Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

-Vdub issues-

I haven't read the guide on the wiki, but when I use Vdub to record stuff I used this guide from the Let's Race thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Are you using headphones while you're recording? It's very common to set audio to Stereo Mix and the audio is playing through another device like headphones and end up with no audio output. Open up the 'Playback Devices' menu by right-clicking the speaker icon on your taskbar and set your 'Speakers' to 'Set as Default Device'. That should fix it.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Darth Numbers posted:

When I do this there's no dissolve or anything, it just shows the first clip and nothing else. What did I do wrong? ^^;

You should probably put the dissolve in its own clip variable like, "finalcut = dissolve(trim(a, 1376, 0), trim(b, 60, 0), 40)" then add "return finalcut" at the end of the script.

E: also your crop needs to bring in your dissolve clip, in my example it's finalcut and return the last clip.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 6, 2015

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Darth Numbers posted:

Sorry-- can you explain how to format that? Using your example I don't get the resize or the crop like you said, do I put the pointresize and crop within the finalcut? Thanks!

a = avisource("C:\users\eric\desktop\toi lp poo poo\videos\luca mystic arte.avi")
b = avisource("C:\users\eric\desktop\toi lp poo poo\videos\spada mystic arte.avi")
c = avisource("C:\users\eric\desktop\toi lp poo poo\videos\ange mystic arte.avi")
d = avisource("C:\users\eric\desktop\toi lp poo poo\videos\hermana mystic arte.avi")
e = avisource("C:\users\eric\desktop\toi lp poo poo\videos\iria mystic arte.avi")
f = avisource("C:\users\eric\desktop\toi lp poo poo\videos\mystic artes.avi")
g = dissolve(trim(a, 1376, 0), trim(b, 60, 0), 40)
h = Crop(g,0,0,-0,-191)

^^This is gonna crop both a and b, so if you don't want that put this before the dissolve clip and crop "a" then pass that to the dissolve.

/*g = Crop(a,0,0,-0,-191)

h = dissolve(trim(g, 1376, 0), trim(b, 60, 0), 40) */

finalcut = PointResize(h,1024, 768)

return finalcut

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 6, 2015

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Darth Numbers posted:

So you define the dissolve as a clip of it's own? That makes sense, okay.

What's the business withing /* and */? Is that just comments?

Yeah, they're just commented-out code just in case you copy/pasted and tried to playback the results. It's just the reverse of your dissolve>crop. (crop>dissolve)

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 6, 2015

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

davidspackage posted:

I'm trying to record a game that Fraps absolutely refuses to capture, so I returned to its lesser cousin Camtasia (version 8) to record it. Problem is, I want to do my editing in Premiere Pro, and for some reason any avi file (whether uncompressed, Camtasia's own Techsmith codec, or Lagarith) that is longer than about 7 minutes, when imported into Premiere Pro, is stubbornly cut to about 1 to 1,5 minutes of length.

I've tried googling the issue and found no solution, and I think I've fruitlessly asked about it in this thread before, but... maybe someone knows a solution?

Or: a suggestion for different recording software to try instead of Fraps or Camtasia? Note that I use these because I like the sharp pixely result they capture from older games.

I've ran into this a bunch. What I usually do when this happens is open the file in Virtualdub and re-export it with the "Save as AVI" and import that into Premiere. (Be sure to set video/audio to direct stream copy in VD. Video>Direct Stream Copy.)

If that doesn't work you can use VirtualDub to cut your file into smaller/shorter avi's with the "save segmented AVI" option. (It's a pain in the rear end to use as it'll poo poo out a bunch of segments if the length of the file is pretty long, but for the most part it works.)

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I use these compression settings for my snowball mic, and it works well for me so far.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

There's also Hitfilm Express which is alright. (Though, you're limited in what codecs you're allowed to export with.)

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Epicmissingno posted:

I'm having a bit of a problem with the LP I'm currently planning, Dragon Quest IX. I want to use the in-game NPC sprites in my dialogue portraits, but I can't seem to find the things anywhere on the internet. I'm thinking it's because they're all billboarded or something, so nobody could be bothered with screenshotting them and putting them on a sprite sheet. As such, I decided to have a look in the game files to see if I could find anything, but unfortunately I'm hopelessly inexperienced with this sort of thing and can't find any of them, let alone getting the right palette and mixing the two together to get the sprites I need.

Essentially, what I'm trying to say is this: would someone with more experience be willing to help me with ripping these sprites from the game files?

If you're using deSumuME, in the tools tab there's an option to disable layers rendered on screen. Disabling all the layers except the one with sprites on it would give you a screenshot you can easily alpha out the background, but it doesn't work for every game. And for DQIX, it doesn't sadly. Unless you mean you want mugshots from the 3D models then you can disable the text box layer at least: (I tried to find the sprites you're talking about, but I forgot that trying to rush through a JRPG opening is a fool's errand)

You could also do this the painful way, and take screenshots of the sprites and paint out the background with gimp or something. That's what I usually do 90% of the time I need sprite rips and can't find them readily available.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 29, 2018

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

Because it's old enough to still earnestly suggest Windows Movie Maker

If I can make AMVs in it, it's good enough for me.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

this is embarrassing to ask, but can someone recommend me some quick and handy software for making video clips? i just recorded a good hour of sophie 2 footage with elgato's 4k capture utility, and where i'd previously use elgato's built-in video editor software to make clips, this new software doesn't seem to have that functionality anymore.

Here's a free few options
Option 2

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I could be wrong but you might be able to feed handbrake the .ts files and have it do the encoding instead.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Shot in the dark, but you might be able to fix it by re-encoding it through something like handbrake or FFmpeg. It could be a weird decoding problem.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Leal posted:

Until Divinci adds a simple button that autoducks in the program (no, exporting the audio, importing to audacity, ducking, exporting out of audacity and importing back into divinci doesn't count) I shall continue to use premier

You can't escape the bus chain workflow. :ghost:

I'll also vouch for Divinci's powerful audio editing tools

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 27, 2023

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

RE: Video editors

No one should ever "pay" for a video editor in tyool 2024. There's a butt load of free editors out there including freaking Blender of all things.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

Resolve's big two shortcomings if you don't pay are 1) can't render output to above 1080p and 2) getting mkv files in sucks, otherwise it's pretty feature complete

That and H.264 encoding is CPU-bound.

Resolve is massively powerful. You can do a lot with just the free version. You just have to put in the extra work in learning its other workspaces like Fusion and Fairlight.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 5, 2024