Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
As a point of curiosity, was 2D still screen capture (not video) from a 3DS XL ever possible? Did the guy who enabled the Kid Icarus LP or a competitor expand to the XL at any point? I'm about to sell mine and deleted my eShop account and all I own in the process but I was just curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Why would you delete your eShop account?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Uh, because it says you have to when you transfer ownership of the device, and also because I am an idiot. I'll see myself out and cry bitterly into the hole where my money once was

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Captain Walker posted:

As a point of curiosity, was 2D still screen capture (not video) from a 3DS XL ever possible? Did the guy who enabled the Kid Icarus LP or a competitor expand to the XL at any point? I'm about to sell mine and deleted my eShop account and all I own in the process but I was just curious.

There's a competitor: http://www.3dsvideocapture.com/product-list/4

It's listed as a "kit", but you can tell him to assemble it for free.

EDIT: sorry, just noticed that the demo image is a gratuitous pantyshot image. The device works, though.

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

:siren: EntranceJew's Beautiful Guide for Audaciter & Handsome People :siren:

Do you wanna do captions in audacity? Really easily? Okay! Thanks to the Audaciter we can do that!

To begin, we're going to need audacity loaded up with some audio.

Select some audio in our first track.

Now hit <Ctrl+b> to make a label that spans the duration of our selection.

We can type text here for our subtitle. The label track will appear wherever so drag it up to be in line with the appropriate audio track.

We have to do this for all of our commentary tracks.

Now that we have labeled all the audio, we can export the label tracks through File -> Export Labels

Now we can upload them and convert them to .srt files with the Audaciter!

Now we just save the output file:

Open it up:

Bam! Perfectly timed (compressed) subtitles!

EntranceJew fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 9, 2013

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Suspicious Dish posted:

The AverMedia card I have has a legit no-delay passthrough. Too bad it stinks at recording stuff.

Right, my Elgato has a no-delay passthrough, so do most devices. As far as I know, that won't change whether you use an internal capture card or an external capture device.

WitherSnow
Dec 7, 2013
I have many problems...

But let's start with the technical ones.

Im trying to record a game called Mother 3.
The problem i have is that it does some frame skipping.
The combat system in the game requires you to have it running well.
The game is an RPG with a unique battle system.
I really wanna show this game off. It's a game that Nintendo refuses to localize.

Screen recorder: BlueBerryFlashbackExpress
Im just gonna give a warning that i am COMPLETELY clueless.
Thank you for reading!

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I still use a standard tv with it, I just was curious more for streams, due to the audio having to compensate for the delay. I guess I could just set a delay on when the recording starts though.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Just a check to make sure I'm not blind, there's no difference in quality between this image:

and this one:

correct? Source image is this:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The top one seems a little darker in places (the gradient on the wall behind the woman, for instance), but quality-wise they look the same to me.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Lance Streetman posted:

Just a check to make sure I'm not blind, there's no difference in quality between [snip]

I can't see a difference between the two, but the text in both of them looks blurry to me.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
They both look terrible, yes.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

They look the same, but not like they should:

How did you get the screens?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

They look the same, but not like they should:

How did you get the screens?

Enlarged by 200% in Irfanview. I assume there's a setting that needs to be switched somewhere, but I can't find anything.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Untick Resample. It says better quality, but that's a terrible lie.

(At least in this case.)

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

Untick Resample. It says better quality, but that's a terrible lie.

(At least in this case.)

So more like this?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah, that looks right.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

WitherSnow posted:

I have many problems...

But let's start with the technical ones.

Im trying to record a game called Mother 3.
The problem i have is that it does some frame skipping.
The combat system in the game requires you to have it running well.
The game is an RPG with a unique battle system.
I really wanna show this game off. It's a game that Nintendo refuses to localize.

Screen recorder: BlueBerryFlashbackExpress
Im just gonna give a warning that i am COMPLETELY clueless.
Thank you for reading!

You can record with your emulator most likely. If you're not using VBA-M or VBA-Rerecord, I suggest you use those and use the built in AVI recorder.

WitherSnow
Dec 7, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

You can record with your emulator most likely. If you're not using VBA-M or VBA-Rerecord, I suggest you use those and use the built in AVI recorder.

I tried to use VisualBoyAdvance's video recorder. It frameskips when it was recording and got desynched in media player.

I completely forgot to mention this.

My question to slowbeef on ask.fm:
Should i join SA. I wanna LP the sequel to Earthbound. (Mother 3) I wanna do it on SA. The screen rec' i use now causes frameskip. I would use the recorder's pause button to cut out old enimies. Any screen recorder that has a pause and records well? Also any advice?

Slowbeef says:
Get an emulator that records its own video for the best quality, I found. Cut old enemies after the fact in post recording. If you have to jump-cut, okay, but at least go for a fade-in/fade-out (remember the audio) for a smoother transition.
Good LPs tend to have some elevator pitch to them. Are you good at Mother 3? Is it an expert playthrough? Even if it's not, there should be some reason beyond "I want to play Mother 3."

There are some other recording options. In a bit i will try them.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Don't use regular VBA, get VBA-rr or VBA-M.

https://code.google.com/p/vba-rerecording/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/vbam/

I'm not sure which one has more solid AVI recording, try both. Using in-emulator recording should remove all PC-related frameskips as well (but not frameskips due to improper emulation or actual in-game lag!).

That said, Mother 3 surprisingly GBA-hardware-intensive, so you may have some minor issues still.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
VisualBoyAdvance's built-in AVI Recorder sucks compared to other emulators', unfortunately. You may want to try some of the branches of the emulator, like VBA-Rerecording or VBA-M and see if the AVI recording is better on them. I thought I've heard that one of these emulator branches fixes AVI Recording to not suck, but I can't find anything to confirm that.

e: beaten

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I know it's pretty well agreed upon that the HD PVR's composite recording is garbage, so what's the preferred SD capture method? Is the BlackMagic Intensity (or any other HD capture device that also has SD inputs) any better for it, or would doing SD and HD necessitate two separate capture devices?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

frozentreasure posted:

I know it's pretty well agreed upon that the HD PVR's composite recording is garbage, so what's the preferred SD capture method? Is the BlackMagic Intensity (or any other HD capture device that also has SD inputs) any better for it, or would doing SD and HD necessitate two separate capture devices?

I think Elgato's supposed to have passable SD capture, but I need to test that myself.

WitherSnow posted:

I tried to use VisualBoyAdvance's video recorder. It frameskips when it was recording and got desynched in media player.

I completely forgot to mention this.

My question to slowbeef on ask.fm:
Should i join SA. I wanna LP the sequel to Earthbound. (Mother 3) I wanna do it on SA. The screen rec' i use now causes frameskip. I would use the recorder's pause button to cut out old enimies. Any screen recorder that has a pause and records well? Also any advice?

Slowbeef says:
Get an emulator that records its own video for the best quality, I found. Cut old enemies after the fact in post recording. If you have to jump-cut, okay, but at least go for a fade-in/fade-out (remember the audio) for a smoother transition.
Good LPs tend to have some elevator pitch to them. Are you good at Mother 3? Is it an expert playthrough? Even if it's not, there should be some reason beyond "I want to play Mother 3."

There are some other recording options. In a bit i will try them.

Hmmm... Most of us here in the LP forum would probably think that a screenshot LP would be best for presenting Mother 3, so if you're going that route, maybe you could just take screenshots as you play? It'd be annoying to catch specific frames of animation that you'd want to show off (see Epee Em's archived Battle Network LPs for a few examples), but you could always just turn on the AVI recording for those animations and GIF em after the fact.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

ChaosArgate posted:

I think Elgato's supposed to have passable SD capture, but I need to test that myself.

remind me to capture myself failing at F-Zero GX, I imagine that'd be a good test. Right?

WitherSnow
Dec 7, 2013
I personally would like to do a vlp of the game.
Mother 3 runs well when im just playing it without recording.
As i said there are a few vid options so if they suck i will look into downloading one of those.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

WitherSnow posted:

I personally would like to do a vlp of the game.
Mother 3 runs well when im just playing it without recording.
As i said there are a few vid options so if they suck i will look into downloading one of those.

Alright, my next question is are you trying to record live commentary in audacity while using VBA's recorder?

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Has anyone tried vaporsynth? For those who haven't heard of it, it's a python plugin that allows you to script video files ala avisynth. I've had a quick look just to test if it works on my system, so I'm not too sure how much power it has behind it, but it looks good so far. He's claimed to have implemented all the native plugins and filters, with ports for a few third party ones too. Could turn out to be pretty great, getting the features of avisynth with the scripting power of python. It's also cross-platform and architecture too I believe, which is especially appreciated seeing as non-windows support has been limited in the past and avisynth itself hasn't been updated in years.

