Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

KittyEmpress posted:

I was so happy with that run too. It took me until I was level 29 to find a statue, so I raised my vitality and agility a ton when I did. I died with like 20 agility. :negative:

In that case you should be able to kite them next time. At double digit agility scores, you should outspeed dragons so that you get free actions when they're Stopped every 4 or so turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

booksnake posted:

In that case you should be able to kite them next time. At double digit agility scores, you should outspeed dragons so that you get free actions when they're Stopped every 4 or so turns.

Yeah, the whole thing was that I was trying to kill it so I could have a 'clear' area to kill the demon lord, because the time he spawned before that I was going to try and take him down and got a bunch of hero skeletons and stuff showing up, so I had to run just from pure numbers.

I learned not to trust dragons.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They nerfed Frieda's Letter into uselessness since Steam release. I was still getting single-digit EXP per kill and barely getting multiple levels on anything. That was to be a bug. Speed Bracelet is king once again.

I learned that confusion is an incredible buff to a weapon and works on Demon Lord. Get it to proc once and Demon Lord is easily able to be tanked unless you somehow die in one hit. Might be best to move away if it meditates.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 18, 2014

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Are there any easy dimensions to quickly get some good weapons or armor on? I feel like I never find items that are worth using on any of my characters.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Well, at this point I've beaten Maniac Inhumane Odyssey with every class except Force User, Hunter and Adventurer. I... I think I like this game too much.

Scalding Coffee posted:

They nerfed Frieda's Letter into uselessness since Steam release. I was still getting single-digit EXP per kill and barely getting multiple levels on anything. That was to be a bug. Speed Bracelet is king once again.

I learned that confusion is an incredible buff to a weapon and works on Demon Lord. Get it to proc once and Demon Lord is easily able to be tanked unless you somehow die in one hit. Might be best to move way if it meditates.

I don't really like confusion on melee weapons (there are much better mods to shoot for), but scrolls of confusion are ace for when you get yourself in a sticky situation with 2 or more enemies next to you. However, confusion and paralysis are extremely good on spears and bows since you can incapacitate enemies without having to roll the dice on whether or not you'll get hit if they survive.

As for Frieda's letter, I'm not terribly sure how it works exactly. I think it messes around with the experience gain formula, which is based on some weird black box comparison of your and the monster's stats. If you're a ton stronger than the monster you're fighting, you'll get minimum experience anyway. If you're fighting triangles or monsters at your level, you'll definitely see an effect.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I used to get 30% per kill and guaranteed levels off yellows.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

That's strange; I get wildly different exp yields based on what I'm fighting. If I run into corrupted lands particularly early, higher tier enemies with no prefix can give 60-120% on their own. Some yellow triangle prefixes give exponentially more experience than others because some of them give raw stats (Ancient, Wanted/Infamous/Villainous) while others only give secondary stats (Fleet-footed, Stiff-Necked).

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

Heavy neutrino posted:

Is there a list of the localization tweaks? I only caught two mistakes, myself -- Frieda's title 王女 (oujo) being translated as Queen (oujo means princess, and is not to be confused with 女王, joou, which does mean queen) and the "a spirit saved me n times" victory text, which was probably tasukeru/tasukaru taking the meaning of "help; assist" rather than "save; rescue."

So yeah if you were wondering why it's weird that the living king's daughter is a queen (it was strange enough that I felt the need to check it out), it was a small translation mistake; she's princess Frieda (フリーダ王女) in the original.

The princess -> Queen change was actually okayed by Smoking Wolf. We had long email threads about this. It's weird, but he liked Queen more. Thanks for the input, though!

Heavy neutrino posted:

Yeah; kill the darkness on inhumane + maniac modes, I think it is.

Edit: nope, that's not it. Do I need the secret party member?.

Edit 2: nope. Maybe I'm just completely insane and there's no such ending.

Such an ending does indeed exist. It was added in the update just before this last one. It's pretty awesome, too. Hopefully gets it and screencraps it at some point.

Heavy neutrino posted:

Speaking of which, thetrin, do you have an ETA for OWH+ or is it too far off still?

No ETA at the moment, sorry! Smoking Wolf is still adding all kinds of new stuff to the game, and because it's mostly a hobby endeavour for him, he's adding whatever pops into his head. I'm still not entirely sure when he'll stop adding stuff.

That said, Plus was playable at BitSummit, so a lot of what I listed in my post on the last page is already implemented and playable.

