Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
If i take the raw avi file of unedited footage and encode that to X264, and then start editing that to make the complete video, will i create problems or bad quality by re-encoding it at X264 when im done editing? Is there a better way to do that? Basically i wanna have some batches of unedited footage lying around and also save the unedited footage for possible use later, but it takes up so much space in its original form.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Should you deinterlace gaming content when you use youtube as a host? My 1080p footage is a bit more blurry than what i uploaded, trying to figure out if there is something i can do.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

frozentreasure posted:

Use a different deinterlace method? Can you show a comparison? In any case, yes.

Unless it happens automatically, i don't think i deinterlaced at all on the first test video. I'm encoding a version where i have pressed "Field options">"Always deinterlace" on all my clips in Adobe Premiere Pro right now. I'm very new, but i'm having a lot of fun learning :)

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

cKnoor posted:

What version of Premiere are you using? I any case Field options should be set to none, you only use the other options when using videos from certain type of video cameras. It's not used to game footage.

7.0. I guess youtube messes a bit with the quality when it prosesses the video tho, all other 1080p game footage i could find out there had a bit of blurryness to it.

Also i have no capture devices going on, only used Fraps with the options specified in the OP.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

cKnoor posted:

What do you define as blurry? Uploading videos to youtube will be transcoded by youtube so you'll always lose some quality that way. However it's very hard to judge if what you're describing is due to youtube or if there's something you can do to improve the quality on your end.

You need to give us more information, and if you have been doing any de-interlacing you should stop it right away, Fraps does not give you interlaced video.

First i recorded the footage (Planetside 2) with fraps at 1920x1080 which is my resolution ingame, at 30 fps. Then i did my edits in Premiere, not really touching anything that would degrade quality i think, just adding my commentary, making a intro/outro, adding some music here and there. Then i exported the video using H.264 and these settings here: http://whoismatt.com/exportsettings/ and uploaded the product to youtube.

I have since deleted the youtube video, but this video here from Wrel is almost exactly the quality i got, a bit blurry around the edges and aspecially the text: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPhY29qWThE which kinda points in favor of it just being a youtube thing.

For my next upload im trying to grasp using the MEGui plugin and a frameserver like in your tutorial in the OP tho.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

cKnoor posted:

If you followed those settings exactly you'de get a bunch of frameblending which might have cause your blur. The video you posted is 720P so it's not going to look as crisp as a 1080p video. That said though from what I can see that youtube video looks "normal" for a 720p youtube video.

My tutorial doesn't work for Premiere CC as the debugmode frameserver doesn't like CC all that much. So you might have to export a losslesss avi file instead and run that through MEGui.

Edit: So I did some googling and there seems to be a frameserver that might work with CC. Debugmode's frameserver is 32-bit where as (at least my install of) Premiere CC is 64-bit, well someone took the time to port the debugmode frameserver to 64-bit and made a CS5 plugin for it. I can't really test it myself right now as I'm exporting a bunch of stuff, but you can download it over here.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/advancedfs/

Thanks, currently neck deep in Avisynth and MeGUI tutorials.

What setting caused the frameblending so i know what to watch out for? Also out of curiosity, what makes the Adobe Premiere encoder a worse choice? Does it produce bad encoded footage or does it take too long to do it?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Have you guys had a look at "Shadowplay" by the way? The "Nvidia record and take up way less space and use up less FPS" thing, to the layman i gotta say it looks kinda cool, but also a bit too good to be true?

http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2013/10/18/shadowplay/

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Let me ask you guys some audioadvice. If you have a commentarytrack which is largely spoken at the same volume, no Pewdiepie screams or anything, is there anything to be gained by compressing it in Audacity? Will that be more pleasant to listen to, or just unnatural?

Second question, also about compression, pretty much the same question. Vice versa, is there anything to be gained by compressing the game audio to get a more even audioexperience, or might that also be jarring and bland? I did this with a testing video earlier, it seemed fairly okay aslong as i manually boosted some key moments like exposition and scripted explosions in that case. But i don't know, having a battle here with pleasant viewing VS original experience.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I guess there's no setting i can tick that will stop Youtube from turning my 2.6gig crisp and clear 1080p video into a 366mb blurry mess?

