Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ChaosArgate posted:

The Elgato Game Capture is a popular one and hovers around the 150-180 range. There's also the Happauge HD PVR 2, which is a little cheaper but isn't as popular because the capture suite it comes with is apparently awful. If you don't care for an HD device, try the Happauge SD device or a Dazzle.

So are most of the complaints with the Hauppauge HD PVR2 capture suite mostly for those that try to stream with it, or is it just in general a pretty poo poo program, even for simple recording?

The only reason I ask is that I'm in the market for a good HD Capture device for the PS3 for a Lords of Shadow LP, was about to just buy a HD PVR2 from Amazon, but had the little lightbulb go off that told me to check the Tech Support Fort. So after reading a bit here, I'm stumped. I have NO experience with capture card devices whatsoever.

The Elgato is approx. $20 more expensive than the Hauppauge, BUT is it's capture software easier to use...so much that it'd be worth the extra :20bux:?

For that matter, from everything I've read, I'm assuming there is no program/device that allows for a 1080i/p recording from the PS3?

Apologize for the bland questions, as I mentioned I have absolutely no experience with recording with a capture device as of yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ChaosArgate posted:

My friend has an HD PVR2 and it was a bitch and a half to set up, software included. Also, my friend's HD PVR2 doesn't work with Component or Composite for some reason. :20bux: more will give you a device that not only has easier to use software, but also is easier to set up and works with those input types, along with HDMI. The Elgato also doesn't need an external power source, being powered entirely by USB if you were looking to save some power. Also, there aren't many games that display in 1080p on PS3, so you don't really need to worry about that. The Elgato comes with a cable you can plug right into your PS3 to go directly to the device, but it's essentially just a specialized Component cable.

...man I'm feeling like a big shill for Elgato after recommending it here so much.

Hey don't sweat it. I appreciate the hell out of it! Went and took a look at the Elgato website. I was curious as to whether or not it was delay free, and it is. Plus, it seems to be a much smaller device than the Hauppauge as well. Very cool. I had no idea this even existed until a few moments ago when I read through here.

Given all that I read from the website, plus the posts here in the TSF, I'm pretty much sold, unless there's some type of significant negative aspect to this. $179, while pricey (my budget anyways) seems like a good deal as long as it will last, is easy to use, and isn't cheaply made. Appreciate the recommendation!

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

gatz posted:

The unusually high video size (if it persists as virtualdub chugs along) might be caused because you preserved the source format instead of using the standard profile (640x480, 29.970 fps, progressive). The framerate is usually what bumps up the size so much, I'm guessing your source video is 720x480, 60 fps, interlaced.

Speaking of filesize and what not. Just what IS the typical file size one should expect from an approx. 20 minute long video, 720P, at 60FPS, if everything is encoded properly/nothing bugs out on you.

For reference, I've recorded a Lords of Shadow video that was 720P, 60FPS, 8000kbps 1.2 GB raw file size. After going through the usual process of editing, encoding, adding commentary etc. etc., I've wound up with a 720P, 30FPS, approx. 650MB file size, with 3,900kbps.

Is this about right, or is it too small/large of a file size for what I'm getting? The quality of the video is great, but if I've got a file size that's far too huge, it'd be nice to know so I can tinker with my encoding settings some more.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

centralpotatoez posted:

How do ya re-size screenshots? Please give me the easiest solution available since I'm a tech noob. Thanks!

Well, the easiest way would be to open up whatever image you're trying to resize into an image editing program, such as MS Paint, Gimp, or Photoshop. All of which have a nifty resize function.

However, as Adm. Curtiss said, for batch resizing (or really any screenshot related thing), there's this tutorial, that's hosted on the first page of this very thread

Now get back to making Pokémon thread #3, because for some reason you're completely hell-bent on doing that, even against the advice/actual forum rules....so gently caress it. Pokémon this bitch up.

BMS fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 5, 2014

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

judge reinhold posted:

Gotta "give it up" for the El Gato capture card. Not only does the latest software version save the commentary audio to a separate file than the game audio so you're not stuck with bad jokes baked in, but now it supports saving your encode at a different bitrate than your stream. Wow!!!!!!!

Wow, no joke? I haven't streamed but once with El Gato, and that's when I first got it about half a year ago, but that feature is great, especially for those of us that are stuck in an area where the internet will only allow around 800kb bit rate without crashing the stream constantly. Would have figured that OBS would have this feature, but no. Regardless, El Gato keeps surprising me with the good poo poo they constantly put out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

FuriousAngle posted:

Done and done. Thanks again!

Well, did you actually PAY to register Hypercam2? (I mean there's nothing wrong with that, I did the same thing back in 2007). But I would recommend that if you're looking for a fast, easy, but GOOD (one of the best out there at the moment), recording software, then try OBS.

https://obsproject.com/

It will record much better than Hypercam, and has it's own interface as far as what you record, both video and audio wise, and HOW you record it. Definitely worth a look. If you need help setting it up, the OBS website has some stuff to look at, and if that doesn't work I'm sure we can get you lined out!

Unless I missed something as I was skimming, and didn't pick up on a reason you listed that you HAVE to use Hypercam?