Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Silver Falcon posted:

Can regular VirtualDub do this? I don't see VirtualDubMod in the OP, unless I'm just missing it.

VirtualDubMod hasn't been updated since 2006, last I checked. That's why it's not in the OP: it's dead and there are better options for anything you'd do with it.

quote:

I also just downloaded FMS2, I think. I got an fms2.dll file from the zipped folder and stuck that in AviSynth's Plugin folder. I think that's what I need? Will I need to use the LoadPlugin function each time I want to use it?
Once per AVS file. So if you mean every AVS, then yes. If you mean every video you load in a single AVS file, then no.

And if you put it in the AviSynth auto load directory, you shouldn't need to use LoadPlugin at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

taiyoko posted:

I'm trying to decide what settings I want to use for my LP, at least for the FMVs. They're 640x480, and I'm upscaling to 720p, but my question is deinterlace the FMVs or not?

Well, your first problem is that it isn't actually interlaced. Interlacing is when two frames are displayed on separate "scan lines." What your video has is basically a very lazy method of halving the video height and not bothering to scale up properly.

Because it isn't really interlaced, Yadif can't do anything with it and all "blending frames" will do is make the image half as bright.

What you could try instead is this:

code:
function RemoveBlackLines(clip video, int x, int y, int width, int height) {
    # Crop out just the section we want
    section = Crop(video, x, y, width, height)
    # Point resize to half to effectively remove every other line
    section = section.PointResize(section.Width(), section.Height()/2)
    # And then back to replace the removed lines with the lines above and
    # below them
    section = section.PointResize(section.Width(), section.Height()*2)
    return Layer(video, section, "add", level=256, x=x, y=y)
}
Note that you may have to tweak the Y value if this makes the video black (adding or subtracting one to it). For your sample image, I used:

code:
RemoveBlackLines(video, 54, 16, 530, 344)
This allows you to tweak the game's video while leaving the text entirely alone.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
That screenshot is terrifying, Suspicious Dish.

Also, this seems relevant: How to Prevent Sony Vegas from Destroying Your Videos

Although I'm a bit confused on which codecs are being used in which programs to accomplish what. The problem is with the recording MSI Afterburner creates, I guess?

MJPEG is a terrible "codec" in that it isn't actually a codec and was made to allow cheap digital cameras to record crappy video before H.264 hardware was cheap enough to include in cheap cameras. It shouldn't be used when recording LP footage. Or anything else, for that matter.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
MJPEG is literally a series of JPEGs. That's all it is.

It offers no actual video compression due to that, making it lousy at compressing space, and introduces all the artifacts that a JPEG would introduce. It's essentially an MPEG video made of nothing but keyframes, and MPEG is really old and doesn't contain any of the quality improvements that H.264 does.

H.264 is flat-out better than MJPEG, it's really nothing more complicated than that. You get better quality at a smaller file size.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
I have no clue what you're actually trying to do, but I think you wanted to encode with MeGUI instead of use YAMB. I won't call YAMB entirely useless - but, well, you'll almost never have a use for it and it doesn't do encoding anyway.

MeGUI is the recommended free encoding software.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Using solely MeGUI? No.

Using AviSynth? Yes. Alternatively, edit the audio in Audacity.

I'd recommend using Audacity because it's somewhat easier to use. Just import both the commentary and game audio, sync them up, lower the volume of the game audio if needed, and then export to a WAV file and then use that as your audio source.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Maybe? The Hauppauge HD PVR Rocket may do that. I don't own one and have never tried it, so I have no idea if it actually does what you're asking, but it's worth looking at. At the very least you could be our guinea pig. :v:

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
All a noise gate will do is shut off the mic while you're not talking, it won't "remove" noise. (A noise gate basically says "only allow sound through if it's above the noise threshold.") Which may be perfect for your "push to talk" problem, if you want everything you say to be streamed but the mic to be silenced completely when you're quiet.

Any good directional mic that's pointed away from the fan should work. It's the omnidirectional mics that pick up everything. A directional microphone that's pointed towards your mouth and away from the fan should help reduce the noise. Sadly, I can't really say what "a good directional mic" would be and most of the headsets I've used tend to pick up background noise despite the fact that they really aren't "supposed" to.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
So, looking through the TSF Wiki, I notice that we currently only list five programs for recording: FRAPS, Dxtory, Camtasia Studio, HyperCam2, and VirtualDub. (VirtualDub sucks for screen recording, incidentally. But it does work. Ish.)

