Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Fenrir posted:

I'm still working on a test post for this, but before I even get that far I'd like some help if possible. I'm working on the DS remake for DQ6. Obviously DS games are a pain in the rear end, because of the oddly shaped screenshots no matter what you do, but there are a few issues with this game in particular:

Grab Irfanview, open the Batch resize tool, set the size to 200%, and uncheck the "Use Resample (better quality)" checkbox.

There's also Crop options to get a single DS screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Yeah I think you misread me, you need to uncheck the "Resample (better quality)" box.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

No. It's the same as setting the process' priority via the task manager.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Put a fpsnum=60000, fpsden=1001 into your FFVideoSource call, as in:

FFVideoSource("source.mp4", fpsnum=60000, fpsden=1001)

Avisynth itself can't handle dropped frames or framerate changes within a single clip, so you have to tell FFMS2 to handle that.

Also throw a ChangeFPS(30) (or ChangeFPS(30000, 1001) really but whatever) in at the end of the script, I don't think anything in FF13 actually runs at 60 FPS so it's a waste of encoding time and filesize.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 21, 2014

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Artix posted:

E: Audio cuts out before the video does. I don't know exactly how long, but it's about a quarter of a second pretty consistently once it starts desyncing.

Dunno what causes it if it's not what I posted above, but if it's a consistent desync just export the game audio track to Audacity and manually put in a 0.25s silence where it starts.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

*sigh*

MP4 is a container. You need to reencode your Lagarith footage to H.264 before uploading it to Youtube or whatever. There are several tools for this available, check the OP.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Sorry, but some variation of this comes up like every page.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

The culprit is DirectShowSource(). It sucks, do not use it, grab FFMS2 and try again.

Also unless you recorded in like 2560x1440 I wouldn't reduce the resolution like that.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Well, first off, that's a very bad example shot. You're not gonna see differences on a static, mostly black menu screen. You want something with lots of movement.

That said, there's a couple different ways to get a video out of MeGui, which steps are you using exactly? If you use the AutoEncode and don't use the "Use Profile Settings" option then yeah, it'll ignore your encoding settings.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I suspect it's a chroma subsampling issue. Instead of converting the NES movie to Cinepak, convert it to Lagarith and make sure the RGB colorspace is selected in the Lagarith options. Then upscale that to an even integer multiple (2x, 4x, 6x, ...) with Nearest Neighbor.

You might also want to check out some better encoding tools than VirtualDub.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Then convert to uncompressed.

You probably just don't have Lagarith installed though. Do that.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

quote:

Full Frames (uncompressed)

Use that, NES resolution isn't big so it won't be *too* large. Not great but the best option there.

But yes, any reason you're sticking with Nestopia when FCEUX is available?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

...why are you recording videos on a file system with 4 GB filesize limitations.

No, don't answer that.

Here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/fceultra/

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

It's an index file. Presumably, you indexed the file before moving it to your external HDD, and the index file still has the full path to the old video location. Either re-index or open up the index file in Notepad++ or something and edit the path.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think your script scared off everyone else. Here, ask if anything is unclear.

code:
AviSource("F:\Fraps\Movies\FFXIV Sastasha Test (1440x900, 5-14).avi") # <- This loads the AVI file into the invisible "last" variable
v = AviSource("F:\Fraps\Movies\FFXIV Sastasha Test (1440x900, 5-14).avi") # <- This loads the same AVI file into the "v" variable
# Don't load the same file twice like this, it's unnecessary and wastes resources, and in your case leads to unrecognized scripting errors.
v1 = v.Trim(2355, 3114) # <- Trims "v" into a smaller section, stores the result in "v1"
v2 = v.Trim(3115, 23886) ++ ChangeSpeed(Trim(3115, 23886), 9) # <- Here is a big error. 
#    ^ Trims "v" into a smaller section
#                                       ^ Trims "last" into a smaller section
#                           ^ Takes the result from the trim on "last" and changes its speed
#                        ^ Combines the Trim on "v" and the speedchanged trim on "last" into a single clip
#^ And stores the result in "v2"
# The result is a clip that first plays the 3115-23886 part from "v" at normal speed, and then the same part from "last" at 9x speed. Clearly not what you wanted.
# You probably wanted something like: v2 = v.Trim(3115, 23886).ChangeSpeed(9)
v3 = v.Trim(23887, 26904) # This stuff is repeated several times with different trims
v4 = v.Trim(26905, 29415) ++ Changespeed(Trim(26905, 29415), 9)
v5 = v.Trim(29416, 32462)
v6 = v.Trim(32463, 53627) ++ Changespeed(Trim(32463, 53627), 9)
v7 = v.Trim(53628, 57812)
v8 = v.Trim(57813, 63972) ++ Changespeed(Trim(57813, 63972), 9)
v9 = v.Trim(63973, 69892) ++ FadeOut(Trim(69893,70200), 100)
# Here the trimmed section makes sense at lest, but you're still trimming on the "last" clip that probably shouldn't exist in the first place.
aud = WavSource("F:\Fraps\Movies\Born To Be Bone.wav") # Loads a WAV into "aud".
aud = aud.SSRC(v.AudioRate()) # And perform a few operations on it
aud = aud.ConvertAudioToFloat() # though I'm not sure what the point if this one is, but it should work

v2 = v2.AudioDub(aud) # Replace the audio of the intended speedup clips with the WAV file
v4 = v4.AudioDub(aud)
v6 = v6.AudioDub(aud)
v8 = v8.AudioDub(aud)

v = v1 ++ v2 ++ v3 ++ v4 ++ v5 ++ v6 ++ v7 ++ v8 ++ v9 # combine all videos into a single clip, store it in "v"
# Note that you never do anything with "v" again after this!

Function ChangeSpeed(clip c, float factor) 
{
    return c.TimeStretch(tempo=100 * factor).AssumeFPS(c.FrameRate * factor) \
        .ChangeFPS(c.FrameRate)
}
ConvertToYV12() # Converts the video in "last" -- currently the input AVI file -- to YV12 and stores in "last"
# No explicit return statement anywhere, so Avisynth returns "last". Which in your case is the input video in YV12.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Close but not quite. Your final lines of the script are:

code:
v = v1 ++ v2 ++ v3 ++ v4 ++ v5 ++ v6 ++ v7 ++ v8 ++ v9
ConvertToYV12()
Or, to be more explicit:

code:
last = last.ConvertToYV12()
return last
Which won't do. Change it so that either last gets assigned the video now in v, or return v. Any of the following work.

code:
v = v.ConvertToYV12()
return v
code:
v.ConvertToYV12()
code:
v
ConvertToYV12()
code:
v1 ++ v2 ++ v3 ++ v4 ++ v5 ++ v6 ++ v7 ++ v8 ++ v9
ConvertToYV12()

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Technically, if your "different file" guest audio is identical, yes, you could match them up perfectly and subtract one from the other to get a clean game-audio recording.

In practice, this is going to be a lot of trial and error to find the sweet spot in both temporal location and volume. It's probably easier to put your different file guest audio where it is at the moment and add them together to boost it to an audible level.

If you want to try anyway, Audacity doesn't have a direct way to subtract one audio track from another, but if you invert one of the tracks and then add them together that has the same effect.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think your Trims are wrong, you might have based the frame numbers off the not sped up footage but you're cutting from the fast version here. If Trim tries to trim past the end of a clip it gets the last frame, which would explain why it's showing the same frame in 14 sections.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

HenryEx posted:

If you absolutely need to have a pixel perfect recording (you don't), then you can instead capture the raw RGB values, which also means that your video will be larger.

Actually you do, if you're recording at 1x on an old small-resolution sprite-based game. You'll end up with really ugly bleeding across the whole image otherwise.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Zain posted:

Last night we recorded ourselves talking over video games and the outcome wasn't stellar. Once I started the actual game recording my audio went fairly staicy. https://www.dropbox.com/s/mbyzrhrt2pj9jhr/DARKpart1.mp3 - for reference. It starts about 1-2 minutes in the actual audio file. I REALLY want to save this audio. Is there anyway I can wizard this to not crappy sounding?

I'm not sure if that's fixable. If you *really* want to save it you could just rerecord yourself, you do have a reference of how you actually sounded at the time after all, but that's probably quite a bit of work.

Though I'm not very well versed in audio editing, maybe wait if someone else has an idea.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Artix posted:

So I have a question regarding subtitles. I need to add them to a video, which I can do no problem. The thing is, I'd like to have them fade in and out, and I don't know how (or even if) I can do that in Avisynth. Is it possible, or do I need to use a program like Aegisub to get all fancy?

