Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Has anyone tried out VB-Cable?

My current audio output pushes default audio out the speakers, and VoIP through the headphone jack. I have a Turtle Beach X12 headset, so I have dual audio control on that and can adjust on the fly.

The resulting problem is that when I stream is that I can only collect output from either Mumble or the Game, but not both. Goon Kilonum suggested I take a look at Virtual Audio Cable, though it seems to be far more complex than what I will probably need (and more expensive than I'd like to pay). I just spotted VB-Cable today while at work and am wondering if anyone has had any experience with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

EntranceJew posted:

I just took a look at it and it would be a viable source if you used only needed one virtual audio sink. It could probably service multiple sinks with some minor alterations. The only thing it is missing that VAC has is the alluded-to ability to have multiple sinks and the ability to duplicate the contents of one into another. If you use Windows' listen-on you can circumvent the shortcomings of this for streaming purposes.

For example, my default audio device is line 1 where the game and mumble audio goes into. With OBS, I can mux my mic in separately so I don't need a repeater. It doesn't make sense for you to have your audio coming out of your speakers and your headset. If your default device is set to line 1 and you start all applications after setting it as your default, they should all show up through there.

I want to split the audio because I have dual volume control on my headset; I don't want to alt-tab when someone loud comes on VoIP or the game is loud and I can't hear people talk. If the audio comes out two jacks, I can control them separately to suit the situation.

I don't think I made my point correctly because I am a silly goose, but here's a flowchart that might help:

The red and blue outputs go to my dual-volume headphones, and the purple output is what I'd like to send to OBS. Unfortunately it's sounding like I'll need to use VAC to actually do something like this. (Note: I realize that I could just output to the same device and be done with it, but I'm hoping there is an elegant solution to this, I can't be the first one with the problem)

So, you may have actually answered my question more than I thought, but I don't actually understand what "mux" is -- is it multiplexing, or combining the audio into one stream?

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 5, 2013

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Nidoking posted:

"Mux" is an abbreviation of "multiplex", which is any operation that combines multiple inputs into a single output. It looks like what you want to do is mux two audio sources together while still retaining the ability to listen to them separately on audio devices. VAC can do that for you. I don't know about the other program, but it looks like that one depends on the Windows 7 audio forwarding, which is a bit less robust than VAC.

That is exactly what I want to do. Is VAC the only thing that can manage this, or are you familiar with anything else? I have seen "JACK" thrown around as well as ASIO, but I don't get the feeling ASIO is friendly to native Windows apps. Thanks for your advice.