Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.

Galick posted:

:catstare: WHY DIDN'T WE VOTE FOR HER. Holy poo poo that is the best possible match.

I told you we should have gone for science. :allears:

e: Any chance we could get alternate dialogue for different ways of meeting characters? Since for most characters, you can meet them in both a club and through a high stat. (Or that random Christmas party thing you mentioned.)

Queen Fiona fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Dec 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Does the Konami Code do anything in this game?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
That month before summer vacation took way longer to dissect than expected. Continuing this LP later on Friday PST, with an actual CYOA portion at the end. The Yuina introduction/birthday/date post is updated and complete.

I'll make sure to take the girl's thumbnails off of minus before I go to sleep, though.

e:

sincx posted:

Does the Konami Code do anything in this game?

Yes. It's used in the karaoke date location. I can show you later. I think it's also used if you join the Computer Club, but that ship has sailed for now.

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Dec 6, 2013

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.
...are any of the girls even half as weird as Yuina? If they are, we could be in for a much more interesting game than I thought.

I suppose there's...that one character you conspicuously didn't list in the opening post. Just being forgetful, or...?

But this is already exceeding my wildest expectations. :allears: Apparently Yuina is actually even crazier than what my childhood self made up. Who knew?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Queen Fiona posted:

...are any of the girls even half as weird as Yuina? If they are, we could be in for a much more interesting game than I thought.

Ayako and Yumi both have their moments. Even Shiori has some, as you'll see at summer camp.

quote:

I suppose there's...that one character you conspicuously didn't list in the opening post. Just being forgetful, or...?

Keep looking for her in the background. When I find her, I'll mention her. It's a really drat boring playthrough, just like Ijuuin.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Question: What the gently caress is that thing on her breast? Is she a cyborg? :awesomelon:

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

Ayako and Yumi both have their moments. Even Shiori has some, as you'll see at summer camp.

Shiori? That's one I didn't expect, given how I was under the impression she was the boring kind of perfect. The other character I ran into a lot was Yuko, but she's kind of a wildcard just from second-hand stuff, so I'm not sure what to expect there. (We probably won't run into her this playthrough, I'm guessing, based on how things are going.)

Ratoslov posted:

Question: What the gently caress is that thing on her breast? Is she a cyborg? :awesomelon:

She's a mad scientist, she just...has this stuff. Among other things. I know for a fact that this is just the beginning, and we're talking just the stuff that isn't dialogue-related. She was basically made to be LPed. :allears:

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Can we... like, have a side-story about Alternate Universee Goonpei's adventures in dating Batshit Crazy Lady? Because I'd like that.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
All you people, aiming for perfection, when we could have done SCIENCE! :sigh:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Sacrifices have to be made in the search for perfection. :colbert:

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Ratoslov posted:

Can we... like, have a side-story about Alternate Universee Goonpei's adventures in dating Batshit Crazy Lady? Because I'd like that.

This makes a perfect lead-in to the next CYOA poll!

No plan survives first contact with the enemy, and it seems like you goons are :allears: for Yuina. I am not going to change the plan out of nowhere. But I can definitely modify things a bit, possibly at the cost of time and progression.

I have three ways that I can address this.

A) We've only met two girls so far, and we're wavering already? Show some spine and stick to the original plan! There are 9* more girls to meet, can we at least meet some of them before we make a decision?

B) Modify the current run slightly to make friends with Yuina. We finish Shiori's route as planned and go straight through to Tokimeki Memorial 2, where we can vote again and stuff the ballot in favor of :science:

C) Do a second, less detailed playthrough with Yuina after Shiori's path is done. Note that this will delay progress through the series (including side stories) by at least a month.

Yuina's successor Mei awaits in Tokimeki Memorial 2's :science: route, peasants.

I'm going to go longer than usual with this poll since there is more content coming tonight - voting closes at midnight Pacific time Saturday, December 7th

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 6, 2013

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

B

No girl is going to be as good as Yuina.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

vibratingsheep posted:

Yuina's successor Mei awaits in Tokimeki Memorial 2's :science: route, peasants.

Looks like a better idea to me. Go for B.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

B.

