Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

NGDBSS posted:

It looks like I have to compile this? Would I use Microsoft Visual C++ or something else?

nielsm posted:

Nah, just look under Releases: https://github.com/Perfare/AssetStudio/releases/
There's also some more recent pre-release versions you can try as well.

For what it's worth, I've used the x64v0.9.0 release to poke around in Night in the Woods without issue. Got me access to all the sprites, 3d models, scripts and textures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

NGDBSS posted:

I tried out that one and at least I could crack open the files. I can get access to the sprite sheets, even if reassembling the faces will be time-consuming. But I don't know how to access the scripts themselves (principally for getting all the dialogue) in a meaningful way. The game seems to have them stored in TextAsset format, but if I open those in Notepad++ or with its hex editor plugin I just get gibberish. And there aren't many other targets to dig through. Between the sprites (~70 MB), the audio (~1.4 GB), and the TextAssets (~1 GB), that's almost all the game's assets at ~2.5 GB. Is there some way I can decode these, or failing that to search through all those files at once rather than one at a time?

Sorry man, no clue other than copy/pasting from the preview window in Unity Studio. You could try contacting the developer of US to see if they can help/set you up with a version that can export TextAsset to txt or something.

I only used it for looking around for stuff that didn't make the final cut, but was still left over. Such as a partial Italian translation in the case of Night in the Woods.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

NGDBSS posted:

Just to be clear, the issue isn't that I can't get it to produce TextAsset -> .txt output. That part is fine after I used Extract All. Rather, the issue is that the .txt output I have appears to be scrambled. I dunno if this is a file format issue, something that requires decryption, or yet another problem. (Edit: As a point of contrast I should note that the Shaders and Monoscripts are in cleartext.)

Edit: If nothing else I want to make sure I'm tackling the right problem. At least you've helped me to tackle the biggest hurdle of pulling out the sprites - thanks for that.

I just checked for myself because I never really bothered with actually exporting anything, but with NitW I just use File > Load Folder, load the game's main folder, then switch to the Asset List tab and look for the TextAsset type.
Usually I just read them in the preview pane, but I got readable txt files when I selected them all and went Export > Selected assets.

If the text is also garbled in the preview pane for you then I guess they have some sort of compression or encryption going on and I got no clue how to help you further.
I'm glad to hear you at least got the sprites you were initially after, though!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Captain Capitalism posted:

Ok, got another question, and this one is a headscratcher for me.

I have a video, and I had to edit some of it, so I used avisynth. that worked great, I have an .avs file and when I play it back everything looks good. Now, how do I get that .avs file into an .avi (or any format) I can upload to youtube? I can load it up in Virtualdub (which I've used for all my other videos) but I get an error when I try to save as .avi. I tried looking this up online but nothing useful is there. What should I do?

Mainly follow this guide. https://salp.fandom.com/wiki/Encoding_with_MeGUI

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

In my opinion, the Vegas (14) mp4 rendering options are all garbage and belong in the trash. Other than that, it's fine if you want a visual editor that can do some things easier than AviSynth can, like audio stuff. Or overlay an image that moves around or something.

There's a way to set up a frameserver so you can use MeGUI to render to mp4, but I've been too :effort: to set it up myself.

Speaking of video editors, I recently came across the free editor Shotcut. It seems pretty nice, but its rendering options for targeting quality have a percentage instead of the CRF number.
It's able to use GPU acceleration for rendering, which might be nice depending on the video. When I was putzing around it made rendering quite a bit faster for one video, while it didn't seem to help the other. YMMV I guess.
Also, they plan to add the ability to open AviSynth scripts in it, which may make for a nice way to do all your basic cuts in AviSynth and then do some effects or audio stuff in the visual editor. When they get around to adding that, that is.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

zfleeman posted:

I'm pretty happy with my current capture setup via my second PC and OBS. I'm currently outputting recordings to .flv files for no real reason (maybe it's a holdover from my 'stream' tab's setup?), but I don't mind it.

I've recently cancelled my Adobe CC membership, so I'm looking for a really quick 'n' dirty way to script cutting up and stitching together some of my video files. Are .flv files easier to mess with than .mp4?

For example, if I wanted to do a lower-effort LP where the editing is maybe as involved as "Oh... I need to cut out five minutes in the middle of this file," what's the best tool for something like that?

Shotcut might be nice? https://shotcut.org/

I mentioned it in here before, but didn't get much in the way of feedback regarding possible cons or pros. The encoding settings are a bit different from what I'm used to with MeGUI et al. but it seems to put out good enough quality video.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

zfleeman posted:

Gotcha. Didn't know if there was any scripting language that could slice and dice footage. I've also been curious about DaVinci Resolve 15's free version(?).

Oh sorry, I thought you were looking for a GUI based editor. If it's scripting you want, check out AviSynth.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I was doing some test renders in Vegas Pro 14* for a video project I'm tinkering on and started having really annoying issues with DebugMode Frameserver crashing every second time I used it after installing, where it would work again once if I just installed it again over top of itself.