Korak posted:

Adding perks to the castle and other fun things is a really smart way to go. Keep more of the gamey parts in game. :)

I think I finally got my games worth of play on the game as it currently stands where I probably won't play every day. 45 hours! Pretty drat incredible for the price! Y'all really did an amazing job.

Thank you! I came in at the tail end of localization, but my coworker and Smoking Wolf did a fantastic job, for sure. We're really excited for Plus.

thetrin fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 18, 2014

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
On the subject of localization, I noticed on the Japanese wiki that Dosey's name is Nemuri (ネムリ). Was this just to make it sound more western?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

thetrin posted:

The princess -> Queen change was actually okayed by Smoking Wolf. We had long email threads about this. It's weird, but he liked Queen more. Thanks for the input, though!

Such an ending does indeed exist. It was added in the update just before this last one. It's pretty awesome, too. Hopefully gets it and screencraps it at some point.

Yeah; earlier I poked around WOLF's blog trying to find info about OWH+ and he addresses the same question from a Japanese player who tried out the English version. He prefers it that way in his setting for one reason or another. He's pretty tight lipped about the new stuff in +, but I managed to get a bit of information on new stuff from blog posts written by people who tried out the game at BitSummit. There's going to be several new classes (two of which are Ninja, based on criticals and side/back attacks, and Tourist, a weird class that starts with 0 to all stats but gains a fair bit of experience whenever they enter a town), new game modes, more story content, new mechanics, unlockable merchants in the starting castle, :siren:hotkeys:siren: and some sort of data transfer option from normal to + so you don't have to unlock classes and the like all over again. Also, the max Life cap of 999 is lifted for the player and recruitable NPCs, but I'm not sure how this is meaningful without a big change in mechanics because the player isn't going to hit 999 HP unless they're a class with big HP growth and the game has been going on for six hours.

As for the ending, well, it would be possible to screencap it if we knew how to get it. Give us a hint!

Devour or Fire posted:

On the subject of localization, I noticed on the Japanese wiki that Dosey's name is Nemuri (ネムリ). Was this just to make it sound more western?

I'm assuming it's a localization thing, since some other stuff that would make zero sense in English was also modified (Frieda makes a pun about being a fujoshi, the female analogue to the otaku, which is written in Chinese characters as "rotten girl"). Nemuri means sleep (the noun), so I'm assuming it was changed to Dosey to make it sound Western (since all names in the game are Western-ish) while still referencing an aspect of her personality.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Heavy neutrino posted:

and Tourist, a weird class that starts with 0 to all stats but gains a fair bit of experience whenever they enter a town)
Shop prices have to be multiplied by a stupidly high amount just for this guy :allears:

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Heavy neutrino posted:

Also, the max Life cap of 999 is lifted for the player and recruitable NPCs, but I'm not sure how this is meaningful without a big change in mechanics because the player isn't going to hit 999 HP unless they're a class with big HP growth and the game has been going on for six hours.

I've had Frieda hit that cap, but that's about how long it took, yes.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Yeah recruitable NPCs reach 999 pretty quickly, but for them it doesn't matter much because by the time they get there, their defense power has become so absurd that they take 50 damage from attacks that would one-shot the player.

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004
Is there any distance requirement on maybe the y-axis that would prevent the "holy item thisaway ->" notice from coming up, or is it also possible for a map seed to generate no holy shrines (for the first 2000km at least)? I didn't see a single shrine on the whole map or any notices when I was going through today's armor peddler campaign in YCWQXH. Regardless, Force User is quite a night-vs-day experience when you can get a Staff of Prayers early. Once you can get that, Phalanx, and/or Heal, not much besides Ultimate Dragons or Phantom Knights can take you down so long as you don't do anything terribly stupid. It's a little surprising even on Grueling that once you get a few levels and prayer staff you can one-shot most everything besides Phantom Knights with just Force Flame. Hotkeys can't come soon enough it feels.

Also, meditated Lightning in one of those small 2 chest dungeons is hysterical if you're willing to risk detonating any bombs inside the chests. :science:

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

Heavy neutrino posted:

I'm assuming it's a localization thing, since some other stuff that would make zero sense in English was also modified (Frieda makes a pun about being a fujoshi, the female analogue to the otaku, which is written in Chinese characters as "rotten girl"). Nemuri means sleep (the noun), so I'm assuming it was changed to Dosey to make it sound Western (since all names in the game are Western-ish) while still referencing an aspect of her personality.