A isn't showing some spine, it's taking the easy way out. We're going to make Goon some friends whether he likes it or not.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

B

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Comedy vote for A.

JimTheEternal
Mar 5, 2002
Stick to the plan

I wanted difficulty, not waffling! Shiori is your one true pairing, don't lose sight of your goal! Being friends with people is fine, but remember your destiny, Goon!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Goon's losing track of the plan! Somebody fax him the plan.

That said, I am no less :allears: for Yuina, so I have to vote B.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
B.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
B please!

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

A

One girl in and we're changing our plans? Goons are too easily seduced.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
Guys, we're being offered cake and the chance to eat it! C keeps us both with the plan and lets us see Yuina's romantic options.

(Unless C means you're not going to keep up with Yuina in this route because I'm really voting for Super Nintendo Hard.)

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

In the C option, I don't plan on any more or less time with Yuina than is normal on another girl's playthrough. So no special events, with occasional dialogue until it's time to play the :science: route of TokiMemo 1.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

It could never be anything else but C. :allears:

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
There's no other choice but C.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
C

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
These B votes are really confusing. If you like Yuina C is the obvious choice.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Gonna have to go with C.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
A. Seriously guys, we've met two goddamn characters, I'm sure the other 9 or whatever each have their own special brand of crazy.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
C

Look at her. She is glorious. There is no other option. :catbert:

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Nooooo, what are you guys doing?! Let's not spend an extra MONTH on the first game of the series when there are so many arguably more interesting sequels.

I'm sure there are more future Fry's sales associates yall can drool over in the sequels.

edit: vibratingsheep, if it takes a month to go through a girl, and you're going to go through the entire series, are you really setting yourself up for a multi-year LP?

sincx fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 7, 2013

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

sincx posted:

edit: vibratingsheep, if it takes a month to go through a girl, and you're going to go through the entire series, are you really setting yourself up for a multi-year LP?

An actual playthrough of the game only takes 5-10 hours, adding about 15 minutes every time you have to reload. It's the translation work, research into the '90s, and screenshot capturing/management that takes a while.

Once all of the cultural details and such are out of the way, I can just refer to those in future playthroughs, shortening the time to go through TM2 and TM4 considerably. TM3 I intend to spend as little time as possible playing, and I intend to spend that time explaining the many flaws that killed the series for the better part of a decade.

I could probably work the translation portion a lot faster, but Yuina's speech patterns are so different from the norm that I wanted to make sure the English translation captured as many of the nuances as possible.

edit: I just realized that you were talking as if I was going to go through every route and translate it. Um... no, 1-2 girls per game is my limit, I think. I have Metal Wolf Chaos to get to!

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 7, 2013

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Queen Fiona posted:

It could never be anything else but C. :allears:

Queen Fiona, who is the character in your avatar?

And B. We must keep our eyes on the goal, but you should never turn down the chance for more :science:!

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Ehhhh A. Supermaaaan!

Metal Sonichu
May 18, 2013
A. You can totally juggle 9 girls at once.

cyxx
Oct 1, 2005

Byon!
I'm still backing A

Shiori is willing to count sheep for us to help us fall asleep. We must stay strong and not fall into temptation of a scientific kind.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Sindai posted:

These B votes are really confusing.

I could say the same for the C votes. It's like you guys want to make things easier for Goon.

Remember, the more friends he makes, the more time management sheep has to do. Picking C just means we'll be focusing on raising stats for Shiori.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

edit: I just realized that you were talking as if I was going to go through every route and translate it. Um... no, 1-2 girls per game is my limit, I think. I have Metal Wolf Chaos to get to!

First Tokimemo, now Metal Wolf Chaos? I think you might be my new favorite RPer. :allears:

How much voice acting is there in this entry? Is it just the little sequence with Shiori? I know there was an SNES port which had (obviously) no voice acting, but I have no idea how much voicework there is in the CD-based ports. A video (or a link to someone else's) showing off the various characters' voice acting would be a nice bonus, if there's a decent amount of it.

AfroSquirrel posted:

Queen Fiona, who is the character in your avatar?

And B. We must keep our eyes on the goal, but you should never turn down the chance for more :science:!

