Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Having just finished an LP, how do you get it shoved into the LP Archive? I feel like this is an already-answered question that I'm just too blind/easily confused to figure out, as I browsed the OP and didn't feel like I found the answer I was looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Carbon dioxide posted:

There's a link with instructions from the Sandcastle OP: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=153724

Thank you very much, not sure how I missed that one.

Also, what are people's recommendations for audio hosting, if say I just want to link a single track from the game's soundtrack for a primarily screenshot post? Should I just use youtube or is there something a bit more minimalist that does the job better?

I remember Tindeck used to be popular for LP's but it appears to have melted away at some point in the last ???? years.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Yeah, going to echo here that your pronounciation is fine and perfectly understandable, the only issue is sometimes a volume one.

I wouldn't worry about your accent at all, personally I find it adds to the charm.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Does it have a way to capture images? Anyways, recording a video results in the exact same problem as above - only the map screen, not whatever is happening.

Usually I just record everything with OBS and then screenshot what loose images I need.

And does OBS fail to capture the "overlay" stuff even when told to just record the whole drat screen, rather than the specific window?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Faith For Two posted:

Is avisynth+ still a recommended way to edit videos? Should I just use a gui like avidemux intead?

I tried using it about a year ago and made 2-3 15 minute videos, each made from about 1-hour of screen-recording of my desktop.

I didn't like that every time I made a new video, I completely redid how my script looked compared to my previous video because it turned out that the way I wrote the script for my old video was dumb.

I also didn't like how the video-preview in my text editor didn't play sound, so I had to open the script in a different program to see the video+audio.

There's also http://www.vapoursynth.com/ which is allegedly an improved version avisynth. Has anyone tried this?

I've been using Avidemux for a while and of the various options I've tried it's the one that's had the most approachable GUI and the least fucky issues with not accepting various common file formats and codecs.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Dabir posted:

How can I stop this from happening? If it helps, I've been using Shadowplay to record and just uploading the results directly, but again they look absolutely fine in my local copy.

I found someone else who had the same issue and they had a couple of fixes:

quote:

Fastest work around so far for me is to put the video into Premiere Pro and export as H.264 Format, Render at Max Depth, Bitrate To max which is 240Mbps and Use Max Render Quality checked.

But they also note it only seems to happen with Shadowplay. Have you tried recording with, say, OBS and seeing if you get the same issue?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Battling .gifs down to a manageable size is hell. Personally I just switched pretty much everything animated over to short video clips snipped with avidemux instead.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'm trying to get OBS to record Return to Krondor and having not a drat bit of luck with getting it recorded "properly," in that the only way I can record it is a "display capture," and even though it displays in full screen, it records in postage stamp size.

I have this issue with both the GOG version and the Steam version. For Betrayal in Antara I originally had a similar issue, but futzing about with compatability settings eventually allowed it to record properly, but I've been having no such luck with Return to Krondor.

Any suggestions? I've tried googling the problem and just found other people with the same problem and no solutions...

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Gul Banana posted:

This is some well timed information... I'm trying to switch from an oldschool avisynth workflow to OBS + Resolve at the moment. I'm curious, why record to mkv in OBS rather than using the "Custom Output" setting and writing .mp4 files directly? Is the ffmpeg-based output less reliable?

I'm curious what Resolve can do that Avisynth/Avidemux can't. Is it just a better interface or are there some things you can do that you can't do/are a pain to do with the latter?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Me today:

"Well, that was a nice holiday from LP'ing, let's get Gothic 2 to work with OBS so I can get back in the saddle!"

[half an hour later]

"Well, that's a loving busted-rear end mess. Let's get Divinity: Original Sin 2, to work with OBS so I can get back in the saddle!"

[an hour later]

"Huh, apparently there's only one solution to make it work, and it only works for a fraction of the people who have a problem, and you need to re-do the same wizardry every time you want to record/stream! And the solution doesn't actually work for me!"

Why the heck do I always have to decide to LP the games that are reluctant to be recorded? And does anyone have a solution for recording DOS2 that doesn't involve flipping the game seemingly randomly between Windowed and Fake Fullscreen in the hope that it'll trick OBS into letting you record it? Both it and Gothic 2 are happy to let you record sound, but refuse to record any actual footage.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Thank you!

I was missing doing an LP despite how short my break was.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Is lpix.org down for anyone else?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Yeah, of course it was down when I wanted to upload some screenshots and then the moment I actually ask about it, it goes up again and I look like a moron. :v:

I was just terrified for a moment, because lpix.org going down would severely complicate screenshot LP's.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I feel like the biggest shitshow is almost always when a game has a launcher that then launches the main executable, for some reason those games are often the ones OBS has a hard time latching on to properly.

