Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
A. Why would you go for anything other than story in a game almost entirely comprised of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

vibratingsheep posted:

Miho: God, this is all I want. Let me meet a handsome prince.
Goon: Want me to do that for you?

This made me laugh more than it really should have. Child Goon is remarkably bold.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Easy mode is boring! Let's go after Miho instead.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

vibratingsheep posted:

Miho difficulty: Normal (Hard if Takumi becomes your rival. "Oh God Why" Nintendo Hard under certain circumstances. "Load a previous save, this one's dead" under one specific set of circumstances)

Yeah, this is just making me more firm in my decision for Miho, now I'm just curious as to what the circumstances are that make a Miho run that much harder.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

dmboogie posted:

Sorry if this question is approaching :filez: territory, but is there any particular reason that there's never been any sort of fan translation for this game?

I don't know the reason as to why, but Tokimemo has actually been one of those cursed projects in fan translations circles for a while, where people have tried to get something going for it and then for one reason or the other, it's just fallen apart. I think a couple of the Girl's Side games got translated into English but otherwise the only real crack at a mainline Tokimeki was a reasonably complete english patch of all the endings of Tokimeki 1.

E; Sorry, that didn't really answer your question. People just haven't been able to keep it together long enough to make any significant progress on it.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Feb 21, 2014

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Tokimemo 2's looking way more interesting than the first already, looking forward to seeing the rest of this game.

Also, out of a twisted curiosity this thread made me try out the PSP port of Tokimemo 1 which looks to be a straight port of the PS1 version with virtually no changes as far as I can tell and seeing this mere update has sort of irked me that Tokimemo 1 is the one with the PSP port and not Tokimemo 2 because honestly, actually playing Tokimemo 1 it was okay but very swiftly got repetitive, Tokimemo 2 seems like it's got more things to keep the actual gameplay fresh.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

vibratingsheep posted:

I believe Tokimemo 2 can also be played on PSP; I'm currently playing it on my PS3, at least. Tokimemo 2 is also a straight port, but with some bug fixes.

If Wikipedia is to be believed, Tokimemo 2 wasn't released on PSP as like an actual physical UMD release like Tokimemo 1 was which is how I played it, but both of the PS1 versions of the games are available on the Japanese PSN which entails having a Japanese PSN account which I do not currently possess but sounds like it'd be easy enough to set up, so you can play both on a PSP like that.

Delightfully, this means the PSP has access to two separate but completely identical versions of Tokimemo 1.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

vibratingsheep posted:

There are two Mihos.

What the gently caress? That got super interesting in a flash, wasn't expecting such a twist so fast. This is awesome and I am so glad we voted for this because seriously what. Does she have dissociative identity disorder or some other plot based reason for this to happen or is the game just flat out loving with you?

Anyway, A. Kero. Seems to be the path where things went best for us, ride the success Goon! Ride it!

E: V V

Twins? Twins! I never even considered there being two actual people both pretending to be the same person. agh god what the hell is with you miho. I want new update. Enquiring minds need to know this stuff.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Feb 24, 2014

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Catalina posted:

Miho theories so far:
Miho has a split personality.
Miho has a twin.
Miho has a twin brother who likes to cross-dress.

Alternative Comedy Theory: The other Miho is from a parallel dimension. She crossed over because she did not get with Goon in her own timeline due to him hooking up with the thread's second-popular vote Hikari.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

Are those circumstances, then, that the game simply divides dates between Miho A and Miho B so evenly that you can't get sufficient stats with either?

I'm thinking along the lines at some point one of the Mihos just up and vanishes or something.

to what end you butt I was enjoying this twist

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Hellioning posted:

In order to get Miho B's ending, Miho A has to like you too. If Takumi goes after Miho A and you're trying to go after Miho B, it becomes impossible.

Disappointing.

Wait, does that work the same if you flip the Miho's? Does Miho A's ending require Miho B to like you? If not, is it at all possible to have Goon get with Miho A and Takumi get with Miho B? Because if so that's the outcome I'm rooting for.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

nielsm posted:

When the game was invented it was probably the most practical material to make the plate out of, and it just stuck. I imagine.

Well yeah, that makes sense. But if you can't eat it, why call it candy? Am I wrong on this because I always thought that if something is candy, it being edible is a pre-requisite.

Why CAN'T you eat that stuff anyway? What is it that's unfit for human consumption and nasty?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

CandyCrazy posted:

but there probably won't be a chokepoint that results in 50+ resets with literally no progress (though if there is... :allears:).

