Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

TARDISman posted:

Alright, so I've got two problems. One, my co commentator insists on using Garage Band because apparently "Audacity doesn't play well with others" (gently caress if I know what that means outside of maybe he's too stupid to learn how to use Audacity), so as a result he's throwing mp3 files at me that I can't get to work with Audacity. Any recommendation on how to get either the file working in Audacity or convince the doofus to use something besides his precious preloaded Mac stuff?
Two, I'm using OBS to record and it's only giving me mp4 or flv files, neither of which are compatible with Virtual Dub, should I man up and learn AviSynth or is there a magic way to get mp4s working on Virtual Dub without using a shifty looking conversion program?

I haven't used VirtualDub much, but I believe it can read Avisynth scripts. Just download and install Avisynth, then create a text file. In it, write something like:

DirectShowSource("VideoName.mp4")
ConvertToYV12()

Then rename it to VideoName.avs. That should be enough to get it to recognise pretty much any video type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

supergreatfriend posted:

There is, AmaRecTV: http://www.amarectv.com/english/amarectv_e.htm

It's a freeware capture card monitoring/recording program, it's a much better option than VirtualDub these days. If your capture card is DirectShow compatible, then it should work in AmaRec.

This is a very good program. Its input delay is unnoticeable, so it's even good for just playing older consoles on a computer monitor.

I would recommend downloading the Ut Video Codecs for compressing the video you record. I tried using DivX before, but because it used 4:2:0 chroma subsampling (each 2x2 block of pixels is assigned the same colour value), having interlaced video meant that each pair of odd and even frames would have the same colour, resulting in ghosting. I'd recommend from that codec suite to use ULY2, which means that colour is shared only between 2x1 pixels, meaning that each row of the image (i.e. fields in the interlaced video) keeps their own colours.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

By the way Slowbeef, something I did recently with your video for Metroid Other M was to find the original video from the person who recorded it, download the 720p version for maximum quality, and combine the audio tracks along with autoducking so the volume from the game and your voices is much closer. I was also able to remove the noise from both the game's audio and your commentary. I'm not sure if I'd upload it, but it makes it more enjoyable to watch. I make a lot of my own Rifftrax videos by merging their audio with the film's soundtrack, and making sure the volume of their voices is as close to that of the film's, without being drowned out in loud noises, shares a lot of the same problems with recording LPs.

It's a shame I couldn't do the same with your Dead to Rights: Retribution LP, since you recorded it yourself, because it's my favourite out of everything you've done. I'll also check out the edited versions of some of your longplays.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Zeratanis posted:

I found resizing down to 853x480 works wonders personally. Not too big, not too small.

Unfortunately, it's not exactly 16:9, but it's close enough that you wouldn't notice any distortion. I just tried resizing it in Paint.NET to 853x480 and 1024x576, using both the bilinear and bicubic methods, and I think bicubic makes the lines stand out just a tiny bit more. For the most part, the difference was unnoticeable. 576p was a good middle ground between 480p and 720p, while maintaining a perfect 16:9 aspect ratio.

It's a shame to scale down such crisp artwork, but you don't want to end up with hundreds of similar images with only the text box being different. I'd recommend sticking with 720p, since it doesn't break tables on 1080p displays, and just transcribing all the dialogue after the screenshot, until the game switches to a new piece of artwork.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Touchfuzzy posted:

I'd just like to ask what everyone uses for their straight audio compression/conversion? I use freac, and a few searches hasn't really uncovered anything. I like freac and audacity, but I was just wondering if someone out there has found some potentially better.

Opus is apparently a very good audio codec, but since most video sites re-encode the audio into AAC, I just record the audio uncompressed, and then use MeGUI to encode it to AAC using Nero AAC.

Nero AAC is apparently better than the FAAC encoder which comes with MeGUI by default, so all you have to do is install it from here, and in MeGUI go from Options, Settings, External Program Configuration, and enter the path to the file neroAacEnc.exe.

On the main page, select "Nero AAC: scratchpad" under Encoder settings, and press Config.