I would've just done a nice, chill DOS2 LP if OBS had been willing to record it but nooooo, now I'm doing Gothic 3 instead.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I would stay with the PNG's, the JPG looks a bit crusty around the edges and the colours a bit washed out.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

EricFate posted:

The main thing about IrfanView is that the best compression tools stopped being offered as a plug in option after version 4.57

Any particular reason behind that or did the developer just stop updating them?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Wait, lpix can do webp's? Goddammit. Goddammit, this could've saved me so much sweat and blood fiddling with super-crusty .gifs and trimming frames to slip in just under 2mb.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Don't try to distract me with things like "facts" and "logic."

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

So one (very minor) issue I'm having with uploading .webp's to Lpix is that the Lpix ShareX plugin doesn't seem to like them. Is that a settings thing or am I just going to have to manually upload my .webp's like some sort of peasant from the dark ages, trudging through the upload fields to ensure the Duke has funny animated images and won't kill my entire family out of boredom?

I usually won't have more than three, tops, per update, so it's not huge, but it is a thing.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I thought 900 was more because it fit well on the forums so it just ended up as the standard.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

theshim posted:

3) Perform image magic to make them not huge

4) Upload them through Rightload

Irfanview is great for the "image magic" part, makes it extremely simple to batch-edit a huge chunk of pictures into a smaller size.

And I believe Rightload has largely been deprecated in favour of ShareX these days, but I may be wrong about that. Still, I like ShareX a lot.

theshim posted:

1) I recall originally using Fraps for step 1 but it looks like OBS is another good option these days. Do I need to do anything to my recording settings? I sometimes use OBS for streaming and I have it save the files, but I often get freezes and stuff when I try to skip around in them, which would not be ideal if I need to take screenshots from ~1.5 hour videos. Heck, is there a specific video software I should be using to go through the recorded file?

2) Is there a best program for extracting screenshots? I know a lot of people swear by IrfanView for image manipulation, but should I be using it to take the captures themselves? Also, if I want to do gifs, is Gooncam still a good easy option? I've made a couple gifs in the past in GIMP but I recall it being a slow and agonizing process and I did not enjoy it. Also apparently webps are just better now? Is there an easy way to create those?

I generally record with OBS, then edit it with Avidemux if I need to extract short videos(for turning into .gifs/.webps or just for uploading by themselves) or if the raw video has some ugliness(for older games it's easy to end up with a black frame around the recording or similar), and for taking the screenshots I just play the video in Media Player Classic which has a screenshot button. I feel like any other approach would be overcomplicating things, and I don't encounter any freezes or the like when using MPC.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Odd Wilson posted:

Alternatively, you can take all the screenshots you think you'll need, paste all the links into one document and write the update in-between them, cutting excess and doing a second run of screenshots after for things you found you needed, but I don't think my brain could handle that.

My process is:

Record video
Take screenshots
Trim excess screenshots
Rename and rescale screenshots
Upload to lpix with ShareX
Copypaste all the URL's in one fell swoop from ShareX, including automated img tags.
Insert witty dialogue and commentary between screenshots

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Odd Wilson posted:

- Save all image links

Something I want to point out, because this thread taught me it after I had been doing it the hard and moron way for several LP's, was that from ShareX's overview of what you've uploaded, you can actually shift-select everything you've uploaded, right-click and copy it with [img] tags already applied, so you can just slap an entire LP's worth of uploaded images into a post or prep document in one go.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Arist posted:

Yep, I do this all the time. The only complications are 1) you need to scroll down to the bottom and select the first image, then scroll to the top and Shift+click the last one so they're not in reverse order; and 2) You have to make sure you upload the folder with the image's updates itself to ShareX, not the batch-selected images from inside the folder, or they'll be in a scrambled order in ShareX.

Hell, if you need to add more images at the last minute you can even tell ShareX to automatically format new uploads with BBcode tags to make it as painless as possible.

...I just select the images, not the folder, and they're never scrambled for me.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Arist posted:

It happens to me sometimes when my files aren't named numerically (like when I'm uploading a bunch of character portraits, for instance). Feel free to disregard.

