Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010
I'm trying to do an LP with live commentary, but the only method we could find was through Twitch. We also tried screen sharing through Skype but couldn't tell if the audio was getting through. But then Twitch was having its own issues first with a huge delay (approximately minutes) and later failing connections (though this could have been just on my friend's end with his computer). If there are more reliable methods of sharing live footage for commentary LPs, what would be recommended. I'm using a Mac by the way if that's important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010
Alright, I set up a Hitbox account, though I had to download a broadcasting software. Since Xsplit is apparently Windows only, my only other option (at least offered by Hitbox) was OBS which seems to still be in alpha, so I can't expect it to be stable.

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010
I'm trying to do an LP with live co-commentary and would like to know some suggestions for screen sharing or whatever else so my co-hosts know what I'm doing. One option I know of is to start a Skype conversation and screen share from that. I am aware that there isn't much lag there but there isn't any audio sent to the other parties and I hear that Skype isn't that reliable. Another option is to use a streaming service such as Twitch, Hitbox, or YouTube streaming. From my previous experience, there is a significant time lag with streaming, though. Are there any other recommendations to accomplish this?

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010

Nidoking posted:

I've been using TeamViewer for the screen-sharing and using Voicemeeter Banana to redirect the computer's audio into the Skype/Discord call along with the actual voices. Some sort of virtual audio device, like VMB or VAC, is really the key to getting the audio to accompany the video for your co-commentators.

TeamViewer seems good. Thanks.

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010
I need some advice for audio on Mac. When streaming into a Discord channel, I have trouble having anyone else in the channel hear the audio from my game.

I have an Elgato Game Capture HD60 X and am using Soudflower and OBS. Through Audio MIDI Setup, I am able to create an "Aggregate Device" combining my microphone and the audio from my capture card and use it as my input on Discord. This is supposed to combine the audio from the two sources as a single input source. However, this method creates a source with 4 channels: 2 from my mic and 2 from the capture card. From what I could tell, Discord only broadcasts the first two channels. I can adjust some settings so those first channels come from my capture card instead, but then the others can't hear me. Is there something I can do with Audio MIDI Setup or Discord to fix this or will I need another program that will combine my two sources into a 2 channel input?

I have also tried streaming different windows from OBS: either a "preview" window or the main window for OBS itself. Both of these cases haven't resulted in the audience being able to hear my audio either. I have recorded videos which have audio just fine, and I'm able to hear the audio through OBS on my end just fine. I also believe I have been able to get it to work some time before, but I can't recall if there was anything I did in particular to accomplish it. I haven't tried streaming on Twitch or YouTube yet, so I'm not aware of if that works at this moment.

If it matters, the device I'm recording from most recently is my Steam Deck. I can stream from it through Steam, but the window has a lot of flickering sometimes, and I don't want my audience to see that if I stream that window into Discord. I haven't tried it with my other consoles, yet.