In any case, I'm thinking that we may want to add Nvidia's ShadowPlay, as that's matured to the point where it works for the most part. Likewise, Open Broadcaster Software can also be used to record and should probably be mentioned.

Any thoughts on adding these?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Shoopuf posted:

Similarly, my screen resolution is at 1440x900 while my friend is 1920x1147. Should we still play at a synchronized resolution for our recording, or is there a nearest neighbor we could use when encoding the video? I'm still new to this and trying to figure out what our best options are.

The gently caress kind of resolution is 1920x1147? Wait, don't tell me, it's 1920x1200 with 53 pixels taken up by the task bar.

In any case, the answer is almost certainly "yes, you should be playing at the same resolution," especially if this is related to Final Fantasy XIV and you intend for any of the HUD elements to be readable. Otherwise you're going to be forced to either stretch or shrink one of the videos and text is going to become blurry in either case. You should try and pick one of the standard HD resolutions, either 1280x720 or 1920x1080, and play and record at that resolution.

Shoopuf posted:

While I'm here, does anyone know why Audacity can't seem to hear my speakers/headset whatsoever despite the fact that they do appear as devices to record?

Define "can't seem to hear" - what happens when you try and record? Nothing, or you record silence? Is the recording just very quiet?

Make sure the correct audio device is selected in the recording dropdown and that it's set to mono. Make sure that the microphone gain is set to a reasonable level. (How you do that depends on the OS, in Windows 7/8, it's Recording Devices, Properties (on the specific device), Levels.)

If you're using Skype, make sure Skype isn't set to alter the microphone gain level. (In Skype: Tools, Options, General, Audio settings, uncheck "Automatically adjust microphone settings.")

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Shoopuf posted:

EDIT: New question, actually. I'm using Avisynth and I could swear I saw directions in some guide or another about what arguments would overlay pieces of audio over pieces of video (such as over a sped-up section), but I can't find it again for the life of me. Did I make it up?
Do you mean simple things like AudioDub (completely replace the audio of a clip with the audio from a different one) or MixAudio (mix audio between two clips)?

Or something a bit more complicated, where you take a subsection of the clip and only mix audio in there? That just involves trimming out the section and then using AudioDub or MixAudio and adding it back in, like:

code:
video = AviSource("whatever.avi")
# Replace audio for only frames 1001-2000:
video_1 = video.Trim(0, 1000)
video_2 = video.Trim(1001, 2000)
video_3 = video.Trim(2001, 0)

audio = WavSource("yakety_sax.wav")

# Note: audio must match video's audio. If it doesn't, you may need to:
audio = audio.SSRC(video.AudioRate())
audio = audio.ConvertAudioToFloat()
# Or maybe ConvertAudioTo32Bit() or 16Bit, there's no way to easily
# check and use the correct version

video_2 = video_2.AudioDub(audio)

video = video_1 ++ video_2 ++ video_3

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Yes. You can AudioDub over the ChangeSpeed portions to replace the audio with whatever you like.

The use of ++ instead of + is important in this case to ensure that it trims the audio to the clips where you're replacing the audio.

I'm not entirely clear what you mean by "normal-speed audio", do you want the original audio to play over the sped-up sections for as long as possible?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Close but not quite. Your final lines of the script are:

code:
v = v1 ++ v2 ++ v3 ++ v4 ++ v5 ++ v6 ++ v7 ++ v8 ++ v9
ConvertToYV12()
Or, to be more explicit:

code:
v = v1 ++ v2 ++ v3 ++ v4 ++ v5 ++ v6 ++ v7 ++ v8 ++ v9
last = last.ConvertToYV12()
return last

Which is a prime example of the "last" variable is the dumbest concept that the AviSynth guys ever came up with.

Clearly v = v1 ++ v2 ++ v3 ++ v4 ++ v5 ++ v6 ++ v7 ++ v8 ++ v9 should evaluate to v and then the next line should be working on it, but no, that's not how AviSynth works. Someone should force whoever designed AviSynth's syntax to use LISP until they are enlightened.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

neetengie posted:

I recently ran into a problem with my elgato, the finished video has the audio lagging behind by 5-7 seconds to the video - I happened to record 2 hours of footage with it, is that the problem?

