPU instructions

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
The Destroy All Software guy dos a talk couple years back, and it was kinda jokey but I reckon there's a lot of grains of truth to it.

https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/talks/the-birth-and-death-of-javascript

At the core of it, the possibility is we will use JavaScript forever more, but will probably stop writing it directly (and arguably because most people use transpilers, this is already happening to a degree). The way we get away from the flaws of JavaScript is to write better languages, have better tooling and make it work. Arguably projects like Elm are a good step towards this, compile time validation goes a long way to avoid runtime debugging code that looks nothing like what you wrote.

How long it takes to get to a point where we no longer debug JavaScript is debatable, but it'd be great if it's achievable.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Blow is making his own language now, so that's something to look forward to. I think he streams sessions about it on twitch?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Jabor posted:

To be fair to garbage collection, gc delays with a continuous collector aren't really any worse or less predictable than the delays you get doing manual heap allocation. There's a reason you don't do heap allocation in the hot path! The fundamental difference is that most gc-ed languages encourage you to allocate short-lived objects in the shared heap and let the garbage collector handle it, while in C you can place those objects on the stack for effectively zero-cost allocation and deallocation.

Yeah! I'm not suggesting that GC is inherently bad, it's a tradeoff with massive consequences all over your system. The usual way of dealing with allocation expense in GC languages is object pooling, which is effectively emulating memory manual allocation with the semantics you're given, by pre-allocating objects.

My issue is that JS APIs tend to require short-lived heap objects to be created and destroyed, like the getImageData I described earlier. Even stuff where they should know better, you have stuff like the Web Audio requiring buffer allocation with every period.

In the modern web space, you have stuff like Redux and React which are built on the ideas of immutability and pure transformations, where you return new objects instead of mutating existing ones. Languages that are pure functional tend to have optimizations for such things that turn pure transformations into mutations of existing storage, because it's easier to reason about and much cheaper. JS semantics make it difficult to do something similar, so your super clean and pure Redux is just reaming stuff directly into the GC's dead zone.

I haven't seen any great discussion on the web about this.

C, the language, doesn't magically fix this, but C has a culture towards being careful with allocations in your APIs, and in most cases, expecting that users pass a buffer and size.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

FamDav posted:

I get that game dev consumes single machine resources and requires realtime guarantees that no other branch of software dev really needs, but holy lol if you honestly say they don't output some genuinely buggy poo poo.

nobody's saying game devs are perfect and bug-free, especially across the wide variety of platforms their software tends to be deployed on.

i'm saying that their upbringing and culture mean that they tend to be more thoughtful about waste and performance, and less about developer productivity. they see new platforms like node.js as poor since they can't apply that same level of thoughtfulness and performance to software, even if they really wanted to.

if you want to know how this poo poo affected me in production, literally a bug i investigated today, let's talk about how protobufs in python were on the average of 440kb in object size, to simply store a 16 byte-long string.

we were storing next to 17000 protobufs in memory (one for each asset in a transformation pipeline), and that gave us a memory overhead of 7GB. why is protobuf so memory-hungry? nobody knows.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6987413/google-protocol-buffers-huge-in-python

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
After watching the video from the handmade hero guy I watched this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9pEzgHorH0

He talks about Google's Oauth2 Library for python and has some good examples of "coding dogma" going too far. After the NPM fiasco It made me appreciate that even big corps who pretend to know IT infrastructure and coding are not always as good as they pretend they are.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Game developer and people with demoscene background tend to hate the idea of GC, because GC pauses and predictability kill you in a networked, realtime environment where the expectation is 60fps. He's right when he says C is one of the only modern, usable languages which let you effectively use system resources to their maximum potential.

I've encountered this with web APIs. Canvas, in general, is notoriously lovely about pretending resources are free. Chrome doesn't even track ImageData allocation size correctly, let alone manage it. It thinks since it has a width, a height, and a pointer to a Uint8Array, it's relatively small object and doesn't bother cleaning it up. By creating too many ImageData objects, you can crash Chrome:

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=242215
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=554523

Any sane API written by graphics people who expect 60fps at a bare minimum wouldn't do allocations on getImageData, it would require you pass in a pre-allocated buffer of the correct size so it could be reused. You never do allocation in your hot path.

A good part of the web's poor performance, IMO, can be tracked down to superfluous object creation. I try hard to hit 60fps in everything I do -- preallocate resources, make sure not to create additional objects and closures during runtime, as much as I can. My X server project had to jump through bizarre and unnatural hoops to cut down on GC pauses.

