Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

I've done a few SSLP's over the years so figured I'd post my process for anyone looking for something to copy and/or paralyzed by all the options out there like I used to be. I think all of these tools are linked in the OP or otherwise easy to find:

• I use OBS Studio to capture lossless video, for extracting the screenshots later. Uses up a lot of disk space but necessary for high-quality screenshots. I'll take some notes as I play for any "live" reactions I want to capture.
  • I open up the resulting AVI file in VirtualDub2 and basically play back through it while writing up my commentary on it, pausing and picking individual frames to extract as screenshots or short clips as animated GIFs as I go. I have the menu shortcuts so thoroughly muscle-memorized I can do it in my sleep now I think. I also use it to resize the screenshots/gifs to the recommended maximum 900 pixel width as they're captured. There are other cool filters for simple effects - cropping, rotating, grayscale, etc. Probably better options out there but it's the one I learned on and it's still effective for me so I still use it. I might look at Avidemux someday.
  • For any further image manipulation, I use Irfanview. Mostly for easily cropping/resizing individual images while maintaining transparency; important for icons and stuff.
  • I write each update in basic Notepad, pulling screenshots as I go. For each image I'll put in the update text a tag for it based on the file name I gave the image (ie: [Image1]). It'll be more clear why I'm so specific on that in a moment...
  • I use ShareX to batch-upload the images for the update, and Lpix as the image host. ShareX allows copying all of the image URLs at once after a batch-upload by shift-selecting all of them. I paste this set of links into a separate Notepad file...
  • I run the command-line utility Rightload Url Replace that still works fine even though I'm uploading with ShareX these days. It takes all the image links in one Notepad file, and replaces any tags in another Notepad file with the URLs. So [Image1] becomes a fully-postable URL within image tags with a lot less work. This one step saved me so much time and frustration I can't recommend it any harder. I also keep all my commonly-reused images (for talking-heads on dialogue lines that I put in writing between screenshots, for example) in the image file so they always get automatically replaced in every update.
  • From there I just use the "Preview Reply" option when posting to make sure everything actually came out right and find/fix any typos I can. You can check the length that way as well (number of images/characters/vertical scroll space), though I agree looking for natural stopping points is better than trying to enforce some artificial minimum/maximum on any of those.
  • I use EasyPolls.net for making polls for audience input; much easier than tabulating votes, and let's you solicit input from the lurkers or others without accounts. Then I use ShareX to capture a screenshot of the page with the poll results afterward. There are tons of other options here though.

I'm probably over-simplifying a bit (for instance the exact settings I use on some of these tools were not always easy to figure out, but have been mostly left alone since then). And there are probably better options out there for some of what I do. But there you go, a quick and dirty technical guide/example for making an SSLP.

DKII fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

DMorbid posted:

If you're going to butcher the image quality with non-integer scaling to 900px wide anyway (again, I wish the Archive could at least do 960x540, which would be a clean downscale from 1080p and 4K), I'm not sure lossless recording is worth the gigantic file sizes, except maybe for pixel art games. Sure, even with poor scaling you'll get a slightly better image if the source video isn't compressed, but I don't know if that is really worth it in most cases.

It probably depends on what type of game you're capturing I guess, and how long your recording sessions are. Lately I've been capturing shorter segments of more modern but animated-style games 1920x1080 and resizing it down to 900x506 with the precise bicubic filter method; it works fine and produces a lot sharper text than if the capture is compressed instead. When I did 8-bit games though the images were small enough I actually had to scale them up instead, with a nearest neighbor filter method.