It's a...radical reimagining, shall we say, of Vocaloid mascot Kagamine Rin. There's a series of freely available 3D models for Rin and two other Vocaloids in this style, which effectively makes them look like they were built by...well...Aperture Science. The specific model here is called 'Phosphorescent Rin'. (If you have any sanity or dignity, you understood no part of this paragraph, and probably didn't search for that model either.)

As for the vote, I'll admit, this is entirely a fangirl moment for me. Shiori always really bored me conceptually, while my bizarrely fixated teenage self probably finished the game with Yuina about a half-dozen times. It's possible, as mentioned, that the other girls also have plenty of crazy, but knowing what I do about anime stereotypes and this sort of game in general, I have my doubts anyone else would be as entertaining for vibratingsheep's goony audience. :science:

On a somewhat related note to that, they made a Tokimeki Memorial OVA based on the first game. Since as a rule your main character in OVAs like these isn't allowed to have a personality and decent animation is expensive, it's about the most boring thing you could possibly imagine. (Much like the Salamander OVA a few years prior.) It focuses primarily on Shiori, with I think a little side thing on Yuko and a fairly small amount of time on everyone else. Yuina here gets a very, very short cameo. (These sorts of games aren't really fun when you take them seriously, honestly.) There's other Tokimemo anime as well, but I haven't seen those and we can get to them when they're more relevant.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Queen Fiona posted:

How much voice acting is there in this entry? Is it just the little sequence with Shiori? I know there was an SNES port which had (obviously) no voice acting, but I have no idea how much voicework there is in the CD-based ports. A video (or a link to someone else's) showing off the various characters' voice acting would be a nice bonus, if there's a decent amount of it.

Every one of the girls' lines is voiced, except for the parts where they say Goon's name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Chapter 4: Summer 1995, Part 2 - These Six Times at Band Camp

That was a strange little diversion. But time and high school stop for no man, and we march on!

7/24-7/29: Exercise

Goon: Summer vacation starts tomorrow!

Summer vacation in Japanese schools is mercilessly short. It's six weeks long, and in-game, one of those weeks is a compulsory club activity. Two things make summer vacation incredibly precious to us: one, since we're not in school, we won't meet anyone for building stats; two, activities during summer vacation are two to three times more effective than regular schooldays for building stats. Our Sports stat has slipped to 25 with all the studying we're doing, but with just these few weeks of work, we can climb up a huge amount in a short time.

7/30 (Sunday): Call Shiori

This is the last possible day to call Shiori and invite her to Ennichi. Seize the day! Ready the reload button!

There are a few date spots that are only available during the summer. They include going to the ocean and going to the public swimming pool. On Ennichi and on New Year's Day, you can also invite people to go to the local shrine.

(the formalities have been skipped since they are the same as last time)
Goon: Want to go to the shrine on 8/6?
Shiori: Let me check... yes, that's fine.
Goon: Alright, let's meet in front of the shrine on that day.
Shiori: Yes, let's. Don't forget, okay?
Goon: No way will I forget. Okay, talk to you later.
(click)
Goon: Yes! I can't wait for the 6th.

7/31-8/5: Preen
8/6 (Sunday): Date with Shiori

Goon: Have you been waiting long?
Shiori: No, I just got here myself.
Goon: Phew, glad I wasn't late.
Shiori: It's so lively around here!

Yukata are amusing to me. While they're now considered to be fancy-yet-light summer wear, the style comes from bathrobes and towels used by nobility a thousand years ago. The kanji literally mean "bathing clothes". Hurray for fashion!

Option 1: Praise her yukata
Option 2: Eh, no need to praise her yukata

Gee. What should we do.

Goon: That yukata really suits you. You look cute!
Shiori: Th, thanks. I'm happy to hear it.

There it is, the bright red blush of one of the most popular 2D girls in Japan. We're going to have to get used to her making this face pretty soon.

Goon: Okay, let's get started! Want to go goldfish scooping?

Hurray for Mini-games!

