Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Make sure your entire set of video tools (codecs, programs) uses the same amount of bits. Probably 32 bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Mush Man posted:

There are some serious issues with the recommended YouTube encoding guidelines, especially in recommending all videos be encoded at 720p or over. Here's exactly what's wrong:

Look man, I tested this by uploading several different resolutions and framerates of a few videos and that article is more or less just a collection of my results. If you're convinced it's so wrong, please provide examples to the contrary.

Some things I do want to point out though:

quote:

The section explaining when YouTube encodes to HD is wrong. YouTube will always encode your videos as HD if they have a resolution of 720 vertical pixels or more. Horizontal resolution does not matter.

Maybe I didn't phrase that well, but I meant that HD can be triggered by either horizontal or vertical. 32 x 720 will trigger HD. 1280 x 32 will also trigger HD.

quote:

While YouTube regularly messes with 480p, it doesn't always. Recommending a target of 720p+ isn't always necessary.

Perhaps, but it happens very often, and is especially noticable on things like text. Feel free to try uploading 480p, but in my experience the result will look like poo poo more often than not.

quote:

YouTube does not encode audio in SD videos at 96 kbps.

It did for me. Download my example videos linked and you will see that the SD ones are 96 kbps and the HD ones are 192 kbps.

Also I *really* have to question your advice of using Bilinear resizing, because that will almost certainly result in a blurry mess.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 4, 2013

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

The Wiki posted:

HyperCam2 has a confusing bug where framedrops will screw up the replay speed of your video unless the option to display a recording rectangle is unchecked and the option to make that rectangle blink is checked.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Yeah it always does that, just ignore it. I think it's just some legal bullshit.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Why would you delete your eShop account?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

They both look terrible, yes.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Don't use regular VBA, get VBA-rr or VBA-M.

https://code.google.com/p/vba-rerecording/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/vbam/

I'm not sure which one has more solid AVI recording, try both. Using in-emulator recording should remove all PC-related frameskips as well (but not frameskips due to improper emulation or actual in-game lag!).

That said, Mother 3 surprisingly GBA-hardware-intensive, so you may have some minor issues still.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

That looks like Composite capture. Composite is old and awful, use S-Video at the very least. Also make sure you properly deinterlace.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

That wouldn't help, you need to get a PS2 S-Video cable. Do *not* get a multi-console video cable, as those usually have terrible quality, find a PS2-only one, and read the reviews for the cable.

The PS2's AV out is the same as the PS3 and (I think) PS1 AV out, so if you find a PS3 S-Video cable that should work too.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

If you could actually keep Miiverse running in the background it could be considered, but as-is you have to reload the app -- which takes like half a minute! -- every time you want a different screenshot, so yeah, not recommended.

It doesn't scale them particularly well either from what I've seen, gimme a bit and I'll show an example...

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Nevermind, looks like the bad scaling is caused by the app/website, the raw screenshots it generates look really nice.

Left is a (I assume) raw capture I grabbed off Giant Bomb, right is my Miiverse post.

I guess you could use this to make LPs, but the half a minute load per screenshot is still a bit much.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 11, 2013

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

Do you need to go to Miiverse? Can you not pull it off of the SD card it saves to?

Except for some rare games like Animal Crossing, this is the only way to take screenshots. You can't actually save the framebuffer to SD or anything, just post it to Miiverse. It's kinda dumb, yes.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I have the sneaking suspicion you recorded a keystroke recording without realizing what you did.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Before toddy just mentioned it here I have never heard of anyone bricking a PSP with RJL, and I'm not entirely sure how that would happen on a technical side either.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

http://ffmpegsource.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/doc/ffms2-avisynth.html

Load the plugin itself as usual, either by figuring out how the Avisynth auto-plugin-load directory works or with LoadPlugin()

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Install a virtual machine and suspend/resume it while keeping backups of the machine state?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

So how come capture card makers can't actually design sensible software? I've had my HD PVR (1, regular edition) for a couple years now and originally I used the ArcSoft Total Media Extreme that came with it. Terrible UI design, a nonstandard window that you can't resize, and usually took like two or three tries to actually recognize the PVR. After it was recognized it usually worked fine, unless I turned off the PVR while it was still on, then I had to restart the program to make it work again. And it always crashed after I closed it once I was done. Which, whatever, but still.

Then recently, Hauppauge released a tool of their own, Hauppauge Capture. Great, finally something that's hopefully better. And it is, I guess, but still not great. It's *still* a nonstandard window, but at least you can resize this once, but only diagonally for some reason. It recognizes the PVR better, but the "Record" button is a piece of poo poo and only works half the time I click it, especially when trying to stop a recording. It also outputs TS files that only work in Avisynth/FFMS2 half the time (the other half is "Can't parse file, most likely a transport stream not cut at packet boundaries"), which forces me to remux them. There is a built-in remuxer, but it takes forever and has no batch functionality, and it also reencodes the nice 384kbps AC3 stream into a 128kbps AAC one without telling you. Also I'm stuck with a German version of the program that was obviously not translated by someone actually speaking the language, without any options to change the language as far as I can tell, presumably just because my Windows locale is Austria.

So I guess my long-winded rant-y question is: Is there any actual good recording software for the HD PVR?

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 3, 2014

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

For the record, FFMS2 has switched to Github, so you want to get the newest version from here: https://github.com/FFMS/ffms2/releases

Right now it's that big green "2.19" button.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

For 1), just start some batch processes in either Irfanview (GUI) or ImageMagick (command line).

For 2), I recommend my FaceCopy tool, it has both manual visual copy-and-paste functionality as well as exactly what you want with the batch shorthand replacements.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 6, 2014

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Mico posted:

FPSnum actually does nothing without FPSden. They're numerator and denominator, FPS is stored as a fraction in video files.

