Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
How did I miss this so far? I'm glad the thread ended up going with Utter Perfection.

I think one of the hardest concepts for people to understand with Tokimeki Memorial is that it's also a raising sim. "Romance" wipes that out surprisingly quickly. It's one of the first games I played in Japanese and even as they obviously start pandering to archetypes in later games, the characters themselves are really fun. Looking forward to watching you share the series!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

We may wanna be Superman, but that doesn't mean we have to be Clark Kent. let's be Tony Stark instead. B
This goon knows Goon. Let's take in some potential Bombers.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Guys, we're being offered cake and the chance to eat it! C keeps us both with the plan and lets us see Yuina's romantic options.

(Unless C means you're not going to keep up with Yuina in this route because I'm really voting for Super Nintendo Hard.)

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

vibratingsheep posted:

An actual playthrough of the game only takes 5-10 hours, adding about 15 minutes every time you have to reload. It's the translation work, research into the '90s, and screenshot capturing/management that takes a while.

[...]

I could probably work the translation portion a lot faster, but Yuina's speech patterns are so different from the norm that I wanted to make sure the English translation captured as many of the nuances as possible.

Out of respect for the work you're doing/putting in, I almost want to change my vote to "whatever makes things easier for you."

Then I remembered that I'm rooting for Super Nintendo Hard, even if it's a purely meta sense vs. actual game difficulty. :black101:

Hellioning posted:

On one hand, dedication to one's hobbies is perfectly fine. On the other hand, referring to a fictional character as -sama and spending 80+% of your income on her merchandise is kinda hilarious.

Please don't forget the "two and a half years I've been serving her" line. (Emphasis mine)

But honestly it could be worse. Part of the Girl's Side games was being able to receive presents that your in-game character could wear. And then they made real versions of them that you could also wear... for 14,700yen each.

Kimitsu fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 7, 2013

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

vibratingsheep posted:

Don't worry about me, I'm having a blast doing this. Vote for what you want to see!

Oh good, because I'm not changing my vote either. :colbert:

Seriously though, you're doing really great work and now I'm going to try to stop heaping praise on you because we're only 4 updates in.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

I forget the one time I went after Shiori and went mostly playboy with the other girls, but seeing this makes me really appreciate how easy they've made it in Girl's Side.

Really.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

I don't know, mutant Bambi sounds kind of interesting...

Then again, I did not know that ad existed. We want to be popular with Japanese middle-aged ladies like SMAP, so Okinawa!

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

A, and I don't think we ever actually saw Yukari or Saki during the Shiori run, so just meeting them is fine by me. (And since we need our guts up anyway...)

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Green Jacket posted:

Also your little brother is the one who keeps the info on guys in 'First Love' which is... slightly more unsettling compared to a classmate.

I'd like to top that - in Second Season, it's your next door neighbor (who is still only maybe 12), and there is also an ending for him.

In Third Story, it is one of your two best friends, who in random events can be found essentially stalking the male options for her purposes - she's obsessed with fortune telling and just has to know their blood type and birthdays and such.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE posted:

Oh man I've played Tokimeki Girl's Side games years ago. They can be a kind of interesting look at social expectations/attitudes towards women crossed with myopic stat-counting. The dating a teacher thing is loving weird though. The principal guy is gross as all get out. I think I dated a cool guy with a motorcycle. I'm not very good at these sort of games :saddowns: Reloading 100 times is out of this world-- I'd rather be a dropout at a gas station.

What if more than one person conspired to gift it to you?

To be fair, the teacher doesn't want to date you, so you do have to chase after him. (Also, the only present he accepts is homework.) On the other hand, the principal is ridiculous creepy.

Count me in on wanting to subject vibratingsheep to Tokimemo Girl's Side and reveling in the resulting reactions. Hell, I'll even be taking a trip to Japan soon, so I can help with procuring them.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

FredMSloniker posted:

It'd be interesting to see a life sim where you could go steady with someone partway through, and maybe even break up with them and date someone else. (Maybe there's a secret character you can only get by two- or three-timing some girls?)

The Girl's Side games also got a "Best Friend" option, where you can friend zone a guy. There are even endings for this where you have to reject another guy to get the confession scene from the friend.

Meanwhile, the girls in the first two GS games kind of hate your guts the instant they realize the guy they like likes you better.

Back to the vote, throwing in my card for B-ho, though my vote that doesn't count also goes to Homura. :allears:

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

vibratingsheep posted:

I declared this thread as a Tokimemo megathread, and at this point I think I would be guilty of false advertising if I didn't play at least one of the Girl's Sides. I'm tempted to try a completely blind playthrough of it, but I don't know if that would be satisfying if I missed any fun events.

If you haven't taken up Jenner's offer of the DS games (whether due to convenience or lack of hardware), I do have a copy of the PSP version for TMGS3. (I assume you have a PSP for the fourth game at least. Or I suppose you could just emulate them.) I'm all too happy to go through the second, third, and fourth games first before that becomes a concern, though.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Haifisch posted:

The jury is still out on whether or not oren is actually a superadvanced LPing AI.
I'm fairly certain he's powered by the despair of goons, too.

vibratingsheep posted:

Yeah, she's one of the secret characters, associated with the circus. She's the youngest character in the game by 2 years, and it kind of gives me the willies. It's an old prejudice from the Sakura Taisen days.

Being a fan of Sakura Wars the series/concept without ever really playing the game until 5, I have to ask - was it Iris or Coquelicot?

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

vibratingsheep posted:

Yes, these are the same choices from Tokimemo 1. Once again, B-ho is not eligible to show up to the school trip

No one seems to really care, but did we ever actually learn B-ho's real name? (I edited the quote just in case.)

