Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Had to fish it up, but PureRok did a neat video on creating a GIF using VirtualDub in conjunction with Photoshop. For simpler cases, you can straight-up import a video and grab frames in Photoshop while forgoing the VD steps, but this is a perfectly fine approach. I think it's a great primer on GIF-creating :v: It's what got me properly rolling on the topic. Of course, you'd need to run it by him before tacking it in to one of the posts! Also, Niggurath's approach is new to me! Never heard of that bit of software.

On the topic of xSplit vs OBS, bisousbisous is right. xSplit is a resource hog, and (last I checked) isn't free. OBS is free, lightweight, and just as flexible. There are lots of features being added all the time, as well! When I've got some time, I might do a streaming tutorial video using it (if we need something like that).

Regarding paid video editing software packages, I'd say go with Premiere over Vegas. Not sure if this would fit in anywhere, but Vegas has a heavier reliance on presets and such. I used it for a spell a few years ago, and it seemed as though it tried to railroad me. I dunno, it felt claustrophobic. Premiere, on the other hand, is a lot more flexible and I'm quite fond of it by this point! :v: Vegas is still doable for editing, of course; I just didn't like how it felt, so to speak. The BIGGEST problem I've seen, however, is that folks will export in Vegas (lossless or otherwise) and end up with ghosting. Vegas' defaults seem to toggle frame-blending with reckless abandon :staredog: It's a pretty common thing I've seen crop up in the past.

Also, I'll give Audacity a quick tutorial runthrough. There are a few minor things that need to be covered, but I think some other items should be touched on (ie: audio etiquette and such. Y'know, balancing audio levels, making auto-ducking more gradual, etc).

Geop fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Dec 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Something else I remembered about xSplit; when I was using it, there were a lot of compatibility issues with ATI cards. This might've been addressed, but I do know that my usual laptop for recording wouldn't play ball with it. Someone else who's used it more recently can probably confirm/deny this.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I've heard good things about the Elgato compared to the Happauge HD PVR 2 :v: Tempted to take the plunge on it, honestly.

Also, recording on the PS3 using HDMI isn't really what I'd consider dodgy/illegal given what most users here would be doing with it. Heck, this is listed out in the open on Amazon.

Haven't done much testing, but I'm seeing occasional video artifacts while recording. It might be due to that doodad showing its age or my HD PVR 2 is crapping itself. I've heard the Elgato comes with its own adapter to record PS3/4 HDMI footage, however.

Geop fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 1, 2014

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

Here's a video that has the desync issues. Also there seems to be an issue with skipping a huge segment?

Desync test, spoilers for Metal Gear Rising final boss.
Take a look near loading screens for worsening desync. I've had lots of issues with the PVR 2 dropping frames when the screen goes black (ie: loading screen). It ends up with the video track being a little bit shorter than the audio, and, over time, it gets progressively worse.

judge reinhold posted:

I upgraded from a PVR 2 to the Elgato after one of my recordings came out bizarrely mangled. It's smaller and the software is not quite as bloated as the PVR 2, so that's a plus. I have a mess of cables so I'm not sure what came from which device, but there's some gizmo that converts component into s-video.
Between weird artifacting and just goofy desync issues (see above), I'm willing to jettison the PVR 2 :( I actually had better luck with the PVR 1; the only reason I got this was because I wanted to record via HDMI.

Geop fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 1, 2014

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

frozentreasure posted:

Something to keep in mind about Premiere, though, is that it can't handle raw Fraps files, you'd have to convert them to Lagarith or something else for it to not crash if you tried to put one into your project.

Also, what's the stance on recommending emulators? It's not talking about ROM piracy, but there's no section for it in the OP and nobody says anything about them.
Yeah, I haven't had Fraps issues in the past, either. Maybe your free space isn't that big? Premiere can grow a pretty massive cache at times.

I don't think specifically discussing emulators is an issue. I mean, there are emulator threads in the Games subforum (ie: for PS2), so it shouldn't be a problem as long as you aren't discussing roms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Xenoveritas posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure any of the mods really read this thread.
GET DUNKED ON, PUNK :smugdog: