Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Wakaouji is a cool guy, and I wish there was a friends option like the others.

Teru is the most appropriate though. And Masaki's just way too bland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
I'm gonna close the poll and declare Teru the winner - which means Siren has her work cut out for her. Time to do some research!

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
New Valkyria Chronicles coming: http://www.destructoid.com/first-shots-of-valkyria-azure-revolution-and-the-ps4-remaster-321460.phtml

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

quote:

a new, anime-as-hell Valkyria Chronicles

Is there some other kind of VC? :confused:

Also Selvaria's in the first promo pic. I like how VC has gone full DMC in ignoring VC2 and just constantly making prequels.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

BlitzBlast posted:

Is there some other kind of VC? :confused:

Also Selvaria's in the first promo pic. I like how VC has gone full DMC in ignoring VC2 and just constantly making prequels.

Also announced was a PS4 remastered version of VC1. I think that's where the Selvaria is from.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Tokimemo Girl's Side 2, Chapter 14: That's how the playettes got to be

So, after a false start and a lot of goofing off, we've finally decided on Teru for our Siren playthrough of Girl's Side 2. Siren has her work cut out for her now that she has chosen High Standards Main Character as her target of choice, which usually brings with it a high risk of bombing--but in Girl's Side 2, the best friend system removes Harry from the equation (kind of - we'll get back to that later) while Masaki and Wakaoji are both too old for high school drama.

So now we're just going to have to worry about stats. With a year and a half to go, let's check out our girl and what she's doing:

Ignoring her stress (high) and money (not going to last), Siren's doing pretty well on the stats front.

Academics 116 (150 required)
Art 110 (150 required)
Sports 130 (150 required)
Social 156 (110 required)
Fashion 98 (150 required)
Looks 43 (90 required)

Siren's current pace won't cut it - she may be smart, fit, and popular, but... but she has her hair in a plain ponytail and wears glasses. This just won't do! To the mirror!

9/1: Fishing for sympathy

Siren: (Alright, time to head home)
???: Your voice dying isn't the end! It's just the beginning!
???: Osu!
???: Can you keep going?!
???: I can!
Siren: (Is that Amachi-kun shouting?)

"Osu!" is a shout most often used in martial arts like karate or kendo. It serves as a greeting (it's technically short for "ohayou gozaimasu"/"good morning" but hasn't really been used in that context in decades) and an affirmation, shouted as loudly as possible to show spirit and get the adrenaline pumping. It's a bit similar to how the US Marine Corps uses "Oorah", so you can see why cheerleading groups like Amachi's use it too. The word technically has kanji, but they're used more for the sound than the meaning, because they mean "push" and "endure".

You might know it already from one of my favorite games for the DS ever, where Japanese cheerleaders save the world with the power of their fighting spirit and passionate cheering.

Vice Captain: Ey! Osu!
Amachi: Ey! Osu!
Vice Captain: Ey! Osu!
Amachi: Ey! Osu!
Siren: (He looks so serious. It's like he's a completely different person.)

Male cheerleading in Japan can be Serious Business. The traditional costume is a long black gakuran with a red headband and white gloves, which are never removed. Remember that these cheerleaders are expected to show up to all sporting events and lead cheers in that costume, no matter the conditions - the cheerleaders go to Koushien every year in the withering August heat and humidity, and in some ways the cheerleaders need to be in better shape than the team does to be able to function in those conditions, much less shout at the top of their lungs and dance in a coordinated fashion. It's a little weird for someone like Amachi to be part of it.

Cheerleaders: Good work out there!
Amachi: ...Oops.
Amachi: Fudou-senpai, did you see the whole practice?
Siren: Yeah. Your voice is really shot, isn't it.
Amachi: Hahaha, this is nothing.
Amachi: Sometimes, I can barely move after practice.
Siren: It must be really tough in the cheerleading squad.

Amachi: Sorry, senpai, if I'm not back to the club room soon, they'll give me hell. I should...
Siren: Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to keep you.

Amachi: Heh. I feel refreshed.
Amachi: How mysterious.
Siren: Hmm?

Amachi's tone of voice changes while he's delivering this line, too. Creepy.

Amachi: Nothing. Bye!
Siren: (For a second there, he felt like a different person again. It might just be my imagination, though.)

Let's just try not to think about it, shall we?

9/4: Wakaoji's birthday

Option 1: A portrait of Wakaoji drawn during class
Option 2: Parisian-scented kitty litter
Option 3: "How to be a Responsible Adult"

Strangely, the correct option is the portrait that Siren drew in class while she wasn't paying attention.

Siren: Wakaoji-sensei!
Wakaoji: What do you need, Fudou-san?
Siren: Wakaoji-sensei, it's your birthday today, right?
Wakaoji: Now that you mention it, I think so.
Siren: I know so! I got you a present, too.

Wakaoji: "Wakaoji-kun, please take care not to accept gifts from students. You are terrible at separating your personal and professional affairs."
Siren: Oh, is that your impression of the head teacher?
Wakaoji: Bingo. I'm sorry.
Siren: I see...

Wakaoji: But thank you. I'm glad you remembered my birthday.
Siren: (He didn't take the present this year, either.)

9/6: Walking with Teru

Siren: Saeki-kun!
Teru: Hey, Ren.
Siren: Want to walk home together?
Teru: You know I'm in a hurry, right?
Siren: Oh, you're right, I guess--

Teru: That means you better keep up.
Siren: (He's allergic to giving a straight answer, isn't he...)