Where is the desync happening? When you play it in, say, Media Player, or after you encode it through MeGUI?

Because if it's the latter, it may be caused by variables frame rates. If it's the former, there may be a different issue.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

neetengie posted:

The desync is throughout the entire video, I don't know why that happened at all. Thanks for testing if it's normal or not.

Is it constant (always, say, 3 seconds behind), steadily increasing (synced at the beginning and then slowly increasing until it's 7 seconds out of sync at the end), or totally random (ranging randomly from a second to several seconds and then back again)?

Because the answer determines the solution. If it's the first, you just realign the audio until it's in sync again. (Technically the MP4 format has a field for this and this can be done essentially losslessly.) If it's the second, you can adjust the video's framerate so that the length of the video matches the length of the audio. If it's the last, you're probably hosed.

quote:

It's the former, and does encoding the video in MeGUI after it's been processed by the elgato itself a good idea?

Define "processed by the elgato itself." Do you mean just the recording? Generally you'd do an encode through MeGUI after doing edits or something.

quote:

Also would any software like madVR and the like be problematic, or do they have no effect on the recording whatsoever?

I'm not sure what madVR is. It sounds like it's video playing software. Do you mean would it affect the recording just by being installed? It shouldn't. Would it affect the playback, possibly causing desync when viewing it through a different player wouldn't? Quite possibly.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
If you're uploading to YouTube, there is literally no point in recording more than 30FPS, because YouTube will always reencode it back down to 30FPS. (I don't know if that's the case with other video services.)

Since frame blending looks terrible, and otherwise you're literally going to be throwing away half the data you've recorded, it's generally best to record in 30FPS.

However, that doesn't make it a hard rule. If you're not posting to YouTube and are posting to a source that can deal with 60FPS videos, and you're willing to deal with the larger file sizes, then go ahead: record and post in 60FPS.

As for Adobe Premiere, I haven't a clue.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

nielsm posted:

Wikipedia says that the SNES runs at 512x448 (for NTSC) or 512x478 (for PAL), so ideally your initial captures should be at one of those resolutions.

No, it doesn't. Those are the max resolutions the SNES is capable of, Wikipedia actually gives the complete range but nearly all games run at 256x224. (At least, most NTSC games do. I think most PAL games do too but I'm not sure.) If you take straight screenshots using an emulator's screenshot feature, you'd probably get 256x224 images.

quote:

However since the games are typically intended to be viewed in 4:3 aspect ratio, you should then resize them to something else.

While it's true that they would be displayed in a 4:3 ratio on real hardware, I find that almost no game really bothered to take it into account. (Then there are games like Mega Man X where some elements clearly did take the 4:3 ratio into account while others didn't.) It's almost never worth it to distort a SNES screenshot to make it 4:3. I'm not willing to say blanket "never" but I really wouldn't worry about it.

Anyway, the final answer:

Take your original 256x224 SNES screenshots and point resize them to 512x448. They should be plenty big enough to see and you won't add in any distortions. Don't bother with fancy resizing algorithms: the point of an LP is to show the game being played, not to show off your crappy scaling algorithm.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Another Person posted:

Hey there, I'm trying to figure out streaming settings and am having a little issue with it all. Basically, when streaming the quality comes through just fine, but I seem to get loads of little microfreezes, as my friend calls them when testing, and they come every few seconds and persist for about half a second. I know exactly what he means, basically, my stream is hitching up. I have the settings put as Twitch advises, and even boosted or lowered things as required in testing it, but the hitches are there and persistent.

There are basically two things that could be going on here:

1. Your computer isn't powerful enough to both deal with Skype and the stream at the same time.

This seems very unlikely.

2. Your Internet upstream connection isn't fast enough to allow you to both stream and be in Skype at the same time.

This seems much more likely. In this case your only real solution (other than getting a faster Internet connection) is to reduce the video bitrate you're streaming at.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Relin posted:

Looked on google, didn't see anything that helped much. Anyone know why OBS is showing internet explorer as a black screen when i set it as the capture window? Using Twitch's OBS settings fwiw.

Nope! It shows up as a white screen for me when I try to capture it.

However, Monitor Capture did work to get Internet Explorer, so you could set a careful subregion to only get the IE window if you really want to stream/record Internet Explorer.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
You really don't want to edit things using VirtualDub. It doesn't allow you to save your edits the same way something like even Windows Movie Maker would.

