Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You should double check in the Retro Gaming subforum too, I’m sure someone there could give a more definitive answer. As for my claim that the MLIG guys do it, I think Corey might’ve shown it off in his game room tour from 2016?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Clearly, you should apply a scanline filter to capture the original intent of the video output. :v:

Honestly, you're probably fine to just use the raw pixelated image, there's not a whole lot you can do to restore quality when its been compressed down like that without looking into AI upscaling and even then that's a rabbit hole that you're probably not gonna win with.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

RetroTINK is probably your best bet here, they’re all more or less designed to be plug and play with little setup. Their disclaimer about Elgato cards I think is specifically about the discontinued GameCapture HD and HD60 capture cards, I use a RetroTINK 5X with my 4k60 Pro card and haven’t had any issues.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

One thing to note with Shadowplay, although I'm not sure this is still true, but I believe it records at variable framerates, which some editing programs really can't handle, notably Adobe Premiere. If your editing program of choice gradually desyncs your recording's audio, then you're gonna wanna run your recordings through Handbrake to stabilize the framerate.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Yup, that's handbrake. I don't remember running any special options on it when I needed it, I just told it to reprocess the videos and went to bed or something. I'm sure Handbrake can do a lot of really cool stuff but just reencoding videos to stabilize the framerate so that Premiere could handle it properly was everything I needed.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Jamesman posted:

What are the current options out there for getting Video Out on a 3DS?

Softmodding a new 3DS and using wifi streaming for middling quality video. (Example: a DKCR 3D stream I did almost 5 years ago).

Ordering one from https://3dscapture.com/ whenever they're in stock.

Katsukity used to do video out mods for a bunch of handhelds but I think Japanese laws have changed and their service fell into a gray area so they closed up shop so if you want one of their cards, you're gonna be scouring ebay for one of those.

There's also the option of emulating with Citra, but I'm not sure compatibility's great yet.

Edit: Here's one I haven't heard about before, the Optimize board. You'd have to find someone who can install it into a 3ds for you but it might do the trick.

http://optimize.ath.cx/shop_oversea/shop_oversea.html

Edit2: These might be the same boards that Katsukity was installing?

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 4, 2021

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Jamesman posted:

This doesn't seem that bad. Are you able to capture both screens though?

You can, but I’ve never been able to get a good framerate with bottom screen capture. There’s a newer streaming protocol that has better framerates on top screen stuff at the cost of not having bottom screen capture.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Chainclaw posted:

Anyone know of any good options for multiple video input? Ideally several HDMI and composite devices input at once. I'm maxing out what I can do via USB, and I'm running out of PCI slots, I'm running 2 PCI capture cards and I have one external USB card, but if I'm using it all at once I get stuttering or other problems. I'm open to external solutions, too.

I dunno about getting composite inputs, but I remember seeing this in an EposVox review a few months ago and it seems pretty good for consolidating multiple HDMI inputs.

https://www.elgato.com/en/cam-link-pro

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Are there good resources on fixing gradual audio desync in mp4 videos? The resources in the OP are great, but address desync for avi files, and trying to convert my 20-min mp4 videos to avi format for VirtualDub has been... a journey, let's say.

Is your recording of a variable framerate and whatever you're doing playback in can't handle it? Maybe run your recording through Handbrake to stabilize the framerate to see if that helps?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Hmm, if the problem's with Elgato's export, then something else might be the issue. In Handbrake, I'd set the output to whatever framerate you intended to record at initially, so if you intended for a 60 FPS video, set Handbrake to 60. Also see if you can find the raw .ts files or whatever format it is that Elgato recorded and check if the raw, non-MP4 files show any signs of desync.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Elgato’s old software, Game Capture HD, recorded files in a .ts container and could export to .mp4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah I just skip the frameserver so I can export a bunch of videos all at once. Adobe Media Encoder also has the ability to upload directly to youtube when its done rendering a video so I queue up all of my videos before I’m done for the night, hit go on AME, go to bed, and by the time I’m awake, everything should be done and uploaded.