Siren: The school trip is coming up. Are you ready?
Teru: ..Aww, crap, I forgot! I hope I'm not too late. If I hurry--
Siren: You still have plenty of time to pack.
Teru: I only have five days, that's barely enough time to list out what I need.
Siren: Whoa! It's not like we're going overseas!

Teru: Wait, wait, what're you talking about?
Siren: Weren't we talking about packing for the school trip?
Teru: Seriously? I can do that in an hour, easily. I'm talking about stuff I need for the cafe.
Siren: Oh.
Teru: You're so far behind this conversation that it's maddening.

9/10: Siren Strikes Back

Siren: (Hey, that's Saeki-kun over there, drifting around aimlessly. Which means...)
Siren: Saeki-kun, you're such a meanie! It's my turn today, you were supposed to have lunch with meeeee!

Teru: Haha, I'm so sorry, I was just about to--

Teru: ...
Siren: ...
Siren: Umm, uhh... gotcha?

Teru: You have one chance to redeem yourself.
Siren: It, uh, it was just a joke. And violence is never the answer.

Teru: Milk and one super hot curry bread. Pick them up at the cafeteria.
Teru: We're gonna have lunch together, right?
Siren: Uhh, are you gonna give me money for that?
Siren: ...I'll be right back.

9/9: A truce at the mall. And the hard work it takes to look carefree.

Teru: Hey, check that out! It'd look great on you.
Siren: Really? I'll try it out!
Teru: You should. My sense for these things is pretty sharp.
Siren: (Yay! I made a great impression!)

Siren: (Whoa, I got so lost looking for the bathroom. I hope Saeki-kun isn't mad at me.)
Siren: (Let's see, where is he... oh, there he is! Wait a second)

Siren: (He's doing his hair!)
Siren: (He always claims that it's naturally like that, but now I know he definitely spends a lot of time on it.)
Teru: ?!

Teru: Oh, uh, hey! You sure took your time.
Siren: Sorry about that! By the way, your hair looks great today.

Teru: Where'd that come from?
Siren: Look at you trying to play dumb.
Siren: I saw you fixing your hair in that window.
Teru: No you didn't.
Siren: Did so! Saw it right over there.
Teru: Nuh-uh, you so did not.

Siren: Hey, I think it's a little messed up in the back.
Teru: What? Where?
Siren: Gotcha.

Siren: Say something, you're kinda scaring me right now.
Teru: I am going to mess up your hair so hard it will never look the same again.
Siren: Anything but that! Sorry!

Next time: The school trip

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Wow, Teru grew a sense of humor.

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
He is really is starting to grow on me.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Sassy pair best pair.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
I'm a little late, but It's really good to see you back, Sheep. :shobon:

I remember enjoying Girl's Side 2 because it was refreshing that Teru is not a cardboard cutout prince like Kei was. I know he's intended to be the main character box artwork guy that everyone is supposed to like, but it's nice that they gave him a better personality. Mind you, Hikami is definitely my favorite character in that game.

It's been a long time since I last went through the thread and I don't remember, so just wondering - are you thinking of doing Girl's Side 3 eventually as well?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Cheese Pain posted:

It's been a long time since I last went through the thread and I don't remember, so just wondering - are you thinking of doing Girl's Side 3 eventually as well?

Original plan was to do GS 3 next and 4 last, but I feel like I want a break from the Girl's Side series, so I'll probably work on TM4 next, and GS3 after that for chronological order.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

Original plan was to do GS 3 next and 4 last, but I feel like I want a break from the Girl's Side series, so I'll probably work on TM4 next, and GS3 after that for chronological order.

Awesome! It will be fun to see both.

I finally got around to playing GS3 this year and it was so much fun. Out of the main characters, I really didn't dislike any of them, and some of the dialogue is hilarious. I'm looking forward to seeing it when it comes up.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Honestly, I think the Teru relationship has been my favorite if only for how the protagonist acts in it. Sure, Yuina was crazier, but I the protagonist was kinda just a bland someone dragged into the crazy. Here the Siren gives as good as she's got

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, watching the protagonist's interplay is a pretty big draw. I look forward to future interactions.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Any chance of more streams at some point in the future? If you're too busy or don't have the patience for it, that's cool, but they were fun.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

sleepy.eyes posted:

Any chance of more streams at some point in the future? If you're too busy or don't have the patience for it, that's cool, but they were fun.

I'm gonna try resuming streams in a couple weeks. I'll have a new post up tomorrow, then I'm in Stockholm for a week, then I'll try and land on my feet and get some streams done to finish out the year and TMGS2. Then I can close the year out, and get prep work done for TM4 in 2016.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Tokimemo Girl's Side 2, Chapter 15: Yo world, I hope you're ready for me

9/17: The school trip

Siren: The school trip is finally here! We're going to have so much fun.
Siren: Today, we're going to see the sights as a class, so that should be cool.

9/18: Tempted by the fruit of another

Wakaoji: Fudou-san.
Siren: Good morning, Wakaoji-sensei!
Wakaoji: Good morning. Do you know what you're doing today? I don't think you submitted an itinerary.
Siren: Oh, you're right! Hmm, I wonder...
Wakaoji: Oh, my. Well, if you have no other plans, would you like to tour with your teacher?
Option 1: Yes, please!
Option 2: No thanks, I'll pass.