Yep, it was a westernization. We wanted the names to still hold their double meaning in English, and calling Dosey Nemuri would have only made sense to about 1% of the people playing.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

E-Tap posted:

Is there any distance requirement on maybe the y-axis that would prevent the "holy item thisaway ->" notice from coming up, or is it also possible for a map seed to generate no holy shrines (for the first 2000km at least)? I didn't see a single shrine on the whole map or any notices when I was going through today's armor peddler campaign in YCWQXH. Regardless, Force User is quite a night-vs-day experience when you can get a Staff of Prayers early. Once you can get that, Phalanx, and/or Heal, not much besides Ultimate Dragons or Phantom Knights can take you down so long as you don't do anything terribly stupid. It's a little surprising even on Grueling that once you get a few levels and prayer staff you can one-shot most everything besides Phantom Knights with just Force Flame. Hotkeys can't come soon enough it feels.

Also, meditated Lightning in one of those small 2 chest dungeons is hysterical if you're willing to risk detonating any bombs inside the chests. :science:

Nope; you'll get the message regardless of how far off you are from the shrine vertically, and yes, the map generator tends to be very feast or famine in many situations (the only exception being that there seems to be approximately three Frieda prisons per 100km once you get past ~1000km). I've gone 8 consecutive areas without a single town, and it's really fun when the starting area has a bunch of big towns with merchants carrying kick-rear end equipment that you can't afford.

As for Force Users, they're massive once they get going, but the early game is extremely rough going if you're not using the vault. They're probably the most luck-dependent class in the game because they instantly go from weak-ish to broken if you just find a Staff of Prayers.

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004
Welp, attempting my first Maniac run on Grueling in today's Victor recruiting campaign in JG4GAG with a knight has turned out to be quite an amusing trip. Besides getting an early Training Bracelet and letting Victor (edit 2: forgot to mention he recruited as a Tough Victor as well) rack up the kills, there's a recruitable Frieda at 594km and Dosey in a town at 679km. Haven't seen a holy shrine yet, but I'll take notes of other useful landmarks on the way. Somewhere in the far north of one of the corrupted lands areas around 500km I think it is has a small village at the very top if you need to restock and don't have area maps handy. This should be a fun map to run around with on a bard as well later on.

Edit: There's also at least 2 elf villages by that point as well, but I forgot to jot down the distance markers when I ran past them, so a point or two in mountain climbing wouldn't be that bad an idea if you're on a class that doesn't gain it naturally.

Heavy neutrino posted:

Also, the max Life cap of 999 is lifted for the player and recruitable NPCs, but I'm not sure how this is meaningful without a big change in mechanics because the player isn't going to hit 999 HP unless they're a class with big HP growth and the game has been going on for six hours.
Well, this may be the case for recruitable NPCs, but it doesn't seem like player health has a similar limit unless this is some bizarre display bug or something. :stare:

E-Tap fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Mar 22, 2014

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Not sure if it was posted. DoT items open sealed doors and chests. Just haven't felt a need with having Frieda all the time.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Well, I learned my lesson on my latest force user run. Having three more Nayuta fruits is not worth giving up an axe as your channeling device. drat Phantom Knight.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I'm still pretty new to this, I managed to get an End of the World run. Could use a bit of advice, if anybody wants to come and give it.

http://hitbox.tv/jeckl

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It seems the Caledfwlch halves damage. If you are a Bard with a party, activate Defend and Phalanx, have absorbing armor and a shield, you might as well be immortal.

Play better.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 24, 2014

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

Scalding Coffee posted:

It seems the Caledfwlch halves damage. If you are a Bard with a party, activate Defend and Phalanx, have absorbing armor and a shield, you might as well be immortal.
Right up until you run past a dragon that can outspeed you or get ambushed by a fire-breathing special enemy that can go right through all that defense.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Smoking WOLF wrote up a new blog post last night where he said that most playtesters felt that OWH+ is pretty complete and ready for release and hinted that he feels that way, too, so we might get a release date soon-ish. Meanwhile, I've found a pretty comprehensive list of changes in the + version. I won't list them all because there's a lot of stuff in there, but I figure I'll convey what I could find out about the three new classes. If there's anything more you guys want to know about +, feel free to ask.

Force Knight
-Couldn't find all that much about them. Supposedly a balanced force/physical user, they'll get special force spells that power up their normal physical attacks.
-Balanced stats.

