Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

A, because I like science and am not a masochist.

Mordecai posted:

Oh, interesting. I've heard a lot about this series but nobody ever translated it. I'll vote for B) Arts.

The first TokiMemo Girl's Side DS game is fantranslated, but it'll have entirely different romantic archetypes because it's for ~gurls~.

Speaking of otome (i.e. girl) games, if you want to experience one starring pigeons go check out the Hatoful Boyfriend LP. It even has analysis of "normal" otome game archetypes, so you can understand why bird boyfriends are so drat funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

I love the cultural notes you give. Even when you consume a lot of a culture's media you're stuck with this sort of sanitized view of how things work, so it's nice to learn some of what Japan is actually like.

As a side question, most Japanese are surveyed as being areligious. When they go to shrines do they actually expect any result from their prayers or is it just a purely social-ritual thing?

EDIT: Same thing with ghost stories. In Japanese media people seem to universally believe in stuff like that, which seems very odd given their religious views.

Gyre fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 9, 2013

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Quote is not edit.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

I'm glad we'll be doing Yuina, Shiori is honestly a little bit grating with how utterly perfect you have to be at everything. You can't even be bad at ice-skating, for chrissakes.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Schubalts posted:

This is amazing, it feels like the beginning of Wolfguy, but with fabulous instead of smug. :swoon:

It's a great series, the entire thing is like those pages but it never gets boring.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Six Of Spades posted:

Oh my god, what manga is this?

Sakamoto desu ga?

E: f;b

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

vibratingsheep posted:

And, spoiler tags off since we're past Tokimemo 1, Rei also tells you that there's a rule in the Ijuuin house where the girls have to live as men until they graduate high school.

I've noticed the "girls have to live as boys" thing in a lot of anime, is there any historical basis? I know in some cultures women will act as men if there aren't any male heirs.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

If you're a nerd and want to know why EVSing Goon was so complicated, read on! (Disclaimer: I'm only a ling major, go get a professor if you want 100% certainty.)

Japanese uses what we call morae (single mora) instead of syllables. That means you divide words like this:

Gu-n-da-m(u), sa-mu-ra-i, To-o-kyo-o, Ni-p-po-n

instead of

Gun-dam, sa-mu-rai, To-kyo, Ni-pon

Vowels next to each other are separate morae; when they're two of the same vowel they form a long vowel divided between the morae. If a consonant is before another consonant or ends the word, they're another morae. The only final consonants allowed are n* and any consonant that would form a double consonant (Nippon but not Nikpon).

So when we input Goon's name, we have to figure out if it's

Gu-n

or

Gu-u-n

VibratingSheep rightly went with Gu-u-n because in American English the u sound is a long sound 99% of the time, even though we don't distinguish long sounds in English anymore.

The next question is the stress on Goon's name. Now in Japanese, there isn't stress as we conceive of in English, where a part of the word is louder, longer, and higher than other parts. Instead stress in Japanese is conceived of as a pitch accent, and is used to distinguish words for each other. The accented mora of a word has the highest pitch and thus sounds the most like stress to Anglophones.

Here's an example of one word that changes due to pitch: hashi (caps=highest pitch).

HA-shi (chopsticks)
ha-SHI (bridge)
ha-shi ("no accent" - edge)

Now for Goon's name there were three choices:

GU-u-n (start high, then drop)
gu-U-N (start low, go highish - this is closest to "no accent" for a Japanese speaker)
gu-U-n (low-high-low)

Sheep initially went with the first one, but the low pitch at the end messes with our ears. To an English speaker a word like goon sounds especially drawn out because: 1) the u and n assimilate (bleed into) each other and 2) n can be drawn out on its own. Try to actually listen when you say the word goon and you'll find a good chunk of what sounds like a vowel is the n being drawn out. Sheep tried to work this in using nu at the end, but it failed.

The pitch drops hard after a first-mora pitch accent in Japanese. In our Anglophone brains sudden pitch drop = lack of stress = short mumbly syllable, so GU-u-n sounds horribly clipped to us in comparison to how it should be. This is probably exacerbated by Japanese u actually being a different sound than English u; they don't round their lips. I'm not sure how Gu-U-n would sound, honestly, but probably a bit short, too. Even though we don't tend to raise our pitch over a word, gu-U-N sounds closest to us because it sounds the most stressed and thus longest.