This is the result of wishy-washy Tokimemo syndrome. Wakaoji is going to be very friendly with Siren for the rest of the game, since there's really no way to spike or sideline his relationship.

The same goes for Masaki, who keeps calling Siren every few weeks asking her out. You won't see much of them for the rest of this run, though.

Siren: No thanks, I'll pass.
Wakaoji: I see... I hope you'll be alright.
Wakaoji: Well, take care of yourself out there.
Siren: (Maybe I should've taken him up on his offer, though.)
Siren: So what should I do today? Going out alone doesn't sound fun at all.
Siren: Maybe I should see what Saeki-kun's doing.

Siren: (There he is.)
Teru: Morning. You seem chipper.
Siren: Want to go sightseeing with me?

Teru: I'll go with you, but...
Teru: If you see any of our classmates around, don't you dare ta--
Siren: Then there's no time to waste! C'mon!
Teru: You didn't hear a word I said!

Teru: Kinkakuji isn't as ugly as I thought it would be.
Siren: Ugly?
Teru: Yeah, I figured it would be way more gaudy than this.
Teru: The contrast between the lake, the pine trees, and the Golden Pavilion is beautiful.
Siren: I never thought of it that way.

Teru: This must be one of those places you just have to see to understand.

Teru: It's... taller than I thought here.
Siren: Yeah.
Teru: Say, this is the stage at Kiyomizu, right?
Teru: The one they talk about all the time?
Siren: Yeah, of course it is.
Teru: I've been looking this whole time... but where are the seats?
Siren: The what?
Teru: The seats. You know, since this is a stage, the audience needs somewhere to sit and watch, right? Where are they?

According to old Japanese superstitions, jumping off of Kiyomizu's stage (a height of 13 meters) and surviving meant that your wish would be granted. For obvious reasons, this practice has been banned for centuries. The saying survives in popular culture, though.

Siren: Saeki-kun, are you serious right now?
Teru: What? Of, of course not! Of course this place doesn't have theater seating!
Siren: I knew you were kidding!
Teru: ...So there really aren't any seats.
Siren: What?!
Teru: Alright, on to the next place!

Teru: So, this is apparently a famous shrine for lovers. There's a love god here or something?
Teru: That explains all the couples.
Siren: Yeah, it looks like they can read your compatibility here.

Teru: Ugh... a lot of people believe that kind of thing, don't they.
Siren: I take it you're not one of the believers?
Teru: Not at all. I mean, if a god claimed your relationship was bad, would it suddenly become bad?
Siren: Yeah, I see what you mean.
Teru: I'll judge that stupid god right back in his stupid face if he says that to me.
Siren: Alright, fine, we'll go somewhere else. Geez.
Teru: Hey, wait, weren't you going to check our compatibility?!
Siren: (And every place we went ended up just like this.)

Siren and Teru's current tourist spot is called Jishu shrine, a part of Kiyomizu that is famous for its Romance Rocks, two rocks located about 6 meters apart that are, of course, the subjects of an old legend. To fulfill the legend of the Romance Rocks, a person has to start at one rock, close their eyes, and successfully navigate to the other rock without looking. Success means luck in love - and if outside help is required, then it means that outside assistance will be needed in love as well.

I bet Teru was looking forward to messing with a blinded Siren.

Siren: Whew! That was fun!
Teru: It wasn't bad. I'm getting used to going everywhere with you these days.
Teru: The day after tomorrow's our next free day, right? Wanna just keep sightseeing together?
Siren: Of course I do!
Teru: Alright, cool. I hope you have a good idea where we're going by then.

9/19: The obligatory pillow fight

Siren: (Day 4 of the trip was another group outing. The schedule was really tight, so most of us are exhausted.)
Siren: (Hmm, but the boys' room sounds really rowdy.)
Haruhi: Found ya, Ren!
Siren: Do you know what's going on, Haruhi-chan?
Haruhi: The boys seem to be holdin' a fun little party in their room. Wanna take a peek?
Siren: Yeah, I'll come along!

Haruhi: I knew ya'd say that, Ren!
Haruhi: Now, let's run in there before anyone spots us!

Siren: Harry!
Harry: Agh! What're you doing here? You scared me!

Teru: I figured you'd be here, Ren.

Siren: What's going on here?
Teru: You're better off not knowing. Go back to your room, fast.
Siren: What? Why?
Teru: This room... is about to get dangerous.
(fwump)
Siren: Augh!

It's hard to express through text, but Teru really sounds like he's having fun delivering that last line.

The pillow fight works almost exactly the same as in Girl's Side 1, so I won't cover it other than by showing you the various pillow-tossing supers. Also, Harry and Haruhi look amazing in this screenshot.

Siren, who is nominally a member of the track team, gets the Wild 100 Meter Dash.

Harry, who must have spent a lot of time at home thinking of his move names, has The Capriccio Capriccio to Ruin. Yes, he says Capriccio twice, once in Japanese and once in... Italian, technically.

Teru summons the firebreathing Giant Monster, Makuranoginus (makura means pillow).

Haruhi's is the best, though. She gets in her bakery uniform, and summons an all-you-can-eat feast of cake and donuts. Look at how happy Teru is. I don't even mind losing to this.

At the end of the mini-game, the usual happens.