Oh, yeah, that's fair. I always rename all my update images so they're numerically in order, and then I upload headshots one by one as I write the update to slot them in. This is because I am a disorderly oaf.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

How many images are you uploading at once? I'm wondering whether it might be a volume thing.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

What's the feeling on avidemux? I feel like its a pretty low-bother solution that's worked nicely for me so far.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Running Windows 3.1 games is just inherently an ultra cursed endeavour, I had so much bullshit with Betrayal in Antara that you wouldn't believe it. I got it running without resorting to DOSBox but it was a mix of compatability settings that left me deciding whether I wanted colours in a spectrum the human eye could see, functioning cutscenes or a game that didn't crash at the drop of a hat.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I would say that some things feel a bit... excessively detailed?

For instance for the "New Style" of LP recording. It's 14 steps to say:

"Record your gameplay with OBS, ShareX or the utility of your choice while playing, being mindful of lingering over things you'll want to screenshot. Afterwards, fire up the recorded video in the player of your choice and screenshot as needed, then trim the screenshots as you plan out the update, going back to snap more screenshots if you notice a poor frame or something missing."

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Falconier111 posted:

That's fair, but when I first tried to learn operating ShareX based on that level of instruction, I failed. I didn't know how to navigate any of the menus ("what do I click to record?" "I'm not seeing anything after that, is it recording?" "I know I need to screenshot important things, but every time I go to construct the update I end up going back for a dozen new shots and it's discouraging." "There's no option to upload to LPix and I don't know what a json is." "Why do all the tutorials I find cover things I don't need and make me download tools from websites I've never heard of?") and I gave up, until Explopyro broke it down for me. There's a reason I apologized in the intro if it came across as condescending, it's written for people who need to be condescended to in order to learn.

Also a fair argument. Perhaps a compromise might be having the concise version, and then below it, a detailed version.

Kamari posted:

Need help with a Mega Man II (Game Boy) Screenshot LP

This is SUPER frustrating, mainly because it's a problem it seems like no one else has or cares about. I have all my screenshots, I uploaded them to LPix at someone else's suggestion, but I have NO IDEA HOW TO POST THEM PROPERLY IN MY LP.

Please help :( what obvious function am I missing here?

If you've uploaded with ShareX, you can right-click the uploaded images(and shift-click to select multiple at once first), then choose to copy them pre-tagged with the img tag. That's usually the way I work, copy them over as a big ol' list, then insert text, talking heads, etc. between the image links. If you didn't upload with ShareX, your only option is navigating to the Lpix.org folder that has all the images(click the "see and edit your galleries"-button on the main lpix.org page) and copying the image links one by one, this is what I used to do, and it loving sucks. I would, frankly, recommend re-uploading with ShareX just so you could do it the easy way.

PurpleXVI fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 1, 2024

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Falconier111 posted:

E: can I at least quote your summary for that part to start with?

Sure! One thing that's also definitely worth telling people about with ShareX is that you can copy image links from ShareX, because lmao for like FIVE SSLP's I didn't know that and was painstakingly copypasting every single link from the lpix gallery. I hated myself so much when I figured out how much effort I had wasted.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I recently had to update OBS to get it to capture Crystal Project after that was updated, and now Windows 10 insists on slapping a lovely piss yellow border around the game window when I capture it. Not damaging, but incredibly annoying and ugly.

Is there any way to disable this? All I get when googling it is people begging OBS to fix it, posts that don't work(changing the capture method means capturing nothing), articles that only work for Windows 11, and AI trash.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

okay so what’s the best stuff for an SSLP nowadays

Use Lpix for your uploads, really, that's about it, and sharex to handle the uploading, keep image width under 900pixels if you want to upload to the LPArchive the next time there's a spate of that, but also do it for my sake since LP's with wider screenshots tends to strain my eyeballs.

Also I use avidemux for my video editing, though my needs in that regard are relatively basic. It doesn't seem to get mentioned often, but I felt lost in Davinci Resolve's UI while Avidemux feels simple to me.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

nielsm posted:

Be sure to also check the capture and editing features in ShareX, you can build some quite neat workflows with it. It's useful for much more than just uploading.

I don't like to capture screenshots while I play, too much chance of missing something. I prefer to play, then capture screenshots from video, since then I can always, for instance, scroll back, if I miss something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

DMorbid posted:

If you're going to butcher the image quality with non-integer scaling to 900px wide anyway (again, I wish the Archive could at least do 960x540, which would be a clean downscale from 1080p and 4K), I'm not sure lossless recording is worth the gigantic file sizes, except maybe for pixel art games. Sure, even with poor scaling you'll get a slightly better image if the source video isn't compressed, but I don't know if that is really worth it in most cases.

I personally found that for some games with very "muddy" graphics that are easy to parse in play but look a bit confusing at rest, cranking up the recording quality did help make it crisp enough to be more easily parsed.