Anyway, try the Recommended Software list. It doesn't really give strict pros/cons, but it does give a basic overview.

The problem with recording a "PC game" is that FRAPS targets OpenGL/DirectX games. If by "PC Game" you end up meaning something that isn't either of those, it won't work. Something like OBS likely would in that case.

The problem with OBS is that it records using a lossy codec. It doesn't look like that can be changed. This may not be an issue for you, but it can cause a quality loss.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Niggurath posted:

edit: Also for shits and giggles I decided to try doing a resize to a 16:9 resolution in avisynth and it seems to be fine:

That's the right solution. The way 480p widescreen works is that it's the same signal as 4:3. The only difference is the way the TV displays it.

To make this work with digital video, video formats have a flag that indicates the "correct" aspect ratio. It's then up to the player to display the video at that aspect ratio.

Clearly something is not copying that flag over or not recording it correctly. Just stretching the video to 16:9 in AviSynth is the easiest solution.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Sure, the Xbox One and PS4 can both stream without a PC. :v:

But you're right: as far as I am aware, if you want to stream, you're going to need a PC. (Or a console capable of doing it natively, but they can't stream other sources.)

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
I don't remember whether or not that's the card I have, but I have a similar one. If you have the money, I'd recommend going with the Elgato. The Aver software is kind of, well, terrible.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Supposedly YouTube added support for 60FPS videos. Looking at that chart it looks like they only support them for 720p videos. According to various other articles on it, the support is extremely browser/connection dependent and is basically limited to Chrome and how you good you are at making your saving throw against DASH.

And that's just watching the videos. For uploading videos at 60FPS, that's apparently limited to YouTube employees. Or maybe not. Who knows? It's YouTube.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Are you using AviSynth and FFMpegSource? If so, do you have threads=1 in the FFVideoSource statement?

By default FFMpegSource attempts to use multiple threads, which is silly, because its threading support has never loving worked. So you need to use threads=1 to tell it to only use one thread.

Note that in this case "access violation" means "program crashed." It's an access violation in the sense that the program is trying to access memory it never allocated, because of a bug somewhere in FFMpegSource. (Almost certainly to do with synchronization between threads given that it doesn't happen when single-threaded.)

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

JordanKai posted:

And here's the editing file: http://pastebin.com/ZrbU5vS3

I hope you guys might have an idea what's going on because I just don't know any more! :ohdear:

Try threads=1 in your FFVideoSource statements. (See above about FFVideoSource going all screwy if you don't.)

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
If you're using the version that comes with MeGUI, it most certainly wasn't fixed as of a month ago.

Edit: AviSynth isn't MeGui.

Xenoveritas fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 6, 2014

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
"Fatal Error, attempted to read or write protected memory" is a fancy way of saying "crashed."

So presumably something is crashing.

Try a completely fresh install of MeGUI and see if that fixes it? I've had the MeGUI updater trash MeGUI before where the only way to resolve it was to start with a fresh copy.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Unfortunately I've never tried to use MeGUI with Sony Vegas, so I really can't offer anything beyond generic help. The error message you're getting is unhelpfully vague as well.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
The instructions you're looking at are for compiling OBS on Mac OS X. It looks like they already offer a binary download on https://obsproject.com/.

Just download the ZIP, unzip it, and use the OBS inside of it.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
If the black bars are small enough (and it sounds like they are in this case), I wouldn't really worry about cropping them out and just leave them as-is.

Back in the days of analog TVs, there was a safe area around which TV producers could be guaranteed that content would be visible on all TVs. With HD TVs, you'd think that would no longer be necessary, but quite a few HD TVs "zoom in" on a non-existent "safe area" in HD content anyway (at least by default).

Since there's a chunk of space around the screen that may simply not be visible, some games simply don't bother rendering to it in an effort to eek out the most FPS they possibly can.

The problem is that if you do crop them out and resize up, you're only going to succeed in making the entire video blurry. Don't do that.

Just leave them as-is.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Mico posted:

If it's just a few pixels it's really not noticeable unless you're playing a game with pixel graphics.