Head teacher: Hey! What's going on in there?!
Boy: Crap! Everyone, hide!
Siren: (Wh, where should I hide?)
Option 1: In the closet
Option 2: Under a blanket
Option 3: Under a table

All 3 options are the same, so it doesn't matter what Siren picks.

Siren: (Uh oh, someone's hiding here too!)
Siren: (We're so close that we can barely breathe without touching each other...)
Siren: (My heart's going to leap out of my chest! Why won't that teacher just leave already?)
Head teacher: Hmm, I guess it wasn't this room.
Siren: (Whew... now to get out from here!)

Teru: Ren...
Siren: Saeki-kun?!
Siren: Umm, uhh, hello?
Teru: I, I kind of hope he comes back again.
Siren: (Wait, so that was Teru?)

9/20: The last day of freedom

Siren: Let's see... I should use today to pick up souvenirs.
Siren: (Where's Saeki-kun, though? Ah-ha, there he is.)
Siren: Good morning, Saeki-kun!
Teru: ...Morning.
Siren: Sleepy?
Teru: Yup. I slept well, but--
Teru: Well, if I fall asleep in the middle of something, don't act surprised.

Teru: Souvenirs... I know I'm buying something for Grandpa, but should I buy something for my parents?
Siren: Why's that a question? I bet they'll be excited to get a souvenir from your trip.
Teru: I wouldn't be so sure. I don't even go home that often.
Siren: Really?
Teru: But I don't want them pinning this on teenage rebellion either, so I guess I'll get something for them.
Siren: (He really should be more honest with himself. I wonder what he's going to buy?)

Teru: Sorry, the line at the register was nuts.
Siren: Don't worry about it. So, what'd you buy?
Teru: Just these things.
Siren: Ooh, you got some yatsuhashi snacks? One medium box--and wow, an extra large!
Teru: Yeah, that's for my parents and, and the extra big box is for Grandpa. He loves sweets, and he's really just a big kid.
Teru: Oh, and before I forget. This one's for you.
Siren: For me?
Siren: Ooh, a phone strap. It's a miniature yatsuhashi!
Teru: Haha, yeah. I liked it enough that I bought one for myself, too.
Siren: So we're doing the pair thing now?
Teru: I, I guess so. Man, I really wish you wouldn't point this stuff out.

Siren: I can't believe the trip ends tomorrow. It all went by so fast.
Teru: That's mostly your fault for turning it into a circus.
Siren: You think so?
Teru: I know so. But, it's also your fault it was fun.
Teru: I didn't expect the trip to be this fun when I got on the bus.
Teru: Thank you.
Siren: (And that's now the school trip came to an end.)

I feel like I missed an event here - and I did. D'oh! I don't have a save game old enough to see this one, either, so I'll have to settle for imperfection on this one. This is the price of being wishy-washy for a year! Oh well, I'm sure we didn't miss anything important.

Next time: Dodging character flags left and right

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh no, dark and mysterious transfer student, abort before we go full Madoka!

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Don't worry, kid couldn't be anywhere near Homura if he tried. :cawg:

I actually tried his route when I last played this game. Secret character routes are the worst kind of tedium that require you to have no life whatsoever for the entire game.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
What happens when you hide if you're on the Teacher's path? Does he find you?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

BurningStone posted:

What happens when you hide if you're on the Teacher's path? Does he find you?

Yes, but there's no significant penalty for saying no a bunch of times.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

I'm not sure there was a pillow fight on the teacher's route or not, but I don't think he's involved in it. Plus, I'm pretty sure you have to skip the pillow fight event to get another event instead.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Cheese Pain posted:

I'm not sure there was a pillow fight on the teacher's route or not, but I don't think he's involved in it. Plus, I'm pretty sure you have to skip the pillow fight event to get another event instead.

Doesn't sound worth it imo

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

It's really not. Teacher is a little boring.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Is there any secret route characters in Tokimemo that's actually worth the hoops you jump through?

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Serika's route was amazing. Not amazing enough to make me want to play TM3 though.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Robindaybird posted:

Is there any secret route characters in Tokimemo that's actually worth the hoops you jump through?

(spoiler about game not done yet)

In 4, you can date your information person. It's about as good of an idea as you think it would be.

(spoiler about character here)

She goes depressive at one point but once you're after that hump it's fine. Good dates except she goes yandere and her stuffed animal tries to murder you in your dreams if you date other girls. Her special power also causes heartbreak in EVERYONE you know so it's really not a good idea to meet other people if you can avoid it. Worth doing once because it's kind of funny but it's a really antisocial playthrough unless you want to play 'guess who's trying to bomb me' since she refuses to give out information after a certain point for obvious reasons.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Robindaybird posted:

I intend on doing at least one secret route in Tokimemo 4, because it's a nice love song to the other games (and will make the Miho/Maho hoops more fun in retrospect, I swear!)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

TM4 is the game where the secret character is probably the most well-known and popular character.

I mean poo poo, I knew who she was and her gimmick before I even read this LP.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I've been working on a tool for randomly generating funny but believable Japanese names. It's not there yet, but sometimes it hits alarmingly close to the mark...

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

FractalSandwich posted:

I've been working on a tool for randomly generating funny but believable Japanese names. It's not there yet, but sometimes it hits alarmingly close to the mark...

I want it.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
drat, I just ran into the end of the thread. It's been a fun read these last couple of weeks.

Happy second thread birthday for six days ago, since nobody seemed to notice.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Oh, man!

Happy Belated Birthday, Thread!