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

sharktamer posted:

Has anyone tried vaporsynth?

I was very interested in it, considering Avisynth has a weird scope -- but from my understanding the regular tools like avspmod and megui should be able to work with it? The website isn't very clear about what to do after you've gotten the script set up, aside from just dumping a file. I think it'd be very worthwhile to make it a new standard after we can push out some tutorials for it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
vapoursynth doesn't do audio. That's why we can't use it for video editing yet.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Hokay, just here to ask... what's going wrong with this footage? The game is Jet Ion GP on the PS2, and I've captured this with an EasyCap EZ Gamer 116... It's been resized (Lanczos), but the source footage has the same phenomena.

Footage in question

I mean, it doesn't look terrible, but it's definitely not what the TV's showing, and I'm wondering how I might be able to improve it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

JamieTheD posted:

Hokay, just here to ask... what's going wrong with this footage? The game is Jet Ion GP on the PS2, and I've captured this with an EasyCap EZ Gamer 116... It's been resized (Lanczos), but the source footage has the same phenomena.

Footage in question

I mean, it doesn't look terrible, but it's definitely not what the TV's showing, and I'm wondering how I might be able to improve it.

I'm thinking it's either your cables are bad or your capture device is bad.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm thinking it's either your cables are bad or your capture device is bad.

Ah, so it's a tossup, then. Oh well, plenty of time to figure out which/get a new capture card if I win the lotto or something!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

That looks like Composite capture. Composite is old and awful, use S-Video at the very least. Also make sure you properly deinterlace.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

That looks like Composite capture. Composite is old and awful, use S-Video at the very least. Also make sure you properly deinterlace.

It is composite, and the card has an S-Video interface, the TV too... but the PS2 doesn't. So should I be getting an S-Video cable to go between the front of the telly (output, I'm assuming) to the card?

EDIT: As you might have guessed, completely new to this.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

That wouldn't help, you need to get a PS2 S-Video cable. Do *not* get a multi-console video cable, as those usually have terrible quality, find a PS2-only one, and read the reviews for the cable.

The PS2's AV out is the same as the PS3 and (I think) PS1 AV out, so if you find a PS3 S-Video cable that should work too.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

The PS2's AV out is the same as the PS3 and (I think) PS1 AV out, so if you find a PS3 S-Video cable that should work too.

I have used a ps1 composite AV out on a PS3 before. So yes, it is the same type of port on the back of the 3 systems.

WitherSnow
Dec 7, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Alright, my next question is are you trying to record live commentary in audacity while using VBA's recorder?

Im just trying to start making a good recording. I tried "movie recording". It went great! Now im trying to use DXtory. I need to export it. I wonder if i can attach the video file.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

WitherSnow posted:

Im just trying to start making a good recording. I tried "movie recording". It went great! Now im trying to use DXtory. I need to export it. I wonder if i can attach the video file.

Upload it to Youtube if you want us to see how it looks or upload it to MediaFire/Dropbox so we can download the source. Also, what capture codec are you using to record?

Edit: Before I forget, with the new Miiverse update allowing 3DS users to take screenshots of games that allow it, would that be a decent way of doing an SSLP?

WitherSnow
Dec 7, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Upload it to Youtube if you want us to see how it looks or upload it to MediaFire/Dropbox so we can download the source. Also, what capture codec are you using to record?

Edit: Before I forget, with the new Miiverse update allowing 3DS users to take screenshots of games that allow it, would that be a decent way of doing an SSLP?

How would that work?
1. Mother 3 is a GBA game.
2. There has not been a localization to my knowledge.
3.I kinda wanna do video.

Also the way i record is with Blueberry Flashback Express. It has it's own type of vid file and player. I then use the exporting feature. So i don't really know what codec it is or what a codec is. ( I have a general idea.)

Edit: I will have to export it with a different program first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Sorry, that was a more general question and not specifically towards your Mother 3 tech support. By codec, I meant when you're using the emulator and click on AVI Record, after you select the place you want to save your video, a window pops up and asks you what kind of compression you want to use when recording. What compression method were you using? Was it the default uncompressed option?