Phew!

*Actually not really an n but let's not get too complicated.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

My theory is that since Miho A is checking fortunes for each date, sometimes when she gets a bad one she sends Miho B instead of flaking out. After all, it's not like you can tell, right? Right?

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

B-ho, because I'd rather have death glares than listen to how fortune telling is "OMG so totally real".

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

The English definition is actually a drug that calms people. :eng101: The Japanese term is indeed a photo though. You give the thing to an old man, right? If so, then both definitions could work! :v:

It's a term for a photo because silver bromide and related chemicals are highly photosensitive, and thus are (were?) used in camera films.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Coolguye posted:

That's the natural voice of a lot of female Japanese teenagers, though anime intensifies the energetic squeakiness of it a bit. Japanese doesn't have the emphasis on a some of the more throaty and dark-sounding sounds that English does (the 'r' sound in warship is a perfect example of a really dark sound that is very uncommon in Japanese), so the accent tends away from chest rumbles that Americans are used to, and culturally associate with calmness. Consequently, even a normally voiced Japanese girl can sound to Americans like she's mainlining caffeine, and any artistic exaggeration makes it sound like she's scoffing at how wussy that caffeine poo poo is and breaking out the cocaine.

I don't think this is the case, because there's evidence that Japanese men and women tend to speak at more extreme pitches than English speakers–lower for men and higher for women (see here and here). It's more a social thing than anything, I think.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Fang Blade Havoc posted:

I'm checking this out a bit and it looks fine but like... I was not aware that the PSP version also has 3D models, and even though they're well done it gives me the willies. I don't want anime boys to be blinking at me and tilting their heads around while I play dressup and grind stats, it's weird. (especially when there's a 3D modeled character talking to a 2D artifact character from the first game, geez) I think I'll just stick to the DS version, I probably get more out of it only-mostly understanding what's going on anyway.

I really like the 3D models, because they feel more lively. I'm more annoyed that even on the PSP the EVS system is still paltry.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

Does it at least let you generate, store and use the soundbytes for everyone at the same time?

Yes, but it's still annoying that there's only a limited amount of names that it works with, despite there being more space on a UMD to add some.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Essentially, yes, tho they recorded a lot more than 10 names. http://www29.atwiki.jp/3rd_story/pages/47.html lists every single last and first name you can use without issue in the original GS3, and from what I see it's unchanged in the PSP port.

If you compare the sound quality on PSP vs the DS it's certainly better, tho.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Nope, you decide what to call them just like in the main TM games. What they call you is tied to their affection level, though, so it doesn't feel too disparate.

Honestly, the EVS system takes a lot of work to produce and also takes computing power/space to use, so it's actually far easier to record a bunch of common names than to try to make it work on low power systems like the DS and PSP. The original TMGS1 and 2 were on the PS2 and had full EVS, but they didn't even try to implement it in the DS ports.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

vibratingsheep posted:

Who bandages their hair?!

Honestly? I've had minor scalp surgery and they don't cut away most of your hair, so the bandages look kinda funny.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Catalina posted:

ETA: (I was testing in Girl's Side, and found out that the default "no date clothes" clothes actually counts as a an outfit to wear to a date as long as you don't buy "regular" clothes, and doesn't seem to have a negative affect on affection. So you'd probably be able to wear them, and buy all of the special clothes in one year. All of my fun is ruined!)

But then that game's Hanatsubaki won't compliment you on your fashion sense, and that's just a tragedy.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Reverend Cheddar posted:

Actually in Japanese that's the little known haatomaku sound, basically it's like a lovable guttural fart from the back of the throat. This is not true.

I actually tried to make that sound.

It sounds like you're choking on a duck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

Don't take the pharyngeal fricative lightly. It's just as legitimate a consonant as the velar stop or the retroflex approximant. :colbert:

He said lovable fart, so I improvised. It was more like a voiceless uvular fricative, except absolutely horrifying.

• Locked thread