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Tokimemo Girl's Side 2, Chapter 16: Just another case about the wrong path

9/28: Hanging with Harry

Now that Harry and Siren don't have to deal with the awkwardness of unresolved teen relationship status, hanging out with him after school works a lot like it does with Haruhi and Siren. The two of them sit down, small talk a bit, and the blushing and mumbling is kept to a minimum.

Siren: By the way, Harry...
Harry: Huh?
Option 1: What can you tell me about boys?
Option 2: What kind of girl do guys like?
Option 3: What makes you excited?

Siren: What can you tell me about boys? I want to know more.
Harry: ...And what would you do with that knowledge?
Siren: Well, the more I know, the more I can plan my defenses, you know?
Harry: Plan your defenses? Seriously? Stop thinking like that!
Harry: Just body up on them as they come!

Siren: You want me do what with my body?
Harry: W, wait, don't get it all twisted, that's not what I meant!
Harry: Gah, where's this conversation going, anyway?
Siren: (Why's he so worked up? That's weird.)

Hey, I said the blushing and awkwardness would be kept to a minimum. Not entirely avoided. As a bonus, here's another version of the same conversation.

Siren: What kind of girl do guys like?
Harry: Jeez, that's a loaded question.
Harry: Well, you can't go wrong if you just keep improving yourself.
Harry: It's probably easier to change how you look than how you act, so... hey, why're you looking at me like that?
Siren: Are you implying that there's something wrong with how I act?
Harry: What? No! How could you get that out of what I'm saying?
Harry: Geez!
Siren: (Ack, I made him angry...)

10/1: False flags

Wakaoji: I have an exciting announcement for you today, class.
Class: What could it be?
Class: A transfer student?
Class: I hope it's a girl!
Wakaoji: That's... half right?
Boys: What's that supposed to mean? Spit it out, Waka-chan!
Wakaoji: Alright, alright. Everyone, we have a new friend in class today. Come on in!

Wakaoji: Go on, introduce yourself.
Komori: (inaudible whispering)
Class: Hey, speak up, we can't hear you.
Wakaoji: Alright, once more with feeling!
Komori: .....

Siren: (Is he just nervous?)
Wakaoji: "My name is Komori Taku. This is how you write it."
Komori: ......
Wakaoji: Ummm, any questions for him?

Girl A: I have a question! Do you have a girlfriend?
Komori: ......
Siren: (Oh boy...)
Wakaoji: "Well, I'm looking for a girlfriend and some good friends too!"
Wakaoji: Next question!
Girl B: What are your hobbies?
Komori: .......
Wakaoji: "I like picking fleas off of cats!"
Boy A: Speak for yourself, Waka-chan!
Wakaoji: Oh, sorry. Alright, that's enough questions for now--
Boy B: Hey, why haven't you said anything?

Girl A: He's kinda gloomy...
Komori: I, I...
Komori: Umm. Never mind.
Boy A: What's that supposed to mean?
Siren: (Komori-kun looks pretty scared... alright, I know what to do)
Option 1: I should tell everyone he's just nervous on his first day!
Option 2: I shouldn't butt in.

Our Siren's one to speak her mind, even if it gets her in trouble.

Siren: It's his first day, can you blame him for being nervous?
Wakaoji: She has a good point. Let's not rush Komori-kun into anything.
Wakaoji: Now, Komori-kun, you'll be sitting...
Siren: (I said what I could, I hope he can do alright from here.)

Fans of Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei will remember that Komori is a really common name for characters with crippling reclusiveness, thanks to the phenomenon known as Hikikomori. It's pretty easy to see which way Komori's story arc will go, and since it makes for really dull Let's Playing, we'll skip the rest of it after this.

10/4: Coffee from a beaker? Is that safe?

Siren: (Ugh, I hate being on cleanup duty after lab. Let's see, where do the glass slides go... ah, there they are)
???: Fudou-san?
Siren: Huh?
Siren: Ack!
Siren: Whew, I didn't drop anything. That was a close one...

Wakaoji: Good job.
Wakaoji: Are you alright?
Siren: Uh, I think I am.
Wakaoji: You surprised me.
Siren: (I don't think he realizes who surprised who...)
Wakaoji: I was brewing some coffee, care for a cup?

Siren: Sensei, do you always take your coffee like this?
Wakaoji: I do.
Siren: Umm, does it taste better that way or something?

Wakaoji: I don't really know. It most likely doesn't, though.
Siren: Then...
Wakaoji: I used to keep reminding myself that I should bring my coffee maker here.
Siren: Uh oh.
Wakaoji: And I don't know why, but by the next morning I would completely forget about it.
Wakaoji: In the end, I just gave up on the idea.
Siren: You just gave up.
Wakaoji: Exactly.
Siren: (Hahaha, there's no other way this story could have ended with him.)

10/16: A look at what could have been

Wakaoji: And that concludes our homeroom for the day!
Wakaoji: Oh! Wait a second. Could anyone deliver these worksheets to our absent Komori-kun?
Siren: (Oh yeah, we haven't seen Komori-kun since that first day, have we?)
Wakaoji: I would do it myself, but I have business tonight... oh dear.
Option 1: I can do it!
Option I'm pretty busy...

Siren: Want me to do it, Wakaoji-sensei?
Wakaoji: You're a lifesaver. Thank you. Let me find Komori-kun's address...
Siren: (Let's see... Hanegasaki district F. That's pretty close to my place, I think.)