Constant bitrate means that the compressed audio will use the same data rate throughout the file, regardless of how easy or difficult it is to compress (i.e., silence would use as much data as the actual audio). Adaptive bitrate means that the overall file size will be the same as constant bitrate, but the more complex parts of the audio will be allocated more data, and vice versa. Variable bitrate is the most efficient, and uses a quality variable (default 0.5) which describes how close it will attempt to get to the original audio. Quality 1.0 would mean it would try and be exactly the same, although may result in a far larger size than the original, but 0.5 is usually good enough to be close to the original audio in both size and quality.

The extension of the file can be either .mp4 or .m4a, but you can change this later, and it makes no difference when muxing the audio and video together. Just make sure that you don't give your video and audio files the exact same name if they're both .mp4's, but Avisynth will usually change the audio to videoname_new.mp4 if it sees this happening.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jul 25, 2014

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Touchfuzzy posted:

Hahaha, I really appreciate the informative post, but I was talking about actual programs/frontends, though I am glad that I'm good in using AAC.

However, I guess I completely forget that MeGUI can process just straight audio without having to use video. Speaking of such, is MeGUI still doing the weird/buggy update thing, or has that been fixed?

I use Audacity for most of my audio editing, since it's great for noise removal and autoducking. I can post a guide on that if you'd like. I tend to export it to wav, or FLAC using the minimum compression and then encode it to what I want in MeGUI before muxing it with the final video.

There are some things MeGUI can handle itself if you use an Avisynth script, and the most useful functions can be found here.

For instance, you might have one audio recording at 48 kHz, and another at 44.1 kHz, so you can use the SSRC function to resample the 44.1 kHz track. Audacity can do this itself, because it automatically resamples any tracks you add to match the first file you load. To do this, you'd use the following script:

code:
DirectShowSource("audio.mp4")
SSRC(48000)
Another useful function is TimeStretch, which can be used to speed up or slow down audio without changing the pitch. For instance, you can fix one of your tracks if it's out of sync. In Audacity, find two points in each audio track that you know are meant to happen at the same time, then measure how much time is between them. If one track has 100 seconds between them and the other has 105 seconds, then you can speed up the second track using the following script:

code:
DirectShowSource("audio2.mp4")
TimeStretch(tempo = (105.0/100.0)*100.0)
Always remember to multiply by 100, because the function considers 100 to be normal speed, 50 to be half speed, and 200 to be double speed. I forget every single time, and wonder why my 30 minute audio track will take all day to compress, because it's now 3000 minutes.

Both Avisynth and Audacity are useful tools for audio editing, but you'll also want something that can handle video as well. I'm not sure what the best free program is, but I'm used to Adobe Premiere Pro.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Nidoking posted:

I'm sorry, everyone. I've been using Avisynth for video editing all along, and now I'm informed that I'll have to stop because it doesn't actually do what it does.

(Avisynth does video just fine thank you.)

I've been using Avisynth for most of my video editing as well, especially because it's easy to find specific functions for what you want to do, such as deinterlacing and upscaling. It's just difficult to work with video and audio at the same time, since the preview window in MeGUI doesn't have any audio, and opening the script in Media Player Classic Home Cinema often desyncs them. I just tried AvsPmod, and although it does have a live preview for the video, it also doesn't have any audio, and I'm not sure about VirtualDub, since it never seemed to work on my computer.

I tried making a trailer for my student cinema entirely in Avisynth, and getting the video clips timed to the music was an absolute nightmare. While Avisynth is perfectly fine for trimming out loading screens and deaths in an LP, the timeline editor in Premiere Pro is fantastic for anything more complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Tendales posted:

It is kind of annoying getting a video player that works properly with avisynth. Virtualdub works well. VLC does not work at all. Zoom Player works, but is pretty lovely. MPC apparently works, but you might have to fiddle with codecs and stuff first.

Make sure you use the x86 version, and not the x64 one, since that won't read .avs scripts. Unless you're using some pretty demanding processes, you'll probably be able to watch it in real-time, although with some audio desync. It can also help to add a line to the script downscaling the video at the start, so the preview ends up being rendered more quickly.