Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Aiite, I've bought my ticket for the music hype train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

ViggyNash posted:

Anyone know if this is also streaming on CR? I swear I saw some announcement of that nature some time ago.

There is no way unless it's an Attack on Titan type deal where they did multiple streaming licenses.

CR has a news piece that says Funi is handling the streaming though, so probably not.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Level Slide posted:

poo poo, I'll be away from television during the premier. What are the odds on Toonami putting full episodes on Youtube?

Adult Swim/Toonami puts up episodes of all their shows up one day after they air on their site, and you can watch a live stream of the channel any time. However, availability to said videos/stream depends on your cable provider (you've gotta punch in your info with them) and the videos expire (generally after a month). Funimation (or your DVR)'s gonna be the best bet for putting up episodes for longer than that.

e: Or who knows, maybe they'll break tradition and host the videos for longer than that or for free or something entirely different. God knows this whole thing is out of the ordinary enough for them.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Dec 2, 2013

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
A new PV! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvrgMnPogKc

Didn't have the smarmy robot pinned for a female voice actor. Please don't be Wendee Lee or Laura Bailey...

Also I like how laid back the cat seems.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
The music contribution and creator list is up.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-12-02/space-dandy-japanese-full-promo-previews-voices

Music artists:

Macra Izumi
Taro Umebayashi
Hiroshi Kawanabe (TOKYO No.1 SOUL SET)
Yoko Kanno
KenKen
kensuke ushio (agraph, LAMA)
ZEN-LA-ROCK
TUCKER
☆Taku Takahashi (m-flo,block.fm)
Mountain Mocha Kilimanjaro
DOKAKA
Noriyoshi Sasanuma (SLY MONGOOSE)
JUNK FUJIYAMA
Hiroyuki Namba (BAOH)
Tomonori Hayashibe
Mito (Clammbon)
Shūtoku Mukai
Fujimaru Yoshino
Latin Quarters
LUVRAW & BTB

Creator List

Kunio Okawara
Thomas Romain
Shinichiro Watanabe
Kazutaka Miyatake
Keiko Nobumoto
Ichiro Okouchi
Masaaki Yuasa
Katsuya Terada
Niθ (Nitroplus)
Goro Taniguchi
Hiroyuki Aoyama
Takanobu Akita
Masashi Ikeda
Kayoko Ishikawa
Makoto Ishiwata (Nitroplus)
Yoshiyuki Itou
Kazumi Inadome
Toshiaki Uesugi
Kimiko Ueno
Emeric Kevin
Toh Enjoe
Katsuhiro Otomo
Tomoaki Okada
Gakuo Okada (Nitroplus)
Masayuki Ogisu
Hiroyuki Okuno
Kiyotaka Oshiyama
Gosei Oda
Yuko Obari
Fumihiro Katagai
Atsushi Kamijo
Tomohiro Kishi
Mantō Kinriki
Takuhito Kusanagi
Chikashi Kubota
Yui Koiso
Rei Kawano
Yumiko Kondō
Satoshi Saga
Ikurō Satō
Dai Satō
Nanami Satō
Hiroshi Shimizu
Tomohisa Shimoyama
Sō Toyama
Fumihiko Takayma (J.C.STAFF)
Shingo Takeba
Shou Tajima
Jun'ichirō Tamamori
Chūnyon
Yuriko Chiba
Shintaro Dōge
Eiji Nakada
Namaniku ATK (Nitroplus)
Hidemori Narita (Kusanagi)
Shingo Natsume
Kōichi Hashimoto
Hiroshi Hamasaki
Akemi Hayashi
Toshio Hirata
Michio Mihara
Masayuki Miyaji
Hisashi Mori
Hayashi Mori
Etsuko Yakujimaru
Sayo Yamamoto
Takaaki Wada

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

Yuasa and Otomo.

All I needed for my hype levels to enter the space.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AibLFtCWacKmdHN6UVh0N0dMTDBSNnY5aFAzREZqSkE#gid=0

Here's a sorted version of that creator list with probable roles listed.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Another question, will Funi be streaming the dub for free users, or is it only sub for us freeloaders?

E: vv I did look and it didn't say one way or the other on either Funi's site or elsewhere. I was just wondering if it had been noted, but I just can't find the info.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 2, 2013

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

ViggyNash posted:

Another question, will Funi be streaming the dub for free users, or is it only sub for us freeloaders?

You know, you're using the internet right now you could find this out by just doing some quick searches to see what info Funi has released about this.

To answer your question, that information will not be available until the streaming plans are actually announced which will be way closer to when the shows actually air. So these questions are best asked in like, a week or two before the show will air. If you do a search about it and there's no news, it usually means exactly that, no news.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

OnimaruXLR posted:

A new PV! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvrgMnPogKc

Didn't have the smarmy robot pinned for a female voice actor. Please don't be Wendee Lee or Laura Bailey...