Goldfish scooping is a very traditional Japanese festival game. Imagine a kiddie pool filled with goldfish, where you score points by scooping them up and putting them in a bowl/bucket. The catch is that instead of something useful like a net or a big cup, you're supposed to catch them with an oversized bubble blower covered with paper. The paper is a little stronger than you'd think, but you have to stop as soon as it breaks. To do well, you have to make quick, darting movements into the water, and you also have to make sure that you catch the fish as close to the edge of your scooper as possible to keep the paper strong. At the end, you can pick one of the goldfish you caught and they'll give it to you in a little baggie to take home. Alternately, you can put them all back like a true sportsman.

For reference, my personal record is 23 fish. I didn't keep any of them.

Use the d-pad to move your scoop.
Press the Circle button to put your scoop in the water.
Release the Circle button to lift the goldfish out of the water!

It's been at least a decade since I played this mini-game, and I forgot that the mini-game adheres to video game physics and not real-world physics. Instead of dip, move, scoop, you can pretty much catch fish by putting your scoop directly over them and pressing Circle.

Old man: Didn't catch any? Here, you can have one to take home.

At this time, I would like to repeat that my personal record is 23. In real life, I would not have needed this old man's pity.

Goon: Here, Shiori, I want you to have it.
Shiori: Thank you so much!
Shiori: Today was a lot of fun. We should do this again some time, okay?
Goon: Definitely. I'll call you again some time.
Shiori: We should head home, Gunpei-kun.

Shiori will back me up on this. I just had a bad day today, but I could get 23 if I tried again. I just want to keep moving instead of reloading to do a mini-game. :words:

8/7-8/12: Preen
8/13 (Sunday): Study lit

8/14-8/19: Summer camp!

Goon: (Here I am at camp.)

For the most part, TokiMemo summer camp just forces us to participate in club activities for a week. But...

8/15: Event!

Shiori: Oh, Gunpei-kun! How's the band treating you?
Goon: Well, it's nice to be part of the band, but I don't even know where I should start...
Shiori: For starters, make sure you learn how to read music, okay?
Goon: Read music, eh...
Shiori: Good luck in your studies!

...it's a forced participation in club activities that also lets us talk to whichever girl is in our club. There are some events that we can only see if we're in the right club with the right girl.

8/19: Event!

Goon: (Whew... the last night of summer camp.)
(The sound of running water)
Goon: (Wha?! It looks like there's someone in the showers!)

Option 1: Jackpot! Time to peek.
Option 2: Let's not...

The spirit of Porky's lives! Choosing to peek leads to the following choices:

Goon: (Which one should I peek through?)
Option 1: Peek in the left window.
Option 2: Peek in the middle window.
Option 3: Peek in the right window.

Alright. Let's pick the left window for now. What could possibly go wrong?

Goon: #%&$^*#%!#@$%$@%&
Man: Hey there. Care to join us?
Goon: N...no thanks.
Goon: (That was awful...)

The contents of each window are randomized, again to prevent save scumming. If we peek and see the musclemen, our stress goes up by 12. Welp.

RELOAD COUNT: 2

8/14-8/19: Summer camp! (see above)
8/15: Event! (see above)

8/16: New Event!

Goon: Uggggghhhhh, my stomach...
Goon: (Everyone in the club has collapsed, too. Is it food poisoning?)

Shiori: This is all happening because I was careless. I'm so sorry!
Goon: (Shiori was in charge of making breakfast this morning, wasn't she?)
Shiori: I'm so sorry. I'm so so sorry!
Goon: (We can't even try to practice today. It hurts so much...!)
Game: By the next day, everyone had miraculously recovered.

Goon: (Alright, we can start practicing again. Shiori seems to have gotten a hold of herself, too.)

And with that, it's back to band practiWHERE DID ALL OF OUR HEALTH GO?

Sweet monkey Jesus, woman, that event gave us -35 Stamina! What did you put in those eggs?!

8/19: Porky's II

Goon: Jackpot! Today is the greatest day of my life.
Girl: EEK! A Peeping Tom!
(Splash!)
Goon: (Crap. I was so happy that I said that out loud.)

That's nice for you, Goon, but this version of summer camp has been a disaster.

RELOAD COUNT: 3

8/19: Porky's Revenge!

