Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
It's a bit late for this to be useful, but Nintendo does make a first-party component cable. It's the same one for the Wii and the Wii U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Jerry-rigged? That's a strange word to use for either using Audacity to export the audio in exactly the format you want (the correct method) or using Avisynth filters to convert monaural audio to stereo. Why FFAudioSource anyway? I've never had a problem with WavSource for .wav, and I'm pretty sure BassAudioSource (in my opinion, a must for any editor's toolkit) would handle .ogg.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Uhm. Is there maybe a limit to how many times FFAudioSourced files are supposed to be called in a single AVS script? Because maybe that's what's causing this, in retrospect?

I've seen errors like that when improperly importing scripts into other scripts... you're not calling FFAudioSource on the same file every time you want to reference it, are you? Or are you FFAudioSource-ing more than a few files in one script? Either way, that is a bad workflow.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Mine updated on the second day I tried, but in two parts - I think it tried to apply the data update before the core update somehow, and since the core version wasn't up to date, that failed. It also apparently removed the Avisynth libraries, but when I restarted MeGUI, it found everything it needed and seems to run fine.

The first day I tried, it looked just like what you have there. Apparently, they've added the latest version to their XML manifest, but it's only intermittently available on the server. This is making me worried about the fact that it actually updated, but I guess there's nothing I can do unless it actually fails to do something. Anyway, if you copy that URL from the start of the log and just go to it, you can see the full file list on the server. If the megui-core_2500.zip ever shows up, then you should be able to update.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

It might be possible to download the latest packages that actually are at http://megui.xvidvideo.ru/auto/stable/ and manually extract the files to the appropriate places as a temporary measure.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Sorry to double-post, but another word of warning about the MeGUI update: it seems to have uninstalled some components and messed with a few settings. I encoded some DOSBox videos properly and thought all was well, but when I went to encode a video from my HD-PVR, it failed to load the AC3 audio - neither DirectShow nor BassAudio/NicAudio could load it. I think I've fixed the problem by reinstalling AC3Filter from the web, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if there are other source types that have been messed up. It also switched the File Indexer from the old DGA one to FFMSIndex, but I switched it back and can only hope my workflow won't change as a result. That option may only have existed because I went into the Update dialog and re-enabled a bunch of disabled components, so that's something to look into.

Full disclosure: I also had to blow away and reinstall my NVidia drivers because the latest one fails for no particularly discernible reason, so that could potentially have messed with my DirectShow settings. Why that would kill AC3 audio specifically, I can't imagine, but if it did, then you may or may not have the same issue if you get the MeGUI update to work. My advice is to skip the update and watch for news that it's been fixed before proceeding.

While I'm on the subject of upgrades, has anyone been working with the Avisynth 2.6 alpha? It was only recently, while attempting to do some audio editing in Avisynth, that I discovered a TrimAudio filter that was introduced in 2.6 that would have been perfect for what I was doing, and allows Trims based on time rather than frame numbers. (The usual method of AudioDubbing the audio clip onto a BlankClip and trimming by frames worked, but is extra work that I'd rather not do if I don't have to.) I'd upgrade, but I don't want to switch away from something that works (see first paragraph) and I'd like to know whether it's stable and reliable. Also, the last time I checked, it hadn't been updated in a few years... is anyone still working on it?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Okay, back with more stupidity. I managed to record and hopefully edit the video the way I wanted to using OBS, now I have issues adding the audio. OP workflow thingy tells me I should use Virtualdub to extract it - while this sort of works, Audacity doesn't open the resulting file and if I use the option for loading unprocessed data, it just gives me static.
Virtualdub also refuses to play the file on account of missing an audio decompressor - I went digging around the internet and tried several, but nothing helped so far - I guess what I'm asking is a bit more in-depth description of extracting the audio in a way Audacity would accept it.

The way I always do this, because I edit my videos in Avisynth, is to source the files in the usual way, then load the script into Virtualdub and use that to export the WAV file of the sound using Direct File Copy. That works in everything.

For MP4 files, I start with the MeGUI File Indexer. That extracts an audio file directly, so Audacity might be able to read that depending on the format. My workflow corrects for me editing the video between importing to Avisynth and exporting the WAV, but it sounds like you won't need to do that.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Tendales posted:

Quick subtitling question that I just can't seem to find the answer to. I'm using Aegisub, and in a few spots I have continuous lines. Currently, it displays the first line, and then displays the second line over it. I'd like it to display the first line higher, and display the second line below it. What's the easiest way to accomplish that?

