Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a ModMic to use with a pair of headphones, replacing another broken LX-3000 headset.
When I tried plugging it in and recording sound samples in Audacity, I noticed that the volume of the microphone is incredibly soft. Looking at the microphone volume indicator in Windows only shows it barely getting up to one or two bars out of around 10 or so.

When I try to use it in Mumble it sounds fine as far as I can tell, while it's also audible if not a bit soft in Skype. Boosting it seems to help a bit, but introduces an excessive amount of noise unlike what I got with the LX-3000's microphone.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

El Generico posted:

Make sure that the audio playback level in Audacity isn't turned down. For a while I didn't notice Audacity's own playback level slider near the mic level slider and thought my recordings were really quiet.

It isn't just Audacity that's recording at a really low volume. When I try use my microphone when streaming using OBS or when I use Windows' own recording program, the audio is not audible at all.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

The T posted:

First thing I would do is check in: Control Panel, Sound, Recording, the Microphone, Levels, and see if it's unusually low (and if it isn't, still boost it anyway and see if that fixes poo poo)?

Sorry, I haven't really had the time to mess with this too much, it's kind of been a busy week!

Anyway, I just made a quick test recording to give you an idea of what my microphone sounds like.
If anyone has any ideas as to how I could go about fixing this, I'd really like to see your input!

Recording Audacity - This one's straight from Audacity without applying any post processing.
Recording Mumble - For this one I joined a friend's mumble server and asked him to record what I sounded like for him.
In said recordings I go from +0 dB all the way up to +30 dB using the boost microphone thing in Windows.`

As you can probably tell, my microphone sounds completely fine when speaking on Mumble, but when I try to record in Audacity, the windows recording tool or OBS, it's really soft.

If it's of any help, it's plugged directly into my MSI Z77A-G45 motherboard.

Captain Flame Guy fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 30, 2014