Frapsed in full resolution at 30 fps, encoded in MeGUI to H264 at 18CRF at "Slower", fileformat RAWAVC then MUX'ed to mp4 with the audiofile.
Video in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXlCvLy-Atc, should link directly to a point in the video (6:44) where you see youtube compensating (?) or something and making aspeically the nearby grass a blurry mess.

Edit: I can't seem to make it link to a specific time, SA just deletes that portion of the link, jump to 6:44 in the video. Out from there watch the ground and etc when I start moving, it just blurs up horribly.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

frozentreasure posted:

Can you screenshot what the original looks like? Sure that's not motion blur being turned on? In any case, I don't think there's really anything you can do if it's happening once it's uploaded to YouTube.

Fun fact: YouTube doesn't actually keep 1080p anymore. The same way that what it calls "480p" is upscaling of 360p, 1080p is upscaling from 720. Not sure what happens if you upload something above 1080p that would give the "Original" quality setting though.

Sure, here's a movement screenshot of the fully encoded and finished vid before uploading to youtube:

I don't have motion blur on, no. So like, going by what you are saying, if i make a 720p video instead and upload that, i would actually see a increase in quality?

Xenoveritas posted:

Apparently the only way to get 1080p video on YouTube is when using DASH. Which can "intelligently" determine the bitrate it gives you, meaning that whatever you see may not be what other people see.

I don't quite understand, do you mean that my connection might be giving me a quality worse than a person with a better connection would get? Cause that would explain why Youtube seemingly got worse for me when i was forced to switch to a wireless connection.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 17, 2013

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Xenoveritas posted:

Exactly. What DASH does is basically split the video into a ton of small chunks, and then for each chunk makes copies at different resolutions and bitrates. When playing back, DASH decides how "good" your connection is and picks the next chunk based on that. In theory this means that on a slow connection you can still stream the video at a lower bitrate, while on a faster connection, you'll use a higher bitrate.

In practice YouTube seems to randomly decide I'm on dial up and refuses to give me anything other than blurry crap.

Interesting. Well! Seems i just have to cross my fingers that other people get better quality than i get then and stop battling Youtubes awful system. If i wanna like buffer a 2gig vid on a 56k modem or something that should be my choice :v:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Redundant posted:

Another quick shadowplay question here. Is it possible to have a guest commentator during streams whilst using it? At the moment the only options are game audio or game + mic but is there a way of tricking it into using a Skype call instead or something?

To add to the Shadowplay discussion, would anyone ITT be able to upload a Fraps vs Shadowplay comparison? Really would love to see something i know won't be edited or biased.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I accidently put in about 5 minutes of black screen at the end of a fully encoded and finished video. Is it possible to just delete the last 5 minutes without having to go through the lenghty re-encoding somehow?

Premiere Pro with Frameserver/MeGUI is what i usually use.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

JamieTheD posted:

Well, if you're uploading it to youtube or something like that, it has a built in editor that can, last I checked, trim video. Does that count?

Ah, yeah, of course! That'll work probably, thanks!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

frozentreasure posted:

He's just admitted that he doesn't care that he's being an rear end in a top hat, can somebody with plat report him already?

"Thank you, but this thread has already been reported recently!"

To add to the Shadowplay and desync question, I don't know if this helps you at all, but I have no desync issues. Maybe its a hardware/software combo on your end? I have a GTX 770 if that is relevant.

Edit: Anyone know how to make Shadowplay record one single large file instead of multiple small ones again? Seems it something they changed it to do in the latest patch and its awful.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Psion posted:

It looks to me like it's recording up to the FAT32 4GB limit, but I did some cursory searching and it looks like this is nVidia half-baking the feature - apparently, according to the official forums (the sacrifices I make for this thread) it's an issue on Windows 7 and not Windows 8 because of the muxer it uses to make the MP4s. Windows default instead of bringing their own, or something?

the official line, by the way, is this:

D: Hope they wake up soon and get some proper stuff for Windows 7 in there soon then, cause i'm skipping Windows 8. Oh well, sticking with Fraps for now then.