Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

vibratingsheep posted:

At this point, Goon's stress level is getting dangerously high - at 30 and above, the success rate of almost all actions goes down - the notable exception is Sleep, which never fails.

If only that was true in real life. Failed my sleep check, stuck reading the LP forums at 3:00am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Son Ryo posted:

This is a pretty loaded topic, but the consensus seems to be that it was the Azumanga Daioh anime.

. . . seriously? Is that consensus among goons, American anime fans, or the Japanese anime fans? That's such an oddly specific trigger it seems like it almost has to be wrong.

I never really thought about it much since I stopped watching Anime a long time ago; but if I had to guess I would have thought the blame lies more at the feet of studios like CLAMP.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

vibratingsheep posted:

Goon: Miho-chan!
Miho(?): Who are you talking to?
Miho(?): Because that's definitely not me.

B-ho Death Glare Count: 6

I can't stop laughing at this.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

InfiniteJesters posted:

Some people who were on the ground seem to indicate it's...Complicated. And actually kinda sad in a genuinely-sad sort of way.

Basically, according to that link, otaku in Japan thought post-apocalyptic fiction/manga/anime was cool.

This article is really interesting, especially once I realized it's 10 years old. I think 'moe' has taken on an incredibly . . . different undertone in the years since this was written.

quote:

Then Aum Shinrikyo happened and they discovered it was not particularly cool at all. In fact, it was kind of scary.

So they turned to moe stuff instead.

Probably not the thread to debate it; but I think this is pretty far off both from what the article is trying to say and my own personal opinions.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 19, 2014

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

vibratingsheep posted:

As for games that are similar to the Tokimemo "Idealized day-to-day high school life + random weirdness" formula, you don't have too many direct imitators, since most of the games that followed tried to be entirely unique and, as often happens in the Japanese market, "let's try to be unique" spiraled out of control to "what the hell is going on". Persona 3 and 4 also come relatively close, though they stapled the Tokimemo formula and a JRPG together - and lemme tell you, it gave Persona 3 a ton of awkward mechanics. Persona 4 was a vast improvement over 3 in pretty much every way.

I've been wanting to try a Persona game for a long time. Would you start with 3 or 4?

For some reason, I never even heard of this series until Persona 3 and then it was everywhere. Were 1 and 2 just not good?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Schubalts posted:

Isn't this the first time Miho and B-ho have both been at school at the same time?

Assuming it was, was this random or was it intentional?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BlazeEmblem posted:

Edit: ...Why are twin sisters going to different schools?

This actually happens a lot in some big cities in the US (definitely in Chicago), where you have neighborhood schools and higher tier schools; and to get into the higher tier schools you have to win a weighted lottery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My vote is for Mei.

vibratingsheep posted:

There you have it - 8 introductions for 8 girls. Miho is left out of this poll for variety purposes, while Kasumi is left out because of the previously mentioned reasons.

I completely missed this, why don't you want to do a Kasumi run?

• Locked thread