Likewise, if it's just a few pixels, it's absolutely not worthwhile to completely destroy your video in order to avoid having a tiny border around the image that no one is going to notice unless someone points it out.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Do note that this issue is supposedly fixed as of version 2.18. Unfortunately, googling for "FFMS2" still brings up the old Google Code page as the first result instead of the new Github page, so many people are not aware that there's versions past 2.17.

https://github.com/FFMS/ffms2/releases

Jumping back to this, version 2.20 seems to be a buggy pile of poo poo. They've definitely "fixed" threads=1 - trying to use one thread to work around it crashing if you try and use multiple threads now causes severe graphical corruption. I'd recommend sticking with 2.17 and threads=1 since it may be slow, but at least it doesn't crash every three frames.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
H.264 and MP4 should be fine for Mac OS X, but I'd try AAC instead of AC-3 for the audio portion. I think that's the standard for most MP4s anyway.

Of course, I don't know what he's using for software on Mac OS X since I think Apple stopped including DVD authoring software with Mac OS X a while ago.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
It looks like you're running in a high-DPI mode, so I wouldn't let Gooncam off the hook just yet.

Is it remotely possible to dump the DPI back down to default and record with it that way? Or just to test out that theory?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Can you play "E:\majesty\1 - Bell Book Candle - Orv - Raw.avi" on its own? Because it looks like you should be dealing with that file a couple of seconds into the script, and since your script isn't doing anything overly complicated, presumably something is going wrong reading that file. In fact, a few seconds in, FadeIO should be doing nothing other than passing unmodified frames straight from that AVI file.

If it's just crashing in the audio, you can always try adding KillAudio() to the end of the script and see if that lets it play. It would at least give you a hint about what's going wrong.

But I'd look at that first file and see if it's corrupted or something.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Coolguye posted:

e: Potentially relevant, VirtualDub spits this out upon loading the the raw files.

[!] AVI: Stream 1 (audio) has a non-zero start position of 480 samples (+20
ms). VirtualDub does not currently support a non-zero start time and the
stream will be interpreted as starting from zero.

It does not stop it from playing the raws appropriately, with no sound desync.

Excellent! Then you should be able to load the raw video into VirtualDub, choose Export as WAV to make a WAV of the audio, and then AudioDub it over the original video in your script. Not the most elegant solution, but it's a way to make the thing work.

quote:

e2: Also potentially relevant, these videos were recorded using Bandicam. Is there a known weirdness with that recorder?

I know nothing about Bandicam. But you're having problems with it, so there is now? :v: It sounds like something, somewhere, is hitting an infinite loop within the audio processing code. (Because if AviSynth outright crashes, you'll get an error message in VirtualDub.) Your AviSynth script is incredibly simple and for the most part AviSynth just passes raw audio straight through (FadeIO does alter audio during the fade) so I don't have any good idea as to what is causing problems, but - well, clearly something is.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Alchenar posted:

Tried messing about with both Print Screen and Irfanview. None of the capture options on Ifranview seem to make any difference.

Have you tried Steam? I forget if you can make it take lossless screenshots or not, but Steam can take screenshots using F12 when you run a game through it.

I think the Nvidia Experience is also capable of taking screen shots if you have an Nvidia card. And of course you could try FRAPS, I'm pretty sure you can take screenshots with just the free trial version.

Edit: Steam can take lossless screenshots (or at least uncompressed ones, at least in the beta version), and it turns out you can't take screenshots using ShadowPlay. Which makes a certain amount of sense and adds more proof that all ShadowPlay does is take the existing Nvidia Shield streaming software and aim it at the disk.

Xenoveritas fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 21, 2014

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

McKilligan posted:

Stupid Virtualdub question here - What is the option that refreshes the frames when you use the arrow keys to seek out a certain frame? I'm sure I accidentally disabled it when trying to figure something else out, so now when the video is paused, and I try to seek left or right, the video doesn't update, which means my edits then involve a lot of guesswork...

You've presumably disabled the Input and Output panes (although I thought that would disable them entirely, even when playing the video). Check under the View menu. The hotkeys are F9 (input) and F10 (output).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
I don't know any website, but you might want to consider looking at older specialty video game stores near you. So if I were looking for old cables, I'd try Game Underground. Although I'm pretty sure you live on the exact opposite side of the country, so that almost certainly won't help since they don't ship stuff online. Unless you want to try and go to PAX East since they usually have a booth there. :v:

You could also see if any of the authorized retailers Amazon is pointing you towards have a single storefront you can order everything you need from.