Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.
Oh man, I spent way too much time on this game as a kid. Mind you, I didn't know any Japanese (still don't!), so I just made up all the dialogue for the characters based on what online shrines said about the characters and what seemed to be going on on the screen! From what little English TokiMemo knowledge I got, this...wasn't really as far off as you might think.

...yeah, I was a weird kid :v: But in honor of this misspent youth, I'm contractually obligated to vote A due to wanting to know what my favorite character actually says! :science: (Naturally, she's also ridiculously unpopular in Japan, but I'm used to that.)

I also think you need a better method of resizing the screenshots! The ones you resized currently are hella distorted. They're also full of JPEG artifacts, so you should probably consider PNG instead! I think the translation you're doing is great work and this game is definitely worthy of the LP treatment, so I'd hate to see that hard work marred by poor visuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.
Well, you're in luck! Shiori is the closest thing to a platonic ideal of Japanese anime waifudom there could possibly be in the history of video gaming and visual novels in general. (I'm sure there's someone else more perfect-er out there, but that'd require me to admit I know far more about this stuff than any sane human being should.) She's also just as hard-to-get as advertised, if not moreso; certainly I never managed it while I was playing.

...this also means she's incredibly boring, but Japan's ideal of womanhood would appear to be someone who is perfect yet not too outspoken or ambitious, as Shiori never seems to do much of anything interesting despite supposedly being multitalented and untouchable. (The latter, though, is true as far as I can tell - certainly I never managed it.) There actually appears to be an inversely proportional relationship between 'how interesting the character is' and 'how much Japanese fans like her' when it comes to Tokimemo (among other things).

Another fun fact - Tokimeki Memorial 2 had a system by which the characters would be able to call you by your name, in some example of pre-Vocaloid technology gone horribly wrong, and a primitive precursor of the use of Vocaloids in Peace Walker a couple of decades later. (Come to think of it, Kojima did some work on Tokimemo side games during the mid-90s between Policenauts and Metal Gear Solid...wonder what those are like.)

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

I have yet to understand, on any level, how Tokimeki Memorial's version of love and courtship at all resembles any real form of human interaction. Just for the record. I mean, sure, I'd find it pretty creepy if my sweetie had literally no interest in other human beings other than myself (and Designated Bestie), but that's about the only way in which this system makes any sense to me.

Someone also explain to me why no one ever decides to have an official quote-unquote relationship until the end of your high school life. At least that resembles the anime version of human interaction, where you never confess to your true love until the series ends, no matter how long it takes, how little sense it makes, or how much you both know you're in love with one another. (Plus, it's romantic? I guess? Maybe? I don't think it is, but whatever...)

...personally, I'd rather not go for a girl who will only find you acceptable if you're some kind of perfect human being, and instead go for one that shares your interests, but I suppose it wouldn't be a Japanese video game without some kind of intensely obtuse task you need to perform for completion's sake.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

B, because I like making things harder on you. :3:

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Galick posted:

:catstare: WHY DIDN'T WE VOTE FOR HER. Holy poo poo that is the best possible match.

I told you we should have gone for science. :allears:

e: Any chance we could get alternate dialogue for different ways of meeting characters? Since for most characters, you can meet them in both a club and through a high stat. (Or that random Christmas party thing you mentioned.)

Queen Fiona fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Dec 6, 2013

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

...are any of the girls even half as weird as Yuina? If they are, we could be in for a much more interesting game than I thought.

I suppose there's...that one character you conspicuously didn't list in the opening post. Just being forgetful, or...?

But this is already exceeding my wildest expectations. :allears: Apparently Yuina is actually even crazier than what my childhood self made up. Who knew?

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

Ayako and Yumi both have their moments. Even Shiori has some, as you'll see at summer camp.

Shiori? That's one I didn't expect, given how I was under the impression she was the boring kind of perfect. The other character I ran into a lot was Yuko, but she's kind of a wildcard just from second-hand stuff, so I'm not sure what to expect there. (We probably won't run into her this playthrough, I'm guessing, based on how things are going.)