Turns out that a new version got released roughly a week ago specifically for 64-bit versions of Magix Vegas Pro and Premiere that seems to have fixed my problem.
https://www.debugmode.com/frameserver/

*Turns out that Shotcut can't do masking on multiple stacked chroma keyed tracks (keyed color shows in the edges of the mask) and also hilariously it can't reorder video tracks without you manually editing the order by opening the project file in notepad.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Jamesman posted:

You can also change the format that OBS outputs recordings as. I think most people use MP4 nowadays.

As I understand it, the reason to use flv or mkv is because mp4 gets completely hosed up if not properly finalized.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

OBS Studio is free and can do what you want (and more). You can just set it up to do local recordings instead of streaming.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Doc M posted:

I just noticed the OP is so out of date it doesn't even mention OBS or OBS Studio. :corsair: Considering how pretty much everyone uses OBS Studio these days, it should probably be added along with Nvidia's GeForce Experience video capture (which is what I tend to prefer for PC games).

:lol: searching the first page for OBS gives you a post from 2 years older than the latest edit that mentions both it and Studio, yet here we are with VirtualDub's screen recording capabilities still listed.

Oh, no, false alarm, OBS is there, but its name is written out fully instead of using the acronym that literally everybody uses.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I'm not disagreeing that they should be updated. I just caught myself in the last moment before posting and added the last line stating it's in there to avoid getting called out on it.

The big problem is finding someone who's willing to take the time and has the knowledge to rejigger the OP.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

If it's not too large, lpix can host mp3 files too. And I think you can ask Baldurk for an upload limit expansion?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Danaru posted:

Does anyone else always read it as "FFmpreg" at first or am I the only one this internet poisoned

I'm afraid it's terminal. Sorry.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

It's been a while since I used Vegas, but it looks like your project and render framerates are mismatched, making Vegas interpolate the 60 fps video down to 59.94 fps. You could try either setting Resample Mode to none or changing the render framerate to 60.

Or if you want to stop letting Vegas' kinda lovely encoders do their thing, you could install Debugmode FrameServer and feed the signpost avi it makes into MeGUI to encode with x264 (or x265 or whatever).

Please note that I don't even have Vegas installed anymore so I can't go look at settings to make sure I'm not talking out my rear end.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Clearly, you should apply a scanline filter to capture the original intent of the video output. :v:

Honestly, you're probably fine to just use the raw pixelated image, there's not a whole lot you can do to restore quality when its been compressed down like that without looking into AI upscaling and even then that's a rabbit hole that you're probably not gonna win with.

reported for trying to get someone to commit the war crime of enabling scanline filters

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah it still does. People have been asking nvidia to change it since NVENC existed, but.. well! I think the Windows built-in recorder is CFR at least.

Nah, Windows built-in recorder is variable framerate as well. It also does some fucky thing with the resolution if you're on a 1440p display. Here's the media info from a clip I captured. Settings were 30 fps and standard video quality.

code:
Video
ID                             : 1
Format                         : AVC
Format/Info                    : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                 : Main@L4.1
Format settings                : CABAC / 1 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC         : Yes
Format settings, Reference fra : 1 frame
Format settings, GOP           : M=1, N=29
Codec ID                       : avc1
Codec ID/Info                  : Advanced Video Coding
Duration                       : 10 min 0 s
Source duration                : 10 min 0 s
Bit rate                       : 9 696 kb/s
Width                          : 2 560 pixels
Original width                 : 1 920 pixels
Height                         : 1 440 pixels
Original height                : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio           : 16:9
Frame rate mode                : Variable
Frame rate                     : 33.097 FPS
Minimum frame rate             : 5.760 FPS
Maximum frame rate             : 144.928 FPS
Color space                    : YUV
Chroma subsampling             : 4:2:0
Bit depth                      : 8 bits
Scan type                      : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)             : 0.079
Stream size                    : 694 MiB (99%)
Source stream size             : 694 MiB (99%)
Encoded date                   : UTC 2021-06-11 18:53:03
Tagged date                    : UTC 2021-06-11 18:53:03
mdhd_Duration                  : 600117
Codec configuration box        : avcC
It looks and plays fine, but I can't shove it into Resolve without pre-processing or I get, well... Notice the weird repeat of a bit of the image and the giant green bar at the bottom.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Maybe it does better if on a 60 Hz display, but :shrug:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

If I remember right, the good news at least is that you won't have to edit your posts because it only cares about the number code and the folders are just for your own organizational needs. (And if I remember doubly right you can even just put whatever you want as filename as long as you got the number code right.)

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Odd Wilson posted:

Irfanview's got a batch converter that makes this sort of work really easy.

Go under File -> Batch conversion/Rename, make sure the output format is .png, then check "use advanced options" and then just hit the Advanced button. From there, enable resize, and probably just use the percentage scaling (200%, 300%, or 400% should be good).

Once that's done, back out to the main batch conversion menu, navigate to your folder with screenshots, add all of them. Set the output folder to something else, and then Start Batch.

To add to that, make sure the checkbox 'Use Resample function (better quality)' is disabled so you get nice and crisp sprites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Due to how the ancient gif format works, you're not gonna get a gif of that resolution (and fidelity) down to a reasonable size. That's why all the image hosting sites convert them to mp4 and stuff, which uses modern encoding techniques to get down to far smaller sizes.

You could go down that route, you wouldn't even need to sacrifice framerate or color space to get higher quality and smaller filesize. But I think the LP Archive still doesn't play nice with mp4 embeds.