I wouldn't be so sure. Takumi's got to eventually come into play and I presume OP doesn't want him mucking everything up and will reload until Takumi's not interested in Miho. Might take a while.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

kissekatt posted:

vibratingsheep posted:

Every FAQ and guide to Miho/B-ho that I've found says "stare at their chests to tell the difference."

I find this really funny for some reason. This goddamn game, man. :allears:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

I vote Miho just because I'd prefer just about anything to something akin to a valley girl.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

So about that forever alone ending... Does that mean that Jun and Takumi are fated to not get the girl they go after since they're tearfully singing as well?

That ending occurs if you actively cockblock the both of them and don't get with someone yourself, according to when it was mentioned in this LP.

I infer that therefore they can get with the girl they go after which makes me curious about variants on the endings if both your friends succeed and you don't or one of them succeeds and no-one else does etc.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

I have a question for ya, where are you getting your info from about some of the finer points of these games? I ask here because really where the hell else am I going to go to find stuff out about TokiMemo?

Like throughout the LP's of both games you often mention how "most FAQS" will tell you to do X or Y or reload if Z etc, but I can't find any of these FAQ's and I'd quite like to because any information I've found is woefully incomplete. All I can find is generic guides for English speakers to help them navigate and no real specifics for individual routes. I couldn't even find Ayako's stat requirements when I was going through her route, which basically resulted in me raising everything to 130 just to be absolutely sure. Trying to raise Guts to 130 resulted in me somehow ending the game with 300+ in Sports, go figure.

Whether it's in Japanese or not, I'd still like to know where you're finding this stuff since I'm considering trying Tatebayashi's route and I completely don't fancy trying to work out how to complete that one on my own.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

vibratingsheep posted:

I'm also making extensive use of Japanese online wikis.

Tokimeki Dictionary: Miharu

Oh, that's excellent. Thanks a bunch! The word "random" is being kicked around with worrying frequency on that page.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

tonberrytoby posted:

Can you explain a bit more about how Jun and Takumi work in this game?
Do they just go for the girl that likes you the least out of your harem?

I think it was said earlier in the LP that Jun goes for the girl with the least affection for you and Takumi's is randomized to some degree. To what degree I don't know.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

This is unrelated to the current situation but I tried out the "Konamiman" code for Tokimemo 1, the one that sets all your stats to ludicrously high levels. It actually sets every stat including Stress(!) to 573, the "Konami number". Cute little touch so I felt like sharing.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

So, interesting thing about bombs at least with regards to Tokimemo 1. They don't actually explode unless you continue to interact with girls who are not the bomber, you can sit around and pick your nose/sleep/study as long as you like and that bomb won't go off as long as you don't interact with other girls.

That is the only explanation I can conceive of for how I've managed to cause this scenario where some of these bombs have been sitting around since the first year and I held this status right the way through to the end of the game:

Pardon the lovely cellphone shot, I'm playing the PSP version and can't screenshot it easily. But yeah, near as I can tell Tokimemo 2 doesn't seem to have changed the bomb system and knowing this means if you're pressed to remove a bomb, you can be sure in that if you ignore absolutely everyone but the bomber then you'll be fine.

Also, what gives with the blank space? Pretty sure that's everyone.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Sketchie posted:

Maybe that last blank space is for the stalker chick. She is heavily entirely RNG based, after all.

This was actually the playthrough on which I got her ending, because she's bomb-immune and doesn't really have an affection meter anyway because her requirements don't work that way, so I don't think it can be her. Rei's in a similar boat.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Getsuya posted:

This really opened my eyes, though, and now I'm going to go out and see if my local Book Off or Seagull has a copy of 2 for the PSP or PS1.

2 is not on the PSP, because TokiMemo2 spans five whole discs on the PS1

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Wow, that reveal was seriously weak. Also, what was the banging? Was Maho trying to hide Miho in another room or something because that entire scene was kinda lost on me. Maybe I'm stupid, who knows.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Tarezax posted:

Mahou (long "o" sound) is magic. Maho's name replaces the first character in Miho's name, which means "beautiful", for one that means "real" or "true". Note that I'm going by Chinese usage so it may be a bit off.

The second character of their names means "sail".

Even if you're going off Chinese it still sounds about right to me and my admittedly poor Japanese. Together the characters in Maho make what I think means "full sail".

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

BlazeEmblem posted:

He realized that there was something wrong, but never brought it up because there was no reason for him to believe that there being two of them was the explanation.

To be honest I think that's probably a fair assessment of how any random person would be in real life. If something like that actually happened to you why would twins be the thing you jump to?