RELOAD COUNT: 4

8/19: Live Free or Porky's

Goon: What the hell is this? Who decorated this place?
Goon: Is this the Ijuuin's bath?
Goon: I just can't understand how rich people think.

Well at least there was no change in stress. Time to move on!

Ah, who're we kidding. Goon, enjoy your youth while you can for the sake of us old folk.

RELOAD COUNT: 5

8/19: A Good Day to Porky's

:f5:

RELOAD COUNT: 6

8/19: Episode VI: Return of the Porky's

Goon: Jackpot! Today is the greatest day of my life.
Girl: EEK! A Peeping Tom!
(Splash!)
Goon: (Crap. I was so happy that I said that out loud.)

Honestly, the best option at the end of summer camp is to avoid peeking on anyone and just go home. But I wanted to show everyone what happens, and how much Konami discourages people from save scumming things like summer camp.

8/20 (Sunday): Time to check the latest issue of Memorial Spot!

Memorial Spot September/October/November
The museum is open!
Current movie playing: "Forres and Gump" (romance)
Concert: Chage and Asu (rock) (Based on Chage and Aska)
Events: The works of a famous painter are on display at the museum.

Goon: (A museum, eh?)

The Konami ad is Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu, an arcade-style baseball game that was new as of the publishing of TokiMemo, and is now approaching its 20th installment.

8/20 (Sunday): Sleep
8/21-8/26: Exercise
8/27 (Sunday): Study lit
8/28-9/2: Exercise

8/31: Special notification

Goon: (The new semester starts tomorrow.)

I forgot to mention this, but the music changes along with the background color every season.

9/3 (Sunday): Call Shiori

Shiori likes romances, so let's go see Forres and Gump, which is totally not Forrest Gump.

(pleasantries)
Goon: Want to go to the theater on 10/1?
Shiori: Let me check... I'm sorry, I'm busy that day. I wish I could go, but...
Goon: D, don't worry about it. I don't mind.
Shiori: We'll try and make it work next time, okay?

First she poisons our stomachs, and now she poisons our hearts... she is a cruel mistress indeed.

RELOAD COUNT: 7

9/3 (Sunday) Call Shiori

(pleasantries)
Goon: Want to go to the theater on 10/1?
Shiori: Let me check... I'm sorry, I'm busy that day. I wish I could go, but...
Goon: D, don't worry about it. I don't mind.
Shiori: We'll try and make it work next time, okay?

It was worth a shot.

RELOAD COUNT: 8

9/3 (Sunday): Study Lit
9/4-9/9: Sleep
9/10 (Sunday): Call Shiori

(formalities)
Goon: Want to go to the theater on 10/8?
Shiori: Let me check... yes, that's fine.
Goon: Alright, let's meet in front of the theater on that day.
Shiori: Yes, let's. Don't forget, okay?
Goon: No way will I forget. Okay, talk to you later.
(click)
Goon: Yes! I can't wait for the 8th.

It's the home stretch of 1995, and this is a good time to check on Goon's stats!

Goon's stats as of September 10th, 1994:

Stamina 65 | Lit 78 | Science 71
Art 80 | Sports 72 | General Knowledge 54
Looks 65 | Guts 25 | Stress 6

Things are progressing well. Quite well. Summer was very good to our stats, with a whopping +50 to Sports. It looks like this fall, we'll be meeting Nijino Saki because the Concert Band will raise Guts above her threshold. We should also prepare for the Ijuuin Christmas Party.

Next time: Fall semester, Christmas, and New Year's!

In case you missed it, the current poll is what to do about Yuina:

A) Stick to the original plan! There are 9* more girls to meet, let's meet more of them instead of getting distracted!

B) Modify the plan slightly to make friends with Yuina. We finish Shiori's route as planned and go straight through to Tokimeki Memorial 2, where we can vote again and stuff the ballot in favor of :science:

C) Do a second, less detailed playthrough with Yuina after Shiori's path is done. Note that this will delay progress through the series by at least a month, based on how difficult it is for me to translate Yuina.

The poll closes at Midnight Pacific time on Saturday, December 7th. I'll be at EA's holiday party and probably pretty drunk at that point, so you can probably sneak in some votes until the morning of the 8th without me noticing.

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 7, 2013

• Locked thread