Create a clip with and keep the one without the subtitles and Dissolve between them. That's probably easy to adapt into a custom function, in fact.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

It's a colorspace issue. See here: http://jellyflower.github.io/blog/2012/08/02/fraps-video-too-dark-how-to-decode-fraps-video-correctly/

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

It's pretty simple really, the framerates of the three videos you're loading are slightly different. Force the framerate to a common one by doing, for example:

Video = FFVideoSource("F:\Raw footage\Sensors and Emblems.mp4", threads=1, fpsnum=30) +\
FFVideoSource("F:\Raw footage\The last Jammer.mp4", threads=1, fpsnum=30) +\
FFVideoSource("F:\Raw footage\trailer and Act 3 opening.mp4", threads=1, fpsnum=30)

As a sidenote, to prevent possible audio desync, it would be better to load and audiodub each individual video, then splice them together after dubbing the audio, using ++ (or ++\ on multiline statements) rather than what you're doing.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

It's Irfanview.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Install DirectX 9.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34429
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Although I'm a bit confused why that wouldn't be installed by default on Windows 7.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 15, 2014

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Apparently this is the right installer for Vista and up, sorry: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

If you need to remux (or, hell, even reencode) just use the commandline ffmpeg.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Run your output through qt-faststart once you're done muxing.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Not my script, but that issue is related to the "setlocal" command operating as a stack that the script never pops. See if this fixes it: http://pastebin.com/ChsQGQnN

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I see the problem but I have no idea how to fix it, because apparently there's no way to switch the delayed expansion state without creating a new scope. Batch scripts are horrible.

Try this but be aware that it could fail horribly when the OCR tool parses anything as having a word enclosed in exclamation points: http://pastebin.com/bwk0hWFC

Alternatively, use the original script and figure out how to set the recursion maximum to something higher than 32, that's puny for today's RAM.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 29, 2014

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Xenoveritas posted:

Try threads=1 in your FFVideoSource statements. (See above about FFVideoSource going all screwy if you don't.)

Do note that this issue is supposedly fixed as of version 2.18. Unfortunately, googling for "FFMS2" still brings up the old Google Code page as the first result instead of the new Github page, so many people are not aware that there's versions past 2.17.

https://github.com/FFMS/ffms2/releases

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

FFVideoSource has fpsnum and fpsden parameters to fix variable framerate files, try that maybe. Or the AssumeFPS function.

Though I wonder why that happens in the first place.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

For an admittedly quite drastic illustration of what cropping and then backsizing a small border does to a frame look at these:

http://lpix.org/1775113/example4original.png
http://lpix.org/1775114/example4scaled.png

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Mico posted:

Also Arcsoft Showbiz is discontinued update your PVR's software so that you have Hauppage Capture.

Do note that, if you still have the first HD PVR, I do not recommend this. The Happauge Capture software has created several half-corrupted recordings for me that would not load in any editing software I tried and had questionable playback behavior in MPC (not seeking properly for example).

Apparently it works much better with the PVR2 so disregard if you have that.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

8kHz is terribly low, you want at least 44.1kHz.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

This is from a 3DS capture tool, right? You probably want to capture at native DS resolution by holding Start while booting a DS game instead.

After that, crop to 256x384 and use Mastigophoran's library.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Are the resulting video and audio lengths different? Call Info() on the clip directly after loading and compare.

If yes, then that should be easily fixable by just matching those. I had a function somewhere that emulates the old VDub "change framerate to match audio" thing if you want that.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Also in case someone ends up needing them, here's the functions.

code:
function MatchVideoToAudio(clip v) {
	return MatchVideoToAudio(v, v)
}
function MatchVideoToAudio(clip video, clip audio) {
	samplerate = AudioRate(audio)
	samples = AudioLength(audio)
	seconds = samples/float(samplerate)
	return video.StretchTo(int(seconds * video.framerate))
}
function StretchTo(clip c, int number_of_frames) {
	ratio = float(number_of_frames) / float(c.FrameCount)
	return c.ChangeFPS(c.FrameRate * ratio).AssumeFPS(c.FrameRate)
}

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

More likely an issue with DirectShowSource, which is inconsistent and unreliable. Get the FFMS2 plugin for loading MP4 instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

And what does OBS give you if you set the OBS recording area resolution to 640x480?