Granted, Goon being totally unable to ask about it is just video games being video games but I digress in that I don't think it's that ridiculous that it could go unchallenged for so long. Also that ending was pretty drat lame, that whole route in general beyond how much of a gameplay clusterfuck it is was kind of bleh. Guess I've should've figured since all of TokiMemo 1's secret characters make for really boring playthroughs, Tokimemo 2 seems to be following that trend. Ah well, next route'll be more interesting and I'm still digging your hard work on the LP, sheep.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Can we stop posting this as an excuse?

No. Akane.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

I'm gonna vote for Kaedeko.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

It only makes sense to visit the side games after having put more into Tokimemo 2's characters.

So, for now let's see what Tokimemo 3 has to offer.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Wanton Spoon posted:

I don't know why so many are saying moving onto Tokimemo 3 is a mistake. I've only seen one screenshot and some historical context, and already I am fascinated to see where this goes.

Ditto, the small amount of history was actually surprisingly fascinating. Never knew a dating sim would have such a trouble history and be funded via like a proto-Kickstarter.

Riding this train all the way until the inevitable crash. :toot:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

vibratingsheep posted:

Been doing some research on what's coming up. Orange? is considered the hardest playthrough in any Tokimeki Memorial ever. It's not just the Shiori-Kasumi stat grind. It's that her affection for you will drop at random times for Baggage reasons that you cannot control.

I may actually rage quit.

Full speed ahead!

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Sindai posted:

Ahahaha, using rand() is hard, guys. :downs:

Seems like a good a method as any for randomizing playthroughs while allowing a savvy player to manipulate it if they wish. I doubt this was the intent but it's there at any rate. Roll on the deluge of system mechanics info!

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

alcharagia posted:

I just caught up with the thread and I've gotta say, I do really enjoy the idea of having one of the "love interests" actually function as the main antagonist of the game. The execution leaves something to be desired, of course, but the Mad Bomber of Moegiri is something I kinda wish I could see in other games that aren't poo poo.

The problem is that I'm pretty sure she's not meant to be an antagonist.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

EightDeer posted:

I've been wondering, what does the text mean in this picture?

It keeps coming up, but I don't think it was ever translated.

I'm going to be a no fun Nelly and explain the joke flat-out. It says "keikaku doori" in reference to this scene from Death Note.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

loving hell I wasn't expecting that

What happens if you just abandon Serika? Does she just die and that's your route over? Truly though, it feels like Serika is the protagonist of a much more interesting game.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

vibratingsheep posted:

Tamami's super stuns both boys for 5 seconds. Which would be great if she hadn't stolen our man!

I adore how the pillow throwing mini-game has supers that look like you're awakening to your Persona.

this game is just too silly and adorable :allears:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

vibratingsheep posted:

Spoiler for next post: this is Mizuki's super, Fireball Smash de Paris.

Did you remember that she's in the tennis club? I totally forgot.

Mizuki has obtained the facade to overcome life's hardships, the Persona "Giant Pillow On Fire".

I am so very glad you're going over every permutation of this event.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

CHiRAL posted:

The BTS are out, for anyone that needs just a little more Ahyoung in their diet :3:

Which tokimeki girls would make the best genius game players? Yuina would probably be decent.

you may have posted in the wrong thread :ssh:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

vibratingsheep posted:

Also, I found out Takadanobaba Mikado is the greatest arcade in history, because they run tournaments for the Tokimemo arcade game. No, not the puzzle one. It's 1997's Tokimeki Memorial: Oshiete Your Heart, the one affectionately known as "The one you stick your finger into." It has a biosensor that measures perspiration and heart rate, and certain responses only work at certain levels of excitement/calm. It's pretty hilarious.

Okay, actually, it's amazingly hilarious. The tournament series is called The 男祭, AKA "The Sausage Fest", and it's been run so far on Christmas Eve, Valentine's Day, and White Day.

This is absolutely the last kind of game I expected to have a tournament following

:psyduck:

e: oh my god this is such an enthralling watch they're just so loving into it.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

vibratingsheep posted:

Would you believe if I said that, in another thread on this very forum, there is video footage of me commentating a money match of Neo Turf Masters? What if I claimed that we're trying to acquire one of these machines to see if we can run our own version of Sausage Fest?

Yes because neo turf masters is fabulous and also I may have watched that video already!

Oshiete Your Heart looks balls hard from what I'm seeing here on the tournament footage, dude made one wrong choice out of two and it instantly ended the game. This is surprisingly entertaining to watch though just because of how goddamn into it the commentators are.

• Locked thread