Siren: (It should be around here somewhere -- there it is!)
Siren: (Room 302. There's no name plate, but this should be the right one. I'll just buzz on the intercom.)
Siren: (...)
Siren: (Is he not home?)
Komori: Hello?
Siren: Oh! My name's Fudou Siren, I'm one of Taku-kun's classmates at school.
Komori: Umm, what are you doing here?
Siren: Oh, is that you, Komori-kun? I brought you this week's worksheets.

Siren: Komori-kun! You don't look so hot, are you still sick?
Komori: Those worksheets. Um...
Siren: Here they are!
Komori: ...
Siren: Hmm?
Komori: ...Bye.
Siren: Uh, bye it is, then.
Siren: (I hope he's alright.)

As you can see, this isn't exactly the "draw the shut-in out of his shell" story isn't exactly full of scintillating dialogue. So it's time to drop this and get back to the main story.

10/23: Dodge duck dip dive and dodge

Wakaoji: Fudou-san?
Siren: Oh, hi Wakaoji-sensei!
Wakaoji: Thank you for delivering those worksheets. How was Komori-kun doing?
Siren: He still seemed pretty pale when I saw him...
Wakaoji: You saw him?
Siren: Only for a little bit, but yeah.
Wakaoji: To tell you the truth, I haven't seen hair or hide of him since his first day.
Siren: Really?
Wakaoji: I'm afraid that he doesn't trust me because I'm a teacher. But that doesn't mean I can simply give up on him.
Siren: Yeah!

Wakaoji: Fudou-san, could you stop by his place every so often on your way home from school? Just to try and talk to him?
Siren: What? I, I don't know...
Wakaoji: I see. Thank you anyway.

Sorry, Komori, but your crippling personal issues will sidetrack Siren's story significantly. So you'll have to be sacrificed on the altar of Chasing the Main Character in a Tokimemo Game.

10/26: Siren's birthday

Haruhi: Surpriiiiiise!
Siren: Ah! You scared me! What're you doing, Haruhi-chan?
Haruhi: Happy birthday! Here's your present!
Siren: Oh, wow, thanks!
Haruhi: It's my favorite gal's birthday, anythin' less would be uncivilized!
Haruhi: Anyway, seeya 'round!

Siren: (I wonder what she gave me?)
Siren: (A postcard of an angel!)
Siren: (Aww, she wrote a message on it too. "They told me this angel will bring ya nothin' but happiness and love!")
Siren: (I hope she's right!)

Haruhi's present gives +5 art and -5 stress, which is really handy when Siren's quietly been grinding her stats to Teru-worthiness.

Siren: Hello?
Masaki: Yo.
Siren: Oh, good evening, Masaki-senpai. What're you doing here?
Masaki: It's your birthday, isn't it?
Siren: It is. You remembered?
Masaki: I guess I did. And I guess that means you get this present, too.
Siren: Really? Thanks!

Masaki: Now, you're not allowed to say "I looked inside and saw nothing but disappointment," got it?
Masaki: Anyway, have a good night.
Siren: (I wonder what he got me?)
Siren: (A stuffed skullbear!)

Masaki's present gives +5 Social and -5 Stress, which is less useful than Haruhi's since Social is Siren's strongest stat. It's mechanically the same as Teru's present, which would have been a stuffed capybara.

Next time: Teru returns, fluffier than ever.

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Dec 15, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Komori's hair looks like it's trying to eat him.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Too busy posting on LJ to go to school, no doubt.

Does he have a different uniform from everyone else, too?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

Does he have a different uniform from everyone else, too?

It's uncommon but not unheard of for transfer students to wear their old uniforms for a day or two while they pick up the new uniform.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Tokimemo Girl's Side 2, Chapter 17: Okay, smarty, go to a party

11/10: The school festival

For the second year, Siren's class holds a discotheque in their classroom. I dunno why, but hey, at least it's more inventive than a cafe.

Siren: (I wonder what Haruhi-chan is up to?)
Haruhi: Yuh-huh, that class' okonomiyaki is the real stuff! And I'm an expert, so ya definitely can take my word for it!
Haruhi: So, what was your name again? Where were ya from?
Siren: (What? She's talking to a complete stranger? She makes friends so fast!)

Harry: Everything ready?
Harry: Got it, I'll be right there.
Siren: (Hmm? Is that Harry on his phone?)

Harry: 'Sup, Ren?
Siren: 'Sup, Harry? Where are you heading?
Harry: You wanna know? I bet you do. Listen close.
Harry: We're doing a secret show on the roof in a few minutes.
Siren: Whoa, seriously? Wait, what's the secret part mean?
Harry: Some people call them guerrilla concerts, too.
Siren: Huh?
Harry: If you can, make sure to come by and listen.
Harry: Later!
Siren: (I bet the teachers are gonna be really mad at them...)

Siren: (I just spotted Amachi-kun, what's he up to?)
Amachi: ...and that's the gym over there, and on the other side of it is the courtyard.
Amachi: Yeah, I agree, this school's traditionally pretty lax.
Siren: (It looks like he's taking a bunch of middle school students on a tour.)
Siren: (Huh, I didn't see him as the leading type.)

Siren: Welcome to the Young Prince Disco!
Siren: (It's about to get really crowded in here, I need to do a good job managing the dance floor!)
Wakaoji: Four new guests coming in!