Actually,

the doc posted:

int fpsnum = -1, int fpsden = 1
Controls the framerate of the output; used for VFR to CFR conversions. If fpsnum is less than or equal to zero (the default), the output will contain the same frames that the input did, and the frame rate reported to Avisynth will be set based on the input clip's average frame duration. If fpsnum is greater than zero, FFVideoSource will force a constant frame rate, expressed as a rational number where fpsnum is the numerator and fpsden is the denominator. This may naturally cause FFVideoSource to drop or duplicate frames to achieve the desired frame rate, and the output is not guaranteed to have the same number of frames that the input did.

fpsden has a default of 1, so leaving it out is completely fine if you want an integer as your framerate.

Anyway, the actual question:

Psion posted:

While we're at it, I see fpsnum=30 and I've seen ChangeFPS(30) ... is there a real reason to use one over the other?

Technically, fpsnum=30 lets the source filter handle the conversion while reading the file from disk into the script, while ChangeFPS(30) lets Avisynth handle the conversion after the file has already been loaded. In practice, this makes no difference if your video file has a constant framerate, but makes a big difference when the video file has a variable framerate, since by not providing the parameter Avisynth will assume that all frames in the video have a constant duration -- because Avisynth does not support variable framerates.

When in doubt, use the fpsnum parameter.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Last I checked PCSX2's video recorder makes a file just called "recording" in its own directory, no matter what your AVI filename is, which is the audio. It's pretty stupid.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

VDub does. I thought FFMpegSource2() was supposed to load the audio too, but try FFAudioSource() on the same file and AudioDub()ing them together.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

It's a full/limited range decoding issue. Try this.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Try:

FOR %%G IN (*.raw) DO sox -r 44100 -e unsigned -b 8 -c 1 "%%G" "%%G.wav"

And run the batch file just like that, no dragging/dropping. Might need to rename it to *.bat instead of *.cmd.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Well they're raw, which means they don't have any metadata associated with them, and it's completely up to the playing program to interpret them.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Only because AviSource() told you that it's RGB32 doesn't mean that it actually is -- again, this is a codec decoding issue. Try the version on the site for YV12.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Failure to understand the last variable. What you're doing at the moment is:

last = AudioDub(v, a) # places full video into last variable
last = Dissolve(last.Trim(3374,8558), last.Trim(9328,10642), last.Trim(11926,16118), 60) # replace contents of the last variable with three clips, dissolved into each other
last = last.Trim(17815,31205) # remove the first 17k frames of the remaining video after the dissolve

Fix is either:

AudioDub(v, a)
Dissolve(Trim(3374,8558), Trim(9328,10642), Trim(11926,16118), 60) ++ Trim(17815,31205)

or:

video = AudioDub(v, a)
a = Dissolve(video.Trim(3374,8558), video.Trim(9328,10642), video.Trim(11926,16118), 60)
b = video.Trim(17815,31205)
final = a ++ b
return final

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

It should also be fixed in the newest version of FFMS2, which is now on github despite the first result on Google still linking to the old Google Code page.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Unfortunately, Irfanview sucks at transparency, so I don't think so. ImageMagick definitely works if you know your way around a command line.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

While that may work, I do not recommend needless conversions to RGB and back into YV12, it'll degrade your colors. Once is probably not gonna be noticeable, but for the future, you want to either:
- Record in RGB, do all your edits in RGB, and only convert to YV12 at the end. (less chance to screw up)
- Or record in YV12, edit in YV12. (smaller raw filesize, also not ideal for pixel art stuff)

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Try applying Yadif but that does not look like normal interlacing.

I recall there being some tool in maybe Megui (?) that checked a video for possible interlacing and told you which method is the correct one to resolve it, try searching for that if Yadif doesn't help.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Ah, seeing that source video, could you try something? Record another (short) gameplay video, but only start the recording once the game has booted and the PS3 is in "PS2 mode". It might be an issue caused by the switch in video mode when switching from the PS3 OS to the PS2 mode.

Avisynth can not handle multiple video streams with different resolution/framerate/etc within the same file. I believe FFMS2 does have options to override that so you can get the correct "part" of video with the correct settings, but you'd have to check the doc.

e: It might even be as simple as adding a fpsnum=60 parameter to the FFVideoSource call.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 19, 2014

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

http://salp.wikia.com/wiki/Basics_on_editing_in_Adobe_Premiere_Pro

Check out section 3.

Here's a link to the frameserver Cknoor mentioned in that guide.

http://www.debugmode.com/frameserver/

As far as I can tell that frameserver does not support VDub. VDub itself does apparently have one, though: http://www.virtualdub.org/docs_frameserver.html

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Really, though, it all depends on your footage. The only way to really find out is to encode several different quality versions of the same video and find the spot where it gets too artifacted.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Why do you not want to use OBS?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Don't change your aspect ratio unless you know what you're doing. If your sole reason for wanting to stretch your footage just to "get rid of those black bars", then for the love of God don't stretch your footage.

That said, hold Shift in Edit Mode to override aspect ratio while dragging the size.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Hey, I've recently had a situation where an SD capture card provided me with 720x480 footage, which made sense to squish to get it back to its intended 4:3 aspect ratio.

But yes, that is a pretty specific use case, which is why I included that bolded part above.

e: ^ Set your resolution properly in the Video settings.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Make sure the correct recording device is selected in Audacity, that dropdown with the microphone.

Also go through the recording devices in Control Panel -> Sound -> Recording and see if anything looks off there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

e: Wait, you mean a device that has a Component passthrough? Probably only the HD PVR 1, if you can still find that.