The easiest way is to move the first subtitle higher up on the screen. There are tools for doing that on the left side of the window.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Humerus posted:

I am having absolutely no luck getting my Dreamcast to record. I picked up a capture card today from Microcenter (Sabrent, it had decent reviews), and nothing seems to work just right to get my Dreamcast recording. If I use OBS and set the capture card as the device, all I get is audio. If I use VLC to view the captured video/audio, it looks like poo poo and is totally out of sync. Virtualdub looks fine, but is also desynced. Is there a program that does nothing but capture the input from a capture card, and then I could just use OBS to record that? Or some other thing I'm not thinking through here? I've been googling around all night and trying just about everything.

Can you not just use Virtualdub to do the recording? As long as you set the right capture framerate, there shouldn't be any desync problems that can't be solved by shifting framerates in post.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Humerus posted:

I should note that even in the DC's menu it all runs at around 15-20fps as well, so it's not just slowdown from a game.

Wait... so your Dreamcast is running slow? That's not on your capture equipment... you have a defective console if that's what's happening. I'm going to assume you're just talking about the preview on your PC, in which case the problem is that you're attempting to play using the preview on your PC. Don't do that. Never do that. Either get an external monitor/TV and split the video cable so you can see what you're doing on the TV while you record, or plug the split cable into another input on your TV and switch to that while you play, then switch back when you're done.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Youtube also has a new message when I upload MP4s telling me that the encoding will go faster if I encode to a streamable format. I haven't tested MKV to see whether it likes that better, since I'm in the middle of an LP and hate changing methods midstream, but from what I've been reading here, that's likely.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

nielsm posted:

The "streamable format" thing is mostly just a feature of how the MP4 file is muxed. It should be possible to re-mux the file to have streaming hints, or better yet have the encoding software just produce these streaming hints in the first place.

Any idea how to do that in MeGUI? (I'd poke around, but I'm not on that computer at the moment, and again, I don't want to mess with settings while mid-LP.)

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

That loving Sned posted:

Both Avisynth and Audacity are useful tools for audio editing, but you'll also want something that can handle video as well.

I'm sorry, everyone. I've been using Avisynth for video editing all along, and now I'm informed that I'll have to stop because it doesn't actually do what it does.

(Avisynth does video just fine thank you.)

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

frozentreasure posted:

Um…isn't that not at all how Avisynth works? The whole point is that it's a frameserver and it doesn't render anything until you throw it at MeGUI, I could've sworn.

It renders when you throw it at ANYTHING, whether that's MeGUI for the final render or a preview program like VDub. Filters like Reverse and ChangeSpeed run very slowly in preview, but it's entirely possible that some filters would operate more quickly on smaller frames. Then again, the reduction of frame size itself takes some time, so you might not be gaining anything. I'm just in the habit of rendering a test AVI in VDub if I need to preview anything other than simple trims.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

skoolmunkee posted:

Hello I have a question that I'm pretty sure is about interlacing.

Are you changing the framerate of the video at all? Exporting as progressive is probably the right thing to do, since you don't want interlacing, and the frame blending sounds to me like a bad algorithm for changing the frame rate. Does the AVI you export as progressive have the same problem as your final MP4? If it does, then Premiere is doing something wrong with the video; if not, then MeGUI is. How you solve the problem will then depend on what the problem is.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

JordanKai posted:

Hi TSF, I'm running into a fairly strange problem with AviSynth and MeGUI that I think is related to the dissolve function.

I've looked at your script, and I've certainly never had this problem myself, but I have a few suggestions that may help narrow down the problem:

1) It may have to do with the giant mess of splices and trims in the final result. I highly recommend using an accumulator clip variable and splicing/dissolving parts onto it one at a time, line by line, just for sanity's sake. Probably not the root of your problem, though.

2) Does it crash if all you have is a dissolve with two clips? If that works, then you can try exporting each of the dissolved portions as a lossless AVI, reimporting, and just splicing everything from there.

3) If it does crash on just a dissolve, then you've got a much shorter test time to work with. Try changing things like the colorspace, audio rates, etc. to see if any of those changes fix the problem.

4) If all else fails, you might try exporting your "video" clip as it is, lossless, and working with that instead of the conglomeration of FFVideoSource calls - it would eliminate the source filter as a source of errors. It's not the ideal workflow, but you may be able to find an alternate source filter to FFMS that would solve the problem if that's where it lies.

EDIT: Two other questions based on a memory error I've had in the past:

Can you encode this script (say, into Lagarith) in Virtualdub, or does it also have the problem? If you can't encode it, can you preview it successfully? (Albeit slowly.) I had a memory issue when I sourced a large number of HD video clips, but I was able to export my file as an Uncompressed Direct Stream Copy, then import just that and transcode it in MeGUI.

Nidoking fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 5, 2014

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

SovietPotatoe posted:

I'm having problems with a missing index on an avi file. I ran out of hard drive space while recording and trying to open the file in Virtualdubmod gives me the message "AVI: Index not found or damaged - reconstructing via file scan" and the first 360 frames of the recording. Playing it in VLC I get everything until the last few minutes. I can do without those, but is there any way to salvage the rest of the recording? Google suggested reencoding with VLC but that didn't help anything.

If VLC plays the file properly, you might be able to screen capture the VLC playback into a new file.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Edward_Tohr posted:

As for the white line on transparent/white background bit, it should be easy enough to open it up in GIMP or Paint.net or some other image editing program which supports layers, and just toss a solid-color background layer underneath the map.

Or use a color fill tool to recolor the white line to something darker.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

Do you guys have any idea how to fix that? Nothing in the settings is relevant.

I recognize that userpic. Don't trust that guy.

Does your recording contain the entire area you want to capture as well as the extra portion of the screen? If so, just crop it in post. If not, then try expanding the recording area until it does. Also, I question your claim that nothing in the settings is relevant, but I don't know anything about gooncam to tell you what to look for.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Are you sure you set the PS3 to output video over the Component cables rather than the HDMI? It won't do both at the same time.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

simosimo posted:

Is this a good idea? If I ever get any AV desync I can cut up vocals and patch it together. I'm a barebones vid guy, although I would like to get into short intros and those cool 'click this video!' Picture in picture things At the end of the runtime. I am a total noob and still use movie maker to save out and handbrake to condense size further. Always looking to improve :)

I don't know whether any visual editors have this capability, but I know Avisynth will let you write a script that does your intro and one that does your outro and let you Import those into any other script, in case you don't feel like copying and pasting - which would also allow you to touch up your intro script so that when you re-encode any of those videos in the future, you'll get the improved version automatically. That may or may not be what you want.

As for the volume levels between tracks, if you do audio editing in Audacity, you can set the relative levels of each track trivially - just decrease the game volume until you like the way they sound together. I tend to find a setting that works for each game I record and just decrease the game volume that much every time, and increase my own audio a bit, although you need to be careful doing that because it increases any noise as well. Any other program should allow you to tweak the audio levels of each track separately (I know Avisynth does, but I rarely use it that way), so check what your options are before messing too much with your recording setup.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

DarkHamsterlord posted:

This isn't strictly LP related, but you guys know a lot about game capture so maybe you can help me anyway?

I'm trying to stream game video to a friend using an Elgato Game Capture HD and Skype. The Elgato doesn't appear in Skype's list of webcam sources, and I was wondering if there was a workaround for that? Perhaps another program that can accept the Elgato as an input, which Skype can accept as an input? No video or audio is being recorded, so there's no need to account for that.

So far we've been using Hitbox to do it, but the delay is pretty bad and I know Skype's video chat has significantly less delay from using it in the past with an SD capture card (which has since died, rip) so we wanted to try that instead. Anyone have any ideas?

If you've got a recording client that displays the video from the Elgato as a preview, you might be able to use Skype's desktop capture to capture that window.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

code:
function ZoomIn(clip c, int cornerx, int cornery, int wid, int height)
{
  retclip = c.Crop(cornerx, cornery, wid, height)
  retclip = retclip.Pointresize(Width(c), Height(c))
  return retclip
}
I put this filter in my plugin library, then use an Animate to perform a smooth zoom. For example:

code:
numframes = 350
ladderclip = sourceclip.Trim(42308, 42308).Loop(100 + numframes + 200)
ladderclip = ladderclip.Animate(101, 100+numframes, "Zoomin", 0, 0, 640, 400, 350, 180, 160, 100)
This zooms over the course of frames 101-450 from the full 640x400 window to a 160x100 window with upper-left corner at (350, 180).