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

I think the New Year's cards add a lot of personality to the characters. It's a shame that you apparently only see them if your relationship level has reached a certain point - or is there some other reason Kotoko doesn't send us a card?

I'll admit to buying a bunch of Tokimemo complete guides at Book-off while in Japan, thanks to them being 110yen or less, and being pretty disappointed that the only one to show the cards was the one for Girl's Side 3.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

I'm phone-posting, so no links, unfortunately, but two more to add to the pile (both can also be found on Hanako Games' website):

Lucky Rabbit Reflex! is an English dating sim very clearly inspired by the Girl's Side version of this series. Also by English I mean it's probably set in the UK, as that's where the developers are based. You're a high school girl who has transferred in the final year of school. But there's stat raising, girl befriending, guy dating, and a mechanic that's more unique to those games.

Spirited Heart is more directly life sim and less dating in the vein of Princess Maker, still very fantasy, and there's a little "dating" but it's definitely not the main objective.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

D3m3 posted:

I'm going for Art Club Guy. Because of my choice in guy, I'm going for the same fella as my designated gal pal. Well, that could get unpleasant, and working around that while still having a friend to hang with is the basic crux of my issue.
Spoilers related to the above issue:

You'll meet the other girls the same way you meet the guys - by raising the related stat high enough. You can also raise the Social stat by reading fashion magazines, though it's a lot less than if you did club activities and hung out with friends.

I tend to go for playboy (play girl?) runs where even if I have one goal guy I'll try and raise every stat and defuse all bombs as they pop up. This means that any other guy I meet will eventually probably like me better than the designated girl and they will hate you, no matter how close you were before or how little attention you've paid to the guy. I'd say cut your losses on the starting girl because after you hit rival mode, it's really difficult to win her back.

The rival system in the first two GS games is done pretty well unless you want to be Miss Popular with everyone. Then it's annoying as hell.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

vibratingsheep posted:

This is less fun than naming their Gundams...

Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side - How to Date a Gundam.

But honestly my vote goes for either Being a girl is hard or The Original Crowdfunding Success. Later games give us voice actors like One Piece's Zoro, Bleach's Ichigo, and FMA's Greed, and of course most of them have had a role in one Gundam or another... but I think the actors for the first game are overall famous in anime. (The budget for TM3 totally went to getting VAs for TMGS.)

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

The crying baby in the background makes the pain so much more palpable.

Also for posterity - while in Japan earlier this year, I found and bought the PS2 version of the official complete guide to Tokimemo Girl's Side. Please assume all following spoilers are in relation to in-depth game technicalities, spoiled because Sheep going in blind is pretty funny.

It is a 304-page full color book with the exact starting stats and friend each room gives you, exactly how much each command raises/lowers each stat, all the clothes and their warmth (jeans and hoodie combined at 30 warmth, while the USA skirt outfit combined at 50)and monetary values and even what months/years you can buy them in what colors - including the Cosplay clothes you can buy like Alucard's clothes or the school uniforms from the previous three TM games that I've never seen in the DS version, numerical point values for affection values and how responses to fashion/dates/presents change, all the special images it's possible to get, and of course detailed profiles of each character including all the possible outfits and facial expressions they wear at any given moment, all the scribble forms, and how the boys will react to all possible response choices on any dates. As an example, for the ski date shown in the last update, for the option Sheep picked, if our Sports parameter was 39 or under, that would've been the worst choice possible. As it is we were 40+ so it was the best one. They also give the complete line response. If our athletics sucked, Kazuma would've said "Hey now, didn't you just barely manage to stand?" (Actual line: おいおい、立ってんのもやっとじゃねえか。) If we had said we were only okay at it, Kazuma would've said "Then let's go all out on the slopes today!" (じゃ、今日はトコトン滑ろうぜ!). And if we had said we were absolutely awful at it, Kazuma would've said "...I guess I've got no choice. Fine, I'll only teach you for 15 minutes. Then go do whatever you want." (……しかたねえな。じゃ、15分だけ教えてやるからよ。あと勝手に滑れよな。) Also I probably mistranslated some of those.

Despite all this detail, there is only one point where the Valentine's Day minigame pops up. It doesn't give any advice or direction towards making the chocolate and only tells you how many times you can miss before you drop to the next level (from Extremely Well Done to You Can Do Much Better) - yes, this is affected by the Social stat - and how each kind of chocolate numerically affects affection levels. It assumes that the in-game instructions are all you need.

Even Japanese game wikis would not have helped.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Oh, Kazuma, can't you just scream your way through this, too?

Even though I realize it was basically a literal translation, I can't stop cracking up over how you gave us the Stranger's poem.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Catalina posted:

If you own a 3DS, it will play DS games. Oh, but I guess it has region lock, huh? I would lend you my DS, but it has a dead pixel and the hinges are broken!

Region lock on 3DS doesn't matter for DS games unless the DS game is actually a DSi game. I can (and do) play TMGS3 on my US 3DS. The problem is that making a 3DS capturable might not be worth it for sheep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Chromius posted:

GS3, in my experience, practically wants you to meet every date-able guy. I think almost all of them have events that happen in the second year at low affection. And no matter what, you will meet half the guys in every playthrough. But it does kind of kill the fun in trying not to meet someone.

But that has to do with game mechanics, since all the date options are paired in GS3. It's also arguably possible to meet half the guys in every playthrough since "Childhood Friend" and "Senpai, Please Notice Me" are forced meetings, and raising stats for them attracts the others.

• Locked thread