Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2nd Rate Poster
Mar 25, 2004

i started a joke

RealityApologist posted:

The pruning will happen whether or not we advocate for digital alternatives. Natural systems grow to over capacity, and then settle back into more stable configurations. That's to be expected.

But pruning doesn't mean genocide and killing, which by the way we're already doing quite a lot of without any digital anything. Pruning just means a reduction of the connections between nodes. Technological unemployment is a kind of pruning; it removes the redundant or unnecessary jobs being performed by big clumsy humans, with machines that perform more accurately and efficiently. That means more people unemployed, which means that resources will have to be distributed in some other way than through the labor process, because we can no longer rely on the network of employment for allocating resources. In some sense, it frees up the economic situation to find other stable patterns of interaction.

For instance, you see people worried about the economic implications of things like renters services. If I can just rent a car when I need it from Zipcar, or get a ride from Uber, then I'll never need to own a car. So you get pruning in ownership, and that corresponds to new structures that support the new sharing networks.

Another kind of pruning we'll see is probably a reduction in the size of the really massive social networks like Facebook, as the digital population gets better at finding and cultivating more personalized and immediate communities in other parts of the net. These are forms of organizational pruning that are perfectly normal and expected and shouldn't give anyone cause to freak out. In many cases we can anticipate and prepare for these events, like we do for earthquakes and tsunamis.

Good points, but I suggest that a better option might be to do some digital advocacy for the collective social graph. Too often we find ourselves disconnected and lost due to the economic realities of the digital economy. If we take the tack of organizing the social graph into a stratospheric configuration (directed acyclic graphs, etc..), it will directly lead to better realities for all peoples. Sites like instagram are already proving this with their interconnectedness and sharing. No organizational pruning is required, only some re allocation of our digital and social currencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread