Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yeah, this sort of frame blending can't really be due to interlacing. What kind of capture card do you have?

I know you own an Avermeida card dish and Avermedia center TOTALLY handles interlaced sources this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I just let MeGUI target 20 CRF and let it sort out the bitrate for me. (No Target Size/Use Profile Settings)

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

NextTime000 posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/nexttime000/b/509925177

I was using VAC for the first time to stream dark souls, and the entire time it did this weird poo poo that caused my pitch go up and down randomly. I don't know if it was my VAC settings or the lovely Hauppauge capture software that I am forced to use. Granted in-game audio was fine, just the "line 2" I was using did this; as evident when someone joined me in the mumble server for like a minute. I used the settings in the VAC tutorial in the OP, but I think I am missing something somewhere. other people in Mumble hear me fine, and I hear them fine, so it has to be something happening when I repeat the audio into line 2 or when the capture software picks it up.

also I noticed that even with all of these audio repeaters going off my mic audio on the stream was still a second or two ahead of the video :psyduck:

OBS has a setting that'll delay your microphone by 2 seconds if you need it. I've never heard of VAC changing the pitch of a line though. Buffer underflows that cause crackling and static, sure, but never a pitch change.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
My 720p videos come out to between 2000 and 2500 kbps usually.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

justdan posted:

EDIT:

Ok, this seems to work:
code:
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\ffms2.dll")
a=FFAudioSource("C:\Users\dan\Desktop\AviSynth\1\obs.mp4")
v=DirectShowSource("C:\Users\dan\Desktop\AviSynth\1\obs.mp4")

AudioDub(v, a)
I know the OP says to not use DirectShowSource, but this seemingly just works. I get both video and audio now, no errors from MPC.

I'll freely admit that I'm just throwing poo poo at the wall, trying to see what sticks, and this seems to be it ?

But still, be free to yell at me if I'm doing things horribly wrong!
Are you using one of those new encoders built into OBS that aren't x264 because that's the only thing I can think of that would cause that.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Start the video on 3 2 1 Go, cut out everything before that. It's pretty simple.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Or you could just do what I do and put the loadplugin line in Global.avsi so you never have to think about it again.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
As long as we are talking about mumble, be advised that if you record in WAV or FLAC with mumble's built in recorder there ends up being some clicking in the audio track, but if you use AU or OGG it isn't present. It's got something to do with a floating point error but the important thing is to just avoid it.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I just don't autoduck. It's just a personal preference, I find it really distracting.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

ritcheyz posted:

If I accidentally deleted the .aup Audacity file but still have the data folder, is there a way I can recover the project?

If you're lucky/been kinda light on the hard drive writing since then you could try an undeleter utility to recover the file.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Gildiss posted:

Sony Vegas is loving up for me with a single input file I have. It crashes when trying to load the audio peaks.
I get around this by cancelling the audio peaks then turning them off in view. However it will then randomly crash when working in the project with this file. I managed to get everything edited but it's a race against time to render this thing before it crashes.

How can I get this done? Split the audio and video for this and bring them in separately?

Sony Vegas just randomly crashes whenever the hell it wants.

But yeah I think exporting the audio to a Wav or MP3 and importing that instead would be worth a shot.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Tin Tim posted:

Quick question for Dxtory users: Does it pick up different games than FRAPS? Like, FRAPS only picks up direct3d/directX. Is Dxtory different?

Never had that happen myself. But maybe it could be related to what I said about FRAPS above?

FRAPS picks up more games than DxTory because Fraps can do OpenGL too and DxTory can't.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

your evil twin posted:

Back when I first started LPing I used the microphone of my Logitch headset. A little while back I decided to get a proper, dedicated microphone, and so I got myself a Blue Snowball iCE. The sound quality is indeed much better... if my mouth is right by the microphone. I've found that my voice sounds a bit echoey and distant if I set sit normally in front of my PC with the snowball sitting on its stand on the desk.

All the pictures show people just sitting normally with the snowball on the desk beside them, but I find that I either need to lean towards the microphone or pick it up so that there's just a few inches between my mouth and the snowball in order to get a nice sound that isn't echoey or distant. (Especially problematic when doing live commentary!)

I'm thinking that maybe the echo is due to the accoustics of the room - the microphone is so sensitive that it picks up my reflected voice from the walls. I'm not going to stick a bunch of noise-cancelling foam on my walls or whatever.

Does anyone have any suggestions for headsets that have good quality microphones?

I know a fair number of people here own Snowballs they may have some settings suggestions for you.

The headset I use is this, the CAD u2 usb headset. It's comfortable, circumaural, and USB.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

your evil twin posted:

Ah, interesting! Though although you say they are comfortable, ther seem to be a lot of reviews saying that they aren't. But everyone seems to agree that the microphone quality is excellent. Maybe I'll end up using my current headset ordinarily and using that CAD u2 usb just when I want to record commentary.

I've also been looking at Sennheiser headsets that are 'open', such as the PC310 or the PC 320, which keeps you cool rather than getting hot a sweaty, and also allows you to hear real-life background noise. I know some people like to be completely immersed in their game world and cut out all real-world noise, but I find it a nuisance to not be able to hear the doorbell or someone trying to talk to me.

The one thing that puts me off is that the those Sennheiser headsets have a noice-cancelling feature for the microphone. When my old Logitech headset broke, I bought a similar, newer Logitich headset, but the newer model has noice cancelling on the microphone and I found that when using it for commentary it sounded a little odd, like my voice was fading in when I started to talk, I guess it took a fraction of a second for it to realise that it was a person speaking rather than background noise that it should be cancelling out. That's what is making me interested in that CAD u2 usb, as it looks like it has a good microphone without any extra noise cancelling stuff.

One thing that annoyed me is that when I checked out reviews of the Snowball they talked about how it had three different settings. But the one I got, the Snowball iCE, doesn't seem to have any sort of switch on it, and the instructions don't mention any different settings, so I figure it is a more modern version where they removed those extra features! When I bought it I didn't know such a thing existed, I didn't even notice that it was called "Snowball iCE" and that the snowball reviews I'd watched didn't mention iCE.

So as far as I can tell, people can't give me settings suggestions as there are no settings. You just plug the thing in. Unless I'm being an idiot and missing something.

I was concerned about that at first too, but honestly unless I wear them for like 8+ hours at a time they're totally fine.

What I CAN tell you about the CAD microphone is that you want it to have the "AGC" setting off (in the windows audio control panel). I don't know why but it makes everything sound horrible.

I can't speak to Sennheiser's mic quality but I did own some HD202 headphones back in the day. The only reason I didn't reorder the same pair when they broke is because the cord was WAY too long and I kept running over it with my desk chair.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Unpowered splitters will degrade the signal and make everything super dark. This is the cheapest one I found on amazon. They can get pretty pricey.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Your other option is to do what KFJ did for FF13-2 which is scramble the cutscenes.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Anybody else not able to update MeGUI?

The error it spits out on the update window is
code:
Connecting to server: [url]http://megui.xvidvideo.ru/auto/stable/[/url]
There are 3 files which can be updated.
Updating core. File 1/3.
C:\Program Files (x86)\MeGUI\update_cache\megui-core_2500.zip is empty. Deleting file.
Error: Could not unzip C:\Program Files (x86)\MeGUI\update_cache\megui-core_2500.zip. Deleting file.
Error: Failed to download file core with error: CouldNotDownloadFile.
Updating data. File 2/3.
C:\Program Files (x86)\MeGUI\update_cache\megui-data_2443.zip is empty. Deleting file.
Error: Could not unzip C:\Program Files (x86)\MeGUI\update_cache\megui-data_2443.zip. Deleting file.
Error: Failed to download file data with error: CouldNotDownloadFile.
Updating avs. File 3/3.
C:\Program Files (x86)\MeGUI\update_cache\avisynthplus-r1576.7z is empty. Deleting file.
Error: Could not extract C:\Program Files (x86)\MeGUI\update_cache\avisynthplus-r1576.7z. Deleting file.
Error: Failed to download file avs with error: CouldNotDownloadFile.
Update completed
Error: Files which have not been successfully updated: 3

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
The only thing I've found AVIdemux useful for is getting a video file into a format that's editable, such as going from FLV to AVI. And even then it's usually a total hassle.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I'm pretty sure the aspect ratio flag is depreciated anyway. You should really just be making your videos the resolution they need to be for whatever aspect ratio you need.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

TARDISman posted:

It's not recognizing the file type when I try to import it as an audio file, and when I import it as raw data it gives me a half second of static.

This is gonna sound like a really dumb question but what's the filesize? I have a feeling your co commentator doesnt know how mp3's work.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

TARDISman posted:

...It just occurred to me that I totally hosed up the download of his commentary from Dropbox. :doh:

Well that's better than my theory, which was he renamed a .wav file to .mp3

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
The only way to do it without delay is the skype screensharing thing but it's kind of bad.

Twitch lag is now like a full minute ever since they changed how their backend works. Hitbox has minimal delay (its like 2-6 seconds depending) so that may be your best option for right now.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
CPU-Z could tell you the Brand and Model of sound card you're working with and you could go to the Manufacturer's website from there.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Why don't you just go "I'm recording 3 2 1 now" and then hit record when you say now, and sync it that way.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Uh yeah how do you think you're gonna record you saying "3 2 1 now" if skype isn't recording?

Obviously start the skype recording first.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I don't think you understand my suggestion so I will break it down as simply as I can.

Record skype.

Say 3 2 1 Go and on go start the Fraps recording. Fraps is recording the game audio and NOT SKYPE.

Go is where you line up the start of the video.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I've had youtube straight up forget to do 720p encodes from an mp4 before but I haven't had it happen in a while. In those instances muxing to MKV did always fix it though.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Touchfuzzy posted:

So I was just wondering, is the AverTV PCIe C027 still an okay card? I was looking around, and saw that it's only like 90 bux now.

Does it come with any caveats? Is it worth it to spend more for the Elgato HD/Hauppauge HDPVR 2, aside from not being tied into your computer?

There's no passthrough. You cannot record and also pump the signal out to your TV. If you want to do that you gotta go for the HDPVR or the Elgato

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
The main thing you can do to reduce lag from fraps is record to a hard drive that isn't the same one you're running windows/the game on. If it's a USB external HD? the limitations of USB is probably bottlenecking how much can be written.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I use VDub explicitly for two things.

Exporting the audio so I can put it under the commentary track, and getting frame numbers for avisynth.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

FrickenMoron posted:

Do the callers just have to watch the stuff mute?

Yes.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
the AVS script creator in MeGUI disables audio by default for reasons that i have never quite understood, make sure you edit the script to remove the audio=false line

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
If it's just a few pixels it's really not noticeable unless you're playing a game with pixel graphics.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
How would you feel if I erased YOUR pixels buddy?????

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

VivaVizer posted:

So if people want to have a guest commentator for a single player game that doesn't have coop, then I assume they need some form of screen share.

Anything is recommended?

my recommendation is to do post commentary and send a low bitrate version over dropbox.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

gatz posted:

Did Meat ever finish that new animated GIF tutorial?

Don't think so but if you just download Gooncam it basically takes all the effort out of it.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
If your PS3's video output settings are hosed you can hold down the power button for a bit to reset them.

Also Arcsoft Showbiz is discontinued update your PVR's software so that you have Hauppage Capture.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I think you may be overthinking this. The HDPVR has HDMI passthrough. If you plug your PS3 into the PVR with the Component cables, then plug the PVR into your TV with HDMI you'll be able to play on your TV and also record from the software.

code:
PS3 --> HDPVR --> TV
           ^----> Computer

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Okay, I fixed my computer...for the moment...and I'm stubbornly trying to get this stupid PVR business to work. SO:

I have the PS3 plugged into teh component cables on the PVR. I have an HDMI cable going from the PVR to the TV, to HDMI slot 3. I have the PVR hooked up to my computer via the USB. I have turned my PS3 video output to composite. I can now see the PS3 footage on the capture software on my laptop, and can now no longer see it on my TV. I have checked every input setting and there's no visual.

I'm clearly missing a step. Is there something specific I must do to trigger the HDMI pass through?

It should do it automatically. The HDMI cable my PVR2 came with was broken so I had to use a different one. the PVR should be glowing green too to indicate everything's hooked up right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
This isn't exactly an LP question but it's related, does anyone know any good sites to get old cables for old consoles on the cheap? I just moved and I can't seem to find my SNES power brick, my PS2 component cables, or my Xbox (original) power cable. Amazon has decent prices but because they're all from authorized sellers I'm getting charged a separate shipping cost on each item and the shipping's like 30 bucks for about 4 dollars worth of cables.