Siren: Sensei! You brought more people in with you?
Wakaoji: Today, I'm not just a teacher, I'm a man in black.
Wakaoji: Well, I'm not actually wearing any black, but I'm acting like I am.
Wakaoji: Does that make any sense?
Siren: Uh... well, you seem to be having fun, at least!

Slight contextual note here: In Japan, men in black aren't secret agents, they're usually just staff of a restaurant or club or other... ahem "evening establishment" who wear black suits to add an air of class to the place.

Female student A: Waka-sama-sensei! Dance with us! Pleeeeeease?
Wakaoji: Actually, I'm not a very good dancer...
Female student B: Boooo, you promised us you would dance!
Wakaoji: Oh dear. I did promise, so I suppose it's time for your teacher to come down with a bit of the Saturday Afternoon Fever.
Female student A: Squeeeee!
Siren: (I think he protested a little bit too strongly there... well, back to work!)
Siren: (It's so packed in here. And they're all having a blast!)
Wakaoji: Fudou-san!
Siren: Wakaoji-sensei?
Wakaoji: I think we're all coming down with a bout of disco fever!
Siren: It's all thanks to you packing the house!
Wakaoji: No, no, not at all, it's because of our kind and lovely floor manager drawing all eyes to her.
Siren: (Wow, that's flattering!)
Siren: (The dance was a huge hit, and we had so much fun at the school festival!)

11/15: This post was delayed because I had to translate high school chemistry

Siren: (Science class is so tough...)
Wakaoji: Basically, a liquid crystal's particles during this mesophase appear well ordered from a certain angle.
Siren: (Uggghhhh, that's so complicated.)
Wakaoji: Incidentally, cholesteric liquid crystal extracted and processed from squids can be applied not in LCD televisions, but in thermometers--
Siren: (I'm getting sleepy...)

Wakaoji: Fudou-san.
Siren: What? Huh? Uh, yes!
Wakaoji: Were you listening to this lesson?
Siren: Uh... yes.
Wakaoji: Then you should be able to tell me exactly what kind of squid I like.
Siren: What? Uh, ummm, it's--
Wakaoji: Here's a hint, it's delicious when grilled.
Siren: The flying squid?
Wakaoji: Correct! Well done. You win this round.
Siren: (Yay? I guess?)

Thank you for not voting for Wakaoji, because translating advanced chemistry on a consistent basis would have made me just skip half of his scenes.

11/27: Remember Teru?

Teru: Ren.
Siren: Oh, hi Saeki-kun. Welcome to our shop.
Teru: My grandpa asked me to pick up an assortment of seasonal cut flowers. Do you have any ready?
Siren: Yeah, I just finished cutting them a little bit ago. Hold on a second.
Teru: Huh, you did all these yourself?
Teru: They look really good. They'll do.

11/30: Forget the secret character, though.

Wakaoji: I come bringing sad news, class.
Wakaoji: After his brief stay with us, Komori-kun has transferred out of school.
Siren: (Oh, I almost forgot about him!)
Wakaoji: Komori-kun made life fairly tough on himself, but I don't think that was entirely by choice.
Wakaoji: Of course, change comes from within, but I don't think he knew quite where to start.
Wakaoji: And sometimes you can't get a good start, no matter how hard you try.
Wakaoji: What should people do in that situation?
Wakaoji: He was with us for such a short time, but I will always remember Komori-kun.
Siren: (He never showed up to class, and then he transferred out...)

Siren's observation makes Wakaoji's soliloquy extra-weird, since Wakaoji is pretty much the only person in class who had any real interaction with Komori in this run. Oh well, not our problem anymore, no matter how much the game tries to guild trip us!

12/1: Masaki's memories

Siren: (Time to head home.)
Masaki: Whoa, Ren?
Siren: Masaki-senpai, what're you doing here?
Masaki: I'm here for work. I need to deliver these flowers to the chairman's office.
Siren: Oh, okay.
Masaki: Are you heading home?
Siren: Yeah, I was just about to head out.
Masaki: If you wait for a second, I can give you a ride home.
Siren: What? No, you shouldn't--
Masaki: You're already on my way back, it's fine. I'll be right back.
Masaki: Wait, is that your classroom?
Siren: Yup.

Masaki giving Siren a ride is so much more normal than Girls Side 1's version of the same thing that it's comical.

Masaki: Sorry I took so long.
Siren: Are you done for the day?
Masaki: Yeah.
Masaki: Oh, man, I came at the right time. Look at that sunset.
Siren: Yeah, it really is pretty.
Masaki: Being in this classroom really brings me back.
Masaki: This used to be my desk, you know.
Masaki: I used my chisel from art class to carve a little hole right here, and then crammed it with eraser shavings.
Siren: Wow, I never noticed that.
Masaki: ...Man, when I look at this I think of how pointless it really is, but the memory makes me smile anyway.
Masaki: You need to make sure you have some memories like that before you're out of school.
Siren: ...I'll try.
Masaki: Ahhhh, I wish I could go back to those days.
Siren: To high school?
Masaki: Yeah. It would've been nice to see you with the eyes of a classmate, you know?
Masaki: I wonder what that would've been like. It's pretty hard for me to imagine.
Siren: Masaki-senpai?
Masaki: Enough talking about what-ifs, though. Things aren't bad the way they are now.
Masaki: If I was your classmate, I wouldn't be able to give you a ride home, and that's just too convenient.
Siren: Haha, true.
Masaki: We should get out of here before the sun goes down.
Siren: Yessir!