Ninja
-Supposed to be a really strong class with sharp drawbacks like the Hero, but according to feedback they were way too weak and WOLF was in the process of tuning them.
-Harder for enemies to detect, has the lockpick skill, and learns a bunch of special skills that consume max LIFE and max ST.
-Apparently these special skills range from creating throwing knifes to laying down traps and performing generic powerful attacks.

Tourist
-Replaces the adventurer as the "eh, I don't really want to win" class
-All stats start at 0.
-They have a "special mission" to write up a travel journal, and visiting any town will give them a fair bit of EXP.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I don't like the idea of nerfing throwing.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Heavy neutrino posted:

Tourist
-Replaces the adventurer as the "eh, I don't really want to win" class
The adventurer was never a hard class to play. :colbert:

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I tried to find the blog post and instead found Smoking WOLF explaining "they took our jerbs" from South Park because of the steam achievement.

Force knights sound cool since there's really only one class right now that can use force to any degree beyond the detection spells.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I don't suppose anyone got any tips for starting out as an Adventurer on Inhumane Maniac mode?
I've noticed that the character models on the main screen get more "solid" if you reach The End with them, so I'm trying to do that with all the classes to see if it has a connection to another secret ending. However, Adventurer is turning out to be quite difficult.

The fact that Agility doesn't give you extra movement turns in Maniac Mode seems to be the main problem, as it makes it way harder for hit-and-run tactics and running away.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 26, 2014

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

e: wrong thread

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Life bar for the Demon Lord seems to be front-loaded to appear that Maou has an incredibly massive amount. I wish I picked Hunter at this point. Must have over 200000, halfway to the end.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

I don't suppose anyone got any tips for starting out as an Adventurer on Inhumane Maniac mode?
I've noticed that the character models on the main screen get more "solid" if you reach The End with them, so I'm trying to do that with all the classes to see if it has a connection to another secret ending. However, Adventurer is turning out to be quite difficult.

The fact that Agility doesn't give you extra movement turns in Maniac Mode seems to be the main problem, as it makes it way harder for hit-and-run tactics and running away.

Adventurer is actually somewhat decent on Maniac. Just remember that casting Dash is always safe since it always instantly gives you a turn on Maniac.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

That took forever. Demon Lord hits for over 2000 to allies. Darkness dies in maybe five hits. Jades count as friendlies.

Jack Van Burace
Jun 4, 2003

Bumping this up after a month, but I'm only just now really getting into the game, and saw that at least one of the localizers posts here. So I really enjoy the game and I'm still working my way towards beating it on the hardest difficulties, but I was wondering how you recruit certain people. I've heard you can get Dark Lord on your team somehow, and on my last run with on Grueling with a Bard I saw a named character who the game implied I could recruit somehow, but he attacked me and I had to kill him instead. Is there some kind of item that allows you to recruit people who attack you?

Was also curious if that One Way Heroics+ thing is going to get localized, or if that's not known yet.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Buddy Tablets. You can recruit Maou after you damaged the Darkness.

edit: Spoiler goes on both ends.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 29, 2014

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
Acquiring them: You can rarely find them in shops or as loot, but the easiest way is to get two in Dosey's quest.

Mordecai fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 4, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
First win in less than ten games, is that normal?

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Yeah, you can finish the game really quickly if you pick Normal, get a moderately decent weapon and burn all your Awakenings on the Demon Lord when he first appears. Then again, that's not really the point of the game and getting the other endings is a lot harder and timeconsuming.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No, I punched them to death :v:

I had 4 levels of the UC perk and I think one use of Awakening? I only thought to pop Berserk a couple attacks before the end.

Got a holy weapon from a sealed place and just carried it the entire game, tossed it into the vault at the end. Didn't really see any kind of story stuff pop up along the way. Hopefully I find it in the next difficulty. Not sure which of the classes I unlocked I want to try first.

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Tollymain posted:

No, I punched them to death :v:

I had 4 levels of the UC perk and I think one use of Awakening? I only thought to pop Berserk a couple attacks before the end.

Got a holy weapon from a sealed place and just carried it the entire game, tossed it into the vault at the end. Didn't really see any kind of story stuff pop up along the way. Hopefully I find it in the next difficulty. Not sure which of the classes I unlocked I want to try first.

The endings at the higher difficulties start to reveal more and more of whats REALLY going on, so yeah.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
You also get more story for winning with allies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do I get Force Power stuff?

• Locked thread