You could use other types of resize to make the frames look better as you're zooming - I went with speed over style for this particular iteration.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

True, the function I posted above will scale the entire video, making the portions you're not zooming in on grow until the part you are zooming in on pushes them off-screen. I used an effect much like that GIF in another video I did:

code:
cliplength = 2700

ulclip = rawclip.Trim(117228 - cliplength, 117228)
urclip = rawclip.Trim(122429 - cliplength, 122429)
blclip = rawclip.Trim(126535 - cliplength, 126535)
brclip = rawclip.Trim(132215 - cliplength, 132215)

outclip = fourstackzoomout(ulclip, urclip, blclip, brclip, 140)
inclip = fourstackzoomin(ulclip, urclip, blclip, brclip, 140)

mainclip = mainclip ++ outclip.Trim(0, cliplength / 2) ++ inclip.Trim(cliplength / 2 + 1, 0)

function fourstackzoomouthelper(clip ul, clip backclip, clip audio, float ratio)
{
  frontclip = LanczosResize(ul.ConvertToRGB, floor(width(ul) * ratio), floor(height(ul) * ratio))

retclip = ratio > 0.5 ? Overlay(backclip, frontclip) : backclip

return retclip.ConvertToYV12.AudioDub(audio)
}

function fourstackzoomout(clip ul, clip ur, clip bl, clip br, int frames)
{
  ulwidth = width(ul) / 2
  ulheight = height(ul) / 2
  uls = PointResize(ul, ulwidth, ulheight)
  urs = PointResize(ur, ulwidth, ulheight)
  bls = PointResize(bl, ulwidth, ulheight)
  brs = PointResize(br, ulwidth, ulheight)
  backclip = StackHorizontal(StackVertical(uls, bls), StackVertical(urs, brs))
  audioclip = MixAudio(MixAudio(ul, ur), MixAudio(bl, br))
  audioclip = ul.Trim(0, frames).Dissolve(audioclip, frames).KillVideo

return Animate(0, frames, "fourstackzoomouthelper", ul, backclip, audioclip, 1.0, ul, backclip, audioclip, 0.5)
}

function fourstackzoominhelper(clip br, clip backclip, clip audio, float ratio)
{
  frontclip = LanczosResize(br.ConvertToRGB, floor(width(br) * ratio), floor(height(br) * ratio))

retclip = ratio > 0.5 ? Overlay(backclip, frontclip, width(backclip) - width(frontclip), height(backclip) - height(frontclip)) : backclip

return retclip.ConvertToYV12.AudioDub(audio)
}

function fourstackzoomin(clip ul, clip ur, clip bl, clip br, int frames)
{
  ulwidth = width(ul) / 2
  ulheight = height(ul) / 2
  uls = PointResize(ul, ulwidth, ulheight)
  urs = PointResize(ur, ulwidth, ulheight)
  bls = PointResize(bl, ulwidth, ulheight)
  brs = PointResize(br, ulwidth, ulheight)
  backclip = StackHorizontal(StackVertical(uls, bls), StackVertical(urs, brs))
  audioclip = MixAudio(MixAudio(ul, ur), MixAudio(bl, br))
  audioclip = audioclip.Dissolve(br.Trim(br.framecount - frames + 1, 0), frames).KillVideo

totalframes = FrameCount(ul)
  return Animate(totalframes - frames, totalframes, "fourstackzoominhelper", br, backclip, audioclip, 0.5, br, backclip, audioclip, 1.0)
}
Basically, splitting the video into halves and applying the zoom in or zoom out technique separately to each half, and with the appropriate corner clip (upper-left for the lead-in, lower-right for the lead-out). You can see it in action here. If you're only zooming in and out on one corner, the principle is the same - you're basically just splitting the clip into parts that either begin or end with a zoom. Also, you should use Layer instead of Overlay - I hadn't grasped the specifics of the colorspace fiddling that makes Layer work and just used Overlay back then because I was familiar with it. You can also probably ignore the audio stuff I did - that was blending the audio from all of the clips, while your audio will be a single stream the whole way.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

dscruffy1 posted:

So I've got a weird thing. I'm editing 60FPS stuff and I use Virtualdub to grab frame numbers for Avisynth and then to spot check the script, but Virtualdub kinda chugs when watching 60FPS. It doesn't happen when I watch the videos in MPC but I get A/V stuttering and it takes longer to play each second. One second maybe takes a second and a half. It's nothing critical but it's kinda irritating and I'd like to fix it if I can.

Export the video frame-for-frame with a nice fast codec, then use the AVI to grab the frame numbers instead of the script. That's how I handle all of my 60 FPS editing.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

DOSBox also has a screenshot hotkey, which I believe defaults to Ctrl-F5. I usually use that if I want to take a screenshot of a title screen or something where finding an exact frame isn't an issue.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Rotwang Gorbochoff posted:

Hey all I've been having troubles with FFMS2 and MeGUI. It seems that most times MeGUI will not load the audio for my videos now, for reference I'm currently using this code for my videos.
code:
AudioDubEX(FFVideoSource("f:\recorded movies\ASAMU\ASAMU 1-1.avi"),FFAudioSource("f:\recorded movies\ASAMU\ASAMU 1-1.avi"))
Now I've used just AudioDub as well and both work with Vdub and MPC, it's just MeGUI that will not convert the audio. I've also made separate, just audio clips, and they still won't encode. Is there something I'm missing, or is it just do the audio in Premiere?

If it works in VDub, why not export the audio as a WAV and use that, at least as a workaround?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Try DirectShowSource(filename, fps=30, ConvertFPS=true) and play around with the fps number until you get something that works for you. I don't know what Twitch's framerate is from the PS4 or if that's something you set via your account. Also, if the plugin can't be found, make sure it's in the plugins folder in your Audacity install or call LoadPlugin at the start to explicitly load it from wherever it is.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Well, the source is 480i, so what's the difference? I use a composite/S-Video capture device, and it takes a fair bit of deinterlacing and decheckerboarding for most video to look presentable, but doing that conversion in post should be at least as effective as doing it live as an upscaling adapter would have to do.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

bledking posted:

Couple of quick questions regarding AviSynth : why can I load .avs files with Media Player Classic and Windows MP but not VLC or Virtualdub? And is there a way to show frames in those first two players?

If .avs files aren't working in VirtualDub, you're doing something wrong. That's the best answer you're going to get from that information.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Artix posted:

I'm trying to encode a video and at some point in the second half, the audio streaming must break or something because MeGUI immediately stops trying to encode and it comes back with the error "FFAudioSource - Seeking is extremely broken." I'm trying to find the point where the audio breaks, but should I assume that means I'm going to have to re-record that part of the video? The actual video part seems fine, and MeGUI queues everything up okay, it's just the audio encoding part that's hosed up.

Can you export it using VDub as a WAV? If so, you should be able to Wavsource and Audiodub that, and then encode. Sometimes things get really weird and doing fewer encodings at a time works.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

berryjon posted:

I fixed the problem by changing the PayResX and PlayResY to the proper values.

As for the filter process, I couldn't see anything unusual there.

While the problem is fixed, I am still confused as to how it happened in the first place.

Did you load the actual video into Aegisub? That's what I usually do, and it should set the size appropriately since you're feeding it the actual video in the correct dimensions.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Coolguye posted:

Is there an avisynth script someone has written that can add a jiggle to the screen like an earthquake is going on? I have a need for something like that in my current LP.

This wouldn't be too hard to do in theory with a helper function that shifts the image so many pixels horizontally and vertically, padding the rest with black, then using ApplyRange or Animate to apply that to a few frames at a time with different offset numbers. If that sounds useful but more than you can write on your own, I can probably whip something up and post it here.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Coolguye posted:

I should be able to handle that, but I'd definitely be interested to see how you handle it if it's not too much trouble. If it's a pain in the rear end though don't worry, I can work something out.

Okay, then. Here's what I came up with for a very basic first pass:

code:
function OffsetClip(clip c, int x, int y)
{
  ret = x > 0 ? c.Crop(0, 0, -x, 0).AddBorders(x, 0, 0, 0) \
              : c.Crop(-x, 0, 0, 0).AddBorders(0, 0, -x, 0)
  ret = y > 0 ? ret.Crop(0, y, 0, 0).AddBorders(0, 0, 0, y) \
              : ret.Crop(0, 0, 0, y).AddBorders(0, -y, 0, 0)
  return ret
}

function OffsetClipRandom(clip c, int xmax, int ymax)
{
  x = Rand(2 * xmax, true) - xmax
  y = Rand(2 * ymax, true) - ymax

return c.OffsetClip(x, y)
}

function ShakeClip(clip c, int xmax, int ymax)
{
  return c.Animate(0, c.framecount - 1, "OffsetClipRandom", xmax, ymax, xmax, ymax)
}
This will dynamically shake the screen by a maximum of xmax pixels horizontally and ymax pixels vertically, using black borders and a random offset at every frame. For a 30 fps video, the effect looks pretty good. I don't know how good it might look at 60 fps, if you're working with faster video. The neat thing is that this function will produce a slightly different effect every time it runs, but my tests have shown it to be sufficiently distributed to produce a pretty good effect each time. You can spruce it up by sticking an ApplyRange in there - I was going to put startframe and endframe parameters, but of course, that requires either an ApplyRange or a couple of Trims and Splices to work with Animate. Another idea would be to add a parameter for the border color in case something other than black looks better with your video. That would have to be passed through the Animate, which is simple but more than I felt like doing.

Bet you never thought you'd see Animate used with two identical parameter lists, did you?

Oh, and it probably could be made to use only even numbers to work with clips in non-RGB colorspaces, but again, :effort:

Nidoking fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 1, 2015

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

FuriousAngle posted:

I'm not sure if it's because I don't have some configurations set up correctly, but all I have is the option for "Default sound recording device" and that doesn't seem to be working. I have FRAPS but haven't had enough time to really play around with it. Plus Hypercam has the nice capture area select function that's really, really helpful.

"Default sound recording device" means whatever device your computer is set to use to record sound - that generally means a microphone unless you've set it to something else. (Assuming you're using Windows since you didn't provide any information about your computer.) Right-click the volume icon in the taskbar and pick "Recording Devices" and see what's there - if you have a Stereo Mix option, that's probably good enough. You may have to enable that specifically through the control panel. Depending on your Windows version, there are ways to send output from Playback Devices to specific Recording Devices, which can also be used, and there are also programs like VAC that can do that as well.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Avisynth and MeGUI will do that for you for free. You can resize and stack videos in Avisynth. Something like the picture would be an AddBorders to the smaller video to make it the same height as the larger video, then a StackHorizontal to put them together in one frame.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Looking for a quality check on a video. I'm recording from the PS2 with component cables, but the game (Psychonauts) is SD-only, so I get a rather strange aspect ratio. The recorded video is in 720x480, with about 40 pixels of black on each side. (As far as I can tell, it's actually 41 on the left and 39 on the right, so I have to convert to RGB to crop it and then back to YV12 to encode.) Then there are 16 pixels of black bars top and bottom, for a final actual image resolution of 640x448. What I've done is crop to that and bilinear resize up to 640x480, and to my eyes, it all looks fine - the text is readable, and nothing appears stretched out of shape. But sharper eyes than mine have found problems in videos I thought looked good, so here's my proposed first video, and if anyone spots anything in it or has used a similar setup before and can provide any insight, I'd be grateful for it.

I have, of course, tried recording from my PC, but it's not up to the task of running the game and recording it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Has anyone here had much experience with the Hauppauge HD-PVR Rocket? It's an HD-PVR variant that encodes and records video directly to an attached USB storage device without requiring a separate computer, and it comes with a Component-to-HDMI adapter for recording from PS3. It sounds perfect for almost every recording task I've been having problems with, but it's impossible to get any useful information from Amazon's product reviews because they just lumped the reviews for all of the HD-PVR2 models in with the Rocket, and there are a lot of complaints about those.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Maybe one of MeGUI's file indexers can read the file and output something that Avisynth can read. Or Avisynth might be able to do it if you find a Source filter that's compatible with your files. From there, you can open the Avisynth script in VDub and either convert to a lossless format or do your editing directly in the same script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

SnoruntPyro posted:

I'm having a bit of trouble with ApplyRange and Tweak.

What this is intended to do is that at frame 8767, "shadow1L" (a picture of Shadow Man) should have its brightness turned down.. However, with this script I'm getting the error "ApplyRange does not have an argument named "sat"". I've also gotten the error "Tweak only supports YUV format (no RGB)" if I removed "bright=" and filled out the other arguments until bright. What am I doing wrong?

I don't think ApplyRange can handle named parameters. Try something like this:

code:
function TweakBright(clip c, float brightval)
{
  return c.Tweak(bright=brightval)
}

shadow1L = ApplyRange(shadow1L, 8767, 1500*60, "TweakBright", -100)
to reparameterize the function so that it only takes the argument you need. Oh, and you'll need to ConvertToYV12 (or another colorspace) the clip for Tweak to handle it, and if you're appending other clips to it, ConvertToRGB24 or ConvertToRGB32 it to match them again.

Nidoking fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 21, 2015