Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I'm having issues with capturing screens for an older PC game; I wondered if anyone else had run into a similar problem. I'm using Irfanview to capture the screens. For some reason the menu shots look fine:

But the in-game shots look horrible:

I'm still pretty new at this, and honestly, I have no idea what to do here. The game LOOKS fine when I play it. When I capture the screens, though, it turns to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

WitherSnow posted:

BlueBerry Flashback Express records fine but it can cause lag, frameskip and other problems.

I hear Fraps records fine but im not 100% sure.

I've never used either. I was attempting to capture video with VirtualDub but all I got out of it was a mostly black screen with a splash of rainbow pixels.

(I'm still trying to learn VirtualDub off of the tutorials in the OP, though).

Psion posted:

You capture in PNG and convert to JPEG later, right? I ask because that second image looks like someone took an image with greater than 256 colors and converted it to 256 ... poorly.

Basically show me your irfanview options. Are you capturing in PNG-8? If so, try setting to PNG-24 and see if that changes it (I don't know if Irfanview uses exactly those terms, but something like it) - or as a test, capture in JPEG native - does that change?

It comes out the same (sometimes worse) no matter which format I use.

Here's my Irfanview capture options:

I don't know if picture compression is like audio compression. Is no compression good if I want just the raw output to edit later? There doesn't seem to be a PNG-8 or PNG-24 option.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Geemer posted:

Some old games do this for some weird reason. StarCraft is known to do it as well, but has a key combo to capture screenshots. You could see if your game has one too.

:psyduck: This was the issue. I'm getting screenshots I can edit just fine now. Thanks.

Specifically, hitting the "Print Screen" button automatically saves and stores screenshots in a hidden sub-folder in my Program Files. Go figure.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Sorry, but some variation of this comes up like every page.

It's a pretty big OP. Not hard for someone new to miss something.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Yeah, just crop images from screenshots. That seems to work just fine. The difficulty is finding a screenshot that adequately shows of the character in questions without looking too crowded/distorted.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Listen to Mega64 and Admiral H. Curtiss. I've all of my SSLPs by manually taking the screenshots and manually copy/pasting portraits in threads.

I have wasted so much of my time.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Yes.

And it happened. I occasionally copy/pasted what I had into a Notepad file and saved it, but really I should've been asking how other people were doing it because I made way too much work for myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Delphisage posted:

Is this thread a means of asking questions to Blastinus?

No such thread exists. Generally if you want to communicate directly with a user you'd PM them.