Not to mention that uncollectable reference cycles are extremely easy to create in JS -- closure holds onto a DOM node means that the closure is not able to be freed easily without a full GC collection run in both Firefox and Chrome, since it crosses WebIDL boundaries and destruction can't be done during a light pass.

Instead of using new ImageElement, we use an image element pool and reuse the image elements, just because we've had so much bullshit involving Chrome not releasing (we do a lot of download image to image element in javascript, draw it in canvas) that we'd rather keep a limited number alive indefinitely. It's not even a DOM thing, there been bugs if you even just change the img src in Chrome.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

nobody's saying game devs are perfect and bug-free, especially across the wide variety of platforms their software tends to be deployed on.

i'm saying that their upbringing and culture mean that they tend to be more thoughtful about waste and performance, and less about developer productivity. they see new platforms like node.js as poor since they can't apply that same level of thoughtfulness and performance to software, even if they really wanted to.

if you want to know how this poo poo affected me in production, literally a bug i investigated today, let's talk about how protobufs in python were on the average of 440kb in object size, to simply store a 16 byte-long string.

we were storing next to 17000 protobufs in memory (one for each asset in a transformation pipeline), and that gave us a memory overhead of 7GB. why is protobuf so memory-hungry? nobody knows.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6987413/google-protocol-buffers-huge-in-python

My concern is that nowhere in his definition of quality is correctness. I'm also concerned that he's approaching it from the game-centric perspective of a single release of a mostly disconnected piece of software, as compared to most other things which have ongoing maintenance/feature requests/etc.

Also on tracing vs ref counting like arc, the reality is that any performant version of either will turn into a hybrid of the two concepts.

http://researcher.watson.ibm.com/researcher/files/us-bacon/Bacon04Unified.pdf

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
can you give me a definition of "correctness" for any software project, and explain why game development doesn't meet it?

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

can you give me a definition of "correctness" for any software project, and explain why game development doesn't meet it?

I'm not saying game Dev doesn't, just that caseys quality rant never once mentioned correctness as something that's important for high quality software.

Correctness in my mind is that your software conforms to the constraints you assert it does.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Analytic Engine posted:

Are there serious debates on this stuff or weighing of concerns amongst architects and seniors at Goog/etc?

Hahaha, no. The API implementors just shrug off real world concerns, refer to mythical future VM optimisations by other teams, then point to their toy examples running on top-spec hardware as definitive proof that Photoshop/Final Cut Pro/Ableton Live/Skype/etc are fully implementable in-browser on all platforms.

:smith:

Suspicious Dish posted:

Even stuff where they should know better, you have stuff like the Web Audio requiring buffer allocation with every period.

Yeah, that's pretty much precisely the moment I checked out of the W3C web audio working group. It's many years later now and it's still a malformed poo poo show.

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 24, 2016

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

ynohtna posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much precisely the moment I checked out of the W3C web audio working group. It's many years later now and it's still a malformed poo poo show.
The w3c is fundamental incapable of creating useful standards from scratch. They have literally zero successful standards that are not adoptions or minor refinements of work done outside the w3c. Ian Hickson has a nice post on why it doesn't work (relevant part is the reply to Glenn Adams).

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
web audio wasn't even a W3C invention though, it was a Google one. they just dumped it on the W3C in the pretense of standards. same with the Notifications API.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Google has a habit of doing that these days.

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
What the w3c does and doesn't accomplish is basically completely dictated by the browser manufactures -- if le Goog or Apple want to play obstructionist in whatever working group they're participating in (and they participate in most of them), then they're absolutely going to, pushing their vision and only their vision to the point where there isn't a lot that other contributors can do about it.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Lone_Strider posted:

...Dworkin's Law?

James Deen's >> /dev/anal law

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
https://medium.com/swlh/improving-angular-performance-with-1-line-of-code-a1fb814a6476#.uz30rv9m2

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

To be fair, the docs specifically tell you to do this.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
im not surprised that nobody reads the angular docs

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Suspicious Dish posted:

im not surprised that nobody reads the angular docs

:agreed:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Can someone post an example of not using the angular debug libraries in ToDo app form?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

I mean, he is exactly right in the sense that these companies have huge numbers of engineers that they hire. I think what happens is that most of these engineers are grossly mismanaged, and they spend most of their days playing internet games and twiddling their thumbs. The reality is that these companies can make loads of money with very few developers, but for some reason they feel obligated to keep expanding their roster. If my college days are indicative of this situation, its that 1-2 people write 99% of the functionality. Everyone else just adds random lines of code, methods, and classes everywhere so that they can claim that they did something.
WEB BUBBLE 2.0, been calling it since I was in highscool.

• Locked thread