Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Tiggum posted:

I don't know if this is the thread to ask this in or if there's a specific one for streaming?

Anyway, I've been streaming some Doom 2 on Twitch and got that working fine, but whenever I try to stream any game made within the last 20 years I get terrible lag. I can play these games fine (my latest upgrade was some RAM I needed to run Horizon Zero Dawn, which now runs perfectly well), but if I try to stream them then either the stream or the actual game lags noticeably (or both do). I'm just using OBS with its built-in Twitch functionality, a USB webcam, USB microphone and wired ethernet.

Is there something I can try to fix this without spending money, or is it simply a case of "old computer can't handle this"? And if it's the hardware, what would be my best bet for fixing it? Upgrading one or more components or is the whole thing just too old and I need a new one?

I am not good with computer, but here is some information (please let me know if more/different information is required):

The culprit is probably the CPU, it only has two cores and is pretty old. Especially if you bought it back when it came out or bought it use it's probably also got worse over time. For streaming you need a pretty good CPU and GPU (though, your GPU seems fine, I'm just not sure it has an encoder, it's just old enough to where it might not)

E: It'd help if you also shared your streaming settings

Most importantly:
Frames per Second (with your rig, don't go over 30)
Canvas Size (should be the same as output size to avoid resources being used for scaling, this has more of an effect than most people realize)
Output Size (720p seems the most your rig should handle)
Just the entire streaming tab of your output options to be safe.

Knowing these we might be able to help you cut some corners but it's not gonna do magic. However, it's worth a shot.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Nov 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

5-Headed Snake God posted:

I'm having some serious audio desync issues in my recordings lately. It's not a desync-over-time issue; the audio is noticeably off right from the start. As an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3bIH77OBMw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uIlCY4EgGc

The first video was recorded for my current LP and has perfectly synced audio. The second is the start of the same scene, recorded this morning. The desync is most noticeable on the sounds that play when the background changes and when the minstrel smacks his guitar before beginning to play.

I've checked online and tried adjusting the audio sync offset, but it hasn't had any effect that I've been able to find. I also haven't made any changes to my recording settings recently that would account for this very sudden problem. Does anyone have a possible fix for this?

If you can't pin the issue down to your hardware or your settings the best way is probably to fix it in post.

Sometimes desync occurs because of hardware constraints. Are you running additional programs in the background, perhaps?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Natural 20 posted:

Just a general question about using Adobe Premiere.

My process is OBS->Adobe Premiere for Editing->Frameserver->MegUi for encoding. I've done this for about five years or so.

Is this still considered best practice if you're using premiere?

For more context about why I'm questioning this:

I send from the Frameserver to MegUi using:

AviSource("Episode 03.avi")
ConvertToYV12()

Inside a .avs file which I manually edit before I encode. I can't imagine it is the most efficient way of getting things done.

There was a time when I still used premiere, when I did just that until I realized it's not really worth it for quality or filesize. And just directly encoded thevideo. So yeah, I'll just agree with the others.

In goon LP there's a lot of strange and outdated practices still making the rounds as best practices. And hey, if it works for you, then do whatever. But in this case, you can simply skip an unnecessary step. No real reason to do it

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Unrwlated, but DaVinci is the best thing to happen to video editing. Because it's professional grade and has a fully featured free version. I paid for it though because I like the product. A non lovely business model working as intended.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

DoubleNegative posted:

Hardware encoding is like magic and should be used if you have the option. Using Resolves UI to make a bunch of edits that would be nightmares in Avisynth is also like magic. It's really intuitive, and the few things that aren't are a quick google away. Also, Resolve supports hardware encoding, so just use that and be done with edits and encoding in less than an hour! Just remember to tell Resolve to encode with h265 because apparently that supports gpu encoding while h264 evidently costs money and so does not let you use your gpu. :shrug:

My last Links Awakening video was 35 minutes or so, and the final encode in its 1080/60 glory took like 22 minutes total. The part of all this that took the longest was youtubes hour-and-a-half processing.

You only get hardware encoding in the studio version, though. That is nvenc and A1 hardware encoding

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

Any recommendations for a free video editor? I want to record and edit some audio via Audacity and some game footage via OBS, but apparently OBS doesn't come with an 'add audio' function, and I was wondering if there were any tools that might have come out since the OP post update in '21.

DaVinci Resolve.
It has a fully featured free version, the main annoyance of which is that you get an error message if you accidentally try to use a paid feature, but you just close those. It's more than enough for the use of any LPer.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Yeah, but really, in that case, just go with DaVinci Resolve's free version. It is better than any paid software I've ever used. No, really, it's that good, that's why I shill it. Can't wait for them to ruin it in the next 10-20 years, but right now, you're getting pro grade tools for free.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Nah, it's just that no one wants to write a new op, tragically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

I think lossless video is overkill in most cases anyway. But it does make sense for SSLPs. You ideally don't want them to have both video compression artifacts and jpeg compression artifacts on them. This will be especially noticeable on games with a lot of movement.

If you don't want to go lossless, the best way to do it is probably to crank up the resolution a bit, with higher resolution files your filesize will blow up too, but not as bad as with lossless files, but at the same time compression artifacts will become more subtle. Yeah yeah, I know "play and record in the game's native resolution" has been the adage for a while, but if lossless files are too much for you and you still want your stuff to look better, doubling the resolution and later downscaling it to something more manageable can be a good move.

It's not perfect, but more economic. Files will still be bigger, but not lossless huge. As a trade-off, they will also be a little lossy, but it's harder to notice than on lower res files. Basically, the larger your resolution the more you can get away with.