Also I like how laid back the cat seems.

The robot's name is literally QT, how could it not be a girl

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

I don't recognize many of these besides Yoko Kanno, but I recognized LAMA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SjxyK-eZBw

I don't know if I could be more excited.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

AnacondaHL posted:

Aiite, I've bought my ticket for the music hype train.

That music's just a LazerHawk song, but hold on to your ticket.

TwoPair posted:

Adult Swim/Toonami puts up episodes of all their shows up one day after they air on their site, and you can watch a live stream of the channel any time. However, availability to said videos/stream depends on your cable provider (you've gotta punch in your info with them) and the videos expire (generally after a month). Funimation (or your DVR)'s gonna be the best bet for putting up episodes for longer than that.

e: Or who knows, maybe they'll break tradition and host the videos for longer than that or for free or something entirely different. God knows this whole thing is out of the ordinary enough for them.

Sometimes for new shows or new seasons, they put the first episode up on YouTube for free. They did it with Venture Bros and Rick and Morty.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Ive never followed an anime week by week before but this seems like a great one to start with. The trailer with the 'dandy guy in the space' got me interested but:

Zorak posted:

Watanabe basically wanted to make a fun retro-esque space opera that captures the fun of both Bebop and 80s space operas. Each week they visit a new world and encounter new aliens, with each planet having a completely different designer (which they're keeping secret until it airs, since apparently they've brought on some heavy hitters and they want it to be a surprise).

this just sounds amazing. I'm really looking forward to this show now.

Usuallymatt
Dec 3, 2013

subsiste sermonem statim
Anyone else going after a dub version or is it subs only for most people? I enjoyed Bebop as a dubbed show but I'm fairly new to Anime so what do I know.

Usuallymatt fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 3, 2013

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The dub is going to air first on TV in America, so I imagine a decent number of people will see the dub (or at least one episode of it).

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
They're giving this thing a huge push so I'm sure they'll pull out all the stops for the dub. It's being simulcasted anyway so most people will be watching the dub on TV.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Usuallymatt posted:

Anyone else going after a dub version or is it subs only for most people. I enjoyed Bebop as a dubbed show but I'm fairly new to Anime so what do I know.

All of Watanabe's stuff from my experience feels better dubbed, but that's usually due to A. the heavy western influence in his works and B. the localization companies that work on his shows GET Watanabe and know how to do a dub of his stuff. I'd say watch both and figure out which one is best for you or just go with the language you know better, you can't really go wrong these days with either. I'm also jumping on the hype train for Space Dandy, Watanabe knows what I like and he knows how I like it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Sex_Ferguson posted:

All of Watanabe's stuff from my experience feels better dubbed

I haven't seen Kids on the Slope dubbed yet (hope to hear it next year) but from all I've read the dub for that one was supposed to be somewhat lovely because Sentai Filmworks got a hold of it and they're dubs have been less than stellar as of late (good ol' quantity over quality approach. pump out so much stuff so fast that your QC starts to suffer big time, good job guys!).

In this case though, it's Funimation and when they are motivated they can put out amazing dubs. Steins;Gate, Wolf Children, Summer Wars, Eden of the East are all examples I can think of recently of where they did great job and they've done some pretty noteworthy stuff like FMA of course, so in this case I think it's fair to say a good dub is certainly likely.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Its a watanabe show, its premiering in english on american TV first, it has a bunch of adult swim money behind, and its from the studio that brings poo poo like Baccano, Steins Gate and Summer Wars. The chances of the dub not being amazing are drat near zero.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

The Black Stones posted:

I haven't seen Kids on the Slope dubbed yet (hope to hear it next year) but from all I've read the dub for that one was supposed to be somewhat lovely because Sentai Filmworks got a hold of it and they're dubs have been less than stellar as of late (good ol' quantity over quality approach. pump out so much stuff so fast that your QC starts to suffer big time, good job guys!).

The Kids on the Slope dub is pretty bad. Sentai Filmworks' botching of the BD release aside, here's a few scenes from the dub. I don't know how Steven Foster keeps getting work.

While FUNimation has a better handle on quality control, it sucks that a Texas dub has already been confirmed. Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo were both dubbed by Animaze and Bang Zoom! respectively and they're Los Angeles based.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Dandy's Japanese airtimes leaked and the US airing is a full 8h30m before the Japanese airing, as expected. Pretty cool.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

aers posted:

Dandy's Japanese airtimes leaked and the US airing is a full 8h30m before the Japanese airing, as expected. Pretty cool.

Bet there are a ton of japanese nerds upset about this.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I doubt Japanese nerds as a whole even give a poo poo about SPACE DANDY.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

aers posted:

When are the times? They're taking the massive timezone difference into account, right?