Ratoslov posted:

Question: What the gently caress is that thing on her breast? Is she a cyborg? :awesomelon:

She's a mad scientist, she just...has this stuff. Among other things. I know for a fact that this is just the beginning, and we're talking just the stuff that isn't dialogue-related. She was basically made to be LPed. :allears:

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

It could never be anything else but C. :allears:

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

edit: I just realized that you were talking as if I was going to go through every route and translate it. Um... no, 1-2 girls per game is my limit, I think. I have Metal Wolf Chaos to get to!

First Tokimemo, now Metal Wolf Chaos? I think you might be my new favorite RPer. :allears:

How much voice acting is there in this entry? Is it just the little sequence with Shiori? I know there was an SNES port which had (obviously) no voice acting, but I have no idea how much voicework there is in the CD-based ports. A video (or a link to someone else's) showing off the various characters' voice acting would be a nice bonus, if there's a decent amount of it.

AfroSquirrel posted:

Queen Fiona, who is the character in your avatar?

And B. We must keep our eyes on the goal, but you should never turn down the chance for more :science:!

It's a...radical reimagining, shall we say, of Vocaloid mascot Kagamine Rin. There's a series of freely available 3D models for Rin and two other Vocaloids in this style, which effectively makes them look like they were built by...well...Aperture Science. The specific model here is called 'Phosphorescent Rin'. (If you have any sanity or dignity, you understood no part of this paragraph, and probably didn't search for that model either.)

As for the vote, I'll admit, this is entirely a fangirl moment for me. Shiori always really bored me conceptually, while my bizarrely fixated teenage self probably finished the game with Yuina about a half-dozen times. It's possible, as mentioned, that the other girls also have plenty of crazy, but knowing what I do about anime stereotypes and this sort of game in general, I have my doubts anyone else would be as entertaining for vibratingsheep's goony audience. :science:

On a somewhat related note to that, they made a Tokimeki Memorial OVA based on the first game. Since as a rule your main character in OVAs like these isn't allowed to have a personality and decent animation is expensive, it's about the most boring thing you could possibly imagine. (Much like the Salamander OVA a few years prior.) It focuses primarily on Shiori, with I think a little side thing on Yuko and a fairly small amount of time on everyone else. Yuina here gets a very, very short cameo. (These sorts of games aren't really fun when you take them seriously, honestly.) There's other Tokimemo anime as well, but I haven't seen those and we can get to them when they're more relevant.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

Goon: That yukata really suits you. You look cute!
Shiori: Th, thanks. I'm happy to hear it.

There it is, the bright red blush of one of the most popular 2D girls in Japan. We're going to have to get used to her making this face pretty soon.

...I have to admit, Shiori is now growing on me. :blush:

...I'm still not changing my vote, though. And it's really just a total coincidence that my room looks like this. Honest.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Maybe he's pretending it's Yuina in cosplay.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Kimitsu posted:

Please don't forget the "two and a half years I've been serving her" line. (Emphasis mine)

But honestly it could be worse. Part of the Girl's Side games was being able to receive presents that your in-game character could wear. And then they made real versions of them that you could also wear... for 14,700yen each.

To be fair, Yuina seems like she'd be kinda into that. (Probably not from a weird stalker-ish otaku, though. Except as an utterly disposable test subject.)

As for merchandising, really, that's not too bad. I've seen worse. Hell, I probably own worse somewhere in all my still-packed boxes of soon-to-be-liquidated nerd crap. It's not really unique to Japan, either, although the Western market tends to be somewhat cheaper while leaving girl-oriented replicas like that to Etsy. (Then again, as we speak, I'm currently looking at Kirameki High School cosplay uniforms - a decision inspired by this very thread! - so I'm probably not a person you should ask about sane purchasing decisions.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

It appears to be a tie between B and C... unless I take The_Frag_Man's vote into account, which technically came in after the deadline but was something I mentioned that I would consider.

Well, at least it's clear in one way. 9 out of 10 goons agree - science wins! :science: (Or 'La science pour gagner!' as my fiancee's mouse packaging says! She pronounces it 'gag-ner'.)

As for the update proper, how difficult would Mio have made this run if we weren't going to reload things to get the best result possible? I'm assuming each reload has us randomly meeting a different girl? (Also, oh hey, Megumi showed up. Why does she stalk us so much, anyway? I suppose it would help if we had a personality, like...you know...that, uh...that one dating sim with a protagonist with a personality. That one. Yes.)

• Locked thread