Masaki, you are a cool guy with a cool outlook on life. Sadly, the "cool college dude with a mature perspective" is boring for an LP.

12/3-12/7: Midterms

1st: Fudou Siren
3rd: Hikami Itaru
11th: Saeki Teru
13th: Onoda Chiyomi
223rd: Nishimoto Haruhi
276th: Hariya Kounoshin

Oh, right. This is what happens when Siren decides to focus on stats rather than hanging out with Haruhi.

Siren: I took the top spot! It feels nice to take first place!
Wakaoji: Oh look, it's the head of the class.
Siren: Wakaoji-sensei!
Wakaoji: Congratulations. I am very proud to be your teacher.
Siren: I couldn't have done it without your help, Wakaoji-sensei.
Siren: (All of my work paid off!)

12/19: Harry's birthday

Option 1: A wallet chain
Option 2: My First Cleaning Kit
Option 3: A toy microphone

Well, we have the Edgy option, the Insulting option, and the goofy option. We'll stick with the one that lets him keep pretending that he's a punk rocker.

Siren: Harry!
Harry: Hey. Sup?
Siren: Happy birthday!
Harry: Hey, you remembered!
Harry: Then again, it is MY birthday, after all. You probably couldn't forget it if you tried.
Siren: Are you ever gonna open it?
Harry: Oh, wow, I had my eye on this. You're amazing!

12/23: Skating with Teru

It's worth noting that Siren's wardrobe is starting to make a recovery after the Great Yukata Purge of 2006, but that really doesn't excuse going ice skating wearing a coat over a sleeveless blouse and shorts.

Teru: I hope you're ready for this. If you can't keep up, I'm just gonna leave you behind.
Teru: Are you any good at skating?
Option 1: I can take care of myself on the ice!
Option 2: I'm around average, I guess.
Option 3: Could you teach me how?

Teru has never been one for coddling, so it's time to appeal to his natural contrariness.

Siren: I can take care of myself on the ice!
Teru: Not bad. Cocky, but not bad. Fine, let's time you.
Siren: (Not bad!)

12/24: The Christmas party

Yes, this is the same dress as last year. But this year Siren will wear a flower in her hair, which means no one will notice. Just... just trust me on this one.

Haruhi's dialogue is the exact same as year 1. I'm pasting it here for reference.

Haruhi: REN~! Merry Christmas!
Siren: Merry Christmas, Haruhi-chan.
Haruhi: Wowwww, you're lookin' so cute today! That dress is amazin'!
Siren: You think so?
Haruhi: Soooo, why you lookin' all sexy and dolled up, huh? You minx you!
Haruhi: But to be honest with ya, I'm super jealous right now. I want a dress like that too.
Haruhi: Lemme know where ya bought it, okay?
Haruhi: Uh oh, I gotta go say hi before it's too late. Seeya!
Siren: (It feels like a storm just passed through every time I talk to her.)
Siren: (But I'm really happy she complimented my dress!)

Wakaoji: Merry Christmas, Fudou-san.
Siren: Hi, Wakaoji-sensei! Merry Christmas!
Wakaoji: I'm glad to see that you're enjoying the party.
Wakaoji: You're quite well dressed today. You look great.
Siren: Thanks! You look great in your suit too, Sensei.
Wakaoji: Once more, and louder this time please.
Siren: What? Uh, you look great.
Wakaoji: Thank you. I dressed up quite a bit more than usual myself.
Wakaoji: And now, I must go and act like an adult for a while.

Siren: Hey, Saeki-kun! Merry Christmas!
Teru: Merry Christmas. You don't have to shout my name like that.
Siren: Oh yeah, sorry!
Teru: You're wearing a dress.
Siren: So I am, I hadn't noticed. What do you think of it?
Teru: What? Uhh, well... it might or might not... look kinda not-bad on you.
Siren: Which is it?
Teru: ...You look good.
Teru: Anyway, see you soon. Don't stuff your face too hard!
Siren: (Saeki-kun slipped back into his public face pretty quickly. I shouldn't be surprised, with so many people around.)

Harry: Yo. Did you get a great present from Santa or something?
Siren: Hey, Harry. Haha, what do you think?
Harry: Don't know, don't care!
Harry: Anyway, I do pray that something good does happen to you. You should thank me for it.

Siren: It's time for the gift exchange! I wonder whose present will come by? I hope it's Saeki-kun's.
Santa: Ho ho ho! Here's your present for the year!
Siren: (It's a mermaid keychain.)
Siren: (It's so pretty that I might hate to use it.)

Siren: Oh, hi Saeki-kun.
Teru: You got a good one. I should know, I brought it.
Siren: Really?! Oh, and you're holding the present I brought.

Teru: Well, that ended up being a waste of effort.
Teru: We could've just given these right to each other.
Siren: Haha, you might be right!
Teru: Oh, this gift is pretty nice, actually. Kinda like it was meant for me.
Teru: Thanks. I made out pretty well this year.
Siren: (Awesome, I picked a great present!)

Next time: The home stretch.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I'm pretty sure it's been internationally recognized since the 70s that "Men in black" are bass-baritone voiced country singers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

Masaki giving Siren a ride is so much more normal than Girls Side 1's version of the same thing that it's comical.
why did you have to bring that up

• Locked thread