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

livingfruitvirus posted:

When are the times? They're taking the massive timezone difference into account, right?

Context: Space Dandy is broadcasting on Adult Swim in Sunday 1:30pm Japan time.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

livingfruitvirus posted:

23:00 JST, and yes I accounted for time zone differences.

Delusibeta posted:

Context: Space Dandy is broadcasting on Adult Swim in Sunday 1:30pm Japan time.

Oh, crap, I forgot they expanded Adult Swim to 11:30. 9h30m then.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Wow, I'm really surprised to not see Takeshi Koike's name on that list. Seems like crazy stuff in space would be perfect for him after Redline.
Still, Otomo and Yuasa? Gonna be amazing. And the guy who made Oban Star Racers is there too.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Ccs posted:

Wow, I'm really surprised to not see Takeshi Koike's name on that list. Seems like crazy stuff in space would be perfect for him after Redline.
Still, Otomo and Yuasa? Gonna be amazing. And the guy who made Oban Star Racers is there too.

A staff member leaked on twitter that Koike worked on the music video for the OP (the tweet has since been deleted). He could show up. The creators list says "and many more" at the end :)

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
For those interested, dub cast:

<Character>
<Japanese Cast>
<English Cast>

Dandy
Junichi Suwabe
Ian Sinclair

QT
Uki Satake (9nine)
Alison Viktorin

Meow
Hiroyuki Yoshino
Joel McDonald

Dr. Gel
Unsho Ishizuka
J. Michael Tatum

Bea
Kosuke Hatakeyama
Micah Solusod

Perry
Banjo Ginga
Kent Williams

Honey
Yurin
Alexis Tipton

Scarlet
Hoko Kuwashima
Colleen Clinkenbeard

Narrator
Masaaki Yajima
R Bruce Elliott

http://www.funimation.com/blog/?p=2861#more-2861

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Level Slide posted:

I doubt Japanese nerds as a whole even give a poo poo about SPACE DANDY.
Who are they to doubt SPACE DANDY?

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
And in the UK, All the Anime has picked up the series lock, stock and barrel. Considering these were the guys to have been first to pick up the HD version of Bebop outside of Japan, I can't say that I'm too surprised. But yeah, Wakanim simulcast confirmed for the UK, in both sub and dub flavours.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

livingfruitvirus posted:

For those interested, dub cast:

<Character>
<Japanese Cast>
<English Cast>

Meow
Hiroyuki Yoshino
Joel McDonald

http://www.funimation.com/blog/?p=2861#more-2861

I am disappointed that Meow isn't being played by Blum.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Scent of Worf posted:

Blum can't be in it because they're dubbing in Texas.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

Well, Kill La Kill got me back into anime after a long while, and hopefully this show will keep it up. Looks like it could be great.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Funimation has been using the poo poo out of Ian Sinclair lately, jesus. After listening to him as Toriko though, he'll do just fine as Dandy, maybe even better.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Scent of Worf posted:

Steve Blum confirmed weeks ago that it wasn't possible for him to be in this dub. For similar reasons he wasn't in Kids on the Slope.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Overlord K posted:

Whoa, I was all pumped up for watching this yet I was completely unaware of the fact it would be airing on Adult Swim.

I'm going to have to actually watch Adult Swim again. What a weird feeling. :stare:

Last thing I remember was Death Note in like 2007 or something. It was really weird having my non-anime watching bro-type friend pestering me about this great show I had to see.

Fingers crossed they actually bother to license it in Europe, because loving around with internet voodoo to obtain streaming video is never not a massive headache, and I'd really like to watch this one week to week. This is what I get for not reading to the end of the thread. This is gonna be great :swoon:

Doodles posted:

You're going to see that "Dandy" look at anime cons all over the damned place by no later than February. And I wouldn't be shocked if it was sooner.

Pompadours have always been cool :colbert:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 6, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm really disappointed they didn't get Patrick Seitz, because Dandy looks just like Sweet JP.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I'm really disappointed they didn't get Patrick Seitz, because Dandy looks just like Sweet JP.

Same. I've been picturing Dandy speaking with his voice the whole time and it fit perfectly. Also I've apparently been confusing Patrick Seitz and Travis Willingham this whole time? Woops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Same. I've been picturing Dandy speaking with his voice the whole time and it fit perfectly. Also I've apparently been confusing Patrick Seitz and Travis Willingham this whole time? Woops

Yeah, Patrick Seitz's voice is pretty similar to Travis Willingham's. I've listened to the two long enough now to be able to point out the differences, so the best way to learn whose voice is whose is to basically watch a VO reel of both. If I could put it into words, Seitz's voice is actually a bit higher, while Willingham's is deeper.

• Locked thread